Saturday, January 27, 2007

...And The Lightening Strikes

A million thoughts ran through my mind as I stood there in front of Carol. What is she doing here? Does she know? And how will it feel to die? Part of me was also wondering if Josh was with her. I know, stupid but I couldn’t help it. I tried not to react to seeing her, acted like she was just any other customer, until I knew what she wanted, why freak? Right?

I gave her my best ‘customer’ smile. “Hi, can I help you?”

“Don’t get there and pretend that you don’t know who I am you little tramp.” She hissed as she grabbed my arm.

I didn’t expect her to touch me; I gasped and shot her a look of disbelief. “I’m sorry?”

“Don’t play dumb, we both know what I’m talking about.” Her nails dug into my arm. “Do you honestly think I’m going to stand by and let you run around with Josh behind my back?”

I didn’t say anything, I knew that no matter what I said, it wouldn’t make things better and I still had to work there after she left.

She released my arm and scoffed. “I can’t believe Josh would lower himself to sleeping with a common whore like you.” I went to say something and she cut me off, “That’s right whore I know all about you and Josh; it is amazing how much kids will tell for a cookie. Jesse told me all about ‘daddy’s dirty little secret’.” She raised her eyebrow at me and waited. When I didn’t say anything she got more enraged, she grabbed the front of my smock in her fists and yanked me close to her. “Listen here whore, it stops now! Stay away from Josh and maybe I won’t take Jesse away from him. We both know how important his son is to him, Jesse is Josh’s life, and you wouldn’t to take away his life, now would you?” She pushed me backwards and I fell against one of the clothing free standing racks, it tipped and fell over, I landed on top of it.

Upon hearing the commotion, Barb, the duty manager came running over. “Oh my god! Anna are you ok?” She knelt beside me. Tears were rolling down my cheeks as I turned onto my side and rolled off the rack, it hurt like hell. Slowly I got to my knees and with Barb’s help I was able to stand. “Are you ok?” She repeated.

With all the strength I had, I stood tall, staring directly at Carol who now had a frightened look on her face. I tried hard not to winch with every breath I took, “I’m fine.” I said through clenched teeth.

Barb frowned, “What happened here?” She glanced at Carol and then back at me. “Well?”

I waited to see if Carol would own up to what she did, or if she’d lie. I didn’t have to wait long. “She was leaning up putting something away and I accidentally knocked into her.” She gave Barb a weak smile and muttered “I’m sorry.”

“Ok.” I could tell Barb wasn’t buying it. “Next time use a little more caution.” She didn’t direct that at anyone in particular but I knew she was talking to me. “Anna, come back to the first aid room, we’ll see if there was any damage.”

Carol smiled at Barb as she went towards the back, and then turned her icy glare back on me. “Look’s like Josh won’t be out whoring for a few days.”

“If you’ll excuse me, I have to get checked out.” I turned to leave.

“Don’t you dare walk away from me!” When she reached out to grab my arm to stop me, her jacket came open, I stared at her belly, her very pregnant belly. She grinned and placed a hand on her tummy. “Oh you didn’t know? I’m seven months pregnant, and it’s a boy. We are thinking about calling him Travis.”

“Congratulations.” I muttered, dying a thousand deaths as my worst fear was confirmed; Josh was still very much married and about to become a father again.

She rubbed her belly, “Now if you’ll excuse me, I have to get home to my husband and my son.” Turning, she walked away with a satisfied grin on her face. With every step she took the level of guilt and shame I felt doubled until it was so unbearable, I tried to stop the dizziness and the nausea but I couldn’t.

“Anna, I’m waiting.” Barb called from the swinging doors to the back, her voice just barely registering in my ear. “Anna?” She stepped towards me, a concerned look on her face.

I shook my head and with my hand pressed against my mouth I ran for the bathroom. Blowing through the main door, I barely made it to the stall. Falling to my knees in front of the toilet, between the tears of guilt and the stabbing pain in my back, I threw up.

