Saturday, January 13, 2007

In good health and good time

Finally the end of my work day came at last. It always seems to get busy right before we close, so I didn’t get out of there on time like had hoped. I ran home, quickly showered and changed then ran out the door again.

Zach and Mary live on acreage outside town; it takes 10 minutes to get there from where I lived. I love it out there, you don’t have to worry about neighbors making too much noise or getting into your business but being alone there really sucks; especially if you have an imagination like I do.

I pull into the driveway and parked next to the garage, leaving the driveway open for everyone who normally stops by later. I saw movement out of the corner of my eye as I walked up the front steps, I turned to see my 4 year old nephew Conner peeking through the blinds trying to see who’s coming. I hear him call out to his dad that I was there then I heard running footsteps and the door swung open before I could reach it.

“Aunt Anna!” Conner launched himself off the floor, straight at me. “We waited and waited, you’re late!”

“I’m so sorry, will you ever forgive me?” I asked as I leaned back against the door, closing it.

He squinted as he looked at me, it was his thinking face. “Ok, just don’t let it happen again.”

I couldn’t help but laugh, “Yes Chad.”

Conner frowned, “I’m Conner, silly.”

“Really?” I acted surprised. “Wow, cause you totally sounded like your daddy.”

“Funny.” Chad had come up the basement steps as we were talking, he held out his arms and Conner slid out of my arms. “Good to see you sis.” He leaned down to kiss my cheek. “The girls are in the kitchen.” He said then headed back downstairs.

I smiled, nothing ever changes and I like that. Every year Chad and Susan and their two kids – Krystal and Conner - come down and spend New Years with us. I found Mary and Susan in the kitchen like Chad had said; they were putting the finishing touched on dinner.

“Anna.” Susan came around the counter and hugged me. When she released me, she noticed what I was wearing, her eyebrow jumped in an arc. “Trying to impress someone?” She paused, looking around. “Where IS Jordan anyway?”

I was wearing an outfit that I had recently purchased from an online store, I love to shop online. I don’t know much about fashion, in fact you could say I don’t have a fashion sense at all but I know what I like and that’s all that matters to me. The pants I was wearing were hip hugging, boot cut, brick colored corduroy, they were supposed to give the illusion of a longer, leggier me according to the ad on the webpage; and my shirt was a black square neck tee with long sleeves. I shook my head, a little confused at her last question. “No, no one special. And Jordy isn’t coming for dinner but he might stop by later.” I told them about Mike being in town and I could see that they wanted to talk about it but there was no time for they had 7 very hungry people sitting out at the table waiting for the food to be brought out. We sat down as a family, the only time the whole year that we were able to do that, I looked around at my brothers and their families and I felt pure happiness and sadness all at the same time. It’s times like this, I miss my parents but I am extremely grateful that I had my brothers around.

After dinner was finished and the kitchen was cleaned up, Cassie and Lindsay took the other kids downstairs and put in a movie for them to watch; tonight they were babysitting their sister and cousins. Mary and Susan started to put out the snacks and other party food that they had prepared earlier. Chad and Zach were responsible for setting up the drink table. It was my job to pick the music for tonight, so I was at the stereo setting it up. “Hey Anna, nothing screaming, ok?” I looked up from the CDs I was going through to where Zach was standing; I gave him an evil smile and turned back to the stereo.

Twenty minutes later the first of the many people who would be in and out of Zach’s house showed up. Most of the people who came were friends of Mary and Zach or they worked with them. Chad didn’t know that many people in town anymore since he hadn’t lived here for at least 10 years but there was still the odd high school buddy of his that dropped by.

At one point, Cassie came up from downstairs and pulled me into the kitchen. She wanted me to talk to Zach about letting her boyfriend come over. At 16 years old, Cassie is a normal teenager; she thinks that her parents are out to ruin her life. Zach had told Cassie already that she was babysitting so she couldn’t have friends over, Cassie didn’t see the big deal because everyone was at the house, and Lindsay was babysitting too so it wasn’t like they’d be alone at any time. I could kind of see where they were both coming from but honestly? I sided more with Cassie on this one. I told her I didn’t want to get involved, for her to talk to her dad, she stomped her foot and stormed back downstairs.

I returned to the living room, intent on getting another CD ready to play when I noticed the front door bang open. In the mist of the blowing snow, Josh entered my brother’s house and he didn’t look too happy. I made my way over to the stereo, the whole time I kept my eye on his progress into the room. He nodded to a few people that he knew but he didn’t stop long enough to chat, he was making a beeline straight for my brother. I have to admit, that when I first saw him I thought that maybe he was here for me, that he found out where I was and just had to come over and see me. I scolded myself for my silliness as I watched Zach lead him off into the kitchen.

