Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Some Times You Just Want To Scream

Telling Josh about Jenna wasn’t as big a deal as I thought it would be. I was all ready to tell him why I needed to be there for Jordan tonight but he surprised the hell out of me.

“The first night alone with your child is very scary,” he said softly. “I remember the first time Jesse stayed with me he cried for a good hour. I tried everything I could to stop him but he just wouldn’t quit.”

“So what did you do? Why did he finally stop?”

Josh chuckled, “He fell asleep! I’m not a perfect father Anna, I did some stuff that I probably shouldn’t have but I needed to learn what had to be done. Just like Jordan does and having someone there to help when you are at your wit’s end is a good thing. Just don’t take over right away.”

“Oh,” I felt a little disappointed that he didn’t seem to care that I wouldn’t be at his place tonight. “Did you still want me to come over now?”

Josh hesitated, “That’s actually why I was calling. I’m still at the school, there is a last minute meeting with some guy from the school board. I’m not able to get out of here for another hour or so. I was wondering if you wouldn’t mind waiting for Jesse for me.” He asked but then he spoke again before I could answer. “I know I asked you last week too and I promise it won’t happen like this all the time, I just can’t get out of this meeting. Trust me, I tried.”

I told him I didn’t mind at all, “But will Carol leave him with me?”

“I’ll try to call her but I don’t know if I’ll get a hold of her. They have to leave him with whoever I ask to be there, it’s in the custody papers because I’m still working when they want to drop him off; you are on the list of approved people along with my family.” When I told him I didn’t know he did that, he told me that he meant to tell me. “You don’t mind, do you?”

Did I mind? “Of course not!” I exclaimed, “I’m totally ok with it!” I heard some talking on his end of the line and he told me that he had to go.

As soon as I hung up, I told Jenna we were going to Josh’s place to wait for Jesse; she didn’t seem too interested in what I was saying though.

We had just stepping into Josh’s apartment; long enough to take off our boots and jackets, when there was a knock at the door. I set Jenna down in the middle of the living room with a couple of Jesse’s toys and then went to answer the door.

“Where’s Josh?” Was the greeting I got when I opened the door.

“He’s still at school, you know that.” I told her as I looked down at Jesse who didn’t seem too happy. “Hey sweetie,” I knelt down to him, “How are you doing?”

Jesse wiped his hand across his face and sighed, “I no good Ama.”

Frowning, I reached out my hand to him and he took it, “What do you mean?” Instead of answering me, he walked towards me and wrapped one arm around my neck. “Jess?” I shot Carol a questioning look.

She seemed uneasy as she stood there, “I think he’s getting the flu,” she told me.

I looked back at Jesse or at the side of his head because he was leaning against me. “Jesse, let me look at you,” I pushed him back from me and he started to whine, he didn’t want to move. He was pale but his little cheeks were bright red, when I first saw him I thought it was because of the cold but when I touched his forehead I knew it wasn’t. “He’s burning up!”

“Ama I no good,” he said again, his eyes barely open as he rubbed his ear.

“Does your ear hurt Jesse?” He didn’t say anything, he just nodded. “Did it just start hurting sweetie?” He shook his head, “When did it start?”

He yawned, “I tired Ama.” I picked him up, his clothing felt damp.

“How long has his ear been hurting? Did you take him to the doctor?” I asked Carol.

“He didn’t tell me his ear was hurting,” she said and looked everywhere but at me.

Jesse lifted his head off my shoulder and looked at his mom, “Mommy say daddy make me feel better.”

“Oh did she?” I raised a brow, “When did mommy say that?”

“Mommy say daddy make me feel better….I sleep,” he dropped his head to my shoulder again, “Daddy home Ama?”

When I told him Josh was still at work he started to whine. Then suddenly his whines stopped and he wiggled to get down. I put him down because I thought I was going to drop him and he took off down the hall. He made the left turn to the bathroom and then I heard him crying. I went to ask him what was wrong when he peeked around the corner, “I no good Ama!” Then he saw Jenna stumbling towards him and he whined, “No baby! Go way! I no good!”

