Monday, July 16, 2007

A Backwards Step

Josh closed his eyes for a moment, I felt his hand twitch on my waist and then he opened his eyes again. “I wish I could say yes Anna but I can’t,” he gave a sad sounding chuckle. “Hell I can’t even say no really.”

“That doesn’t make any sense Josh, it’s either you do or you don’t.”

He shook his head, “I don’t know how to explain it besides saying it that way Anna. In many ways I do trust you but in some other ways I don’t know if I can.”

“Josh,” I turned onto my back and stared up at the ceiling. “I can’t continue to do this you know.”

“Do what?” He propped himself up on an elbow and stared down at me. “Anna what can’t you do?”

“I can’t wait around forever for you to figure out if you want me or not,” I took a deep breath and looked up at him. “It’s hard to be with you and not really be with you. I’m happy when I see you or when I hear from you but that happiness turns to confusion and self loathing when I can’t touch you or kiss you like I want too. It hurts Josh.”

“You think I’m not hurting Anna? I jumped into ‘us’ head first without looking, I was planning our future with my son; hell I even asked you to marry me. I was so damn serious about us and to have you throw it all that back in my face with one ‘I wanted to know how it felt’ kiss with Jordan? How the hell do you think that makes me feel? Do you think I like not being able to be with you the way I want to be? Do you think I’m just doing this to punish you?”

I jumped up and turned towards him, “I never said it was easy for you Josh! I know it’s not, if it was I’d be worried if you really did care about me like you say you do.” I groaned and drug my hand through my hair. “All I was trying to tell you was how hard this is for me, knowing that this is all my fault and how I worry that there isn’t anything that I can do to make you see it will never happen again, you would never have any reason to question my feelings for you.”

Josh was quiet for a while, I wanted to grab him by the shoulders and tell him I loved him and nothing will ever change that; I wanted everything to be like it was before I fucked up.

“What do you expect me to do Anna?” He asked finally. “Do you want me to forget all about it? Do you want me to be friends with Jordan, instead of wanting to beat the crap out or him like I wanted to today?”

“But you didn’t,” I stated.

“No, I didn’t. Do you know why?” When I shook my head, he sighed. “I wasn’t too happy to hear that we had to go to Jordan’s to drop Jenna off, I guess I was hoping that she was going to her mom’s not to his place. When I saw him on the steps as I drove up, I wanted to keep driving, I wanted to hit him.” I gasped and he smiled. “I know, it’s immature and stupid but God it would’ve made me feel better for two seconds.”

“No it wouldn’t,” I told him. “You would feel bad about it as soon as you did it.”

“Yeah,” he agreed reluctantly. “I would regret it but it felt nice to think about doing it.”

“But you talked to him,” I really wanted to know about that because I didn’t expect it.

He nodded. “I was going to stay in the car and let you deal with him but I couldn’t, I didn’t want to sit there and wonder what you two were saying, so I got out. I wasn’t going to talk to him, I wasn’t even going to acknowledge his presence but when I went to hand Jenna to you, I happened to glance at Jordan and I recognized something in the way he looked at Jenna; it was the same expression I know I had when I first got to spend time with Jesse. It didn’t change what happened but yet it helped me see him in a different light, one that stopped me from kicking his ass.”

“Well I’m very glad you didn’t kick his ass Josh, I wouldn’t want to have to explain to the kids why you were beating Jordan up and why he cried so easily.” I smiled at him, “Jenna has lots of time before she needs to know her daddy is a big wuss.”

Josh laughed, “Well when I saw that look I had to tell him whatever I could think of about Jenna that he would need to know; I remember getting Jesse sometimes and not knowing if I should try to feed him or change him or what. There were times that he cried and I couldn’t figure out why…”

“You didn’t want Jordan to go through that?” I was surprised that he would care that much about making things easier for Jordan.

“I know it sounds crazy Anna but not knowing what’s wrong with your kid isn’t something I would wish on anyone, no matter how pissed off I am at them.”

“I’m glad to hear that Josh, it takes a big man to put differences aside for any reason.” Josh nodded absently. “What are you thinking?” I asked him.

“There was one thing that I found a little strange though.”

