Friday, January 25, 2008

Now Or Never

“Hi Aunt Anna, Jordan.” Cassie gave us a small wave as she joined the rest of her friends among the blankets and mattresses in the middle of the family room. “Dad said that all my friends could spend the night,” she informed me when I asked what the heck was going on.

“What…?” I stared blankly at her but inside my heart was racing. I had planned on talking to Jordan and then letting him sleep on the couch but unless I wanted him sharing the pull out with a couple 17 year old girls, that wasn’t going to happen.

The sound of footsteps and bottles clinking alerted me to Zack’s arrival, he was putting the last of the used alcohol into his bar; I immediately high tailed it over there. “Zack,” I hissed as I leaned over the bar.

“What?” He glanced up from his kneeling position behind the counter. “Is something wrong sis?”

“You told Cassie’s friends they could stay over?”

“Mmhmm,” he nodded as he locked the cabinet before rising to his feet. “Don’t worry, they shouldn’t be too noisy, I’d give them about an hour tops before they are all sleeping like little babies.”

“That’s not what I’m talking about,” I told him.

“Then what’s the problem?” I motioned towards Jordan, who seemed in deep conversation with Ben and another guy. “Ohhhh,” Zack slowly nodded his understanding. “The couch is taken.”

“I know,” I whined. “Now where is he going to sleep?” I glanced at the group of kids, “I guess it’s too much to hope there’s an air mattress still kicking around somewhere?”

“You’re outta luck sis.”

“Then what are we going to do?” I turned to him, hoping he could come up with a solution, one that I didn’t think of. One that didn’t involve Jordan sharing my bed with me, I wasn’t sure if I was able to handle that without something happening.

“Well sis,” he paused for a moment then shrugged. “Looks like you have a bed mate tonight.”

Zack started to walk away but I grabbed his arm. “Are you sure that’s the best solution you have?” He nodded. “What about Cassie?” He frowned. "Well it won’t look good if you are letting Jordan sleep in my bed, she is an impressionable young lady, you know that. And her boyfriend is spending the night.”

Zack’s eyes narrowed as he turned his head towards Ben. For a brief second, I thought for sure that I had him and he would change his mind. “Anna,” he turned his gaze my way. “You’ve shared a bed with Jordan your whole life, even when you were a teenager. When I told you I didn’t like it, you told me that I was being stupid because you guys were just friends and nothing ever happened.”

“It didn’t!”

“Well,” he smiled at me. “I don’t see why tonight should be any different. Unless,” he glanced at Jordan and then back to me. “Have you and Jordan become more than just friends?”

“No, I -”

“Well then, there shouldn’t be a problem.” He flashed me a smile and turned away, “Oh, if you feel that something will happen between you and Jordan, leave the door open. I’m sure having Cassie and her friends as an audience would stop anything from happening.”

“Thanks for the help,” I muttered under my breath as the smirking jerk that was my brother walked towards his daughter to say good night before he disappeared upstairs.

Even though I was a little ticked that Zack didn’t give me a solution, I was relieved at the same time. I knew that it was wrong of me to run to him in hopes that he would take care of my ‘problems’. I was 23 years old, it was time I stopped running and hiding, I needed to take control of my own life.
With that in mind, I purposely stalked my way across the family room until I was standing toe to toe with Jordan. It seemed like the room, the noise and everyone around us, disappeared as I stared up into his green eyes. “It’s time we had that talk.” Without waiting for him to reply or react, I took his hand in mine and led him off to my room so we could have some privacy.

Kicking my door closed, I led him over to my bed where I turned him around and pushed him down to the mattress before turning to grab my desk chair. Pulling it up to my bed, I sat it right in front of Jordan as he righted himself on the bed, whispering, “wow.”

“Wow what?” I gave him a puzzled look.

He shook his head slowly, as if in disbelief. “Babe…I…you…” he seemed to blow out all the air that was in his lungs, “that was hot,” he squeaked at the end of his exhale.

“Jordan!” I slapped his knee. “Be serious!”

He leaned forward, resting his elbows on his knees. “I am serious Anna.”

“Oh,” I frowned, certain I was missing something. “Well,” I leaned forward as well. “I’m glad you are serious because this is very important Jordan.”

He nodded, “You know how I feel, how do you feel?”

