Thursday, March 29, 2007

Pub Talk

I gave Hank a smile, “Thank you, my boyfriend says the same thing to me everyday.”

Confusion briefly crossed his face, then his eyes widened, “No, I didn’t mean it…Well I did mean it but I just meant…” he sighed. “I was just giving you a compliment.”

“Come on,” I said motioning towards the bar. “Let’s go get you something to drink and then I’ll introduce you to some people.”

Hank didn’t say anything as we walked to the bar and got him a beer, he seemed embarrassed still about the compliment he gave me. “Listen, I don’t know if this was a good idea, I feel guilty about being here.”

“What?” I stopped him from walking further. “Why would you feel that way?”

Hank glanced around and then rested against a nearby stool then played with the beer bottle in his hand. “Anna?” He looked up at me, “Do you have a few minutes to talk? Or do you have to get back to your friends?”

As he asked that I looked around to see where Josh was. He was leaning against one of the pool tables in the bar of the pub with Jordan. Both of them were watching us and neither one looked happy. I held up my hand with all my fingers stretched out, “Five minutes”, I mouthed. Josh crossed his arms over his chest, further showing his displeasure, and shook his head. When I rolled my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest he looked at Jordan and they spoke for a second. Josh turned back to look at me, shrugged his shoulders and then pushed off the pool table. Jordan did the same thing as Josh did, although he also added a dirty look.

“Ok,” I turned back to Hank. “What’s on your mind?”

“You sure?” Hank asked as he took a sip of his beer.

I nodded, “Oh yes, my boyfriend is very understanding.”

“Lucky you, I don’t know if I would be so understanding in his place.”

“Well you’ll get to meet him soon and you’ll see he’s the best,” I smiled. “So what’s on your mind Hank? Why would you feel guilty about being here?”

“I tried to call my girlfriend earlier to tell her about coming here but her father answered the phone and pretty much told me that she didn’t want to talk to me. I know that’s no true, he doesn’t want her to talk to me.” He shook his head, “I don’t know what his problem is, I really don’t. Do I seem like a bad guy to you?”

“No Hank you don’t,” I pulled up a stool and sat down with him. “I don’t know you that well but I’m pretty sure you aren’t a bad guy. Your girlfriend trusts you to be alone with her daughter while she’s at work, so you have to be a pretty good guy.”

“Her father doesn’t think so. He keeps telling her that she can do better and has actually tried to get her to call her ex up while I’m sitting in the room.”

“Hank why would her father do that? Why don’t you tell me what you know about her ex?”

“All I know is he got her pregnant and didn’t own up to his responsibility when she told him. Heather told me that her father just adored her ex and hasn’t gotten over their break up.” He looked at me, “Why what are you thinking?”

I sighed, “Well Hank I have to tell you, if I were in your girlfriends place and I truly cared about you, then no one would keep me from being with you and I wouldn’t tolerate anyone making you feel like you weren’t good enough.”

He stood up, “You don’t think she loves me.”

“I’m sorry, I don’t.”

“Well that’s just great,” he laughed. “Thanks for the beer and the ‘help’ Anna.”

He started to turn for the door but I grabbed his arm. “Hank wait, look I know you don’t want to hear it but you have to admit, you’ve been wondering the same thing lately.”

“Anna, is everything ok?”

Hank and I turned at the sound of a new voice; standing beside us was both Josh and Jordan. “Guys everything is fine.” I turned back to Hank, “Are you ok?” All the color had drained from his face as he stared at the guys. “Hank?”

His eyes slowly slid back over to me, “I can see why you’d say that about my girlfriend now. I can’t believe you Anna.” There was no stopping him at that point, he grabbed his jacket and stormed towards the door muttering under his breath about being a fool and not seeing it.

I stared at his receding profile in utter shock, why would I care about his relationship? What difference would it make to me? I spun around and stared at the guys about to ask them what happened when it hit me. Oh my god!

20 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

I'm sorry I couldn't double post here yesterday. I ended up having to post a few times over at the other blog. Please remind me again why I'm so crazy to be attempting two blogs at the same time? ~l~ Actually I know why I do it, it's great fun for me!

I have to work tonight, so there won't be another post here today either...~g~

It's interesting to see that people think there's something fishy about Hank...I think he's just a guy frustrated with his relationship and needs someone to talk too ~s~

Well Have a good day everyone...and leave lots of comments? Please? ~g~

Anonymous said...

