Monday, January 21, 2008

Fly Away

Never in my life would I have imagined that I would be standing in the middle of my room with my hands linked around the neck of the man who has been my best friend my entire life, one movement away from the edge of no return. It was surreal to say the least.

But it couldn’t happen. I couldn’t bring myself to make the move to draw him closer and possibly ruin the relationship we shared. I was trying to figure out a way to tell him what I was thinking but I couldn’t make the words come out of my mouth. So I did the next best thing, I tore my eyes away from his as my hands slipped from around his neck.

His head dropped, hovering just over my shoulder as his shoulders slumped. I felt bad, I could feel the disappointment he felt, I didn’t want him to feel like that. “Jordy…” Closing my eyes, I wrapped my arms around his waist, holding him as I rested my head against his chest.

“Let me guess,” he dropped his hands from me. “Despite our chemistry you love me as a friend and that’s it.”

“That’s not fair,” I looked up at him - he was staring at a spot over my head.

“No, but that’s how you feel.” He glanced at me for a brief second before his eyes went back to that spot. “I should know better but I just keep ho-”

“Are you finished?” I asked after slapping my hand over his mouth; wide eyed, he nodded. “Good because I want you to listen to me, really listen.” I pulled my hand from his mouth and stepped away from him but I held his gaze. “I know you want us to step over that line, to take our relationship to the next phase but Jordan I can’t do that.”

“Why not?” He asked. “Give me one good reason why you don’t want to find out if this attraction between us is the real thing.” He wasn’t as upset as I thought he would be, he sounded disappointed but willing to listen to whatever it was I was going to say - I was grateful for that, I didn’t need him to be pissed.

“Ok, see….the thing is -”

Beep. Beep. Beep.

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” He groaned when I pulled out my cell. “Don’t answer it Anna, this is important.”

“I know,” I glanced at the screen. “But it’s Cassie,” I turned my cell around so he could see the number. “She wouldn’t text unless she needed something.”

Jordan growled, his hands raking through his hair in frustration.

“Jordy,” I reached out, my hand brushing against his shirt at his waist. “We need to talk about this but it’ll have to wait, I have to go see what Cassie wants and check on some things.”

“We’ll talk?”

“Yes,” I nodded. “We really have to talk. And we will, later when we can’t be interrupted. Ok?”

“Yeah,” he smiled at me. “How can I say no to you Babe?”

Jordan walked along side me as we left my room and crossed the family room to the door. After opening the door for me, he told me that he would catch up with me in a little bit, “I’m going to grab something to drink and bug Nick for while.”

I laughed; I knew that could mean anything.

As he walked towards the music, I made my way to the front yard where Cassie was sitting all by herself. “What happened to everyone?”

“Had a couple people that needed rides home,” she told me as she stood up. “I’m so glad you came,” she told me. “I really need to pee!” She took off in a hurry, calling ‘stand watch for me!” over her shoulder as she disappeared.

“What are you watching?” A male voice spoke from behind me.

Turning around, “Mitch!” I exclaimed as I hugged him. “What are you doing here?” I noticed he was still in uniform. “Did we get a noise complaint?” I frowned, Zack always invited our neighbours so that they wouldn’t feel the need to complain, not that we lived that close to anyone.

“No, Zack told me to swing by after work - he told me I could clean up here.” He pointed to the bag by his feet. “How are you doing?” He asked me as his eyes slide over my body and back up to my eyes. “You are looking damn fine, like always.”

“Thanks,” I blushed. “You look pretty intimidating in that uniform.”

“Well if you think that now, just wait until I change, you’ll be impressed by my resemblance to a big old’ teddy bear.” He laughed. “So tell me, how are you doing?”

“I’m doing good; I’m officially on vacation right now, so that’s great. I’m going to the city with the girls in a couple days.”

“Yes, that’s right,” he sat on the edge of the table we set up for Cassie and her friends. “Zack is excited about that, it’s all he talked about the last time I spoke to him.” He smiled, “How is your boyfriend? Is he here? I was hoping to meet him.”

“He’s…umm…well…gone.”

“Oh,” he seemed surprised. “He’s gone already? Doesn’t like to stay out late?”

“No, it’s not that - he does have a little boy - but I meant that…we broke up.”

“Really? When did that happen?” He frowned. “Zack was just talking about you two the other day.”

“Not that long ago,” I gave a sad sigh and a shrug. “I don’t really want to talk about it, if that’s alright.”

“Hurts?”

“Yeah,” I lowered my head, staring at my hands. “I wish things would’ve gone different though, he’s a good guy.”

“You still have feelings for him, I take it.”

I rubbed the back of my neck as I smiled up at Mitch. “Josh isn’t an easy man to get over but…” I shrugged.