It was my turn to exhale all the air in my lungs, “Jordan you’re -”

Jordan growled, “If you tell me that you don’t feel anything for me because we’ve been friends forever…”

“What Jordan?” I challenged him. “What will you do if that’s exactly what I tell you?”

He stared at me for the longest time, so many emotions playing on his face - anger, hurt and disappointment being the ones I recognized the most. “I don’t know,” he sighed finally. “I don’t want that to be the way you feel, yet, I know that there’s nothing I can do about it.”

“Oh?” I raised a brow. “You wouldn’t try to ‘make’ me see why I should feel more for you?”

“Anna,” his hands rested on my knees. “Babe, I tried that already - it didn’t work - not that I really thought it would but still, I tried. I’ve kissed you when you made it clear you didn’t want me too and I lost you for what seemed like forever. I don’t want to make that mistake again; I can’t stand being without you.” He held my gaze for a moment before looking down at his hands. “Life sucks without you Babe.”

With a smile he couldn’t see, I slipped my hands over his. “Jordy, you are my best friend, nothing will ever change that.”

“I know, I know,” he took my hands in his as he leaned down to rest his forehead against them. “I know Babe…I just…”

“Jordy please look at me.” With a deep breath, he straightened up, slowly bringing his eyes up to meet mine. “I know you want to hear something here tonight but -’ he started to lower his head. “Please don’t look away.”

Shifting closer to the edge of the mattress, he muttered, ‘sorry’ as he looked at me again.

“Like I was saying, I know what you want to hear but Jordan it’s because you are my best friend that I can’t say those words to you.”

“That’s bullshit!” He snapped as he dropped my hands. “Why does it matter that I’m your friend Anna? Why are you going to deny how you feel? Tell me,” he demanded. “Tell me how you really feel, damnit!”

“I love you!” I exclaimed, shocking him and myself at the same time. “I do,” I sighed. “I do love you Jordan.”

Jordan was smiling big; he reached for me but stopped at the last second. “But?” He frowned. “Why do I feel a ‘but’ coming?”

“Well,” I moved from the chair to the mattress next to him. “Jordan I don’t want to make a mistake.”

“Why do you think we’ll be a mistake Anna?”

“No Jordan, that’s not what I meant. I meant, we are best friends right now, I don’t want that to change but if I were to enter into a relationship with you at the moment, I think we have a good chance of ruining what we have.” Slipping my hand into his, linking my fingers with his, I rested my head against his shoulder as I peered up at him. “I don’t want you to be the rebound guy Jordan, rebounds never last. I don’t want to take out the disappointment of my relationship with Josh ending, on you. I don’t want to be with you and be comparing you to him. I don’t want…” I took a deep breath and continued, “I don’t want to hurt you Jordan.”

I almost cried when Jordan removed his hand from mine, I thought he was going to storm out of the room but he surprised me. Instead of being mad, he slipped his arm around my waist and with a gentle kiss to my forehead; he told me he loved me. “Part of me understands, that’s the reason I listened to Zack after Heather and I broke up but Babe, I gotta tell you, the other part of me wants to get you under those covers and show you how good we could be together.”

“Jordan!”

He chuckled, “Babe I’m kidding, I just want to hold you. That’s all I want right now.”

21 comments:

Mehreen said...

This blog is like crack, I've been checking all day! Alright, well then I don't think I want Mitch to be rebound either because he seems like an ok guy who works with Zack so Wade should be rebound, she should break his heart, and then run to Jordan. Meanwhile, Jordan can have fun with Olivia. Lord knows that's probably NOT how it's going to a go, but a girl can dream...

Revee said...

Aww good talk. But let's get some action during the night!! I've been checking all day too.

Anonymous said...

Awwww...that was so cute.

Angela, please, please, please, give Anna and Jordan a chance. Pretty please with a cherry on top. I think they will be so cute together. You can have Anna see other people for a while but please give them a chance :-)

Melissa Robinson said...

I love how he calls her Babe and all you Jordy haters-he hasn't ONCE taken advantage of her hurt or disappointment or anything like that!!!

Anonymous said...

Loved, loved, loved the talk. They are so cute together. I'd like Anna to casually date a few guys and realize that she would rather spend time with Jordan. But first, I want some good cuddling overnight!!

