Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Best Laid Plans

The entire drive over to Jordan’s house, I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face. I couldn’t believe what happened at the restaurant; in fact I wasn’t so sure it wasn’t a dream. I expected Josh to be a little more upset with me and I didn’t think that he would want to talk to me but now that we’ve talked a little and he said he wanted to talk more, I was feeling really good about the future, our future.

The only thing that kind of bugged me was what he said about Jordan, that he thought we would be dating. And then all the talk about working things out with Jordan, figuring out where we stand, was he telling me to date him? Even though I knew he said no, I was wondering if that would clear things up in his mind where I stood. No! I shook my head, Josh doesn’t want you dating Jordan and you aren’t going to date him anyway! I may love him but I’m not sure that I would want to be his girlfriend; some times its bad enough just being the boy’s friend!

I pulled into his driveway; it felt so strange, yet very normal at the same time. It was hard to believe that it was only just over a month ago that I shared the house with him. I almost wished for those times back, but stopped when I realized that in order to have those moments back, Josh might not be in my life and that was something I didn’t want to think about.

Ok Jordan, I thought as I pulled the food from my car to make my way up to his door. This is make it or break it time, are we going to be friends or are we leaving it all behind? I felt kind of funny as I stood at his door waiting for him to answer the doorbell. I thought it was very strange that I was the one who stopped talking to him but there I was at his door in order to make him talk to me. You are one screwed up chick, do you know that? I shook my head. What if he’s happy not talking to you? What if he has no desire to ever see you again? You would’ve done him a favor by not talking to him.

I was lost deep in my thoughts when the door opened, Jordan frowned as he looked down at me. He didn’t ask me what I was doing there, he didn’t even say ‘hello’, he just stared at me as he leaned against the door.

So I stared back at him, when was the last time he shaved? Earlier he was pretty much fully covered so I really didn’t notice that he was fuzzy. His unshaven face along with the sweatshirt and pj bottoms that he was wearing made him seem warm and welcoming, comfortable. But the way his lips turned down in a frown, wasn’t all that inviting.

“Hey,” I smiled at him hoping he would smile too but he didn’t. And he didn’t say anything either. “So I stopped off and picked up way too much Chinese food before realizing that no one at Zack’s loves Chinese food as much as me.”

He broke his stare to glance down at the box of food in my arms that was getting heavier by the second. “That sucks,” he said, his free hand resting on his belly.

“Yeah,” I sighed. “I guess I’ll have to eat it all by myself,” I noticed his hand move against his stomach. “Unless,” I gasped as if I had this amazing idea all of a sudden. “You wouldn’t know anyone who would be interested in helping me eat this…” I slipped one hand out from under the box carefully and opened a container. “…oh shanghai noodles! Those are just yummy!”

I swear I heard Jordan’s stomach growl as the aroma from the food assaulted his senses, weakening his resolve. “I think I can help,” he eyed the food hungrily and ushered me inside as quickly as he could.

Once inside, he relieved me of the box of food, checking to see what else I had. I probably would’ve been offended if that wasn’t exactly the response I wanted him to have. He patiently waited until I had removed my coat and boots before he walked into the kitchen to grab a couple plates. “Get some napkins, silverware and pop?” He asked over his shoulder as he headed off into the living room.

So far, so good I thought as I finished grabbing the items we needed and went after him. If everything goes to plan, things will be back to normal soon. I couldn’t help but be excited; I wanted things to be just like they were between us before Christmas.

He was pulling the containers of food out of the box when I took my seat on the couch. “Oh,” he glanced at the table once he tossed the empty box aside, “We forgot Soya sauce,” he hopped over my foot, which really wasn’t in the way and disappeared into the kitchen. When he came back, he sat right next to me and we both dug into the food, filling our plates as much as we could.

Jordan opened both cans of pop, turning to me, he handed me one and smiled. I thought he was going to say something but he just sat there smiling at me for a couple minutes before he turned his attention to the food and “Family Guy” which was just coming on TV.

We ate in silence as we laughed at the crazy antics of Peter and the rest of the gang. Every once in a while, I noticed Jordan would glance over at me, just for a moment, then he would turn back to the TV.

