Tuesday, January 9, 2007

Testing the Limits of Friendship

Work kept me pretty busy between Christmas and New Years; then again, a big Boxing Week Sale would keep anyone out of trouble.

Since Nick and Amy had told us about having a baby, that’s all either of them ever talk about. Amy has been dropping hints to everyone about the stuff that she wants for the baby. Now I don’t know about everyone else, but my memory is pretty bad sometimes, and since most of what she wanted was available at Wal-Mart, I suggested that she start a baby registry there. It was the day before New Years Eve, and I had told Amy to come in on my lunch break and I would help her out.

Although Amy and I are friends and have known each other since we were 10, I really didn’t know her that well. Sometimes I think that if I didn’t know Nicky, Amy wouldn’t give me the time of day. We were getting along fine, sailing through setting up the registry until it came time for her to choose a car seat. We were standing there in front of the display for about 10 minutes and she hadn’t said a word. I tried to give her some suggestions but she obviously wasn’t paying attention to me. I called her name a couple times but she didn’t answer, finally I pulled her away from the display and asked what was wrong.

She turned towards me but didn’t look at me. “I can’t do this.”

“Oh,” I shrugged. “Well you and Nick can finish it another day if you like.”

At the mention of Nicky she looked up at me, her eyes were red and brimming with tears. “I’m scared Anna.”

“Well, I hear it’s natural to be scared but you’re going to be a great mom.” I tried to reassure her, little did I know that I was about to have the most insane conversation I ever had in my life.

She shook her head. “I’m not scared about being a mom. I’m scared I’ll lose Nicky.”

I wasn’t expecting that. “What? Nicky loves you Amy, he always has.”

She sighed, “Yeah, for now. But what about when I’m the size of a boat? You know Nicky has an issue about large people ever since that one kid almost drowned him in the pool.” She looked at the customers walking by. “I’m going to get fat Anna. Really fat if you go by what my mom and sister were like when they were pregnant. What if Nicky doesn’t want to be around me?”

I led Amy into the staffroom in the back, knowing that this wasn’t a conversation that I wanted to have with customers interrupting. Amy sat down and I got her some water and tissues. “First off Amy, you aren’t getting fat, you’re pregnant. Weight gain, during this time is very important. Secondly, Nicky knows this and he doesn’t seem worried to me. He’s very excited about the baby, about being a dad. You and the baby are all he ever talks about. And trust me on that one.” I smiled.

I guess she didn’t feel reassured. “What if he doesn’t want to touch me?” She grabbed my arm. “Anna you know how much he enjoys sex.” I rolled my eyes, being friends with guys, great. Until they start to tell you the details of their sex lives. “If he won’t sleep with me he’ll look elsewhere I just know it. I can’t stand the thoughts of him with some random chick Anna.”

“Come on Amy! Seriously! Nicky has been in love with you since he was 12. Do you really think he’s going to cheat on you now? No, he’s not.” I grabbed hold of her shoulders. “Amy you are going to drive yourself crazy over nothing. You need to talk to him.”

She shook her head and turned away. “I can’t.” She sat there playing with an empty milk container. I didn’t know what else to say, and I didn’t think leaving her there would be a good thing to do, so I sat and waited for her to do something. Finally she looked up at me. She looked so calm and cool; I thought that I had finally gotten through to her. “Anna, I need you to do me a favor.”

“Sure, anything.” I agreed quickly.

“If Nicky does lose interest in my, I need you to…”

I jumped in before she could finish. “Kick his ass? Slap him silly? It would be my pleasure.” I grinned.

She laughed but shook her head. “No, I need you to be the one he turns to.”

I sat there thinking; no she didn’t just say that. Hoping that I needed my ear checked. “Ummm, what?”

She smiled. I couldn’t believe she had the nerve to smile. “I need you to promise me if he’s going to stray, you’ll be as far as he goes.”

