Thursday, July 26, 2007

Do You Promise A Pregnant Woman? Ever?

If anyone would’ve told me that morning when I woke up that I would be driving Josh’s ex-wife to the hospital after her water broke while shopping at Wal-Mart, I would’ve told them to lay off the really cheap drugs. But that’s the position I found myself in not even five minutes after Carol returned from the bathroom.

“So umm…” I had no idea what to say as I pulled out of the parking lot. What do you say to someone who you never thought you would ever actually talk too, let alone be driving them anywhere?

Luckily for me, Carol was a little preoccupied with the breathing and the labor pains to really expect me to talk to her. “My phone,” she said in between breathing and contractions. “I have to call Phil!”

I had no idea where I threw her purse in my haste to get both Carol and Jess into my car, all I remember is jokingly asking her not to have her baby in my car and she actually laughed at that. “Don’t worry,” she told me. “I’m not about to have this baby anywhere but in the delivery room!”

“Just use mine,” I grabbed it from my center console and held it out to her.

Carol took my phone without hesitation and punched in Phil’s number, after listening for a moment, she looked like she wanted to toss the phone. “No don’t answer your phone you jackass, I’m only having your baby while you bang the flavor of this week!” She snapped my phone closed, her eyes meeting mine for a moment before she looked away.

There are so many questions I wanted to ask her at that moment but I didn’t, I knew already how mean women in labor could be – Mary threatened Zack with castration when she was in labor with Natalie, I think if we would’ve left her alone, she would’ve done it too.

“The baby is past due,” she told me. “I was supposed to be induced tomorrow.” She glanced at me. “I never had half as many problems with Jesse as I did with this one and Jesse even tried to come a couple weeks early!”

I glanced in the rear view mirror at Jesse who was holding Mister Bear like you would a baby. When he saw me looking in the mirror at him, he smiled and told me he was going to be a good big brother, “like daddy.”

Carol laughed, “Everything with Jesse is ‘like daddy’ lately and Phil hates it.” Carol sighed and then asked me to promise her something.

“Like what?” I wasn’t sure I wanted to promise her anything at all.

“When I go into the delivery room, I want you to take Jesse and bring him to Josh; I don’t want him to go home with Phil at all.” When I gave her a confused look, she told me that Phil wouldn’t have time to watch Jesse, “And frankly, I think he would be happier with Josh. Promise me you’ll make sure he goes to Josh.”

“Of course,” I told her I would make sure that he did.

"And one other thing," she looked around but couldn't find what she was looking for. "When you tried my purse, there's a Wal-Mart Pooh gift card in my wallet, it's Jesse's 'gift' from my sister." She glanced at Jess, "Buy him the 2pc cord set that we were looking at when you saw us, please?"
I told her I would. "Thank you," she smiled through the pain of the next contraction.

We got to the hospital and I ran to get someone to help me get Carol out of my car, once we were in the building, they took Carol off to the maternity wing while I was left standing in the lobby with Jesse, filling out the hospital forms for her.

“We go see mommy?” Jesse asked me as I finished the last bit of paperwork. I glanced at the lady behind the desk and she told me she would call someone to see if Carol was in the delivery room already.

“She is,” the lady told me when she hung up the phone. “You can go and wait in the waiting room,” she gave me the directions and I started to head down there but changed my mind when I saw the exit door. “Before we go wait for mommy, I think we should call your daddy so that he knows where to come and get you.”

“I go daddy?” Jesse’s little eyes widened in surprise. “Yay!” He started to bounce in my arms. “I go daddy!”

I couldn’t help but laugh at him as we walked outside to call Josh but he laughed too, so it didn’t seem so bad.

First I tried Josh’s cell but when the voice mail picked up, I thought maybe he was at home but when I called there, I got his voice mail too. Sighing, I left a message on his home phone to call me on my cell the second he got the message. And then to be sure that he got the message, I called his cell phone again and left the same message there.

Then because I was in the mood to call someone to tell them that Carol was in labor, I scanned my recent outgoing numbers and tried calling Phil and as luck (I guess) would have it, he picked up on the second ring.

“Don’t have time to explain it all,” I said quickly and then told him that Carol was in the hospital having the baby.

“Right now?” He seemed a little shocked.

“Yes, right now!”

“I’ll be right there!” He said and hung up on me.

Five minutes later, Jess and I were seated in the waiting room when I saw Phil go flying past the door.

Thirty minutes later, we were still seated there and no one could tell me if Carol was still in labor or if the baby was here. “Hey do you want to go call your daddy again?” Jesse nodded and we made our way down to the exit again.

There was still no answer when I called Josh; once again I left him messages to call me the moment he gets the messages, “it’s really, really important,” I said at the end of the message.

We went back inside and sat down.

An hour later, there was still no word from anyone. “Ama,” Jesse tugged at my arm as I heard his stomach growl. Glancing at the time I was shocked to see it was almost 7.


Where the hell is Josh? I wondered and then I had this messed up thought that he was avoiding returning my call because I didn’t call him back right away the night before. He wouldn’t be that childish, would he?

“Ama?” Jesse was trying to get up with me now.

I told him I would take him to get something to eat. On my way out, I stopped at the nurses’ station and told them where we were going and gave them my number to call if Carol had the baby before I got back.

Once Jess and I were in my car, I dialed Josh’s cell again – this time I got an answer. “What the hell?” I snapped at him.

“What?” He asked.