Half an hour later, “Family Guy” was over and we could barely move from being so stuffed. I was watching Jordan as he forced the last forkful of food into his mouth and chew it completely, before dropping his fork on his plate and punching his hands into the air. “Yes!” He shouted and quickly turned to me.

I was about to ask him what that was about when he said, “It’s been a while,” as he moved back against the couch, slipping his arms around me. He rested his chin on my shoulder as he snuggled up to me, “I’m glad you came over,” he told me.

“Jordan,” I tried to look at him but with his chin on my shoulder it wasn’t that easy. “We need to talk,” I made an effort to wiggle out of his grasp but he held on strong.

“I know,” he sighed softly. “Let’s just let the food settle first,” he lifted his head from my shoulder and looked into my eyes. “I don’t want to argue with you when I can’t even move.”

25 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

Wow, 34 comments? I was totally excited to see that and read every one!

First I would like to say to the person who thinks that Anna shouldn’t be living at Jordan’s….she isn’t, and hasn’t been for over a month.

And I don’t think Josh is a pushover, he just knows what he wants and is determined to get it without using unnecessary means. Or that’s what I like to think he was doing! Besides, who really wants to have it out in a public place? Would you air your dirty laundry for the entire world to see? There’s always more ways to do something than to come out with both barrels blazing…do you know what I mean? Or am I totally messing up the saying? ~l~

Second chances are all about making things work or making sure you can live without what you thought you needed.

I hope everyone has a great day!

Anonymous said...

i think we need a double post. i neeeeeeed to know what the conversation is between jordan and anna, don't make us wait another day. PLEASE??????

amy

Anonymous said...

Oh my.....I think Jordan may have a different agenda than Anna! Can't wait to see what happens next.....

Anonymous said...

Sounds like trouble...
~lisa

Lynn said...

I was thinking the same think as anon. I think Jordan believes Anna is there to take their relationship to the next level.
Set him straight Anna.

Anonymous said...

See this is why I don't like Jordan. There should never be a time when Anna can't get free from his grasp and several times, including in this post, Jordan has forcefully held Anna in an embrace. Maybe it's not like that, but that's the vibe I get and it makes me very leary of Jordan.

~Amy

Anonymous said...

OK, I've been Team Jordan, but he's just acting weird! The first time she comes to him and he thinks it's for chinese and sex? As much as I'd like this to be a loving FRIENDSHIP, it looks like she's going to have to drop Jordy completely---unless he can straighten up!
I don't want to beg, but will---
DOUBLE POST????????

The Middle Child said...

We definitely need a double post today!!!! C'mon... you get us addicted and then leave us hanging..
Over and over and over...

Why is he so sure it will be an argument? Why can't it just be a talk?

Men!

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! I do believe Jordan is trying to put the moves on Anna. And I must say, I agree with Amy about Jordan being too forceful with Anna. And eventhough I want to believe that Jordan wouldn't purposefully hurt her in that was, it's kinda makin me a nervous for her.

Anna, I don;t wanna have to use my jedi powers, but I think we need a double post. I can't wait to see what happens next!!

Great writing, as always!

Vikki

PCS said...

Pleas double please double please double!!!

Cant wait!!!

Anonymous said...

I was soooo excited to see the "Family Guy" reference! Stewie is my HERO! My husband just bought me a football & it's Stewie's head.

Oh but about the story...I think Anna & Jordan should get back to being friends. I think by not living together there would be a better boundry.

Stacey

Snoopy said...

Jordan knows its not about sex... he mentioned arguing and that he knew that she wanted to talk!

He was holding her tighly cause he LOVES her and MISSED her. AND I totally think she should give it a go with Jordan. Because:
A) I think it will work
B) if it doesn't she can finally be sure she wants Josh...

SO I AM TOTALLY CAMP JORDAN!!!!!

Double Post PLEASE!

Drea said...

wow i really liked this post
it was chill and relaxed compared to the drama from the last couple of days

http://dreababy33.blogspot.com/
check it out

ksuwldct said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ksuwldct said...

hm. I don't comment often (or ever here) but I've been reading for ages, and I have to say I may be one of the last one's not to write Jordan off so quickly.

