Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A Little Careful Planning Is Needed

When my brother gained custody of me, he decided that he would do everything in his power to ensure that nothing was ever lacking in my life. This desire to make sure our lives were as full as possible, he started throwing parties for every holiday there was. At first they were just small family parties but as the years passed by his small parties turned into ‘the’ parties to be at every year. This year was no different, besides family and friends, the mayor, his boss and co workers, and many other prominent members of the community were invited. Of course with it being Canada Day, the mayor and his boss had prior commitments to the community but that didn’t mean that Zack relaxed either bit the day of the party. He was still as wound up before the party as he was with every other one; although this time he seemed a little snappier.

“Damn it Mary,” I started to push open the kitchen door but stopped short when I heard Zack curse as he asked Mary how she managed to miss picking up half of the stuff on the list he sent her into town with the day before. “Do you think these parties just happen? Do you think I just wave a magic wand and everything just appears?”

“Why yes Zack, I think that, and I believe in unicorns and pixies too,” Mary replied sarcastically.

“Is this all a joke to you, isn’t it? You don’t care if we ever have another party, that’s why you are trying to ruin this one!”

“What is wrong with you Zack? For past 16 years I’ve done everything I could to help you with these parties! Why would I go out of my way to ruin something I’ve help build up for years? What the hell has gotten into you today?”

“There’s nothing wrong with me,” he snapped. “You are the one who forgot the stuff after you made me write the damn list for you!”

“I got everything on the damn list Zack!”

“Well you couldn’t have Mary!” He must have opened or pointed to some thing because he asked her where half of the list of stuff he prepared was. “Tell me Mary, I don’t see it, am I losing my vision.”

“Baby dills? Kielbasa? Cheddar smokies?” Mary repeated a couple of the items Zack listed. “Zack none of those items were on the list!”

“Yes they were!” Zack snapped.

“They were not!” Mary snapped back. “And I have proof; I still have the list in my purse!” I didn’t realize that Mary was coming my way until the kitchen door swung open, almost smacking me in the face as I stood behind it eavesdropping. “What are you doing?” Mary snapped at me when I cried out in shock. “How dare you stand there and listen to our conversation!”

“I…I didn’t mean too,” I stammered, my eyes jumping to Zack as he came bursting through the door way behind his wife. “I just came to see if you guys needed my help with the party.”

“No, we don’t,” Mary told me and then, with teeth clenched, she turned to glare at Zack, “I got everything on the damn list.” When Zack started to protest, saying she forgot a bunch of stuff, Mary stomped down the hallway to the front door where she grabbed her purse from the closet. “I got everything on your stupid list Zack!” She came charging at us as she spoke, I thought she was going to hit my brother but instead, when she got a foot away from him, she threw the list at him and demanded he apologize for being a complete prick.

As he unfolded the piece of paper to look at the list, he smugly started to tell Mary she would be the one apologizing. “Wait a minute,” he frowned as he looked from the list to her. “Where the hell is everything else I added before you left for the store yesterday?”

“I don’t know,” Mary planted her hands on her hips. “Where are those ‘missing’ items Zackary?”

I stood there, uncomfortably, looking back and forth between my brother and his wife as they were locked in a moment; Zack realizing he was in deed as ass to Mary just now and Mary waiting for his apology.

“I don’t understand this,” Zack turned the list over in his hand a couple times before slapping his hand against his forehead. “Natalie!”

Mary’s eyes widened, “Don’t you dare blame our daughter for your screw up Zack!”

“No, no,” he shook his hands at her as he held them up in protest, looking horrified that she even thought he would do that to Natalie. “I was in the living room rewriting the list yesterday when she came in and wanted to play,” he tried to explain. “When you asked for it before you headed out, I must’ve grabbed the wrong one and…” he trailed off as he headed towards the living room.

Mary and I followed him. “What are you -?”

“Ah ha!” He exclaimed, cutting her off, as he pulled a bunch of paper from the shelf in the corner. “I knew I wasn’t crazy!” He crossed over towards us, “See? I knew I added to the list!”

Mary barely glanced at the list, “I’m still waiting,” she told him calmly.

His gaze met hers and his grin faded slightly. “I’m sorry baby cakes -” Mary rolled her eyes and scoffed. “What?” He frowned, “I am sorry, it was an honest mistake, I didn’t -” he jabbed the paper in his hand with his finger. “You have to go into town and grab this stuff before it’s too late.”