“Anna?” Cassie had returned to my side when I was preoccupied drooling over Josh. I tilted my head in her direction and gave her a questioning look. “Could you please talk to him?”

My mind still on Josh, I stood up straight and kind of panicked a little, thinking she knew. “Talk to him? Why would I talk to him?”

“Because you’re my aunt and you love me.” She grinned this goofy looking grin and batted her eyelashes at me. “Come on Anna, you know what dad’s like, he won’t listen to me.”

“You think he’ll listen to me?” I laughed, “Honey, your dad didn’t even want to hear me talk about boys. He tried to ban Jordan and Nicky from coming over when I was 16!”

“Please?” She pouted. “Pretty please Aunt Anna?” Even though I knew that I shouldn’t, I agreed to try and talk to Zach. “Right now?” She looked hopeful. I glanced at the kitchen door and said yes. She squealed in delight and pushed me towards the kitchen.

“…she’s driving me crazy Zach. I don’t have a moment alone, she’s constantly on my case about every little thing in my life, and it’s crazy. You’d think that -” Josh stopped dead in his rant when he saw me at the door. I tried to back out of the room but found myself frozen in place as his eyes slid appreciatively over my body, he actually smiled when his eyes met mine and that smile made my knees weak.

Zach turned in his chair to see what Josh was staring at. “Hey sis,” he held out his hand to me, motioning me closer. When I joined them he slipped his arm around my waist and turned to Josh. “Have you met my sister?” He asked, although the grin on his face told me that he knew we knew each other. He didn’t bother waiting for an answer, he suggested that Josh get a drink and relax. “You’ll show him where.” He told me and made his way back to the party.

Josh smiled but didn’t say a word; he just remained seated and looked at me. “Ok, stop that.” He said finally as his hands came to my arms holding me still so I couldn’t shift from one foot to another like I was doing. “You’re making me nervous.”

“Me? Make you nervous?” I shook my head, “I doubt that.”

“Anna, get out here.” Zach’s voice came loud and clear from the living room. Josh gave me a questioning look, I shrugged and we both headed for the door. I told Josh where to find a drink and went over to Zach. Cassie shot me a ‘thanks a lot’ look as I was walking over to them and I silently cursed myself. Apparently when Zach came out of the kitchen, Cassie assumed that I talked to him and she went up and asked what was said and if Ben could come over. Zach didn’t appreciate me telling Cassie that I’d talk to him when it wasn’t any of my business. He told Cassie that under no circumstances would Ben be at the house that night. Cassie was crying as she turned and ran down the stairs but not before giving me a dirty look.

“Zach, I’m sorry. I told her I didn’t want to get involved and she should talk to you but she insisted. I know why it’s important to her to have Ben here and I know that she wouldn’t let him distract her…” My voice trailed off as Zach crossed his arms over his chest. “I’m sorry.” He nodded.

“Zach?” Mary came up to Zach and spoke to him in a hushed voice; they both went off down stairs. I smiled and had a feeling that Ben would be making an appearance at this house tonight.

Suddenly hands came around my waist; I was spun around, dipped and kissed soundly on the lips.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am getting really spoiled with the frequency of these posts!! It's great!

Anonymous said...

So who's the kisser? Josh? Or.... Jordan perhaps. I can't wait for the next post to see what happens! Keep them coming please!

Anonymous said...

Yeah I think it's going to be some other guy that she knows and hasn't told us about.

Anonymous said...

i think it's jordan! he seems to be quite comfortable with anna.. so you never know. and he did say that he was going to stop by later. i love how much you post! =) it makes me happy. everynight i get online and read another thrilling entry to the story.

Anonymous said...

You are awesome. i am now addicted to this blog. i love the frequency also. You have to let us know who the kisser is. i want it to be Jordan!! They seem so happy together already... :) But i like Josh to, to bad he is married... or did they get a divorce... no word on if he is STILL married or not. :) Evil... i know. :)

Anna said...

Spoiling you guys eh? Hmmm, never hurts to be spoiled every once in a while I say ~l~

I'm glad that you are reading and enjoying...and posting comments, I love comments they make me want to write more ~g~

The kisser is....


and Josh is....

wait, do you actually think I'll tell you here? ~evil laugh~ Sorry, I couldn't help myself...stay tuned, all will be revealed in due time ~s~

Anonymous said...

O gosh "Due time" seems to be a long time!!! Cant wait... lov the blog keep it up !!
Paola