In writing, it's easy to assume aggressive contexts from things like "I tried to wiggle away but his grasp was to firm [sorry Amber, I'm paraphrasing I know]" but in real life those tight hugs/embraces aren't threatening. We don't know why she tried to wiggle away, what the motives were behind that wiggle - you assume it's because she wasn't enjoying the contact.

Anna obviously needs to explore the feelings between her and Jordan, and I don't fault him for confusing the signals she's been sending him. If it's Josh she's ment to end up with, they'll be much happier knowing that there are no "what if's" in their past, and if she's supposed to end up w/ Jordan, she'll never know if she doesn't try.

By the way Amber, do you have the end of this story written? Or since it's based on a true (isn't that correct) story, is there not an end yet?) I'm interested to see how much your readers reactions dictate which way the story goes. I hope none. I would like to know that as a writer you have developed the characters dependent of the emotions and passions of us, your faithful readers

Anonymous said...

SOOOO... for once I think anna should give it a GO so she realizes Josh is the guy (I know i say this like everypost lol but i love that man) Anyways thanks for the post and even though i'm a patient person I agree with everyone when I say PLEASE we need a DOUBLE POST this time!!!

-D-

MonkeySpeak said...

ok, i agree to a certain extent with one reader who said we could be misinterpreting the hug. especially since anna didnt try again necessarily, although the story ended right there so we will have to wait (UUUGGHHHHHHH) and see what happens next post (DOUBLE DOUBLE DOUBLE) but i think we all made the assuption because of jordy's history. he just doesnt seem to understand boundaries with anna.
my best friend and i shared beds all the time... but it hurt relationships... we are older now... we understand it just ISN'T appropriate anymore. he is with someone he really likes... (and suprisingly i approve of hahaha jk) i met someone who i wouldnt mind exploring something with... whether it works itself out into something or not... we just cant be as touchy feely as we are when we are single.... totally plutonic or not...its not appropriate and it sends the wrong signals.

Jordan just doesnt seem to get that, no matter how many times Anna has asked! I think if they want to be friends again, if she wiggles away, no matter how friendly his intentions are he needs to let go... the friendly kisses, cuddling, hand holding, all that "couply" stuff has got to stop if they want a friendship to happen and josh to trust her...

Just an opinion from personal experiance....others im sure have had different experiances

MonkeySpeak said...

which anna is just as guilty of as jordan is! but she has tried to pull away many times and he never lets her...

Anonymous said...

I am glad Jordan cooled down a little bit.....too bad it took food to do it. I think her wiggling was to look at him when she spoke to him. To try to read his face while she spoke. I don't think he was trying to hurt her either. He was just really glad to see her. I hope this ends well for everyone involved. But if everyone is happy then we wouldn't have much of a story left would we? Love your work. Keep it up.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I really think that most of those other times if Anna really wanted to move away, she could have. She even mentioned it when Josh walked in on them kissing.

I still think Anna and Jordan should give it a try. And like others have said maybe they will realize that they truly are better off as friends.

Anonymous said...

I just can't believe that Josh said "Oh, I've been soooooo busy and that's why we havent' talked" then he kisses her and says he wants to talk??? What happened to "If I could erase you from my memory forever, I would"? That is just way too weird and I don't think that EITHER one of them are right for her. Oh what about the weird calls she's been getting? Who is it? Or was that just a filler in the story while she wasn't talking to Jordan or Josh?

Anonymous said...

i want anna to realize that she's in love with JORDAN

Lynn said...

If Anna gives Jordan a try, I think it would be a wake up call to Anna that she doesn't love Josh. You don't risk it. She risked it once by kissing Jordan, if she does it again then Josh isn't the "ONE" for her. You don't risk the ones you truly love.

Anonymous said...

Oh Anna where are you today? I don't know if there is a time difference between us or not on this thing but i am checking every 5 seconds. ~l~ Today is the last day for me to read til Monday.........Oh missing the storys already!! Have a great day.

Chris

Anonymous said...

OH look at that, just figured out there is a two hour time difference on this blog then my time. I will keep waiting for you then.