Thursday, January 25, 2007

Calm Before The Storm

The front door opened with a bang, I put Conner down and helped him with his boots. “Jordan?” I called out as I made my way through the kitchen. “Jor-” I stopped dead in my tracks when I saw him lying on the couch. “Oh my God what the hell happened to you?”

“Aunt Anna you said a bad word.” Conner came up beside me and peeked in the living room. “Uncle Jordy!” He ran over and jumped onto the couch, on top of Jordan. I saw Jordan wince and bit his lip to stop from cursing.

“Hey buddy.” Jordan managed to say through his clenched teeth as he gave me a look that said to get Conner off now. In no time I was by his side, removing Conner from the couch. “So what happened to you?” I asked as I knelt by the couch, my hand reached out to touch his swollen face. “That’s a nice shiner there Jordy.”

“Don’t,” He said smacking my hand away. He nodded to his foot, which I didn’t notice was wrapped up. “I stepped back from a car, I must have stepped on something because the next thing I knew I was on my back. I hit my head on something too, I don’t remember what but damn it hurt.”

“Did you go to the doctor?” I leaned in over him to check out his face, besides the black eye, there was a big bruise down his cheek and a cut along by his ear, which I noticed was stitched.

He nodded, “They made me go. They tried getting you but you didn’t answer your cell, so they call my parents. Mike came to get me and took me to the hospital, he left not that long ago, went to try and find the crutches that Nick used when he broke his leg a couple years ago.” He glanced at Conner, who was pulling toys out of his backpack in the corner. “Babysitting?”

“Not really.” I explained to Jordan why Conner was here and told him that he was spending the night. “Oh and there’s something else.”

“What?” He asked half watching TV and half listening to me.

“I invited Josh and Jesse over for supper so the boys could play together.” I gave Jordan a big grin and hoped that he wouldn’t say anything.

Jordan shook his head, “Anna I can’t deal with him tonight.”

The smile disappeared from my face, “Well too bad, they are on their way. And I expect you to be nice.” I went to get up but Jordan grabbed my hand. “Let go Jordan, I have to get the groceries.”

“It can wait,” He let go of my arm and pushed himself up into a sitting position. “Ok listen; just keep him away from me.”

“You know, you are going to have to get used to him being around Jordan.” Before he could say anything else, I left the room and went outside to my car.

Josh and Jesse arrived right on time; Jesse quickly gave me a hug then ran off into the living room with Conner. “Everything ok?” Josh asked as he put away their jackets and boots. Nodding, I continued to put away the groceries. “Is Jordan home?”

I turned to him, started to say something but changed my mind so I nodded again. Josh stood there watching me for a moment, and then he sighed, “He’s not happy we are here, is he?”

I shook my head and walked into Josh’s open arms. “I don’t know what to do.” My voice was muffled against his chest. “I want you guys to get along but it’s never going to happen.” I glanced up at him. “He’s home early because he got hurt at work, so he’s already in a bad mood.”

Josh lowered his head and kissed me softly, “I’ll try to stay out of his way.”

I sighed, “I don’t want you to have to do that, I don’t want him to mad whenever you are here. You two can’t avoid each other forever, not if you both want to be in my life.” Josh promised me that he’d try to get along with Jordan. “Now is a good time to start,” I pushed him towards the living room. “I’m going to start supper.” I turned and started pulling various ingredients out of the fridge and cupboards. I glanced over my shoulder and Josh was still standing near the entrance to the living room, he turned to me and smiled. “Would you like some help?” I laughed and accepted his help, telling him I still expected him to try with Jordan today.

Josh had just finished cutting up the vegetables for me when Jordan called out. “Anna, get in here.” Josh raised his brow at me as I headed towards the living room. I almost laughed when I saw the scene in from of me. Conner had gotten up on Jordan’s chest and looked like he was holding him down while Jesse stood in front of the TV with the remote in his hand, backwards, trying to change the channel. “Mutiny?” I asked, chuckling.

Jordan shot me a dirty look, “A little help here?” Once again, I picked Conner off Jordan and set him on the floor. Jesse had run to his dad and was holding out the remote. “Cartoons daddy?”

Josh looked at Jesse then at Jordan, “How did you get this Jess?”

Jess pointed at Jordan, “He was sleeeeping daddy.”

Kneeling down in front of him, Josh held the remote out to Jess. “I think you should give this back and ask if you can watch cartoons.”

Jesse reluctantly took the remote back to Jordan. “I sorry, I bad. We watch cartoons?” He gave Jordan a sad grin. Jordan glanced at me, and then sighed, “Whatever.” Both the boys jumped up and down cheering then sat in front of the TV as Jordan searched for a kid’s channel.

I returned to the kitchen by myself, Josh said that he should stay behind just in case the boys ganged up on Jordan again. A good half hour went by before I realized that I didn’t hear anything from the other room. As quietly as I could, I peeked around the corner and smiled. The TV was still on cartoons and the boys were still watching them, only they weren’t in front of the TV anymore, Jesse was up in Josh’s arms on the couch and Conner was sitting between Josh and Jordan. Every once in a while, Jordan would turn and say something to Josh, and he’d reply. They were actually talking, I couldn’t believe it. I returned to the kitchen and finished putting the lasagna together.

