Saturday, March 10, 2007

Rude Awakening

A knock on the door woke me up. Groaning, I lifted myself up on one elbow and looked pass Josh and Jess to the clock sitting on the nightstand by the bed; it was 3pm.

When the knock came again, I glanced at Josh who was still snoring softly. “Josh?” I gently shook his arm, “Honey there’s someone at the door.”

“Mmm,” he turned his head towards me, opened his eyes a little but he didn’t say anything, and then closed them again.

“Josh?” I shook his arm again and was rewarded with snoring.

The knock came louder this time, “Damn it! I’m coming.” Pushing the blanket off me, I shivered at the temperature difference. Grabbing on of Josh’s sweatshirts, I pulled it on over my head as I walked out into the hallway.

Bang! Bang! BANG!

What the hell? I gripped the doorknob and flipped the lock. “Bloody hell, give a person a…” I opened the door and came face to face with Carol. Son of a *****!

“What are you doing here?” Carol looked pass me, into Josh’s apartment. “Where is Josh? He better not have left Jesse with you!” She tried to push me out of the way and walk in but I held firm.

“Whoa wait a minute!” She stepped back from me quickly as if touching me contaminated her somehow. “What do you want?”

“We are here for Jesse.” Until he spoke, I didn’t notice the guy that was with her. Glancing over at him I raised a brow and couldn’t help but think, she left Josh for that? Carol’s husband, Phil I guess his name is, was a lot older than I expected. When Josh told me what she said in the note she left, I assumed that the guy would be young, hot and built. But the guy with her was none of the above. Phil was probably pushing 60, about 5’9 and chunky, very chunky. I suppose, I thought, if you tilted your head to the side and squinted, his comb over was sexy. I would’ve laughed but the sudden pressure of a hand on my back made me jump.

“I have Jesse until 5, you know that.” I looked up at Josh and could see his jaw twitching from the clenching.

“No go daddy.” A sleepy Jesse said as he snuggled against his dad’s shoulder.

“Now Josh,” Phil spoke calmly and slowly. “We have an arrangement…”

“Yeah, and it says I get him until 5.”

Carol rolled her eyes and reached for Jesse, “Josh grow up. We dropped him off a day early; picking him up a couple hours early shouldn’t be such a big deal.”

Josh turned, keeping Jesse away from Carol. “It was your choice to drop him off early, but I have every right to keep him until 5.”

“I no go daddy!” Jesse said frantically as he wiggled to get down. “No go to mommy’s! No go!” With all the wiggling Jesse was doing, Josh had no choice to put him down or he would drop him. The moment his little feet touched the floor, Jesse took off down the hall. “I stay daddy!” He called out as he turned the corner and disappeared into Josh’s room.

I was still facing the direction Jesse ran off in, upset that he continuously had to be put through this situation when it was very apparent that he didn’t want to go.

“What the hell are you telling him?” I turned back to Carol in time to see her grab hold of Josh’s arm. “How can you play these mind games with your own son?”

Josh pulled his arm out of her grasp. “Me? Mind games?” He laughed, “You think I enjoy seeing Jesse like that? You think I get some thrill out of watching him bawl his eyes out and scream until he’s hoarse every time you come to pick him up?” Josh took a step forward and Carol jumped back, “I don’t know why he doesn’t want to go with you but I’m sure as hell going to find out. And if you are doing anything to hurt him or scare him…”

“What? What will you do?” Carol sneered. “You can’t do anything Josh, there is no reason Jesse wouldn’t want to come home. He’s fine when he’s there but the second he’s here? What are you saying about me?”

When I reached out and took his shaking hand, he turned to me for a second and then turned back to Carol. Taking a deep breath, he shook his head. “No matter what I think of you, I would never bad mouth you in front of Jesse. He doesn’t need to know what kind of person you are.”

Carol glanced down at our hands, “What kind of person I am? Maybe you should be worried about what kind of people you have around him instead of trying to create problems where none exist.”

“You have got to be kidding me.” Josh ran a hand roughly through his hair. “You mean to tell me that Jesse’s reaction every single time you come for him isn’t a problem?” When Carol nodded her head, Josh squeezed my hand…hard.

I wanted to say ‘ouch’ but I didn’t instead I turned to Josh and placed my hand on his chest. “This isn’t really getting you anywhere honey.”