Oh ANNA, you are MEAN, I cannot believe your leaving us hanging like this. But I wonder if that is Phil's daughter?

Can't wait till tomorrow!!

Love this BLOG!!!

G

SILKY SMooTH said...

anna, i'll tell u why ur so crazy to do two blogs: because theyre the best blogs online nowadays!!! i'm so happy you like doing this, that means we can hopefully look forward to your writing for a long time to come. i'm suuuuuuuuper bummed there won't be a double post. im dying to find out the anna-hank connection. also, i don't remember how they ever met or know eachother. could someone tell me so that i dont have to go through all the old entries?? thanks. anna, keep up the awesome job!!! :)

Anonymous said...

If I remember correctly she met him while she was working at Wal Mart, he was wandering the aisles till she stopped and asked him if he needed anything and the flood gates of his mouth opened up.

I think that's right?

EJ said...

Good lord... you should win an award for being the master of cliff hangers! I still love it all!!!

Anonymous said...

So is Josh or Jordan the ex-boyfriend that Hank was talking about? Hopefully it's not Josh because if it is that would suck! I don't think it's Phil's because Anna said his little girl looked familiar way before she met Phil. DOUBLE POST!!!

A

Anonymous said...

What? WHAAATTT??!!!!! you can't end your post like that!!! sigh.... i'm frustrated, i wanna know what anna just realized!!!
looks like i have to wait till tomorrow to find out! sigh =(

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! You can't leave us hanging like this!!! It's the beginning of the day and now I have to wait 24 hours to find out what the connection is!! So good yet so mean at the same time!

Anonymous said...

I cant believe it!!! are you serious about us having to wait till tomorrow??oooo gosh!!!
lol!!!
PCS

Anonymous said...

That ending is like the end of the chapter in a book your reading and it's 1am in the morning & you know you have to get up early! Of course you keep reading! However, we don't have that luxury - we are forced to wait until tomorrow! Another awesome post!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

I am thinking Jenna is Jordans baby, but then think that can not be true cause he and Anna are so close she would KNOW if he had a Gf...esp on who was pg, and I can NOT see Jordan leaving a woman pregnant with his baby....hummm but Josh...I can not see him doing it intentionally leaving either, but if he had a gf at one time and maybe did not know she was pg...OH man I am just drawing at straws LOL...I guess I will have to JUST wait.....or wait a MINUTE what about Nicky?? are he and Jordan identical or fraternal twins....maybe Jenna's mom is someone he had a fling with and then she got pg and he was already with or married to Amy....and so left her....OH man just adding to the *pot* here :) You are a grest blooger and I love how the blogs are getting to multi-faceted and involce all parts of her life. Also really enjoying your other blog....

Keep up the great work and have a good day....looking very forward to tomorrow....as WE did our house out of SNOW that began as Thunder and Lightening, and had been in the upper 70's!!! gotta love this wonderful Wyoming weather ....

Lori

Anonymous said...

Hey!! Great entry, I can't wait to find out what the heck she figured out tomorrow!! I am completely clueless, I didn't think Josh had any other relationships besides his ex... what if Hank has mistaken Jordan for his twin brother, Nicky???

Also, what is the the web address for your other blog?! I'd love to read that too!

Kate

Anonymous said...

I just started reading the other blog and it is great! I can't wait to see what Anna realized.. Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Holy crap...what is it????
L

Anonymous said...

Where is the other blog?????

Anonymous said...

the link is in the upper left corner of this one under "My Other Blog."

Anonymous said...

What hit you?!?!?

Aaaaw man I CAN'T WAIT until tomorrow's post!!!! I'll be thinking about this for the rest of the day.

THIS BLOG IS THE GREATEST!!!!

Thanks Anna!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

Noooo! No double post?? Say it ain't so. Your other blog is getting good too. I want to know what she realizes. Thanks for keeping us so updated though, its a pain for other blogs that don't get updated as much (ahem Diary of E).

Anonymous said...

Okay, so here is what I am thinking....Hank's girlfriend seems to have a controlling father. My theory is that she actually got pregnant by some random guy and just told everyone that it was Josh's baby since him being a coach makes him a public figure....then again, Anna did say that Jenna seemed familiar to her. Who knows? I can't wait til tomorrow's post!

Misty

Shar said...

Anna...what a cliffhanger! I don't think I can wait until tomorrow!