Friday, May 25, 2007

You Raise Me Up

I was shaking so badly as I drove around, I didn’t know where I was going, I just knew I had to get away from him. Well you can’t drive around forever, I thought as I passed the same building for the third time. Go visit someone, maybe they can help you figure this out.

The first one who popped into my head was Nick, but he’s Jordan’s brother so that wouldn’t work. Then I turned towards Bella’s before I remembered that she was seeing Jordan. Try as I might I couldn’t think of anyone of my friends I could visit, every friend I had was either friends with Jordan or connected to him somehow. And he thinks Josh is trying to control my life?? I laughed at the irony in that.

There was only one place I could go where I knew that I wouldn’t have to worry about them looking out for Jordan’s interests over mine, at least they better not! I turned my car in that direction, hoping that they would have time to talk to me this morning.

The front door opened as I got out of car.

“But daddy,” Cassie whined as Zack shooed her and her sisters out of the house. “Mom would let me drive to school.”

“Yeah well your mom also said ‘I do’ to me, so I know she’s crazy.” Zack chuckled, “Now get out of here, if you miss the bus you are walking!”

I had to laugh as I made my way to them, “And trust me girls, he’ll make you do it too!” They younger two sped off down the lane but Cassie hung back.

“It’s not fair Aunt Anna; daddy still treats me like a little girl!” She turned to Zack, “I’m 16 you know!”

“And you still call me ‘daddy’. Come give daddy a kiss goodbye baby,” Zack held out his arms and moved towards her, making kissing noises as he went.

“You need help,” Cassie informed him but she still gave him a kiss on the cheek before she went to join her sisters to wait for the bus.

We stood on the front step until the bus came to get the girls. Then finally Zack turned to me, “Now what do I owe this honor Anna?” He asked as he led me into the house. I tried to tell him that I just wanted to come for a visit but he damn near laughed in my face. “This early in the morning Anna?” He shook his head, “I know better than that, there’s something wrong, what’s going on?”

“Is Mary home?” I asked, I didn’t really want to talk to him about what was going on.

“No, she’s at Chad’s until Sunday,” he told me. When I asked why she was there he stopped and gave me a funny look. “She’s helping Susan with packing and cleaning.”

“Why? Are they moving?”

“You are kidding right?” When I told him ‘no’, he shook his head. “Anna where the hell have you been? Chad and Susan are moving down here on Sunday!” I was shocked, where the hell have I been?

We ended up in the kitchen, Zack got himself a coffee and me some orange juice before he joined me at the table, “I guess it shouldn’t surprise me that you didn’t know. We haven’t really seen you much since Christmas break.” He took a sip from his mug. “Why don’t you tell me what you’ve been up too? Starting with this,” he grabbed my hand and pointed to the ring on my finger. “Funny, I don’t recall anyone coming to me to ask for your hand in marriage.”

“It’s not an engagement ring,” I told him but he didn’t believe me. “Zack, I’m serious!”

He looked closer at the ring, he didn’t seem too happy to have any ring there, no matter what it was. “Then why don’t you tell me what it is.”

So I did, I launched into the story of Josh’s grandparents and how I ended up with the ring and the cross necklace. I wasn’t going to tell him anything else, I didn’t think he’d want to know but I found that I couldn’t stop talking when I wanted too. I ended up telling him everything from the time I last spent any amount of time with him and my family to this morning when I ran out of the house. He was silent the entire time although he did show some emotion when I told him about Josh asking me to move in and Jordan’s advances.

“I don’t know what to do Zack. I love him, I know I do but I don’t know if I want to move in to with him just now, I can’t help but wonder if he is only asking now because of Jordan, and it’s not even like Josh’s apartment is big enough for both of us and Jess.” I sighed, “I know I can’t stay at Jordan’s anymore,” I told him.

Zack pushed away from the table and stood up. “Unbelievable! What the hell are they thinking? Seriously?” I jumped back in my chair, I didn’t think he would react like this. I knew he wouldn’t be happy but he seemed so mad. “You’re damn right you aren’t staying at Jordan’s any longer and there’s no way in hell I’m letting you move in with Josh! It’s way too soon, you aren’t doing it!”

“But I’m old…”

“I don’t care how old you are, you came to me for advice, help or whatever and that’s exactly what you are getting.” He leaned down, one hand resting on the back of my chair and the other on the table in front of me. “I know you love Josh and I know that Jordan is your best friend but neither one of them should be doing this to you. You need to get away from the both of them and figure out what you really want.”

“What are you suggesting?”

“I’m not suggesting anything Anna, I’m telling you. You are moving out of Jordan’s house and you are coming home!”

“No, I’m not! Zack I can’t do that, it wouldn’t help me at all.”

