Thursday, April 19, 2007

Telling The Parents

Everyone’s attention was focused on Jordan, even Nick and Amy were sitting on the edge of their seats even though they knew that if Jordan and I were engaged, they would know about it.

Jordan looked down at me when I took his hand in mine, I didn’t know exactly what he was going to say but I knew he would say the right thing.

“Anna and I are now and will only ever be just friends!” He sat back down and took a sip of water from his glass.

“Idiot!” John ripped his napkin from his lap, threw it on the table and pushed his chair back. “You might as well be gay too!” He yelled at Jordan, “What the hell is wrong with you? The perfect woman for you has been under your nose all your life and you screw that up?”

I went to say something but stopped short when Jordan jumped up from his chair. “Perfect for me? What the hell do you know? You don’t even know a damn thing about me, how do you know what’s perfect for me?”

John glared at Jordan, “How dare you talk to me like that you spineless piece of crap.”

“Spineless?” Jordan laughed, “Well I guess I had to get it from somewhere!”

I stared at Jordan, never before had he ever talked back to his father like this. I was so proud but so worried at the same time.

“The woman you think is so ‘perfect’ for me has absolutely no interest in me! I could parade around naked in front of her and she wouldn’t even notice!”

I raised a brow at him, what? I’d notice that, I’m not completely dead to him.

“Jordan please sit down,” his mother reached out her hand to touch him but he pulled away.

“No mom, I done. I’m tired of this bullshit.” He turned to his father. “I don’t care, you don’t have to like me, and you can pretend that you only have two sons for all I care. I’m out of here. Come on Anna,” Jordan reached for my hand and pulled me up from my chair.

“Jordan what about…?” I looked at him and saw that despite what he said, he did care.

John jumped from his chair and crossed the room to us. He grabbed Jordan by the arm and spun him around. “Your mother told you to sit down. Why don’t you show some respect?”

“John please don’t,” Harriet cried as she looked on in horror as they both stood there with their hands clenched into fists, staring each other down.

I glanced towards Nick to see if he was going to break this up but he was too busy whispering soothing words to Amy, who was crying in his arms. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath, like so many times before; I knew that I had to be the one to get them to calm down. And I knew out of the two of them, Jordan was the easiest to get under control.

“Jordy,” I whispered as I stepped between the two of them. He reluctantly turned his gaze in my direction. “Do you really want to do this?” I asked, placing my hand on his chest, over the pocket that held the picture of Jenna.

He slipped his hand up to mine, his fingertips touching the edge of Jenna’s photo. “I want her to be proud of me,” his shoulders slumped as some of the anger escaped his body.

“She will be Jordy but you have to stop this.” I glanced to my left at his mother and so did he. “Do you really want to cut her off from knowing your mother?”

Jordan chuckled, “No,” he said softly as he shook his head. “Mom is the only reason I’m where I am today.” It was true, for as hard as his father was on him, his mother was twice as loving and nurturing, although sometimes you wondered if she didn’t share her husband’s feelings.

“Then why don’t you tell her the reason we are here tonight?” Jordan looked at me and then pass me to his father. “No,” I said, turning his attention back to his mother. “Forget about him; tell your mom your news.”

Harriet stood up, “What news?”

Jordan walked over to his mother, “Mom please sit down.” He pulled a chair over to her end of the table and he sat down; she took his hands in hers, she looked so worried.

“What is this about?” John snarled from behind me.

“Shut up and listen,” I snapped, moving closer to Jordan.

“Mom, I have to something to tell you.” She looked at me but Jordan shook his head. “No mom, it doesn’t have anything to do with Anna.” He stopped and grinned. “Well actually if it wasn’t for Anna, I wouldn’t know right now. I don’t actually know when I would’ve found out.”

“Jordan you are scaring me,” his mother squeezed his hands.

“Mom it’s good. I promise. For once in my life I’m actually happy, I have something in my life that makes me want to get out of bed in the morning.” A smile like I’ve never seen before crossed his face. “Actually I have someone in my life that makes me feel this way.” Jordan pulled out Jenna’s picture and held it against his chest.

“Do you remember Heather mom?”

His mother nodded, “Yes dear I remember her and how she left.”

“Yeah,” Jordan sighed. “Anyway, she’s back in town and –”

“You are a bigger fool than I thought if you are getting back together with her Jordan!” John said as he moved over to his wife. “She used you once and she’ll do it again.”

I almost laughed, not because of what John said but because for the first time in my life, it sounded like John was concerned about Jordan’s happiness.

“We aren’t getting back together, yet.”

“Jordan, she’s -”

“Dad stop it! I love her ok? I was crazy about her when we were together, I was going to ask her to marry me and my feelings for her haven’t changed. Yes, she’s seeing someone else and she doesn’t seem to be interested in getting back with me but it doesn’t change how I feel about her.”