“I called…you know what, never mind it doesn’t matter all that matters is…”

“Ama, Jesse want nuggets!”

“…you are there…”

“Was that Jesse? What are you doing with Jesse? Where are Carol and Phil?”

“…and I guess it doesn’t matter what I was…”

“Anna! Where are Carol and Phil?” Josh sounded like he was freaking out just a little.

“They are at the hospital, trying to have their baby and I have your baby sitting in the back seat of my car telling me that he wants nuggets because he’s starving.”

“Meet me at McDonalds."

18 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

So Today is the last day to get your questions in! I'll be posting the Q&A sometime tomorrow...yay! I'm nervous...LOL

~Crystal - welcome to the family...~g~ I'm always happy to hear from all my readers and I certainly don't mind long comments...If there's ever anything on your mind, feel free to share it, we all would love to listen and discuss if we can.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Anonymous said...

Josh is really starting to irritate me.

Anonymous said...

I agree with you anon...Josh being annoying now. What is his problem? Let Anna give a chance to explain...geez!!! Anna is doing him a favor!!

Angela: I can't wait to read all your answers to our questions. It will be so great to learn more about you.

Anonymous said...

Josh really needs to get a grip and start acting his age.

Anonymous said...

I'm going to have to agree with the first 2 comments- Josh is really starting to annoy me.

Anonymous said...

i hope that wasnt his intention to purposely ignore her call like he felt that she did...
josh plz grow up and act ur age if that is the case!

Anonymous said...

I think I would be freaking out too if I were josh. anna has jesse there is no indication that she told him why in any of the messages she left and it surprised him...not to mention under what circumstances would carol let anna have jesse? from what we know of her none.

anna didn't start out the conversation in a friendly way either 'what the hell?' if someone said that to me instead of hello, I'd be on edge too!!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the welcome, Anna! (Do you prefer that or Angela? ~s~)

I know Anna was stressed about the situation, but she made the same assumption when Josh picked up the phone that he did when she didn't call him right away...maybe a little leeway and understanding on both sides wouldn't hurt?

I've also been dying to comment on the whole trust issue. I certainly see both sides: I know that Anna would never betray Josh again, and that Josh is hurting and, probably more than a lack of trust, he's subconsciously punishing her so that she won't ever do it again. I don't feel like there's any doubt that they'll get back to a loving, trusting relationship if they can just continue communicating and thinking about each other's feelings.

That being said, the "punishment" phase can only last so long before things irrevocably change. They have to make a decision: do they want to rebuild the trust (and I believe that goes both ways; I think that Josh's indecision and his treatment of Anna is a bit of betrayal on his own part) and move on? If so, they have to commit to doing that, and move on, leaving the past in the past. I know from experience that you CAN make that decision (btw, not with my Mr. Wonderful!)

Long-winded again! I should direct some of this energy to updating my blogs! ~l~

XOXO All~
Crystal

The Middle Child said...

Great post and as always, I am looking forward to the next post!

Carmel Beauty said...

Josh is annoying me now he does not have to be like that he doesn't even seem to be able to handle the friends thing

Lynn said...

How do we know that Josh didn't just walk in the door. Personally I would be upset if I answered the phone and someone said "What the Hell" to me. That being said, if he is just being a butthead, then that is REALLY immature for a guy his age.
On to Anna, why didn't she leave a message as to why she was calling. Something like "Josh, it's me Anna everyone is O.K. I have Jesse with me, Carol is in labor please call". Of course hindsight is 20/20!

Anonymous said...

I agree, I would freak too if my kid was with my boyfriend if I had left him his dad. I think they are both reacting to the situation at hand when they don't get the answers they want.

TEAM JOSH FOREVER!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

Just a question....as it has been made clear that Carol would not really "want" to even talk with Anna. Which says, as we all know, that they are not close. SO why was Anna filling out the paperwork to admit her????? Seems odd.

Anonymous said...

Wow that was a great post. It was good that Anna and Carol both put aside their "issuse" to take care of the situation. I think Carol loves her son but is just in a bad place right now. Jesse is so cute. I can just hear him saying all of that to Anna too. Josh and Anna are really having a hard time going thru this situation. I hope the two of them can get past all of this. It is so hard to "see" them like this.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Wow the title of yesterday's entry really says it all, huh? this truly is a twiliht zone!

I agree with Anon. 10:55. I am also getting irritated with Josh's behavior. I was always team Josh, but not lately....... He seemed so mature and responisble and not he's seems immature and childish.
~T~

Anonymous said...

Yes! I just need a count now - how many are on Team New Guy?! Ok, ok, I realize I am relentless. But to be honest the only thing I would miss about Josh is Jesse! Sorry to all the Team Josh fans. Great cliffhangers again on BOTH BLOGS! Love it!

Stacey

MonkeySpeak said...

I think they are both being immature. Both of them jump to conclusions with the other and I have learned from person experience the only thing that does is create problems and instigate fights.

I agree with Crystal. They need to move on at this point. Surrender to the "what is." I think they are both trying to control each other at this point in their own ways whether it is conscious or subconscious and you can't control anyone. Josh may be afraid of getting hurt but he's never going to know whether he can fully trust Anna or not unless they put themselves in the situation again.

If you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen. Stop living in the past and start looking to the future and stop saying what if because no one ever knows what the future holds.

Anonymous said...

Good answer GATORMONKEY!!!

TEAM JOSH!!!

GG