“Well I better go,” Carol said and had moved from the door way when I turned around.

“Hey!” I grabbed hold of her arm. “You aren’t going anywhere until you tell me what the hell is going on!”

“What’s to tell? Jesse isn’t feeling good.”

“I no good,” Jesse whined. “I stink!”

“What?” I looked at him and he was trying to undo his pants. “What are you doing?”

“I stink,” he repeated and pulled down his pants and underwear, I saw what he meant, he crapped his pants. I turned to Carol, “How many times has he done that?”

Carol shrugged, “I didn’t count.”

And that’s when I lost it.

“What the hell is wrong with you? What kind of mother are you? Jesse is obviously sick; he’s got a fever, ear ache, diarrhea and isn’t himself! Why the hell didn’t you take him to the doctor?”

“Well I –”

“No,” I held up my hands. “I don’t want to hear your excuses. How could you bring him here like this? Do you have any idea how upset Josh is going to be? You know what he’s going to do the minute he hears this!”

“And what is he going to do Anna?” Phil’s voice came from the stairway. “Is Josh going to try for full custody?” He quickly closed the distance between us, “Let him have the little bastard, he’ll be doing us a favor.”

I couldn’t believe what I just heard; I tried to give Phil a dirty look but it was the look on Carol’s face when he said that, that got my attention, her jaw dropped. “Phil, that’s my son you are talking about!”

Phil turned to her, the look in his eyes made me jump back, I was glad I wasn’t on the receiving end. “I’m going down to the car,” he turned and started to walk away. “I suggest you follow or find somewhere else to spend the night.”

Carol started to walk away but I stopped her, “Please just let me go Anna.” She wouldn’t look at me and that worried me somehow but I let her go. She hesitated on the first step, “Jesse has been telling me he wasn’t good for a couple days now,” she looked back at me, tears in her eyes. “Phil wouldn’t let me take him to the doctor, he told me taking him to the doctor was aiding in making Jesse weak like Josh.”

“Josh isn’t weak and you should’ve taken Jess to the doctor,” I told her.

She nodded, “I know.”

And then she disappeared down the stairs.

I walked back into Josh’s apartment, so mad at Carol but even more mad at Phil. I wanted to call Josh but the moment I looked at Jess, I knew I had to get him to the doctor.

He had another ‘accident’ in the bathroom while I was talking to Carol. “I no good,” he cried when I went in to see to him.

22 comments:

Anna said...

Good morning everyone

I'm expecting lots of comments on this entry...it's not a 'feel good' one in any way. In fact, I'm a little upset now after writing it....

I hope you all have a good day...

Anonymous said...

Obviously Phil is the one abusing Jesse and Carol. It is so sad that this happened but thankfully it may be the thing Josh needs to get full custody.
Amanda

Anonymous said...

don't be upset, GREAT POST! It give all of an insight into Phil and Carol's relationship, at first I wasn't sure if it was Carol that was "hurting " Jesse, or if it was Phil. I now know it's BOTH of them! Carol reminds me a lot of myself when I was younge and married for the first time- WEAK! Although my child always came first! I hope that Josh will soon get full custody of Jesse, and the he, Carol, and Anna can work together to bring Phil down, what a great twist that would be!

Kelley

Anonymous said...

This is horrible. Not the post, your great Anna. But the thoughts of what this little boy has been thru are horrible.

Sandy

Anonymous said...

I had a similar experience with our kids before we married. Mom left them home alone and I drove 30 miles to get them. Left a note, went by the police dept. and told them they were home alone, and took them home with me until their dad came in from out of town. I could have gone to jail, but two kids (ages 6 and 9) shouldn't be left alone! Anna did the right thing!!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! i can't believe Carol! whatever Phil thinks, she AS A MOTHER, should know that she needed to get her son to the docter!! Isn't your kids health the most important thing?? why carry it for nine months if you treat it like crap after it's born?
And if Phil thinks she's weak and leave her, then he isn't worth it in the first place!!

Anonymous said...

this is the saddest thing i've ever heard. i kinda feel like crying now. :( for the sake of my sanity, i hope josh gets full custody of jesse. i can't handle any more of phil and carol's crap.