“I agree with the little lady,” Phil chimed in. “Why don’t you just go get Jesse and we’ll be on our way.”

Josh shook his head, “I get him until 5!”

“We are here now for him,” Carol snapped.

I looked up at Josh and he was glaring at Carol and Phil, who weren’t backing down either. I sighed, I wanted to just close the door and tell them to come back at 5 but I was afraid to say anything. Resting my forehead against Josh’s arm, I prayed that he would be able to convince them to leave when out of the blue Phil said, “I know you from some place.” I glanced at him; he was scratching his head as he thought about where it was.

My shoulder’s lifted in a half shrug, “I’m sorry I don’t know where that would have been.”

“Let me think,” he said then he smiled. “You were at the Policemen’s Charity Auction last month.”

I nodded slowly, “Yes I go every year, my brother insists on it.”

Phil stared at me, “Your brother?”

I smiled, “Yes, Zach Christenson. Maybe you’ve heard of him?”

The moment I said Zach’s name Phil’s face went white.

10 comments:

Anna said...

Good morning everyone! I hope everyone's day is starting out great ~s~

Anon...sorry about making you miss him even more...distance sucks, doesn't it?

Well damn! Mehreen, I was hoping I had everyone on pins and needles for those posts ~l~ I hope Vegas went well for you.

Those warm, happy loving family moments are my favorite to write...the drama ones make me not want to stop! ~l~

Hope everyone has a great weekend...I'll be here again tomorrow...tune in if you aren't too busy ~s~

Anonymous said...

I posted this on yesterday's post but then I saw there was a new one so I thought I'd post it over here.

You know what I like best about this blog? You update regularly (so awesome!), you don't get upset when people ask for more posts and you don't act like this is a huge chore for you. Its very refreshing to see someone so enthusiastic about posting. I read other blogs and it seems like alot of the authors have lost their passion for writing. All I hear (or rather read) is how they have lives outside of the blog and how its unrealistic to expect posts often. I realize they (and you too) have lives outside of blogs...I just think if something is important to you then you find time for it. I love that you manage to find time to balance your life and this blog and don't seem to ever complain about it. You give us great posts day after day and lose your passion for writing. So basically after this semi-rambling post I just wanted to say thank you and keep up the good work! :-D


And thanks for a great post again today!

Anna said...

~gasps~ blog writers have a life?? Where was I when this memo was released?? ~l~ I'm just kidding.

I know what you mean Ashley, about some bloggers who seem to have lost their zest for the story and I have to admit there are days that I sit here and think, 'damn I don't want to post today.' Then I slap myself and get to it ~L~

Yes, I have a life...I have a full time overnight job...and I have friends and family who want me to hang out when I'm trying to sleep. So it seems harder to find the spare time to write. But it's something I've always wanted to do since I was knee high to a grasshopper (silly saying I know but it makes me laugh to think about how small that would actually be). Of course, over the years I ended up talking myself out of being a writer, the spelling and gammer issues I have daily are a downer...plus I tend to ramble...oh yes, I do it too...they say all the best people in the world ramble ~g~

The point, my point...thank you for reading and expressing your thoughts and opinions, it means alot to me to hear what people think...good or bad ~g~

Nic said...

What kind of encounter did Phil and Zach once have? Because how can you get afraid (coz thats what I think Phil is) of Zack? He's such a nice and good person. Well...except maybe when you touch his family.

Love the post. Can't wait for the next.

Anonymous said...

Well maybe him being afraid of Zach will give him second thoughts about messing with her boyfriend....and his kid.

Anonymous said...

oooooooooooh, new plot twist! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Agreed, very nice twist. I can't wait to see what's next. I wonder if Annas brother being a cop, he's got dirt of Phil that might help Josh keep Jesse or something.


Thanks for a whole bunch of great posts this week :)

Anonymous said...

Unfortunatelly I´m having an awful weekend so far...
totally agree with Ashley about the other blogs...
Lov the new twist!!!

Thanks for posting...

PCS

Anonymous said...

Oooooooohhh. I am so excited to find out why Phil is afraid of Zach... I hope it is somerthing that will help Josh out with the Carol sitch...

Waiting with baited breath...

Vikki

Anonymous said...

ah i feel sorry for jess. it seems like he's really scared. can't wait to find out what happend between zack and phil!!!!