Thursday, January 17, 2008

Was It Love?

“Yeah,” I glanced at Josh. “The baby, I was wondering how the baby was - how you were. Are you nauseous? Any weird cravings?” I chuckled softly. “My sister in law had this craving for pickles and peanut butter when she was pregnant with my oldest niece, it was grossest thing I’ve ever seen in my life but she just loved it.” Tracy didn’t say anything so I continued. “Then when she was pregnant with my youngest niece she could stand the smell of pickles at all, she craved strawberries with cheese whiz.” I paused, thought about it. “No, I think that would have been the grossest thing I ever saw in my life! My brother was even disgusted by that one; he couldn’t even be in the same room with her when she ate that.”

I waited, she still didn’t say anything.

“Tracy?” I frowned. “Are you still there?”

“Josh told you about the baby?”

“Yes, he told me about the baby.” I sighed. “He told me about you and the baby and then he broke up with me.”

“He did what?” She sounded surprised but yet there was a little something in her voice that made me think that she was happy that we broke up.
“Although you know what’s funny, he broke up with me yet still acts like we are together - you know, kissing, touching, telling me that he loves me and of course there is the whole jealous jerky thing that he works so well.” I was looking straight at Josh when I said those things. “Of course, it’s very confusing to say the least.”

“I really don’t see how that’s my problem Anna.”

“No, you’re right, it’s not your problem Josh is playing this game with me and it’s not your fault that I let him.” I ran a hand through my hair as I turned away from him once more. “It has nothing to do with you and you still haven’t answered my question.”

“What question was that?” She asked as if she didn’t know.

Rolling my eyes, I repeated the question. “How are you and the baby?”

“I’m doing fine,” was all she said.

“And the baby?” I pushed. “How is the baby? Have you had an ultrasound done yet? Both my sister in laws tell me that there’s nothing like seeing your baby for the first time, they cried each time - so did my brothers, it was so weird to see them cry.” I took a breath, “So? What did you feel when you saw the baby?”

“I didn’t have one yet,” she told me. “Look Anna, I would love to stay and chat but I have stuff to do here.”

“Whoa, whoa, whoa!” I turned around towards Josh again; he was looking at me questioningly. “What do you mean you haven’t had an ultrasound yet?” Josh’s brow shot up in surprise. “You are what? Four months pregnant? You had to have at least one by now.”

“Well I haven’t,” she snapped at me.

“Why the hell not? You been to a doctor right?”

“Of course I’ve been to a doctor!”

“Then how is it possible…There isn’t a baby is there Tracy?” Josh froze when I asked that, he looked upset but there was something else in his eyes - some thing that almost looked like hope.

“Oh aren’t you a piece of work?” She snarled. “Josh breaks up with you and you can’t handle it so you set out to make my life hell.”

“Whatever,” I rolled my eyes. “This has nothing to do with Josh breaking up with me and everything to do with finding out the truth. Josh told me he was drunk that night and that he doesn’t remember much of it. He also told me that you were seeing someone when you ‘found out’ your were pregnant but now you aren’t seeing anyone and you call Josh to tell him the baby is his, claiming you don’t want anything from him? Four months later?” I paused for a second to give what I was saying a chance to sink in to both of them. “Why can’t you tell me how the baby is?” I demanded. “Why haven’t you gone for an ultra sound? Is it because there isn’t a baby?”

“Shut up, shut up, shut up!” Tracy yelled into the phone - Josh jumped a little when he heard her. “You have no idea what you are talking about you little whore. Who cares if your life isn’t working you the way you want?”

“This isn’t about me!” I snapped. “This is about Josh and how badly you seem to be screwing around with his sense of responsibility! You don’t need to know Josh personally to know that he lives and breathes for his son; there is nothing he wouldn’t do for a child of his. You better not be lying to him about the baby because sooner or later Tracy, the truth will come out and Josh isn’t one to let go of anything easily.”

I was done with this, I didn’t even care anymore if there was a baby or not, I just didn’t want Josh to be hurt. Pulling my phone from my ear, I slapped it against his chest. “I may have over stepped boundaries and I may have done more damage than I ever thought possible but Josh, you have to get to the bottom of this because it’s not adding up. Maybe she is pregnant and just not taking care of the baby like she should or maybe…” I shrugged. “Either way it doesn’t matter to me and it’s time I realized that this isn’t my business - we broke up.”

As I walked away from him, I heard his voice as he spoke through clenched teeth as he asked Tracy about the baby. “Is Anna right?” He inquired. “Are you pregnant or are you playing some sick game?”

I pushed my way back into the party crowd and headed straight for the alcohol. Taking a clean glass and the bottle of vodka, I filled the glass up to it’s rim and walked off towards the house. I waited until I was lost in the familiar darkness of my room before I took a mouthful from my glass. I never drank vodka straight like that, it seemed to burn all the way down and I started to choke on it.

Some where in the coughing fit, the tears started to fall. I told myself that nothing mattered, not the baby, not my feelings, nothing. I knew in my heart that nothing would ever change between us, he would never be the man I wanted him to be, the man I thought he was. I knew I was done with Josh. The pain and the heartache weren’t worth it. “Love shouldn’t be that hard,” I cried and reached for the glass again.

24 comments:

Anna said...

Every once in a while we all have those relationships that hit rock bottom and we use alcohol or something else to ease the pain. Personally, I've never used alcohol, my father was an alcoholic and I didn't want to end up like him...but I did do destructive things - once I 'cut' to ease the pain...it didn't help and I stopped when a friend caught me doing it.

