Wednesday, January 3, 2007

True Lies

When Jordan told me about Josh, I froze. "What?" I shook my head, "No, he can't be. You aren't funny." I pulled my legs up to my chest, wrapping my arms around them.

"I'm serious." Jordan studied me for a moment before continuing. "Ok chicken, what are you not telling me?"

I got off the couch and made my way to the window. "I don't know what you are talking about. I told you everything." I avoided looking at him.

He joined me at the window. "Uh-huh and Santa is my best friend."

"Ho Ho Ho," was my reply.

Sighing, he wrapped his arm around my shoulders and pulled me into a headlock. "Why do you have to make it hard?"

My arm went around his waist, my hand grabbed hold of the back of his boxers, and I tugged upwards. "I did no such thing!"

"Hey!" He released my head and grabbed my hand. "Get outta that! And tell me what's got you really freaked out."

We settled back onto the couch. "Jordy, I hate you."

He laughed.

I took a deep breath....

I met Josh about a month before the party at Mac's bar. I was hanging out with Robbie and his friends; laughing, joking, getting drunk like always. At one point he noticed that his brother had arrived with some friends, he acted like the night was ruined because Josh showed up. At this time I didn't much about Josh, I knew he was older than Robbie by 7 years, that he was a high school gym teacher and coached basketball. Other than that, Robbie really didn't talk much about his brother and I hadn't been to his house.

After coming off the dance floor with some of the girls, Robbie pulled me aside. He had been hiding the corner and complaining to his friends since Josh had showed up. "Wanna meet my brother?"

I shrugged, "Sure, let's go." I started to walk away when he pulled me back against him. "No," He said against my ear. "I don't want to be seen with him." He pointed across the dance floor to a table in the corner. "The guy on the inside right; brown hair, blue eyes, wearing the pullover that says 'Coach', that's him." I shot him a confused look over my shoulder. "Go on, go get him." He said, pushing me in the general direction of his brother.

I didn't really know what Robbie's problem was, why he didn't want to be seen with Josh or why he wanted me to go and introduce myself but I wasn't really in the frame of mind to say no either. I thought Josh was hot so I wasn't gonna argue.

I made my way over to Josh's table, trying to figure out what I was gonna say; I thought that telling him the truth would seem really dumb, I didn't want him to think I was stupid.

He didn't notice me as I walked up. Neither of his friends really paid that much attention to me, they were busy checking out the waitress who was cleaning the spilt beer off their table, she had a butterfly tattoo on the small of her back.

I was standing next to him before anyone saw me, his friend across the table from him gave me this strange look, and I ignored it. "Hey Handsome" I blurted out, feeling instantly stupid.

His beer bottle paused in mid lift to his mouth; he glanced at me then looked around at him friends. No one said anything; they were too busy trying to hear what was being said. He cleared his throat, "Ummm, hello." Then he brought the bottle to his lips and took a sip. And I shamelessly watched until he set the bottle back on the table.

My hand found its way to his arm somehow. "How you doing?"

He looked at my hand, then at me. "I'm married."

I dropped my head, did that half shake and almost curse thing that people do when they realize they f--- up. I glanced over at Robbie, the jerk was laughing! I know he couldn't see it, but I shot him the dirtiest look I ever gave anyone. My hand fell off Josh's arm to his left hand. My finger brushed his ring finger before tapping his ring. I look up at him, my face so red that I'm sure I lit up the bar. I chuckled slightly, "Look at that, so you are." I shook my head, "Guess I'm too late." I felt like such a moron, get outta here! My mind kept screaming.

He smiled and nodded, "Yeah, two years too late."

I laughed, shaking my head again. "Well Handsome, my timing has always sucked. So," I looked around then back at him. "Is she here? Am I gonna get my butt kicked?"

It was his turn to shake his head, "No, I think you are safe. She's out with friends, girl's night out."

I was gonna leave but they had to change the music from dance to country. I love to two step! So I added to the stupid things I've done so far. "Do you dance, Handsome?" He started to say something and I cut him off. "I know you're married. I don't want you for forever, just one dance." The second I said that, I mentally slapped myself. When did I become a lame pick up line carrying guy???

