Sunday, May 13, 2007

Tagalong

I wish I could say that my visit with Heather started out on the right foot but it didn’t. She was so mad that I was standing on her door step and she made sure that I knew I wasn’t welcomed.

“Go away,” she went to close the door in my face but Jenna had crawled over to see who was there. She was the only thing that stopped Heather from slamming the door.

“Hi,” Jenna smiled up at me; her little hand was lifted as she waved at me.

“Hey sweetie,” I bent down to her, “I just saw your daddy. He misses you very much.” When I said ‘daddy’ Jenna started to look around for Jordy. “Daddy is stuck at work, he is thinking about you though.”

Heather scooped Jenna off the floor, “I don’t have time for this, I have to get ready for work. Bye Anna.”

“Wait,” I held up my hand to stop the door as it came at me at full force. “I was hoping I could talk to you for a moment?”

“No,” she said as she tried to shove the door closed.

“Heather, this is ridiculous! We once were friends, how did we get like this?”

Heather pulled the door wide open, “Oh I don’t know,” she said as she pushed her hair back out of her eyes. “I believe it had something to do with the backstabbing little b-i-t-c-h you are.”

At first I didn’t know why she spelt out ‘bitch’ but then I realized it was because Jenna was there. “I have no idea what you are talking about,” I told her. “I never did anything to you. Hell, I’m the one who encouraged you to go out with Jordan! I thought you were good for him!”

Heather laughed, “Yeah you seemed like you were all for my relationship with Jordan but you showed your true colors as soon as he really started to spend time with me.”

“What are you talking about?” I figured if I was going to be accused of something, I might as well know what it was that I did wrong.

“You kept inviting yourself out with us; you made him feel so bad that you were alone that he didn’t say anything when you did it either. I tried to get him to see what you were doing but he refused to see it.”

It was my turn to laugh, “I was invited every time I joined you guys! I never would’ve come along if I wasn’t! You were the one who asked me half the time!”

“Because Jordan would give me this look and I had no choice, either I did it or he would! It’s so pathetic Anna! You were never welcomed!” Heather shook her head, “Even Jordan’s parents thought it was sad that you were hanging onto him like that!”

“Oh really? You mean the same parents who keep wondering why he hasn’t asked me out.”

Heather rolled her eyes, “Yeah I guess they figure that’s the only way Jordan can get rid of you, once he shows interest, you’d be off like a shot!”

I smiled, “Really? You mean the same parents who just flipped out on Jordan when he mentioned that you were back in town? The same ones who told him he was a damn fool if he even thought of seeing you again?” She glared at me, “That’s right. They didn’t like you and now that they know you didn’t tell him about his daughter, they like you even less!”

“It doesn’t matter what they think!” She snapped, “Jordan’s opinion is all that matters.”

I stopped when she said that, I wasn’t sure what she meant. Jordan’s opinion on her right now? Or on how she left without telling him about Jenna?

“Cat got your tongue Anna?” Heather was smiling now. “Are you afraid that he might be thinking of getting back together with me?”

“No,” I told her simply. “Jordan is seeing someone.”

I watched as her smile faded, “He told me he isn’t seeing anyone last week when I asked.”

I raised a brow, “Oh? Well he is now and he seems to be really interested in her.”

“Well that won’t last,” she stated.

“Why do you think that? You think he wants to get back with you?”

“I’m not answering that, I don’t have too. We both know that sooner or later, you’ll ruin his relationship with this girl just like you did when he was seeing me.”

“I didn’t do anything Heather, you know it and I know it. So why don’t you just drop the wounded act and grow up.” I smiled, “Better yet, why don’t you worry about keeping the man you have happy!”

Heather grabbed my arm, “You stay the hell away from Hank! He loves me!”

I nodded, “So I hear but I also hear that you are less than supportive of him. I really can’t believe you would let your family treat Hank like crap, you should be thanking your lucky stars that he stays with you despite this.”

“What do you know about it?” Heather asked, she didn’t seem so hostile now.

“I know only what he told me when he first met me. He was upset that you continually pushed him aside and let your father talk down to him.” I shook my head, “I can’t believe you, I’ve seen Hank with Jenna and I’ve seen the look in his eyes when he speaks about you, he loves you Heather.”

“I know Hank loves me Anna, I don’t need you to tell me that!”

“Then why are you letting your father belittle him? Why are you leaving him here alone while you go off and spend weekends with you family? Why aren’t you trying to get your family to accept him?”

“That’s none of your business Anna!”

I looked at her and sighed. “You’re right, it’s not. But if you are pushing Hank aside because you think that you have a chance with Jordan again, you are going to end up losing a great guy.”

I turned to leave, I saw Hank standing just down the stairs from me. I wasn’t sure how long he was standing there but he didn’t look happy. I didn’t know if he was upset with me or if he was unhappy with Heather.

I went to say something but he shook his head.

Heather, who didn’t know he was there, reached to stop me from going. “I have no desire to get back together with Jordan. I’m very happy with Hank, sure things aren’t ideal right now but we are working on the issues we have. I love him and I hope that one day he’ll stand with me in front of both of our families and make me his forever.”

I watched the smile as it spread across Hank’s face, he continued up the stairs towards the apartment. “You have no idea how happy I am to hear you say that,” he told her as he turned to stand in the doorway.

Heather’s jaw dropped as she stared up at Hank, “You…” She didn’t get much further than that before she threw herself at him, “I love you,” she said in between the kisses she planted on his face.

It was a good half hour later that I left Heather’s place. I wish I could tell you what happened but it’s all a blur to me.

“How am I going to explain this to your daddy and your uncle Josh?” I asked the little blonde haired girl who stared back at me as I looked in my rearview mirror.

6 comments:

Anna said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I hope all mothers out there are having a great day. And even if you aren't a mother, I hope you are having a great day.

Mehreen, welcome back! I'd go to a place like that, but I would blind all the people there...I'm as white as this background! ~l~

The post I made here was actually the second one I wrote for today, I didn't like the first at all, so I scraped it...AFTER I spent the time and had it finished...this post is so much better though ~g~

Well I'm off to bed...Catch everyone tomorrow...

Anonymous said...

i love anna's persuasiveness. i think i would have skipped the whole 'anna-talking-heather-into-letting-her-watch-jenna' convo too... but jordan sure is going to be happy.. and jesse might be too?

Anonymous said...

hahaha i can imagine josh say something like: anna and her need to help people! =) like when she helped hank when he was drunk and couldn't drive home

Anonymous said...

aww i hope for a jesse and jenna playdate! lol and the reaction of Jordy's face when he sees his little girl! awww anna did it again! go anna go! lol her magical persuasive powers!

The Middle Child said...

I just started reading your blog. I didn't have time at work to sit here and read it and I don't have a computer at home, so I copied and pasted 2006 and Jan and Feb of 2007 onto a word document so I could take it home and read it like a book. My boyfriend says "I hate that dam book" cause I am always reading it and when I am reading it I don't even hear him when he talks to me. Anyway, you are doing a great job here, keep it up!

Your newest fan,
Rebekah

Anonymous said...

WOW!! Anna is a great friend. I'm glad she uses her powers of persuasion for good though ~l~

I wonder if Jenna will try to take Mr. Bear again...Can't wait to find out.

Great post!

Vikki