Saturday, March 3, 2007

Getting Involved

Instead of being the supportive sister that I think Chad was expecting when he told us what Susan accused him of, I did something he didn’t expect, I laughed and not the ‘ha-ha that’s funny’ I-don't-believe-you laugh either. Tears were coming to my eyes at the thoughts of Susan actually saying that to Chad and it being true. Ok, it wasn’t really that funny but I couldn’t stop laughing, maybe I was losing it?

I looked at my brothers and both of them looked concern for my mental state. “I’m sorry,” I gasped as the laughter started to die down. “Just the thought of you screwing around on Susan is funny I don't think anyone is that desperate to want you."

Chad rolled his eyes, “Gee thanks for the vote of confidence.”

“Oh come on Chad, seriously? That’s what she said?”

Chad nodded, “She continued ranting, asking how long I’ve been in contact with Wanda and if I really thought she was that stupid not to figure it out.”

“Well, what did you say to her? Did you at least try to explain?”

“Of course I did!” His voice went up an octave when he said that, “But I also made the mistake of getting upset and telling her that even thinking I would give up everything I have with her to have a fling with Wanda was stupid.”

I groaned, “You didn’t!” When he nodded, I shook my head.

Zach, who had been quite this whole time leaned forward in his chair and smacked Chad across the back of the head. “Are you that stupid? You don’t, I repeat don’t ever tell your wife anything she thinks is stupid. That’s only asking for trouble.”

“I know!” Chad shouted, rubbing the back of his head as he glared at Zach.

I sat there staring at the two of them for a moment, “So what now?”

Zach shrugged his shoulders, “We hope that Susan likes dumb ass over there enough to come back or call or something.”

A tense silence had setting over the family room; no one said a word after Zach said that, we all were lost in our own thoughts. Chad got off the couch and walked over to the ‘family’ wall, he stopped in front of his wedding picture. Lifting his hand to the photo, he traced the lines of Susan’s face. “Sweetheart I’m sorry,” he whispered, his shoulders fell as his head came to rest on the wall next to the photo.

I tried not to watch him; just seeing Chad this sad was enough to make my heart ache for him. I wished that there was something I could do, I wished that the phone would ring and Susan would be on the line and then I wished that she would walk through the door. I hate feeling helpless when it came to my family hurting, even if it was over something so silly. How would you feel if it was you? I questioned myself. I couldn’t come up with an answer, I flip flopped back and forth between overreacting like Susan did and talking it out but of course, knowing me I would over react.

While I was having that little debate with myself Mary came down stairs holding Josh’s cell phone. “It just rang,” she said as she handed it to me.

I took the phone and stared at the display which read ‘1 missed call’ debating on whether or not it would be wrong of me to see who called. Yes, it would be! I finally told myself and went to lay the phone down on the table when it started to ring again, making me jump. I glanced at the caller id and saw Carol’s name displayed, I sat there listening to the phone ring so tempted to answer it but I didn’t. I turned to Zach, who was talking quietly to Mary. “Please take this,” I interrupted them and shoved the phone at him. He raised his brow but didn’t say anything as he took the phone from my hand.

No sooner did he take it when it started to ring again, he glanced at the caller id and flipped the phone open! “Hello?” He looked at my open mouthed shocked expression and chuckled. “Sure one moment.” He handed the phone back to me.

Staring at him wide eyed, I held the phone up to my ear. “Hello?” My voice was shaky; I was expecting Carol’s voice to come over the line.

“Hey honey.” Obviously it wasn’t Carol.

I grinned, “Josh.” I got up from the table and wandered off into my old room, closing the door behind me.

He laughed, “Yeah. So you took off with my phone and left me to listen to yours ringing like crazy for the pass couple minutes before I found it and answered it.”

If he was sitting with me he would’ve been on the receiving end of a really confused look. “What?”

“I thought it was mine, I was trying to stop Jess from throwing his toys all over the floor when I grabbed it and answered without looking at it.” He paused, “If I had known it was yours, I swear I wouldn’t have answered it.”

It took me a moment to realize that he was thinking that I’d be upset. “Oh! It’s not a big deal,” I told him and then chuckled, “Let me guess, it was Jordan?”

Josh laughed, “Yes it was, he was a little surprised that I answered your phone and told him you weren’t here.”

“I bet. So what did he want?”

“I don’t know, he wouldn’t tell me. When I told him you were at your brother’s house he asked me to call you and tell you to call him. He said he didn’t want your brothers to know he was calling?”

“Huh. That’s strange.”

“Yeah, so maybe call him see what’s up.”

I nodded, and then realized that he couldn’t see me. “Ok, thanks for calling. And just so you know, Carol tried calling you just now.”

“What did she want?”

“You think I answered your phone?” I shook my head, “Can you imagine that conversation?”

Josh chuckled, “Yeah it’s probably better that way, I don’t want you to have to deal with her if I’m not around.”

“So you should probably call her,” I said but didn’t really mean it.

“Nah,” he replied. “I’m sure if it’s important she’ll call back. Unless,” His tone changed, he sounded hopeful. “Maybe she can’t pick Jess up ever and he has to stay here.”

I smiled, “That would be nice.”

“Yeah,” he sighed, “But nice isn’t in her vocabulary. I better go call her.”

“Ok,” I said even though I didn’t want him to go. “I should call Jordy anyway; see what the big deal is.”

Before we hung up Josh asked me if I would come over later, after Jess left. I told him I would, of course and then we hung up.

Using Josh’s cell phone, since it was already in my hand, I dialed my home number. Just as I hit send, I glanced back at the screen and saw my name pop up as it was connecting. Even though it was silly, just knowing that he had me programmed into his phone made me smile.

The phone rang twice before Jordan’s frustrated voice came over the line. “Jordy, what’s wrong?”

“Where are you calling from?” He ignored my question.

“I’m at Zach’s; I accidentally took Josh’s phone when I left his place. I’m using his phone. Now tell me what’s wrong, why didn’t you just call me at Zach’s?”

“Are you alone? Does anyone know you are calling me?”

“I’m in my room and no one knows why Josh called me. Tell me what’s wrong!” I almost screamed at him.

He lowered his voice, “Anna you have to come home right now.”

I rolled my eyes, “Jordan what do you need?”

“I don’t need anything but you have to come home. Right now!

“Jordy just tell me why.” I hated it when people didn’t tell me what was going on but they expected me to just drop everything and run over. “Things here are a little tense, I’m needed here.”

Jordan didn’t say anything at first then he sighed, “I know Anna.”

I frowned, “How do you know?”

“Because your sister-in-law has been here since last night!” He snapped and hung up the phone.

4 comments:

Anna said...

It was nice to hear about the weather in different parts of the world. But what seemed to surprise me was just how vastly spread out the readers of this blog are...I know it's silly and I should've known but still it surprised me.

The weekend is here for me, I only have three more days and I get a day off work...I can't wait ~l~

Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

wow thats a kick in the pants...

-B

Mehreen said...

I saw that coming! I hope Anna can convince Susan that Chad cheating on her with Wanda is ludicrous. I also hope Carol drops dead. It's warming up in Philly! I'm off to Vegas tomorrow, I'm gonna miss reading this blog for a couple days!

Anonymous said...

you do have readers eveywhere! I'm in Newfoundland...with snow just like you and I read this everyday, generally as a break from studying! Keep it up! I love it!
-C