Karen

Anonymous said...

i really dont hope that by the time she gets around to liking jordan "in that way"...he falls in love with someone else...that would really suck!:(

Carmel Beauty said...

At least let jordan wait that was prefectly said by anna though I really really really want them together.

Anonymous said...

She has thought of him as a brother her whole life. It would be creepy to have them intimate.

Anonymous said...

Actually Anonymous, Anna has had feelings for Jordan - feelings that she has admitted to already in this blog - since high school. So it's not strange for her to think of him in a romantic light, she has just tried not to because they were friends. But now...well, we'll just have to see what happens now ~g~

Anonymous said...

OH man. Great post! I love that she admitted she has feelings for him! YAy for Jordy!
~Tara

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I loved that conversation!

I agree with Mehreen, I want Wade to be the rebound guy so she can tell him that she did give him a chance and he'll finally leave her alone. Then, she can go for it with Jordan!

Anonymous said...

so, on the topic of waiting - question for all you out there. is if fair to wait? im actually asking not out of critiscm for the blog - this really doesnt have anything to do w/ the anna jordan saga- this is pure whats your opinion (anna obviously wouldnt mind your outlook also!). fictional anna is asking j to wait because she doesnt want him to be a rebound. cool. what if someone tells you they need to step away from a relationship you are already in because they need to figure things out - that they feel like somethings not right in their lives and they cant handle a relationship... that they need you to be there as a friend and the physicality of the relationship wont let them think straight. they dont know what will happen but can't say it will never move forward again - they kinda want you to wait but know they cant ask you - you kind of know they are scared of losing you (whether its as a friend or more because you WERE best friends before venturing into the unknown) but know they only you can do right now is step back and be their best friend - how do you feel? Do you wait and be there for them as their friend and just hope one day youll be together (cause you already love them)? or do you accept its over and this may be them saying goodbye and just be a friend? This post kinda touched home a bit - lol.

Anonymous said...

I think a true friendship means that you have to put your feelings aside and understand what the person you care about is going thru. Be there for them regardless.

Anonymous said...

FIIIIINALLY. They talked. I've been waiting and waiting for this. Not just them talking but getting everything out. Who knows this could really work, however, they really need to take some time for her to get over Josh totally before venturing in.

Great story!!! :)

Vikki said...

LOL @ Jordy!! GREAT POST!!! I fought it for the longest, but maybe Anna & Jordy would be good together...in time. She does need time to get over Josh though.

Carmel Beauty said...

in answer to what would you do? I would wait as a friend and let things take the course that they will take. No one can say how it will play out, but let the oppurunity for a different partner be in the air while still being open to rekindleing the relationship if the chance aries.

Anonymous said...

What would you do? Well, I think that I would stand aside. If I push to hard on a situation that the other person is not yet comfortable with, I risk the chance of losing them, if I stand aside and wait to let the whole thing play out, I think my chances are better because at least that person is going to be happy, whether they end up with me or someone else. And deep down, if you love someone you do want them happy even if it means that you are miserable. You know the saying "if you love something set it free, if it comes back to you, it is yours, if it doesn't - it never was. I think there is alot of truth in that. I put my loved ones ahead of myself and would risk heartbreak, pain, my life for them. That's what love does.

kmorales4 said...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! (Insert immature lovesick teenage girl cheering here)

I loved that.
When do we get more?

Anonymous said...

love you for posting on Never and Suppose....

new one here ..maybe... please.... with a cherry on top =)

patiently waiting :0)

Anonymous said...

Oh holy hell! It's freaking cold here! They say last night was below minus 50 with the windchill and today it should get to a high of minus 40, with the windchill!!Thank God I don't have to work for the next couple nights...


Now, if my mind and fingers ever thaw out, I'll start with the posts for today!

Angela

Anonymous said...

Regarding what would you do comment.

Humm...well I am sure intially I wouldn't be able to let the person go or wait since we are already in a relationship, but that's because human nature is selfish.

I think though that setting aside my feelings would be best and allow that person to figure themselves out. The truth is if you push and they stay with you one day this thing they have to deal with may resurface or you may lose the person. I would just wait and be their friend and allow them to work out their issues. But part of that is that the other person has to be understanding that maybe for a while you can't be as close as the two of you were because then there maybe a blurring of lines.