“But living with Jordan and being constantly torn between two guys that mean a lot to you help?”

“I can move out on my own! I don’t need to come back here.”

“Do you have $2400 Anna?” When I asked him what he was talking about he sighed. “It costs $800 to rent a 2 bedroom apartment in town. The rental companies require first and lasts months rent and the damage deposit before you even move in. Do you have that kind of money just sitting around Anna? Can you afford to pay $800 a month plus utilities, on top of all the other bills you have?”

I tried to say that I could do it but with a car payment, insurance, health care, and every thing else, I knew that it would be tough; I didn’t make that much working. “I could get a second job Zack.”

“You could Anna, you’d be working all the time just to pay for something you didn’t even need in the beginning. You can come home, I told you that before and so has Mary.”

“I know,” I told him. “But living at home? Now?” I didn’t want to say it but I didn’t want to feel like a loser after being out of the house for so long.

“There’s nothing wrong with living at home Anna. It’s the one place you should go when you have nowhere else to go.”

I started to say I could move in with Josh, “Like hell you will!” Zack snapped. “I don’t know what the hell he thinks he’s doing but there’s no way that you are living with him. You only just started dating Anna! It’s way too fast for a big commitment like that. Josh is a good guy, I have nothing against him but he is 32 and looking for someone to spend the rest of his life with. I’m not saying that person isn’t you, it could very well be. I just don’t want you to be so caught up in his life that you forget you have one too.”

“Even if it’s only for a little while, you are moving back home. Please don’t argue with me about it either, I’m only trying to help you.”

I knew it, I did. I think that deep down that was the reason I went out there that morning. I wanted him to tell me I could come home.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I want to thank all of your for your kind words and thoughts, it helps a lot. I wasn't going to write today, I wasn't really in the modd but reading your words made me want to write. Writing has always been a way for me to release some of the stress and anger I feel sometimes.

My sister is handling this better than I thought she would, she seems to realize that it wasn't her fault; that there was some reason that the baby didn't make it, which I thought was a good thing. The hardest moment for her was when she had to tell her 4 year old that the baby was gone, my nephew was so excited about the baby, even though he already has two younger siblings. He started to cry and asked her why God killed the baby. How do you explain it to a kid so that he understands?

I spent most of the day with her yesterday, just being there for her and it seemed to help both of us.

I hope you all have a great day.

Angela

Anonymous said...

Oh that would be so hard to explain it to a 4 year old. I know when my grandma died, my 5 year old was heartbroken but was reassured when we told her that god needed grandma up there to keep him company and bake cookies for him. Maybe something like that would work with your nephew (although sometimes little boys can be so much more emotional than little girls). All the best, our thoughts are with you and your family.

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are also with you and your sister. I don't have any children of my own, but I absolutley love them and I can't even imagine how hard it would be to lose one.
I think that it would be a very good idea for Anna to move back home. She definately needs to spend some time away from Jordon and I think its too soon to move in with Josh. She needs some time to herself.

tita said...

ouch....
I know how you feel Angela; my brother and his wife lost their baby 4 months ago.....it was very hard because my sister is pregnant too and they'd be for about the same weeks......It's hard for my sister in law to see my sister when she could be in the same situation.....But God knows the reason why these things happened, an dalthough it's hard he'll help your sister through this sorrow.

About Anna; I thinks this is the best thing you can do, go back home with your family, Jordan's been a jerk lately and Josh is trying to get accostummed himself to spend more time with Jesse...anyway....

XOXO

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you were able to spend time with your sister. Losing someone is SO hard to explain to children especially when we don't even know how or why it happened. When my inlaws both passed away within a short amount of time, I just explained to my children they were too sick and God needed to take care of them now. I also told them another time that God needed another angel. I hope your sister continues to be strong. Hang in there....

Anna couldn't have chose a better place to go. She needs her family right now and time away to think everything through.
~Mookie

Anna said...

I just wanted to let everyone know that I'm not posting here today. I'm having trouble thinking straight...I had to cut the entry on the other blog short because my head hurts so much.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend. I should have something for you tomorrow here...~s~

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update Angela. Take care of yourself & family! I read the other blog and it actually seemed realistic that Amber wouldn't have time to post with TWO dates going on. We'll be patient and can't wait to see you when things are "better".

Staceu

Mehreen said...

That is the saddest thing I've ever read! (Your comment, not the blog) I feel awful for your sister and your nephew and you. I hope you feel better soon...As for Anna, I don't think she should throw in the towel and move home so quickly, she and Jordan have been friends forever and I have faith that they can work it out, but I'd rather her go home than live with Josh!

The Middle Child said...

Sorry to hear about your sister. I hope she starts feeling better soon and doesn't give up.