Friday, June 8, 2007

Make My Phone Ring

Cassie told me that she didn’t know exactly what was wrong with Josh’s mom just that she’s been in the hospital for a couple days. I was in kind of a daze as I turned from Jordan and Cassie to walk back towards my car.

My first reaction was to head for the hospital to visit her and see if Josh needed anything at all but it was a little late in the evening to be doing that, plus I didn’t know how Josh would react if I did go there. Would he be happy to see me or would it cause more trouble for his mom?

It took me a couple tries to grasp the door handle to open my door, when I went to get in Cassie appeared at my side, “Are you ok Aunt Anna?”

I stared at her for a while, I wasn’t exactly sure if I was, glancing at the keys in my hand and then at Natalie as she sat looking up at me from the back seat, I shook my head. “No, I don’t think I am.” I passed her my keys and walked around to get in the back next to Natalie.

The drive to the movie store passed so quickly, I wasn’t really paying attention so I was a little surprised when we stopped and all the girls looked at me. “Are you coming in Aunt Anna?” Cassie chewed on her lip as she turned to look at me.

I shook my head, “You guys go on, I have a phone call I need to make.”

Once the girls disappeared around the corner of the movie store, I pulled out my cell phone. Is he home? I wondered as I focused on the time on the display of my phone. It’s almost 9, he should be home. Unless he’s at the hospital or at his parents’ house. I wanted to call him; I wanted to talk to him. There were so many things that I needed to say to him but I knew I couldn’t tell him over the phone. But I should call him about his mom, even if he doesn’t want to talk to me, I can still leave a message to let him know I care about him and his family still.

My stomach was all knots as I dialed his home number and waited for the rings to go through. I didn’t think that he would answer the phone, he had caller ID so he knew it was me that was calling. On the fourth ring his voice mail picked up, I held my breath as I listened to his voice.

“Hi you’ve reached me but I’m unable to come to the phone right now, please leave a message and I’ll call you back as soon as I can.”

Beep.

I hesitated for a second as I decided what I wanted to say. “Hey Josh, it’s me Anna. I was just calling to see how you were doing; Cassie just told me tonight that your mom was in the hospital. I’m really sorry to hear that she’s not feeling well; I hope she gets better soon. I...umm…I hope…no, I…” I sighed; I knew I was screwing up this message. “I’m just really sorry to hear about your mom and I want you to know if you ever need anything – anything at all, I’ll be there for you. I…” I was about to tell him I loved him and missed him but I didn’t think that it would be right at this time. “Good night Josh.”

Flipping my cell closed, I bowed my head and sighed. I wished that there was more I could do for him but I felt that leaving him a message would be the best; it offered him a chance to reach out to me if he wanted too. Glancing upwards, I said a silent prayer for his mom.

The girls came back not long after I finished on the phone, they were excited about the movies they rented and were impatient to get home. I told them to hold on and I flipped my phone open again to call and see if it was ok for us to go home.

“Of course it is!” Mary laughed when I asked so I told Cassie to head for home.

I headed for my room when we got to the house, I was planning on changing into my pjs and then joining everyone to watch one of the movies the girls choose but Cassie caught up to me and asked if she could talk to me for a minute.

While I changed, Cassie sat on my bed and played with a stuffed bear that Jordan won for me many years ago at one of the fairs that came through town. “So what’s on your mind?” I asked her as I plopped down on the bed with her.

It took a few minutes but finally she looked up at me with tears in her eyes. “I was so mad at you Aunt Anna; I thought that you were being a bitch to Jordan because Coach Baker broke up with you. I didn’t realize that he had anything to do with you guys breaking up.” She took a deep breath and sighed, “I’m so sorry I said the things I did to you, I don’t really hate you. I just,” she shrugged. “I don’t know, you used to tell me everything but you haven’t said anything to me since you came home…I guess I was feeling a little left out.”

“Oh Cassie,” I moved close to her and wrapped my arm around her shoulders. “I know you didn’t mean it and you are right, I have been keeping to myself since I came home.” I sighed, “I guess I wasn’t ready to talk about it with anyone, I figured that if I didn’t it wouldn’t hurt so much but it does.”