What have you guys done to get over the pain of losing someone you thought was 'the one'?

Anonymous said...

Thank God you stopped hurting yourself! I thought it was the other way around though, I thought it was Anna who was hanging all over Josh, kissing, touching, etc. isn't that what she did the minute she saw him arrive at the party? She was the one initiated that one, I think she's the one giving herself mixed messages. She's messed up!
The only thing I did to get over someone was I went back to my ex-alcoholic boyfriend, I wasn't attracted to him, or had any feelings left for him, but he was fun when he was drunk and it was better than being alone and feeling sorry for myself. It didn't last a month, I couldn't stand to be around him when he was sober, and having sex with a drunk gets old real fast.

The Middle Child said...

OMG, you are AMAZING! I worship the screen you write on!

You rock!

The Middle Child said...

And when I want to get over someone, I just put all my focus elsewhere, into my child, my work, anything that will keep me from dwelling on that guy. It works for me, and is not destructive at all.

Vikki said...

WHOA Nelly!! What a post!!

My favorite pain remover is Denial! It doesn't work for all, but mix it with some alcohol, it takes some of the sting out.

Anonymous said...

Wow!! I feel awful for Anna. This has to hurt and hurt bad. Josh is an idiot.

-Karen

Melissa Robinson said...

I hate josh. I dont care what anyone else says, he is a loser and keeps fucking anna around like an idiot, she doesnt deserve that bullshit. whether or not tracy is pregnant doesnt matter.i used to be a cutter. I lost a good friend to cancer and a whole bunch of other stuff happened so i cut. until i cut so deep i needed stitches one night. my now fiance found me bleeding and helped me tell my mom ( i was only 17) and they took me to the hospital. i am better now and just went to get a tattoo last night actually to remember Zack with. here it is!

Anonymous said...

OH
MY
GOD!
that post was FANTASTIC! i bet tracy doesnt even have a baby!...i wonder if jordan heard any of this..or if he'll find her in her room....

Anonymous said...

how can it be Josh's fault if Tracy lied about being preggers?
Maybe she was pregnant and she had a miscarriage.

~Penny~ said...

Wow, this post is amazing because we have all been there. To get over the pain of "the one" was becoming self-destructive by sleeping with every guy that pretty much gave me any attention.

I stopped when I realized that it was not fixing anything just making it worse.

Anonymous said...

when my exboyfriend and i broke up, i couldn't sleep. for the worst three weeks of our break up, i would take xanax and knock myself out for 14 hours.

it really hits home for me, and i'm sure a lot of other people.

Anonymous said...

I truly hope she is done with Josh this time. I know it's gonna take some time to get over but she can't keep doing this to herself thinking it's going to change. No matter if Tracy lied or not she needs to move on!!

Anonymous said...

How funny that you asked that now! This amazing man that I have been seeing just broke up with me tonight. He had every reason too- I pushed him away a couple of times, and now he doesn't trust that I won't leave again. Too bad that he treated me better than anyone has ever treated me and I messed it up. I'll probably hang out with my ex this weekend to distract myself.

DDgirl said...

My ex dumped me no the phone, while I was hopelessly in love with him. Plus, we should have got married a few months later.
I quit everything and moved abroad, in a country where I didn't know anyone and I didn't speak the language.

Carmel Beauty said...

I ignore it burying it hoping one day it will go away. I read, watch movies, anything to distract myself. I even have used recreational drugs. It was almost always 4:21 which just happens to be my birthday also!! :-)

Anonymous said...

My father kicked me out of the house and disowned me. I was horrified and had no idea what I'd done to deserve his punishment (I still don't). Isn't your father supposed to be the one man in a girl's life she can always count on?

I was so stressed and upset, my hair started falling out and I lost about 10 lbs (probably b/c I barely ate or slept). Luckily, I had (and still have) an amazing boyfriend who helped me through it.

Lynn said...

My middle son just found out that his fiance was seeing someone else(an old friend she had known for 11 years, that just recently professed his love). We had just gotten back from a cruise (that my parents paid for everyone to go on including her) on Saturday and on Wednesday she made up a lie about a friend dying and going to the funeral in Indiana. Instead she drove to Georgia to see the other guy. My son figured it out by the lack of mention on her my space page about a supposed good friend dying, and dug a little deeper. My son is devastated, he loved/loves her so much. I just pray his heart heals quick, and that he doesn't get back together with her. Her poor parents are out about $6,000 for the wedding that was supposed to be in May.

KBear said...

i just hope that josh doesnt come looking for her, saying he's sorry, and he loves her and there is no baby, and take me back and she does it.

she has to realize that her and josh arent good for each other and stick to it..please!!! be strong anna!!

Anonymous said...

Ditto KBear! She needs to be strong. I seem to recall her thinking this before that she and Josh weren't right together but then she gives in. You can really care about someone and not work out, and though it hurts its better and stronger to move on and I hope Anna does it.

For me, I'm in the midwest and its going to be FREEZING this weekend so I shall be bundled up and awaiting the next entry.

Anonymous said...

Killing us here! Need to know what happened.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

Please move this party along, it's been taking over a week to get through it.

Dido said...

I don't care that the party is still going on...I just want another post!

Stacey

Anna said...

Trust me, another post is coming...I'm working on it right now..it's going to be interesting...I hope ~l~

Angela

Anonymous said...

Can't wait...

GG