“You’ll do it?” I nodded and he smiled. “I’m confident that you’ll work through it. If you want…you…I mean…” he started to fumble with is words.

“If I want, what Mitch?”

“Well…” he spotted my cell which was still in my hand from when Cassie sent me a text. “Can I?” He asked but didn’t wait for my reply. I watched him, a little confused as he took my cell and fiddled around with it. “There,” he said moments later as he handed it back to me.

“That’s better!” Cassie exclaimed as she reappeared at my side. “Hey Mitch!” She smiled and held out her hand, “Keys.” Mitch handed over his keys and gave up his info before heading off towards the house to clean up.

Once Mitch was gone and Cassie was back, I thought I would go find Jordan but when I went to turn to go back to the party, I happened to look towards the house and there, sitting on the steps with Jesse in his arms, was Josh. “That didn’t take long,” he stated when our eyes met.

“What didn’t?” I took a couple steps towards him. Josh shook his head, chuckling he told me that Mitch was feeling me out. “What?” I laughed, “That’s crazy Josh, he wasn’t.”

“No?” He manoeuvred Jesse, who was sound asleep, and held out his hand. “Can I see your phone?” I handed over my phone, he pressed a couple buttons and then handed it back to me. “Did you always have his number in your contacts?”

“What?” I stared down at the screen. “Oh my god! He gave me his number!” I looked back over my shoulder, not that Mitch was anywhere to be seen. “I can’t believe this,” I turned back to Josh, my chuckle dying in my throat. I waited for him to accuse me of something or to just attack me but he surprised me.

“I don’t know why it surprises you honey,” his intense blue eyes locked with mine. “You are a beautiful woman Anna, guys are bound to notice.”

“Thank you,” I smiled at him.

“Your welcome,” he replied.

I didn’t know what to say, so I stood there like a moron, hating that there was this uncomfortable air between us now. “I think I should…” I pointed over my shoulder.

“Ok,” he grabbed hold of the railing and carefully pulled himself up off the steps. “Anna will you ever be able to be around me without being uncomfortable?”

“I don’t know what you mean,” I silently cursed myself for being so transparent.

“Yes you do,” he told me. “Can we be friends?”

Sighing, I shook my head. “The last time we tried that Josh, it didn’t work. I can’t go there with you, I think it would be better if we just stayed away from each other right now.”

His shoulders slumped, “I’m sorry you feel that way Anna. I was hoping that we could be friends, I really don’t want this to be it for us.”

“I’m sorry Josh but I think it would be best if we didn’t have any contact.”

“Ever?”

I slowly shrugged my shoulders, “I don’t know Josh. All I know is that I need to put some distance between us - you occupied a great deal of my time and energy for the past six months and I need to figure out who I am again.”

“Ok,” he shifted Jesse in his arms. “I guess I should be going - get Jesse in bed - and figure out what I’m doing now.”

I flashed him a half smile, “Good night Josh.” I walked away from Josh and this strange thing happened, I felt happy. I felt like me.

I started to run, I didn’t have any idea where exactly I was going, I just started to run. Through the trees and brushes. Just running. Stumbling over roots and rocks while laughing and crying at the same time. I felt free; it was a great feeling.

I ran and ran until I had come out of the trees on the back side of the house. Breathing really hard, my heart thumping in my chest, I fell on to the ground laughing harder than I laughed in six months.

“Are you ok?” I looked up to see Zack staring down at me with a very worried look on his face.


“Yes,” I took the hand he held out to me. “I’m feeling great!” I threw my arms around his neck, kissing his cheek. “I’m ready to be me again!”

He gave me a skeptical look.

"I'm serious Zack."

28 comments:

Anonymous said...

Me likey the new love interest!

Anonymous said...

Wow...!

Fantastic Post! I still like Jordan for Anna... i'll still be interested in reading about the new love interest...

Anna is free! Finally! =)

Anonymous said...

Still Team Josh

Anonymous said...

I am just happy that she didn't do anything with Jordan. Happy days!
It is sad that Josh and Anna really seem to be over:( I think that if they really tried to be friends first and didn't push so fast to be in a relationship again that they would have been able to work things out.
L

Anonymous said...

Team Jordan! Oh and btw you can't just be 'friends' with someone you love......doesn't work.

Anonymous said...

Being "friends" does work. Some times people need a foundation for a relationship to start from and for it to work.

Anonymous said...

I guess Jordan and Anna won't work then if they can't be friends first if she wants to take it slow.

~Penny~ said...

Josh is a mess. I really hope that she is done with him. Who is Mitch? Refresher?

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering the exact same thing...who is Mitch?!?

Anonymous said...