I laughed what else could I do? This situation was so insane. I jumped from my chair, sending it flying backwards. “Are you out of your freaking mind?” I screamed.

Now she looked at me like I was overreacting. “No, I thought about this a lot. Everyone knows you turn to your friends when you are having problems. You are Nicky’s best friend, so it’s only logical to think that he would turn to you. I want you to…” Her voice cracked as tears reappeared in her eyes and rolled down her cheeks. “…be there for him, in whatever way he needs you.” I shook my head. “Anna, you have to!”

“Have to?” I stared at her and then chuckled. “I don’t know what copy of the Friendship Rulebook you are reading but in mine there’s nothing about having to sleep with your best friend because his crazy pregnant wife is begging you to keep him from potentially straying!”

She started to sob hysterically, mumbling something about losing Nicky, being a single mom and how difficult it must be to grow up without a dad. “You wouldn’t wish that on my baby, would you?”

Never in my life did I ever think that someone who’s normally sweet would take the one thing that hurt the most in my life and use it against me. But that’s what she did. She played on my childhood pain and I, like a fool, fell for it hook, line and sinker. I took a deep breath and agreed to do it. “But I know I won’t have too.” I insisted when she hugged me.

When I got off work that night, I looked forward to a nice relaxing evening at home. I went home to find Nicky’s car in the driveway, I wasn’t ready to deal with Amy again. To my surprise I only found Nicky and Jordan in the living room. I watched them play some game on the Playstation for a while. I was debating whether I should tell Nick that Amy has lost it.

I picked up a pillow from the nearby loveseat and whacked Nicky with it, surprising the hell out of him. “What the hell was that for?”

I hit him again. “That was for unleashing your totally insane wife on me today!” I told them about the conversation leaving out the whole ‘me sleeping with him’ part. Nicky grinned, “Sorry, although that explains her strange behavior lately.”

“Strange?” I hit him again. “You don’t know strange! She’s f***ing crazy!”

“Hey! I resent that. I’m not crazy.” Nicky joked.

I snapped. I started to pummel him with the pillow. “She thinks you’ll cheat on her and wants me to be the one you cheat with.” I hit him harder with every word. Jordan finally came to his brother’s rescue, pulling me away. Nicky stared at me in disbelief. “You? She thinks I’d sleep with you?” He laughed.

I struggled to free myself from Jordan’s grasp but failed. “What the hell is wrong with me?” I demanded.

Nicky shrugged, “Anna babe, you know I love you but you just don’t do it for me. Amy’s my world; I don’t want anyone but her.” He grabbed his jacket, slipped it on. “I think it’s time I went home and made that point to her.” He winked as he walked towards the door.

Jordan released me and sat back down. When I plopped down next to him, he turned his head and looked at me. “So what if I don’t feel attracted to Amy?”

I smacked him, “Jerk.” We both laughed. He handed me Nicky’s controller and resumed the game.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really hoping he's divorced. If not, this is going to be really disappointing!

Anonymous said...

He's either divorced or going to be shortly. He didn't sound pleased at all......with the (ex?)wife. Otherwise, great job Anna, keep up the good writing. I enjoy the frequency and length of them as well.
Take care

Anonymous said...

simply loving it!!!!!
Paola

Anonymous said...

Great post.

Check out www.theshut-in.com.

Anonymous said...

This is super good! I can't wait for more. Bets that Jordan likes Anna though. That could complicate things!

Anonymous said...

als;dkjfl;kajsdf! i love it. i'm wondering though, is all of this over just a few days? because i know the date is showing different days but it just seems like it's been over the few days before christmas, christmas, and just maybe two or three days after. i'm not complaining, detail is definately appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Please pleasa pretty please post more frequently!!!!1

Anna said...

Thank you all for your encouraging comments, I do appreciate them.

And yes, so far I haven't even gotten into the New Year...damn me and my long winded posts! ~s~ Kidding. I have a bad habit of rambling.

There's lots more to come...