“Me?” Mary’s eyes widened, Zack nodded. “No Zack! I have enough work to do around here before the party!” She shot him a dirty look, “Unless you want to prepare all the food for tonight!”

“I can’t,” he told her. “I have to make sure everything is set up outside. I still have to mow the yard!”

“Well if you didn’t leave every thing for the last minute,” Mary started but I jumped in, offering to run into town to grab whatever it was they needed.

“I had to go into town anyway,” I lied.

“No,” Mary shook her head. “I would like your help with the food,” she looked at Zack. “Go wake Cassie up, tell her we need her to run into town, she’ll jump at the chance to do some driving.”

“I don’t know Mary,” Zack said slowly. “I don’t like the idea of Cassie driving without one of us in the car with her.”

“Why not?” Mary asked. “You were the one who taught her how to drive and she passed her written and the road tests with flying colors! How could you doubt her abilities?”

“I’m just not comfortable -”

“Zack we sat down and talked about this before, she’s growing up, it’s time to let her have a little responsibility. It’s time to trust that we did the best job we could.”

He seemed really reluctant still but he finally gave up, and even though he grumbled, he headed towards the stairs. “Wait,” he stopped, his foot in mid air as he paused. Looking back at us, he told Mary that Cassie couldn’t go to town for them. “I wanted to grab some more alcohol,” he explained.

Mary asked him if he was sure we needed it, he said he was and she sighed. “Fine, go wake up the girls,” she told him. “I’ll need the three of them to help if Anna is going to run into town for you.”

As Mary made her way down the hall towards the kitchen, she told him to make sure he had everything he needed on the list for me. “If we ‘forget’ anything this time, it stays forgotten.”

I headed off to get ready to go as Zack returned to the living room to make a list for me. When I came back upstairs, he handed me the list and his bank card. “If you can’t get something on the list, give me a call. We’ll see if we can substitute anything.”

“Ok,” I turned to head to the front door, “I’ll give you a call, I promise.”
I didn’t get two feet when he stopped me. “Listen,” he looked around and then leaned in close. “If you happen to see any flowers while you are picking up the stuff on the list, could you grab some?” He glanced over his shoulder before telling me that he would need them, and a whole lot of luck, to make up for the mistake with the list. I told him to consider it taken care of already; he thanked me and asked me to hurry.

“Hey Zack?” I hesitated. “You won’t mind if I stop by Jordan’s for a minute, will you?”

“No,” he grinned. “Not at all.”

It didn’t occur to me what he was thinking until he started up the stairs, still grinning like a fool, whistling some sappy love song as he went. But it was the laughingly whispered, ‘Anna and Jordan up in a tree…’ that made me roll my eyes and leave.

15 comments:

Anna said...

Happy New Year Everyone! I hope that the coming year brings joy to each and every one of you.

Anonymous said...

Happy New year to you too!
~T

Anonymous said...

Happy TEAM JORDAN New Year! :-)

Anonymous said...

new year, new boy perhaps?


new boy as in jordan. hahahaah.

Anonymous said...

happy new year:D
TEAM JORDAN!!

EJ said...

I hate to say it... but I think it's team new boy time... too much drama with the other two. And yet, it could make for some interesting drama ;)

Carmel Beauty said...

Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

...k-i-s-s-i-n-g! haha
hopefully they'll get together soon!

Anonymous said...

I'm still Team Josh. It makes me sad to read View now.

Anonymous said...

I'm still Team Josh. It makes me sad to read View now.

Anonymous said...

I agree anon 2:35:(

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anon January 3, 2008 2:35 PM. I'm still for TEAM JOSH!! There seems to be something missing tot he VIEW now?

Anonymous said...

Team Josh is RIDICULAS! It doesn't matter that they were "taking a break" he f^cked up, and now has not ONE but TWO baby mommas....none of which happen to be Anna.

I for one am tired of both Josh and Jordan. There needs to be some new people in the bunch.

Anonymous said...

Did I miss the schedule of when you were going to be posting? It seems like the posting times are different now?

GG

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone! I hope that you are all having a great weekend.

So, is anyone else a little messed up from all the holiday stuff, cause I know I am. I don't even know what day it is half the time anymore!

I had hoped to have been back on schedule by now but as most of you noticed, that didn't happen. Next week is looking like a good time to straighten that schedule out ~l~

I'll see you all soon...I may even post this weekend, if I get the time.

Angela