Angela,
Are you going to continue to post on your 'personal blog'? I just found it and I love it! I would love to hear more... that is if you got the time in between writing all three blogs!
Let me know...
Thanks,
J

Anna said...

I just wanted to let you all know that it's quite possible that I won't be posting at all tomorrow. I've been up since 9pm last night and I have to work tonight, without getting any sleep, so I'll probably be crashing tomorrow morning when I get home.

Mitch wasn't introduced before this post. We'll learn more about him later but we do know that he's a cop - he works with Zack.

J - yes, I think I might be continuing on there...when I get a minute ~s~

Take care, I'll see you all later

Angela

Anonymous said...

I remember that feeling of freedom and it's the best feeling in the world after you've gotten out of a relationship...you just know you'll be okay. :)

Great post!

Anonymous said...

I'm sad that Josh and Anna are over, but excited over where this story is headed. I hope that she gives herself some time to really get over him before she jumps back in the dating pool. They had a very intense relationship and even Anna acknowledges that she kind of lost herself in it, so she needs to figure that out again.

Anonymous said...

I am so depressed today!!

Still Team Josh.

Anna can't blame Josh for Tracy being crazy and trying to keep Josh for herself, sometimes desperate women do desperate things to try to get a man.

I guess I'm optimistic, I'm not sure I saw drama here other than the one that came from more Annas side more than Josh, especially the Jordan drama, oh well, maybe they'll find their way back to each other once they have dated other people, just like Josh's grandmother and grand father.

Anonymous said...

Anna isn't blaming Josh for Tracy lying to him about being pregnant, she's just tired of all the drama in his life and honestly, I don't blame her. All they do is fight, and he has issues he just can't seem to get past and it ends up back on Anna. Besides, if she is rolling on the ground laughing, and feeling so good about just being her then the breakup was a good one, it was necessary. She was loosing herself w/Josh. I'm still not sure if Jordan is right for her, he seems childish at times, but I think they should explore it further to see what will develop.

Anonymous said...

I still don't know what to think. I think I am still leaning toward Josh and Anna getting back together at some point. I just feel that it took them so long to get together that it shouldn't have to end with such misunderstanding. I don't think she should get together with Jordan. He is the one person she can count on so why chance that.
~M

kmorales4 said...

I started reading this blog around a month ago and I finally caught up. I must say this to the writer; you totally ROCK! Your story rocks and now I'm hooked.

I noticed that your posts were a bit more regular at the begining of your blog. How often do you post now?

kmorales4 said...

BTW. I love Tanner's blog too. Awesome story.

Mehreen said...

Um, I'm a little skeeved out by Mitch. He looked her up and down when he saw her? Plus, if he works with Zack, they probably shouldn't get involved. Josh was Zack's friend and their friendship will probably be awkward now. It's really frustrating that Anna can never finish a conversation with someone. Still team jordy, always & forever!!

Vikki said...

What's so skeevy about Mitch checking Anna out. Normal guys do it all the time, not as noticable, but they still do it. I'm excited about this Mitch guy. And all you Jordy teamers should be too, cause maybe he can be the rebound guy and then she'll go running to Jordy to proclaim her undying love forever and ever...

But that's just one way it could go :^ )

Vikki said...

Oh, and I'm still team all over the place

Anonymous said...

Ahh, I remember that feeling of freedom after getting out of a relationship that you thought was going to last forever, but when it was over you realize how bad it really was. I danced and danced and sang and told everyone I saw that I was "free" when it happened to me. It felt like a million pounds had been lifted my back.

I hope Anna just takes her time and figures out who she is again. It is so important before going into another relationship, otherwise it will just be a rebound as vikki said.

EJ said...

I'm totally Team New Boy!

Anonymous said...

Josh and Anna just didn't work! She spent all her time with him and none with friends and family. I'm still Team Jordan, but wouldn't mind seeing Mitch giving him a run for his money...

Anonymous said...

I think Wade is going to suprise us. Y'know: boy and girl apparently disklike each other, but end up falling in love because they are so right for one another in the end.

Anonymous said...

OK Angela, time to wake up now and post again!!! Do you really need to sleep????? Just kidding!

Melissa Robinson said...

I am team Not WADE! basically, as long as its not wade and preferably not Josh I dont care as long as anna is happy!

Anna said...

Hey there everyone!

so the post for this blog will not be posted until later. I was working on it but my mom called me and asked me to pretty much hang out with her. It's her birthday today, so it's not like I could say no, even if I wanted too.

I'm sorry for the delay, I know a lot of you were looking forward to today's post. If you read Tanner's blog, there is a new post there...not that it helps for those wanting a new post here but it's something, right?

Well I'll see you all later. Have a great day!

Angela