“Oh? What was that?” Thinking back, I couldn’t think of anything that was out of the ordinary.

“He didn’t say anything to you,” Josh stated and when I asked him what he was talking about, he told me that Jordan didn’t say anything to me at all. “Is there something going on?”

I shook my head, “I guess there was really nothing that we needed to say to each other.” I shrugged. “We really haven’t been talking like we used too because we don’t really see each other that much anymore.”

“And how do you feel about that? You and Jordan were almost inseparable.”

“Well we hung out all the time because we lived together; we didn’t have to go out to hang out with someone. It’s like now I spend more time with my family because I see them more, it’s not an effort to go and see them; Jordan spends most of his time with Jenna and Bella.” I smiled at Josh, “Why did you ask?”

He shrugged, “I just thought it was strange.”

“I think it happens to most friends, life gets in the way but you know that they’ll be there when you need a friend; it’s like that with Nick, I know he’s there if I need him and he knows that about me.”

“So it wasn’t because I was there?”

I told him it wasn’t and silence soon fell over the room. I’m not sure how much time passed before I spoke again. “Well,” I turned my head to look up at Josh. “I should get going, it’s getting late.”

“No,” Josh mumbled as his arm tightened around me. “You don’t have to leave,” he told me. “You can stay here.”

“I can’t Josh, I have to work in the morning and Chad asked me not to be too late.”

“But I don’t want you to go,” his lips brushed against my temple as he spoke. “Please just stay with me tonight?”

I wanted to say I would, my heart was screaming for me to tell him yes but my mind was telling me that if I stayed I would end up more confused than I already was,
you need to set some boundaries, you need to decide what you are doing to do now.

“Josh,” I pushed him away from me and sat up. “Don’t do that, don’t get there an act like my boyfriend when you don’t really want to be, I can’t play this game with you.”

“I’m not playing games Anna!” Josh sat up on the bed and stared at me as I got off the bed.

“No?” He shook his head and I sighed. “I don’t trust you.”

“You don’t trust me?” Josh stood up, he looked mad.

Well,” I moved in close to him and lifted my hands to his chest, gazing up at him. “I trust you enough to hold you, touch you and want to be around you but not enough to be with you again.”

Josh stepped back from me, crossing his arms over his chest. “I never said that!”

“No? Well that’s the message you are sending me Josh and I’m sorry but I can’t take much more of it.”

“You want to see other people?” Josh asked slowly.

“NO!” I exclaimed and groaned. “Josh I want to see you! But you tell me you need time which I don’t really want to give you because I’m afraid that if I do you’ll realize that you are happier without me in your life.”

“Anna,” Josh went to reach for me but I stopped him.

“I have to go Josh, it’s getting late and my brother is probably waiting up for me to get home.” I turned and ran out of his room because if I walked I knew I would be more inclined to stop and go to him.

I made it to the door before Josh caught up with me; he rested his hand against the door. “Asking for time doesn’t mean that I’ll forget about you Anna.”

“I hope not,” I told him. “Because right now, you have all the time in the world to decide what you want to do.”

“What do you mean?”

With a fake smile pasted on my face, I glanced up at him. “I’m stepping back…away…whatever you want to call it. You say you need time then you have it. I won’t call you or bug you or anything; when you know what you want, you know where to find me.”

“Anna,” Josh grabbed hold of my arm. “I want to be able to see you and to talk to you.”

“And I want to make love to you.” The words were out before I could stop them and I didn’t even regret saying them but I did close my eyes. “So what are you suggesting Josh?” I opened my eyes and raised a brow. “You want to be friends?”

“I think that would be a good place to start,” he said softly.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

omg friends?!?!? noooo!!!

Lynn said...

He wants to be friends???? I think I'm getting pushed off the team Josh bus.

Anonymous said...

nooooo!!! not just friends!!
omg it's over...!!!i don't want them to be over!!!!!

MonkeySpeak said...

I don't think that means its over. I think that is where they need to start. They are both right, they are going in circles and THAT will drive them apart. Anna did the right thing. She can't jump into bed with him and let him just walk over her because he wants her physically but wont give her all of him because he has his own issues and she cant just expect him to be ok with what happened.

they are taking a step back, they are slowing it down and they are going to take it one step at a time. seems like the right course to me! i think it could still work out.

