Thursday, June 7, 2007

A Quiet Dinner With The Girls?

Once we were in the car, I asked the girls where they wanted to go for dinner. Both Natalie and Lindsay jumped in with suggestions.

“McDonalds” Natalie called out. “I want a cheeseburger Happy meal Aunt Anna, with Fries and chocolate milk.”

“Noooo,” Lindsay groaned. “We go to McDonalds all the time! I want to go to a restaurant Aunt Anna, like real people do.”

“Hey!” Natalie hit the back of Lindsay’s seat. “I am a real person! And I want McDonalds!”

Lindsay turned around in her seat and tried to smack Natalie. “Don’t kick my seat munchkin!”

“Girls!” I grabbed Lindsay’s arm before she could strike Natalie. “How about we don’t fight tonight? Please?” I glanced back and forth between the two of them, giving them a silly grin. “I’ll love you forever if you don’t.”

Both of the girls agreed, mumbling ‘sorry’ as they sat properly in their seats again.

“So,” I started my car. “Cassie, where did you want to go for dinner?” I glanced in my rear view mirror at my oldest niece who seemed hell bent on ignoring me as she stared out the side window. “Cassie?” She didn’t respond so I did the one thing that I thought would make her laugh and talk to me; I hit the button to lower her window just a little.

She jumped and turned to glare at me through the rear view mirror. “Where did you want to eat?” I asked her with a smile.

“I don’t care!” She yelled. “Just pick something! You can do that can’t you?”

“Don’t yell at me,” I said as I slipped the car into drive and stepped on the gas pedal.

“Sorry,” she mumbled as she turned back to stare out the window. But I got the feeling that she didn’t really mean it.

A silence settled over the car as we made our way towards town, it was am uneasy silence. Every now and then I could see the girls looking at Cassie and me confused as to what was going on between us.

I wasn’t so sure myself what it was but I was betting it had something to do with my currant single status. You would think she’d be happy; she didn’t want me dating Josh anyway. Unless, I glanced at her in the mirror again, could Josh be miserable and taking it out on the kids? On Cassie? I wanted to ask her then and there but I didn’t want to have that conversation in front of the other two. I’ll talk to her when we get back home tonight, if Josh is being a jerk to her, I’ll kick his ass.

“Ok girls,” I quickly looked at Natalie and Lindsay. “I’m thinking of a number between zero and ten, whoever guessing it first gets to pick where we eat. Ok?”

Both girls agreed and once they were certain I had a number ready, they started guessing. Cassie rolled her eyes at us as we started and once the girls had three tries in each she blurts out, “Seven, it’s always seven! I win.”

“That’s not fair!” Natalie whined when I told them seven was right. “Cassie wasn’t supposed to guess Aunt Anna, just me and Lindsay were!”

“Well too bad munchkin,” Cassie snapped at Natalie. “I won and I say we are going to Humpty’s for dinner.” She turned her head my way, “So can we go and get this night over with already?”

“Yes!” Lindsay exclaimed. “Real people food!”

Natalie looked so disappointed, “I wanted McDonalds,” she said sadly.

And I wanted to turn around and bring them all home again; they were giving me a headache.

With the place we were eating at picked, Cassie turned back to the window and the other two started to chat about everything they could think of; I sort of tuned them out as I concentrated on driving.

We got to the restaurant without any major fights which was good. We actually made it through drink and food orders without any problems. Even Natalie was happy because she could still get her cheeseburger, even if she didn’t get a toy with it; I told them if they finished all their dinner I would get them something for dessert.

It wasn’t until the waitress brought us our food that things started to take a turn for the worst; it was over something stupid too. Natalie asked Cassie to pass her the ketchup; Cassie offered to put some on her plate for her and proceeded to do so after Natalie said ok.

“Thank you Cassie,” Natalie grinned at her oldest sister. “I like the red stuff,” she said as she dipped her fry into the ketchup.

Red stuff, I closed my eyes to fight the image of Jesse as he did the exact same thing when I was looking after him for Josh that day. But closing my eyes didn’t help, I could picture him even more when I did that. “Natalie, let me out,” I moved towards her as she scrambled out of the booth.

“Aunt Anna, are you ok?” She called after me and I nodded but I don’t think she believed me because she turned to her sisters and said, “She looked like that when I was watching ‘Cars’ too.”

I managed to make it to the bathroom without any tears falling this time. I felt like I wanted to cry but I just couldn’t. Maybe I’ve used up all my tears? I wondered as the pain that stabbed me in the chest every time I thought about Josh and Jesse, intensified. You’ll be ok, you’ll get through this. It’s not going to be easy but you are strong. I tried to look up at myself in the mirror but I couldn’t stand to see me, I hated myself for what I did to Josh.

Taking a deep breath, I bent over and lowered my head to my arms that were resting on the counter. You know you have to see him again, don’t you? You have to give him back his grandmother’s jewelry some time. You have to do it yourself because you need to know if he truly despises you or not; you need closure if he does.

I was almost in control of myself when the bathroom door swung open and banged against the wall. My head snapped to the side and I stared opened mouthed at the person who barged into the room.

“Why don’t you give it up? You and I both know that you aren’t the least bit sorry for what you did!”

24 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

I like all these comments that everyone is making, I love them almost as much as writing this blog! I'm glad people are talking and discussing calmly what they think about the entries, it makes me smile.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Anonymous said...