He looked like he was gonna say no, but his friend sitting next to him told him to go for it. When Josh stood up, I realized just how tall he was and how short I was. I always thought 5'5 was tall enough, but with him at 6'2 I felt like a little kid. As I led him to the dance floor, I caught the look of shock on Robbie's face just before it turned into an evil glare. I shook my head, whatever!

I turned to face him; my right hand in his left and my left on his shoulder. I stared straight ahead, right at his chest. Oh lord! I managed to control my inner pervert as he slipped his hand onto the small of my back. I glanced up at him, he smiled. "Ready?" I nodded and he began to lead me around the floor. I realized at that moment that being so close to him, even though there was space between us, wasn't a good idea. My skin tingled where his hands touched me; his scent was making me very aware of the fact that I was female. I wanted to pull him closer, to wrap my arms around his neck and press myself to him, never letting go. I closed my eyes so I wouldn't see him but that wasn't much help, my imagination gave me naughty images to play with.

"So what's your name?" He asked his lips so close to my ear I could feel his breath.

I squeezed my eyes tighter, trying to stop the shiver that went through me. "Where's the fun in that?" I asked, a little breathlessly I thought. "Make up a name, Handsome."

I could feel his chuckle, "Ok..." He thought for a moment. "Beautiful."

The song ended at this point and even though I was sad that it was over, I almost shoved him away. "Thanks for the dance." I mumbled, not looking at him.

He raised his hand to my chin and lifted it upwards until he could look in my eyes. "Anytime." He smiled and walked back towards his table.

When I had the strength to move, I went off in search of Robbie, to kill him. It took a couple minutes; I missed him the first time because I didn't realize the guy tonsil deep in the punk wannabe was him. I found a seat, ordered a drink and plotted ways to harm him.

About an hour later, I was on the dance floor again. I felt a tap on my shoulder as another country song started to play. I turned, my eyes saw only Josh's broad chest. "Hey Handsome." I looked up at him, he was smiling.

"Hey..." He ran his hand through his hair. "...beautiful. Care to dance?"

I tried to be nonchalant, this man is married, I can't get attached I tried to tell myself. I shrugged my shoulders and held out my hand to him.

"Wow, people are more excited to face a firing squad." He remarked.

I nodded, "Must've been that grandmotherly 'hello'." I raised a brow. "Do I look like your grandmother?" He shook his head. "Then no more grandmotherly 'hello's."

He grinned, leaned down, his mouth right next to my ear. In a deep, sexy growl he said, "Hello beautiful."

I groaned involuntarily and he heard me. Realizing this, I slapped his arm. "Now don't you go all deep and sexy for me Handsome."

He didn't say a word, he just pulled me closer. We danced in silence for the rest of the song.

The song had ended up quickly again, he was still holding me as the floor emptied and the next song started. "I'm married," I heard him mumble. "I love my wife." He looked at me, "I do."

I smiled at him, it was nice to know that I wasn't the only one feeling a little outta sorts at the moment. But I knew that nothing could happen. "Of course you do. Having a couple drinks and dancing with another woman doesn't change that." I reluctantly pushed outta his arms again. "You should go, be a good boy." He nodded and walked away. And yes, I watched.

Later I saw him with his arms around a tall, beautiful blonde. He looked so happy I wanted to kick him. I was jealous! I didn't know the guy, and I wanted to do harm to the woman. Robbie reappeared at this point; he wrapped his arm around me. "Wanna meet my sister-in-law?"

I pushed him away, grabbed my stuff and went home.


****

Jordan sat there staring at me, and then he burst out laughing. When he got to the point that tears were coming outta his eyes, I picked up the cushion and beat him with it.

"It's not funny!" I cried.

He pulled me into his arms to stop me from hitting him again. "Yes it is. Robbie set you up! And it backfired on him. It's funny."

"No," I pouted against his chest. "It was embarrassing!"

He took a breath. "Babe, both times you guys were drinking. He probably doesn't even remember."

"He does."

"I'm sure he doesn't." Jordan tried to argue.

I sighed, "Jordy, he called me beautiful tonight."

Jordan stopped laughing, "Oh."

No comments: