Sunday, June 10, 2007

If All The Snowflakes Were Chocolate Bars And Milkshakes...Oh What A Snow That Would Be!

The Friday after Valentine’s Day was Family Day where I live. The girls were out of school for the day, they actually had a 5-day weekend because there was a teacher convention going on that week as well. I planned a few things to do with my nieces and the rest of the time I really didn’t do much besides work and sleep.

The first few days of March were spent sort of trapped in my brother’s house due to the monstrous blizzard that Mother Nature decided to send our way; in one way it was a blessing for me. Or at lease it gave me an excuse to not work, I had been taking every shift I could for the last month and my family was after me to take a break.

By the time the snow stopped falling, there was at least three feet of brand new snow staring us in the face. “What a great way to spend my days off!” Zack grumbled as he bundled up to go out and start shoveling.

“I could give you a hand if you like,” I offered as I stood in the doorway listening to him complain.

He looked at me for so long, I was so certain that he wasn’t sure I would be much help but in the end he told me to bundle up, “I’ll meet you outside.”

Now spending the day shoveling with my brother wasn’t my idea of fun but it turned out to be very therapeutic for me; when I got thinking about the things I did wrong, I shoveled hard. While I was shoveling I realized that February passed by without me really noticing, I would like to think it was due to the fact that it was a short month, but I knew I wasn’t really living my life for the most of the month.

When Mary called us in for lunch, I was so sore; I didn’t know if I would even make it to the house. I wanted to tell my brother that I wanted to stop but I felt bad that he would have to do all of the shoveling by himself. I glanced at the little path we made from the house to the garage and the clearing he made in front of the garage itself, oh lord this is going to take all week! I started to wonder how Zack ended up getting all the shoveling done in so little time before when it donned on me, Jordan normally came out with the bobcat!

I felt like crap when I realized that because of me, Zack wouldn’t call Jordan to come and help him out like he’s done as long as I can remember. Well at least ever since he started working at the garage, his boss gave him permission to use the bobcat for snow removal for Zack. Of course, he never did it for free; Zack always paid something for the use because he was so grateful that they did that for him, plus he didn’t want anyone to think he ‘owed’ them favors when it came to his work.

As I walked towards the house, I glanced at Zack, he was moving kind of stiffly as he climbed the steps. “We should probably wait a few minutes after we eat before going back at it,” he told me as he held the door open for me.

I nodded, “I think that would be a good idea.”

Once we removed our outside clothing, Zack started towards the kitchen but I hung back. “Aren’t you coming?” He asked me, “You’ve got to be starving; you didn’t eat anything for breakfast.”

“Yeah,” I smiled at him. “I just have one thing I need to do first.” He gave me a questioning look but didn’t ask what I needed to do, which I was very thankful for.

As soon as I closed my bedroom door, I leaned back against it and wanted to cry. I didn’t realize just how much pain I was in until I stopped shoveling. When did you get so out of shape? I asked myself but I didn’t have an answer.

With every step I took towards my bed, I tried very hard not to winch in pain, I’m definitely taking a nice long bath tonight! I thought as I fell onto my bed in a heap. I laid there for a moment, I didn’t want to move although I knew if I didn’t, I would have to go back out there and shovel more. Hell, you still may end up out there shoveling again; he might not want to help you out.

“I guess there’s only one way to find out,” I said out loud while rolling over to grab the phone that sat on my nightstand. “Please be home,” I groaned as I dialed Jordan’s number.

When the fourth ring went in and his voice mail picked up, I damn near cried. Deflated, I hit the ‘end’ button on my phone and dropped it to my chest. I don’t want to go back out there!

“Anna come and get something to eat!” Mary called down the stairs. “Now before it gets cold!”

I wish I could say I sprung off the bed and ran upstairs, but that wasn’t either bit close to the rolling off the bed and crawling to the door that I did do. I managed to get to my feet and had my hand on the door knob when my phone started to ring.

“Oh!” I spun around and ran to my bed, diving across it as I grabbed for my phone. “Ohhhh,” I groaned at the same time I hit the ‘talk’ button.

“Well it’s not exactly ‘hello’ but I guess it works.”

“Jordan!”

“Yes, it’s me. You called me?” He sounded a little surprised by that, which I wouldn’t really blame him, I did tell him I never wanted to speak to him, ever again.

“Yes, I did. How are you?” Suddenly I felt a little uneasy, could I really ask him to do something for me when I haven’t spoke to him in a month? Well it would actually be for Zack, I tried to reason with myself but I wasn’t so sure it would matter.

“I’m doing ok Anna. Why are you calling? Did hell suddenly freeze over?” I guess he’s upset with me, not that I blame him.

“No, I…” I sighed. “Nevermind, it wasn’t important.” I was lying of course.

He sighed, “Tell Zack I’ll be there in an hour, I’ll have to go to the shop first.” I was about to tell him thanks but the ‘click’ and the immediate dial tone told me he already hung up.

“Anna! Lunch! Now!” Zack yelled down to me.

12 comments:

Anna said...

~l~ I think that has to be the longest title ever for me...

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope the weekend is going great for you!

Anonymous said...

haha .... ur titles are so creative!...i thought it was kind of weird that anna would call jordan after she said that she didnt want to ever talk to him again...but as along as it brings them together! time is flying by and we still dont noe what is happening with josh, jesse and his mom ...plz update us on them soon!

Anonymous said...

you got me craving for chocolate now!!!

hmm i dunno, i think it's kinda selfish to call jordan just because she doesn't want to shovel snow.
and what will happen to josh if jordan is in anna's life again??!

Jenny said...

I have to agree with mya. It seems kinda strange to not talk to someone for a month and then expect them to do you a favor. Not that Jordan wasn't in the wrong also, but Ana is being slightly inconsiderate. Hopefully though this will make them realize how important their friendship is.

Mehreen said...

Jordan is so sweet! I love how he knows everything without her asking. I also think Cassie has a little crush on him and that's why she was so mad at Anna for making it impossible for him to come over!

Anonymous said...

I really didn't think that Anna was being selfish. She wasn't really calling Jordan for her.......yeah she didn't want to go back out and shovel but she would have. She saw how stiff Zack was when he was walking into the house for lunch and realized that Jordan usually did that. Maybe this will help break the tension between Jordan and Anna so that they can talk this out and either agree to still not be friends or make up. They have been thru alot in so many years of friendship. Jordan has to realize that they really can't be together as anything more then friends. Also wow we have been thru a whole month and still no word from Josh as to his grandmothers jewlery? Is Anna still wearing it or has she taken it off???? So many questions.......LOL.... I know, I know, be patient!! I will try.....


Keep up the great work. I love it.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that Jordan was still planning to help Zach, eventhough he and Anna aren't talking.

I'm also dying to see what is going on with Josh and his family and the jewelry...

Vikki

Anonymous said...

Ahhhhhhh, don't change the subject let's hear more about the mysterious phone calls and the flowers, pleaseeeee.

Again, I hope they are from JOSH!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

I love how you added the mysterious calls to the story, very clever. I too think they are from Josh. If so..yes, juvenile but how romantic!!lol

Anonymous said...

I didn't think Anna was being selfish by calling Jordan. Jordan has been a part of their family for so long and I think Anna felt sorry for Zack because it was her fault they had to shovel. I just hope to see them talk a little when he comes over. Good post!

Anonymous said...

So many questions!! What is going on with Josh's mom? The jewelery? The phone calls and flowers? Jesse's custody? Are Bella and Jordan still dating? I can't wait to see what happens next!

Karen

Anonymous said...

Where's Josh? I want him back in the story... please?