I bet its Cassie. I wanna just smack her. I thought she and Anna were closer than that. I thought she would AT LEAST give Anna a chance to really explain what happened. I guess my thoughts were wrong. She is being a brat and its time for her attitude to be handled. Ugh!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't think Cassie is being a brat, if her and Anna are as close as previous entries have implied, Anna has been completely avoiding the family and not talking about anything. Josh is a popular teacher/coach so I'm sure she's hearing "hearsay" at school and Anna has even treated her as a friend & talked to her about it knowing that it would probably suck for Cassie at school. If I were a teenager and that close to my aunt, I'd be a little annoyed with her "woe is me" act too, which we know it's not an act, but Cassie doesn't.

Kate

Kate

Anonymous said...

Who walked into the ladies room?!?!? Cassie? Josh? Jordan? Somebody in Josh's family - his mom, maybe? Remember the first time they met - she told Anna not to hurt Josh! WHO IS IT?

What a great day for a DOUBLE post!!

Anonymous said...

I meant to say "Anna has never even treated her"
Sorry!
Kate

Anonymous said...

I am so addicted to this blog. I can't wait to see what happens next each day. I think it is Cassie coming in the bathroom to yell at Anna. She thinks Anna made a big mistake.

Karen

Anonymous said...

If it is in fact Cassie - she does have a right to be upset. Two weeks have passed and Anna hasn't had the decency to talk to Cassie about it. I would have thought Cassie would be the first person Anna would want to talk to since Cassie sees Josh at school every day.

Maybe the next entry will have Anna returning the jewelry and we'll see what happens with Josh.

Anonymous said...

It has to be Cassie. I mean who else could it be?

Wow, this story just keeps on getting better and better. I can't wait till Anna has to face Josh again.

Beth said...

I think it's Cassie. She's upset that Anna has been ignoring the family and she doesn't know what's going on. All she's getting is seeing Josh miserable at school... either that or it's Heather.

Snoopy said...

It is Josh's ex wife! I am sure of it!

Anonymous said...

Bella?

Jenny said...

It is obviously Cassie that is in the bathroom, seeing as though she has clearly been upset with Anna. And I kind of do understand where she is coming from, Anna made a huge mistake that was her fault and now she must deal with it, and with her family there and willing to support her, she is not doing a very good job of reaching out to them, since it seems that as of now they are some of the only people she has left.

Anonymous said...

Its Cassie. She was the one acting all strange.

I'm all addicted to the blogs too. I feel bad for Anna, but she needs work out her own feelings.

Anonymous said...

Wow, so exciting. Who is it? Cassie? or Josh? Oh i can't hardly wait!!! I have not been caught up long enough to have to ask for a double post, BUT PLEASE DOUBLE POST, if you can! I am litterally sitting on the edge of my seat. Love your writing. Post soon!!

Chris

Ps. I am almost wishing i wasn't caught up just so i would have more to read ~s~

Unknown said...

I agree with everyone it has to be Cassie! I have to say were in the middle of moving and have tons to do but I can't resist to come online and read what's happening on this blog ! I love it..

The Middle Child said...

I printed off every post you did for the first three months you were writing this. I still haven't made it through them all, but I got most of the way through. I must say, I have never been this caught up in a story, you rock! Keep it comin' lady, I almost HATE weekends because I don't go online on the weekends and wait until Monday to come here to read. You are doing an excellent job with this story, keep up the good work!

Oh, and my vote says it is Cassie, unless she didn't want to leave the two younger ones alone at the table. I say Cassie or Jesse's mom, the ex.

Can't wait until tomorrow!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I think it's Cassie too. I agree that she has probably heard rumors and rather than askin anna about it, she is doing the juvenile thing (because hello, she is a juvenile) and just believing what she's heard. Go easy on her. She is still just a child.

Vikki

PS. A double post would be GREAT!! I could read it later tonight as a treat after my trainer beats up on me at the gym. PRETTY PLEASE with a cherry on top Ama!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm finally caught back up. Haven't meant to be a stranger, but I've been really busy. I like Beth's theory that maybe it is Heather....or it could be Bella. I like Heather tho because she is probably mad at Anna because Jordan is acting up or disappearing or something cuz he's depressed!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I agree that Anna has been avoiding the family, but sometimes you just have to give people time to get through things themselves. When Anna is ready to talk, she will. Most of her family is being supportive in the way of giving her a little space, but now is not the time for Cassie to be against Anna. Yes, she has a right to be mad if Josh is taking it out on Anna, but she more than likely doesn't know the whole story behind everything. Yes, Anna made some bad choices, but she never intended for it to hurt Cassie.

I think before Cassie goes any further with her bad attitude, she should hear Anna out. It might make a difference.

And no, Anna is not perfect. She needs to move on from that, but she doesn't need to be pushed UNLESS she is just going WAY overboard.

Anonymous said...

when i finished the post...i was like it is so cassie but after reading the comments i cant help but think that it might be Heather or Bella? i never even considered that it could be for jordan...
but i still thinks its cassie

Anonymous said...

Cassie for sure!!! I knew she was PO'ed about what Anna did though how did she find out, I'm sure Josh wouldn't have told her!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with la shunda. I think Cassie is being a total teenaged brat! Can't wait for tomorrow's entry!

~Tara

Mehreen said...

I think Cassie is acting pretty normal. Anna is not a very adult aunt and I'm sure Cassie looked up to her and if she did hear through the grapevine that she did something awful to Josh, than that image is ruined! It's not uncommon to be angry with role models when they let you down.

Snoopy said...

I was the one who said Jesse's mom, and I still think it is a possibility, but now after seeing some other ideas, I am banking on Heather, since she hates Anna AND she might have found out from Jordan....