Supper went off without incident, I didn’t know why Jordan and Josh had called a truce, all I knew is that I was extremely happy that they did.

Josh was helping me with the dishes, and I was about to ask him what had happened with him and Jordan when his cell rang. He pulled it out of its case, looked at the number and his face fell. He turned his back to me and answered the phone. “Hello?” His voice was colder than I ever heard. “What do you want?” He snapped. “No, I’m not. Well, I don’t think that’s really any of your business.” He paused, his whole body seemed tense. “Carol, I said, it’s none of your business, just drop it.” He paused again. “Fine! We’ll be there in a few minutes.” He snapped the phone together with a force that made me jump; I couldn’t help but wonder what was none of her business? I found myself wondering again, if he was in fact still married or not.

“Ummm, Josh?” I bit my lip, trying to figure out how to ask. He turned to me, an icy look in his eyes, I flinched and he frowned.

“Sorry about that.” He laid down the dish towel and gave me a quick kiss. “I have to go.” He headed to the living room and told Jess it was time to go, Jesse started to whine saying he wasn’t ready to go but he followed Josh to the porch anyway.

They had their jackets and boots on, Josh had Jesse up in his arms and had one hand on the doorknob. “Josh wait, I wanted to ask you something.” He glanced at me and gave me a small smile. “Honey, can it wait? I really have to go.” Without waiting for me to answer, he kissed me quickly again and walked out the door.

I stood there staring at the closed door, “Don’t break my heart Josh.”

14 comments:

Anna said...

Title says it all...can the storm be weathered though? Guess we'll have to all find out together...later ~g~

Anonymous said...

The boys are sooo cute LOL!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE this blog!! I can't say it enough.

I'm sooo glad Jordan and Josh are being more mature. Kudos to them. Can't wait for the next post!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

This is my first time commenting. I don't remember how I came across this blog, but I'm glad that I did. I LOVE L O V E this blog! Its updated regularly, the entries are long and it has some SUBSTANCE. I come back a few times a day to check on the entries. You are a GREAT writer and I look forward to the rest of the story.

Also, I know how frustrating it is for Anna not to know whether or not the guy she's "dating" is married or not. I just hope she finds out really soon. I'm dying to know for sure, although I don't think he is. I can't see him bringing his son around another woman and kissing her in front of him knowing how little kids run their mouth about EVERYTHING under the sun.

According to the conversation he just had with Carol, she has probably already heard a lil sumthin from Jesse about the mysterious "AMA".

Can't wait to read more!!!! And SOON!!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with la shunda. No way he's still married and bringing his kid around Anna. Hopefully we're right, otherwise I think Anna would be heartbroken. Poor Jordan, I think he already is.

I can't wait to see what's next for them!

Anonymous said...

everyone keeps saying josh is divorced or they're wondering if josh is still with his wife...what about him being separated? that could cause some drama if they're in the process of getting divorced. hmmmm...i hope we find out soon!

Anonymous said...

Love this post. And yes kids do talk about everything. I was still together with my husband when he took our kids around his new woman and guess what they told me everything. Keep up the great writing Anna.

Anonymous said...

I just started reading this blog yesterday and haven't been able to stop!! I love it. I can't help but feel sorry for Jordan.
Hope to see another post tomorrow !

viv

ps anna you always leave us wanting more !

Anonymous said...

this blog rocks. its just so much better than all the other popular, frequently read blogs out there rite now. i love that youre quick to post, and i love how relatable the characters are. but please, for the sake of my sanity, let jordan and anna get together!! LoL :)

Anonymous said...

Anybody else think that maybe Josh beat Jordan up? He seems to pop up where-ever Anna is. Maybe he's a little stalkerish!

Anonymous said...

anon @ 2:12, I was thinking the same thing, but I think he would've told Anna from the beginning and I don't think he would've been as cordial to speak with Josh had that been the case. I can't wait for more though!

Anonymous said...

hmmm, storm huh? I do feel bad for Jordan now. At first I didn't but he seems to really lover her. Can't wait to see what happens next!!

Anonymous said...

Anon 212; that is exactly what i thought. I am loving Jordan more and more. i think she needs to settle with him. i have been off for a while, so i had to back read, so what is up with Josh saying that he loves her? i dont get it, they havent been together to long. but Jordan seems so sincere and genuine. I am happy josh and jordan were being mature for dinner. Cant wait to read more. i am here working again tomorrow... *hint hint* :)

Anonymous said...

I don't think Jordan and Anna would be good together. If she was really that attracted to him then she would have gone for it. I mean she just had some hot sex with Josh without knowing whether or not he's still married when that does matter to her. So I think if she really wanted to be with Jordan than she would, but she's way more into Josh and she seems too grown up for Jordan.

Anonymous said...

I don't think Jordan and Anna would be good together. If she was really that attracted to him then she would have gone for it. I mean she just had some hot sex with Josh without knowing whether or not he's still married when that does matter to her. So I think if she really wanted to be with Jordan than she would, but she's way more into Josh and she seems too grown up for Jordan.