Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Can We Start Over?

Josh wouldn’t tell me where we were going, and I hated that. As we drove through the wealthier part of town, I started to worry that we were going to his parents’ house. Would he do that? Take me to his parents place without telling me? Nervously I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear and looked down at what I was wearing. Argh! Damn Chad for getting sick on me.

“Please tell me where we are going.” I begged him.

He began to slow down and turned into a driveway on the right side of the road. Putting the car in park, he turned to me and smiled. “We are going here.”

Looking out my window, my heart fell; it was his parents’ house. “I can’t go in there.”

“Sure you can,” Josh simply said as he opened his door and came around to my side.

Reluctantly, I took his hand and let him help me out of his car. “But Josh, just look at me.” I thought he would understand why I was nervous, I looked like crap. Besides wearing old sweat pants and shirt, my hair was messy from when they were tickling me earlier and from the nap we took. But as his eyes slid over me, a naughty grin appeared on his handsome face.

When his eyes traveled back up to mine, the look he gave me was enough for me to know exactly what he was thinking. “Josh…”

His hand wrapped around the back of my neck and he lowered his head, brushing my cheek with his lips. “Do you want to get back in the car and make out for a little bit?”

Gasping, I batted at his arm. “Josh! We can’t do that!”
“Sure we can,” he glanced towards the house and back again. “They’ll never notice.”

I laughed, “Uh huh. I’m sure they wouldn’t. Let’s go inside.”

Josh sighed, “Ok, if you insist.”

I knew he got me to do what he wanted. Even though the idea of making up with him was way more appealing than meeting his parents looking like I did. I didn’t think that making out in broad daylight in their driveway would make a good impression.

We were in the front entrance taking off our jackets when Josh slipped his arms around my waist and pulled me tight against him. “You look great, you will be great. My parents will love you because I do.”

I wanted to tell him that wasn’t the case but the sound of someone clearing their throat behind him interrupted. “Hello mom,” Josh went to her and gave her a big hug. “How are you?”

“I’m just great Joshua. Your father and I had a good time visiting Louise.” She looked past Josh and spotted me. “And who is this?” She asked him, her expression was difficult to read and that made me nervous.

Josh turned to me and held out his hand. “Mom, this is Anna.” I slipped my hand in his and he gave it a squeeze before he pulled me to him.

His mom looked at us, her expression unreadable still.

“Nice to meet you Mrs. Baker.” I held out my hand and smiled.

Josh’s mom raised her brow at him, looked at my hand and then at me. All my anxieties about meeting her came rushing back. Oh my god, she doesn’t like me. She’s thinking that Josh is crazy for liking me. My smile started to waver, and my hand began to shake. I felt like such a fool holding it out there but I didn’t seem to have control over my arm to pull it back.

His mom touched her fingers to her mouth; she looked so upset like she was going to cry. I wanted to run for the nearest exit but Josh’s arm around my waist prevented me from even moving. I looked up at Josh, he wasn’t smiling anymore. “Mom?”

Her eyes turned to his and she dropped her hand from her mouth. “Oh Joshua,” she moved towards us. Her hand grasped mine and shook it. “It’s nice to meet you,”

“Mrs. Baker,” I started but I didn’t know what I wanted to say. I wanted to tell her who wonderful I thought her son was and how great Jesse was but didn’t want her to think I was trying to butter her up.

She smiled at me. “Oh Anna dear, please call me Helen.” She looked up at Josh, “Your father is in the study with Roy and Walter.” Josh nodded and took my hand. “Don’t worry about Anna; I’ll take good care of her.”

I watched as she shooed him off in the direction of the study. I wanted to scream for him not to leave me alone, I was afraid that she wouldn’t be friendly once he was out of the room.

“Come on Anna, you can help me with dinner.” She started down the hall and I had no choice but to follow her.

Once in the kitchen she put me to work making a garden salad while she checked on the roast she had in the oven. “So Anna?” She closed the oven door and came over to the counter and sat down across from me. I smiled up at her and waited for her to continue, prepared for anything she threw at me. “How old are you?”

Except that one. “I’m 23,” I told her in what I hoped was a voice that seemed confident.

She nodded slowly, “You know Joshua is 32, right?” I said yes. “Don’t you think the age difference will cause problems between the two of you?”

I stopped ripping the lettuce and looked her in the eye. “I don’t know for sure if it will or not. I have no reason to believe it will because Josh and I are able to talk through any issues that come up.”

“Like your roommate?” She shook her head, “I know Joshua has told me that there isn’t anything between you and the youngest Pollett boy but I can’t help but be concerned. Joshua has been hurt pretty badly before and I don’t wish for him to go through that again. So if you are not in this relationship for the long term, I want you to get up and leave right now.”

I jumped up, staring at her.

“Just go," she sighed. "I’ll tell him,” she got up and headed for the doorway.

18 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning everyone!

I hate meeting the parents because no matter how much you think about it, it never ends up the way you imagine. And sometimes that a good thing ~g~

I'm trying to decide on a font color to stick with...or two to rotate through....any thoughts?

have a good day...~g~

Anonymous said...

umm overprotective much? How about giving her a chance mom? And I like how you use different fonts, it's easier on the eyes.

A

Anonymous said...

holy crap. man, she is mean! i dread the thought of being formally introduced to my boyfriend's mom. i imagine an icy conversation like this taking place between us also. i hope anna stands firm and doesn't let josh's mom treat her like crap. i'd also tell josh what him mom said and see how he feels about it. great blog. can't wait to read more. also, don't forget about phil and zach!!!

Great post. can't wait for the next one.

um, i'm traditional, so i like black font on a white background, with a time new roman script!! :)

also, i was wondering if anyone else thinks it's ridiculous that erica's diary hasnt been updated in so long. just wondering!!

Anonymous said...

NOOOOOOO!!!!! HOW COULD YOU DO THT AND DOUBLE POST AND STILL LEAVE US HANGING.
I CAN WAIT TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS, I HOPE ANNE EITHER GETS UP AND GOES TO JOSH AND EXPLAINS TO HIM WHAT JUST HAPPENED OR THE ANNE SITS DOWN AND SAYS I AM HERE TO STAY!!!! I CANT WAIT TO READ TOMRROW, AND WHO DOES JOSHS MOM THINK SHE IS YEA I UNDERSTAND PROTECTIVE MOM BUT U DNT DO THT!!!!! I LOVE THIS BLOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ITS THE BEST

Anonymous said...

OHHH, ,MYYY, GAWDDDD... could poor Anna hit any more brick walls, typical mother protecting her cub, but give me a break, he is 32 years old!!

That was nice of Anna to leave us hanging yesterday on the 2nd post and then today again, she knows how to keep us coming back.

I LUV THIS BLOG, IT'S THE BEST!!!

PS - I Think the "Erica Blogger" gave up, she obviously does not have the same passion of writing like Anna does.

G

Anna said...

Silky unforunately many of the good blogs out there seem to die off...either the writer loses interest or the story isn't flowing anymore or 'real life gets in the way'.

It upsets me when other bloggers update regularly and then stop. It upsets me more when they get there and tell people they'll update when ever they feel like it and if you enjoy reading their blog you'll just have to deal with it or stop reading. Or when they tell you that they don't write it for you. ~smh~

It's my opinion that if you publish on the net, you are writing for whoever reads and they do have the right to get there and ask what's going on when you don't post as often. Just like they have the right to tell you what they think of your blog, good or bad.

I've posted comments on others blogs under my 'I'm too lazy to sign in' name "nyfg". I recently made a comment on another blog about something the blogger said and I've been told to stop reading if I didn't have anything good to say because the blog isn't written for those who make negative comments.

I won't tell you which blog it was, but I'm sure everyone has read that one since it's always referenced when others ask about other blogs to read, hell I even tell people to check it out.

But my point is...good or bad, comments should always be welcomed. And yes they write for themselves but if it's posted public when they have the option of making it private, they are also writing for whoever reads it. Who can blame people for wanting more if the story is good?

~doesn't know if I made sense...I think I was all over the place and without a real purpose~

but yeah...I'm here for those who read me...and I'll update like always until I either burn out or 'get a life' ~l~

Anonymous said...

anna, u rock! awesome and accurate perception and opinion about the other, not so committed bloggers. as long as u keep posting, we'll be here reading!!

Anonymous said...

I think Anna is going to let Josh's mom know exactly where to go with that attitude. Great post. I can't wait for the next one!!

Keep up the great writing!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

I love you and your blog. I think the Erica blog is gone. Although it would be nice for her to take the site down so we know for sure.
Thanks for the double post. I know you work hard to make that happen! I am lovin the story and hope that Anna doesn't walk out!

Anonymous said...

Oops. That was me, L. I forgot to sign

Anonymous said...

See??? that´s why I like this blog ... and the writer too for that matter!!!

This thing hasn´t happened only with Erica´s Diary.... Rachel´s Rockin Trip too... she doesn´t post half as frequently as she used too.
But I still got hope, her blog is so cool!!!!

I hate it too when you make a coment and the others don´t really understand that what you really mean is just to give your opinion even if its negative they come right way barking at you: " IF DONT LIKE IT OR DONT HAVE ANYTHING GOOD TO SAY JUST STOP READING!!!!"

Where is our right to express our opinions???

well never mind!!!

Lov this blog...

PCS

Anonymous said...

HAHA OMG Anna! I read that post in the other blog but I didn't know it was you. You totally posted what I was thinking! I thought it was bitchy of her to say that to you and stupid of the other posters to blindly defend her and attack you. You just made a point that I tried to get across when I commented on Erica's Diary once. These people keep saying that they only write for themselves and they don't care if they get readers. Well why post it on the internet then? Why make it public for tons of people to see? They obviously wanted someone to see it and probably do enjoy reading the positive comments so they shouldn't act like they don't get anything out of it. Oh, and in my opinion, those comments that made "Erica" stop posting were not nearly as bad as she made them out to be. There were a couple that were really bad but most of the "nasty" ones were only ones asking her to update regularly. Honestly, I think she was looking to stop writing and thats how she chose to do it. I've pretty much given up on that blog and the other one you commented on. I stick to yours because you're reliable and the posts are always great!

Anonymous said...

I just started reading yesterday. Great job! I hooked on blogs as a way to break up my day.


As for the storyline, parents can be great or nightmares. I had a friend who suffered with a terrible MIL who though no one was good enough for her "baby" and all the times he would screw up she always would coddle him and tell him it wasn't his fault!

As for the fonts, I like the different colors mixes things up!

Anonymous said...

OHHH Anna you are the best!
i didn't expected two posts yesterday and just checked in for today's post, so i was nicely surprised!! =) Thnx!

Ok, so josh's mom needs to relax! josh is 32!i'm sure he can look out for himself and know what he is doing.
and it was soooo funny that he "forgot" anna!!lol...can't wait to read tomorrows post!

Anonymous said...

i like the different colors, it makes it easier to distinguish between posts. Today's entry is really good but I am anxious to find out what happens. This entry struck a chord because I'll most likely end up meeting my bf's parents in the next couple weeks.

~Tara

Anonymous said...

anna, as everyone else says, thanks for a double post yesterday =) i was pleasently surpised when i went on to check last night if there was another post AND THERE WAS! haha. by the way.. i've checked out the other ones.. not erica's diary or anything, but the other ones that people are always saying to look at,and i definately don't think they're anywhere near as good as this one. but onto my comment for the post! i can't believe his mom did that! actually i can, if she's all rich and what not. and it's a good thing they didn't stay in the car and make out.. sheesh! i think she should just sit down and be like 'i was sujprised you said that so i'm sorry for jumping up, but i am here for the long haul, and i apologize if you don't like it but i'm here for your son, not you.' because i would be speechless if some daughter said that to me! i can' honestly say that i've never been in the position anna is in, every parent of every boyfriend i've ever had has loved me.. i've actually got one ex-boyfriend and his mom still calls me and asks me out to lunch sometimes...!!

Anonymous said...

I love this blog. It is my favorite out of them all. Can we do a blog check...? I am looking for new material that actually updates and interests. I work long hours, and i only read here... so i need lots of stuff to keep me occupied!! LoL.

Darrick Reynolds said...

Place your ring finger on the 2nd string, 2nd fret Todd And Cervantes Learning Guitar The Eagles - Hotel California (traditional acoustic version) *chords If your fingers start naturally "playing" even when you're nowhere near the game, and when your friends give you weird looks you calmly explain that it's green blue red duh. Then you continue doing it as if everybody should do this.