Anonymous said...

ok.. sorry that was me freaking out.. =D it's just that they were so perfect together. but then again, i can see why josh can't trust her yet..so this might be for the best.
sigh...they will get together eventually right?

DDgirl said...

friends? worst idea ever.
Still, Anna is right. Nowhereland is unacceptable, josh needs to make up his mind.

girls, anyway, how long was the longest time you've hoped for an ex to come back for good?
Is it normal after three years without any contacts but occasional crossing on the street?

hehe!
have a nice day!

Anonymous said...

I agree with gatormonkey. josh is still totally into her and he's not the type of guy to just want to string her along with no commitment. She messed up big time, and he's trying to figure out a way so that he can still be with her, but it doesn't happen over night. They both agreed that they moved to fast, and that was part of the problem. But now Anna is complaining that they are moving to slow. She needs to give him time to get over it. He doesn't constantly throw it in her face, just because she feels shitty for what she did, doesn't make Josh the bad guy for wanting time.

The Middle Child said...

Damnit Josh, WAKE UP!!!!

EJ said...

Ok, my opinion is that the whole "friends" thing is an excuse to be close to that person and not have the label. You can't go from that intense of a relationship to friends in that short of time. They'll fall back in to old habits and Anna'll be right back where she is now.

personal experience.

MonkeySpeak said...

DD - any period of time can be too long! simple answer - don't wait and don't dwell, especially if he isn't contacting you at all! passing on the street is literally just that, passing. as harsh as it may be. just my opinion. I wasted a year of my life hoping, wanting, waiting for an ex. It left me nowhere except hurt.

And I don't think what josh is doing is an excuse. I do think it's partially unfair of him to say he wants to keep seeing her while he figures it out, but that is ONLY if Anna can't handle it herself... if she eventually tells him he needs to make up his mind BEFORE he goes to her then that is fine because no matter how much she screwed up she does need to protect herself too. One can only make up for their mistakes for so long ya know.

The label thing though - I'm seeing someone right now... we don't use labels. I don't think its an excuse for either of us to be close to each other without having to use them, we just aren't ready to take the next step in the relationship... we want to see each other exclusively but we don't have the time to undertake the repsonsibilities that go along with a full time relationship. kinda like josh can't handle the full relationship right now.

I just think every relationship is situation.

Anonymous said...

I know Anna made a mistake. Trust is very important. He keeps stringing her along. Make up your mind Josh. She is not a yo-yo. Jordan is happy in his relationship. It brought them closer together. Anna just needs to let him have time. During this time there should be no hugging and kissing. It sends the wrong signs to Anna.

bdave00

Anonymous said...

nooooo
L

Anonymous said...

I agree with ej. It is too hard to go backwards. It never really works. But I don't think they can just go right back to where they were. I guess that would be why I'm on Team New Guy.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I can see why Josh can't trust her but I don't like that he keeps on doing this to her. Good for you Anna, for not allowing him to do this anymore.

I hope Anna and Josh are able to fix things, but I don't have a good feeling about it anymore.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Stacey. Anna and Josh are getting reallllly annoying around each other, and it's no longer all that interesting - just yo-yo-ing.
Time to move on, think about work, get a new life, Anna.
Pix.

Anonymous said...

I personally think that LOVE is worth fighting for and they both obviously both still love each other, otherwise it's like Anna said she wouldn't believe that he really loved her, if finding the right LOVE of your life was so easy everyone would have one and sadly enough, (as we all know) not everyone gets to find that ONE TRUE LOVE!!

So Yea, I am still Team Anna & Josh!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

I am fine with Josh needing to be friends but friends don't lay in bed to "talk". Isn't that kinda what got anna in trouble in the first place (her close friendship with jordan and laying in his bed). josh needs time but anna definitely needs to set up boundaries to protect her heart.

amy

Anonymous said...

omg cant wait for todays post...but still totally freakin out about 'once in my life' post...seriously if u didnt read it ...READ IT..its SOOOOO GOOD!!!:D