Anonymous said...

THAT B%@#$!!!!

I cannot believe that she would do that (well, yes I can), she MUST BE CRAZY, to let her own son be that sick and not do a damn thing about it, aahhhhh!!

PHIL and CAROL deserve each other.

That POOR BABY to suffer like that, Carol should give FULL CUSTODY to JOSH, she deserves to lose custody of JESSE.

Great POST Anna!!

G

PCS said...

Agree with all f you !!
But I think now probably theyre gonna realize that Carol is not such a bitch but that Phil is the mean one causing all the trouble... Probably he wanted Carol to give Jesse up but she wouldnt and he made her life hell for that...

Did I make sense???
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Wow, that was a tough one to read. But i'm hoping that makes the case solid. I hope that poor boy never has to go back to his mom. Poor baby.

Anonymous said...

he probably made her not take the kid to she the docs just as she said, I bet he is mentally abusing her

Anonymous said...

That was a great entry Anna! I love all of yours but I'm a big fan of the 'grittier' stuff than the happy stuff. Yeah I'm a drama fiend, but it was good. Plus there is the problem of dealing with neglect which is like abuse, and custody as well as a sick child. Heaven knows I'm no good there!

Anonymous said...

That entry was really hard to read. I just wanted to hug Jesse SO bad. He needs some major TLC. I also feel like strangling Phil and slapping some sense into Carol. Jesse is a baby and needs someone to stand up for his needs. GO GET EM, JOSH!!!!!!!

Great post Anna

Anonymous said...

Oh, poor Jesse! I cannot even fathom a mother's understanding for not helping her son. I know that Phil is probably the one to blame but still she should have done something! If I were Anna, I would have gone balistic on both of them!

The Middle Child said...

I can't believe she is letting him abuse them in that way. If someone ever told me taking my son to the doctor would make him week I would be handing them their walking papers....period, the end!

Anonymous said...

OH NO! I hope Phil wasn't so against taking Jesse to the doctor b/c he has bruises or anything!!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like Carol needs to ditch Phil... I feel bad for her! I bet he beats her and maybe Jess! She needs to get out of there for her son and for her!!!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

Wow! Poor Jesse! I have a question because I can't remember - is Carol pregnant with Phil's child now? I don't know why I was thinking that.

It shouldn't matter to Carol what Phil says, because it might not be the best situation, but you know Josh would help her to help Jesse. If Phil wants to kick Carol out I think Josh would help her.

Also, I have a feeling this might have ramifications for Jordy if Jenna gets sick! First time she lets him have her overnight and she comes home with an ear infection, fever, etc.

Stacey

Shar said...

OMG! Poor Jesse! Didn't Anna's brother have some information on Phil? Hmmm...I wonder if it will come out soon.

Carol needs to get her act together if she wants to keep her son. A man is no excuse to neglect your kid.

Oh, I'm so mad!

:)

Anonymous said...

Oh that was a good post! I'm on the "Carol is a B%^%&" bandwagon, but I wish that Carol had stayed there with Anna! SOMETHING is going on with that woman that she acts likes she's scared of Phil. She acted like she wanted to bring Jess to the doctor, but Phil is forcing her not to. I think Carol(and Jess and her unborn baby) need to get away from Phil.

Dawn

Anonymous said...

OMG! OMG! my mouth is still open due to shock i still cant get over what had just happened! i wish i could just slap Phil in the face and give Jesse the biggest hug that he ever had! he sure needs it! ....Josh is going to be so pissed i think that he is going to go crazy on Carol and Phil and probably beat the sh*t out of Phil...lord knows he needs that!

Anonymous said...

WOW!! GREAT POST!!

Life is not always sunshine and roses. I know Carol is a B!%$#, but nobody deserves to be abused. But, on the upside, maybe hearing what Phil really thinks of her child will snap her out of it. It's easy to say what you would do "if" it was you, but you can never know for sure until you're in the situation. ~stepping off of my soap box~

I LOVE THIS BLOG, I LOVE THE READERS OF THIS BLOG!!

Vikki