Jordan groaned, “That’s not what I wanted to say anyway!” He turned to his mom again, “When Heather left town she was pregnant.” Both his parents gasped, “I have a daughter,” he continued. “Her name is Jenna and she’ll be a year old soon.”

Jordan flipped the picture he had around and placed it on the table in front of his mother, “I’d like to bring her around to meet you.”

His mother grabbed the photo and stared at it. “John?” She looked up at her husband before turning back to the picture. “She looks like you Jordan,” Harriet cried. “Such a beautiful little girl,” his mother held the picture against her chest as tears ran down her face. “Oh Jordan!” She grabbed his hand and held it tight.

“Let me see that!” John snatched the picture out of Harriet’s hand and stared down at it. It seemed like everyone was holding their breath, just waiting to see what he would say.

Without a word, John handed Harriet back the picture and walked out of the room.

15 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

First off I’d like to say, yesterday was supposed to be a double post day…I had the entry that I posted earlier and this one that I just posted wrote when I posted the ‘Looking Snazzy’ entry. It’s something I normally don’t do but the story just wanted to write itself and I couldn’t stop! Normally, I spend hours writing just one entry but these last three damn near wrote themselves in no time!

The reason I left you all with cliff hangers instead of posting it all at once is because I’m afraid I’ll run out of stuff to say, so I limit my entries to a certain number of pages when I type in Word.

DDgirl – I’m not sure if that was a compliment or not; me not writing like a Eurpoean but I’m taking it as a compliment! ~s~ And I do sleep, during the days…even when I’m not working.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LIZZIE!! ~throws streamers and releases the balloons, as the ‘happy birthday’ song streams from my speakers~

Well, I Hope Everyone Has A Great Day!

Annie Register said...

Great post!! I wonder what Jordy's father's deal is. When I read it I just wanted Anna or Jordan to go off on him so bad! And why was Amy crying...John's anger wasn't directed at her and Jordan needed Nick more than she did right then.

Anonymous said...

totally agree with annie!!!

and thanks for the double posting TODAY... or any other day for that matter!!! ~S~

PCS

Anonymous said...

Yea I don't really not like Amy but she is not my favorite person esp when she asked anna to sleep with nick I mean is she crazy Also there has to be a story behind why john acts the way he does I mean it's just not normal and the only thing I can think of doesn't make any sense that jordy is not his child but him and nick are twins so it had to be that something happened but he's always been like that so I just don't understand maybe some day we will be able to find out why great posts by the way

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Double! Even tho the double always ends up in a cliff hanger too :)!

There is no reason or excuse for John's behavior that is acceptable. Maybe his father was abusive too, still doesn't matter. My dad's step-dad that raised him & his sister was an alcoholic, physically & emotionally abusive. Used to get drunk & actually shoot at them. My dad grew up to be one of the greatest men alive and made a point of treating us kids the opposite of the way he was treated.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

This was another great post, as usual. I'm always excited to see a new one posted. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Could it be that John sees a lot of himself in Jordan and that's why he's so hard on him? Maybe Jordan is actually his favorite, and he's being such a jacka-- because he's trying NOT to play favorites... Probably not though, his dad would have been nicer to him if he really cared that much. It doesn't say how John treats the older brother Mike. Is he as hard on Mike too, and Nick is just his favorite?

Anonymous said...

When has Nick EVER stood up to his dad in defense of Jordan? From past postings, I think Nick is jealous of Jordan and likes that his dad seems to favor him...

Anonymous said...

Double post here too! I love it! Jordans dad is a little too intense. He needs to calm down before he blows a gasket.
L

Anonymous said...

YAY!! I LOVE DOUBLE POST DAYS!!! Thanks Anna!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the double post! Great as always! =)
Tara

Anonymous said...

You sure make sick days soo much better... 4 posts in one day you are awesome!!
Amanda

Anonymous said...

Thank you Stacey, Vicki, and Anna for the birthday wishes! Wow! This post was fantastic! Talk about a great birthday present! I was getting nervous reading about the way Jordan's father was reacting to him. Jordan just has to walk into the room for his father to blow up - how scary! I don't know if I would have turned out as well as Jordan has, if one of my parents had been that way! Well, I'm off to eat a piece of birthday cake! :-p Can't wait to read tomorrow's post!

~~Lizzie~~

Mehreen said...

Anna, I can't get over your writing talent, you really make me feel! Like right now, I'd like to pop Jordan's dad!

DDgirl said...

Anna,

lol I got it right.
It's not a matter of compliments or the opposite, just observation.
Spending my life in a few different countries, including the US, I leanrt to undrerstand a lot about one's origins from theis way to talk and write!

The entry was great as usual, and I love more and more your character!

take care