Cassie hugged me, “If you want to talk Aunt Anna, you know I’ll always listen,” she gave a little laugh, “Even if I’m being a little brat.”

We talked for the next hour or so, it was so nice to be able to talk to someone about what happened between Josh, Jordan and me. I was able to tell her some things that I couldn’t tell Zack or Mary, I knew that Cassie wouldn’t judge me as badly as they would.

It was almost 11 when Zack came to tell Cassie she should think about getting ready for bed. While she was telling him she was talking to me and would go to bed soon, my cell phone rang.

“Is it Coach Baker?” Cassie asked as I looked at the caller ID.

‘Blocked call’ it read and my shoulders slumped. It wasn’t Josh, in fact I didn’t know who it was but they’ve been calling me for a week straight, around 11 every night. Even though I knew it was pointless, I answered the phone anyway. “Hello?”

Silence.

“You know these calls would be more interesting if you actually spoke to me.”

More silence.

Out of the corner of my eye, I could see Zack watching me. I sighed, “Look I really don’t have time for this, please don’t call me if you aren’t going to speak to me.”

The instant I hung up the phone Zack was questioning me about the call. “I don’t know who it is Zack, they just keep calling me and then don’t say anything.”

“I don’t like it Anna,” he took my phone from me. “I think it would be best if you don’t answer those calls. Maybe the person will give up if you stop talking to them.”

I shrugged, “Whatever you say.”

Although I had no real intentions of not answering the phone. Even though the person didn’t speak, I didn’t feel that there was any reason to be concerned.

12 comments:

Anna said...

Oh look! Vikki is an accomplished Jedi ~l~

I hope you all enjoy this one...see you tomorrow! Or on monday for those who won't be around tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

Ok, how do you do this? Make this story more interesting with every post!! You're awesome!

Thanks for the double post. I can't wait until she talks to Josh, and to find out who keeps on calling her.

Anonymous said...

It's Josh!! He misses her and doesn't want her to know, so he is blocking his number!!

Anonymous said...

Its Josh!! uh... or Jordan! Ok, i dont know who it is, but it is someone she isnt talking to and they want to talk to her, so they call and listen to her voice. *sigh* I dont wanna wait til tomorrow!

Write a Book?!?! :)

Randi

Anonymous said...

Wow, oh wow. Thank you so much for the double post. I was just taking the chance that you did and checked and to my surprise YOU DID. Thank you, thank you!!! And another great post. My guess is Josh, and that he is so miserable and needing someone that just hearing her voice helps even if saying not to call if they aren't going to talk to her. I hope when they call back that they talk to her. Oh i can't wait til tomorrow. Love what you got going here. Thank you so much for your dedication. We love it.

Chris

Anonymous said...

OMG!! I haven't had a chance to catch up yet and finally today I did! Plus a double post!! I think Josh is calling her from the hospital and just listening to her voice to find comfort. It may be a little late for the hospital but I think it's him. Great post, Anna!
M

Anonymous said...

Yay!! It worked!! Don't worry, I'll only use my powers for good!

Great post! I think it's Josh. He wants to talk to her, but he is still hurting. Or, it could be Jordan wanting to hear her voice since they aren't in communication anymore...I can't wait to find out!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'll throw my hat in the ring and say the blocked caller is the infamous Hank

Anonymous said...

I am with anon 9:07 on this one. I think its Hank as well.

Anonymous said...

its jordan..i noe it.. 100%...well not really but im guessing:) i hope its jordan or josh just so she could talk to either one of them! i hope its josh ....they need to talk already! plz its breakin my heart!!!
p.s THANKS FOR THE DOUBLE POST AMA!!!lol oh and for the post on the other blog..btw..devon is totally in love with amber!

Anonymous said...

WHAT HAPPENED TO JOSH'S MOM?!?!

Anonymous said...

hmm i don't think it's josh. it doesn't sound like something he would do.but i don't see why jordan would do something like that either, he already talked to her today..
is it possible for zack to track down who've been calling anna?

i can't wait to read more about this!!!!!
vicky may the force be with you!!!