When all that was left in me was dry heaves, Barb came over with a cold cloth and held it against my forehead as I continued to sob uncontrollably. She helped me up from the floor and walked me to the sink, I avoided looking in the mirror because I knew that I looked worst than I ever had before in my life for I felt worst than I ever had. After I washed my face, Barb led me to the first aid room and got me to lie down on the bed. “Is there someone you’d like me to call to come get you? Your brother perhaps?”

“No!” I grabbed her arm, “Don’t call my brother. Call Jordan he’s at home.” I told her the number and she left the room to go call him, closing the door behind her. I couldn’t face my brother; I knew that he would want to know what happened, how do you tell your brother than you slept with his married best friend?

Barb had peeked her head back in to tell me that Jordan was coming for me, and she asked if I needed anything. I shook my head and she left.

I was almost asleep when the door opened again, “Jordan, I -” The words died on my lips as the person who came in my line of vision wasn’t Jordan. “Mike?” I looked past him, searching for Jordan.

“Jordan’s at home with Eric, not that he wants to be. But I didn’t think he was in any shape to come and get you.” Mike sat on the bed next to me; his eyes scanned my body then came to rest on my face. “So are you ok? They wouldn’t tell Jordan anything other than you fell and you weren’t feeling good.”

Tears came to my eyes again, “I just want to go home.” I whispered. Mike nodded and went off to find Barb and to get my stuff from the staffroom. He returned 10 minutes later with Barb in tow.

“Now Anna, make sure you get this paperwork filled out when you see the doctor.” She glanced up at Mike, “You’ll make sure she sees a doctor?” Mike nodded. “Good.” Barb handed him the papers and she left again.

“You know, I feel like I already did this once this week.” He joked as he was helping me to my feet. “Could you and Jordy be any more alike?”

After we left work, he took me to the hospital. The doctor that looked me over told me that there wasn’t any serious damage, just a lot of bruising. He told me that I was going to me very sore for a couple days and then he wrote a note for me to take the next week off work.

Almost two hours after my run in with Carol, I finally walked up the front steps of the house. Jordan was waiting for me, he yanked the door open just as I was about to reach for the handle. “Babe! Are you ok? I was worried, why didn’t you call me?” He glared at Mike, who just pushed his way into the house.

“Jordan, I was at the hospital with her, and she’s fine. She’s just going to be sore for a while and off work for a couple days too.”

Jordan frowned, “What happened? They said you fell? Was it from a ladder? I’ve told you to be careful…” I stared at him, I could see his mouth moving but I stopped listening. Finally I had enough.

“I was pushed!” I yelled at him.

Mike and Jordan glanced at each other and then back at me. “What?” They asked in unison.

Tears began to roll down my cheeks again, “I was pushed.”
Jordan stared at me in disbelief. “By who? Why would they push you?”

“Carol.” I whispered my bottom lip was trembling. “He’s still married. She’s seven months pregnant.” I sank to the floor and drew my knees up to my chest despite the pain shooting through my back. “And I’m a whore.”

Jordan dropped to his knees beside me, wrapped his arms around me and drew me near. “No, you’re not.” He whispered, rubbing my back gently. “No, you’re not babe.”

13 comments:

Anna said...

"...another love grows cold..."

I think that song is very suitable for these last couple posts...music can often say what you can't say yourself. ~g~

Happy reading!

RowStang said...

WOW. But I can't help but wait for the twist...I mean, is he REALLY dumb enough to take his son with him to his mistress' place while he's still married? Are men TRULY that stupid???

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh
i feel so bad for anna.

Anonymous said...

Wow, can't wait to see what happens next Anna!!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! I knew that Carol would be like that but I didn't think she'd be such bitch to resort to physical violence!!! Of course the baby isn't Joshes, it has to be someone elses and she's playing Anna to get back with him. I bet Josh left her bc she was cheating on him!!! DRAMA!!!!! I love it! I can't wait to read tomorrows!

Anonymous said...

oh for sure it's someone elses that's why josh wasn't with her why would he be so cold to her if they were still married and tell her it's none of her business if she's seven months pregnant with his kid....he certainly wouldn't take jessie to her house....I LOVE THIS BLOG!! Carol's a bitch!

Anonymous said...

Could Jordan be any sweeter?! Now I am totally on his side. Anna should forget about Josh and all his drama and get together with Jordan. I mean, even if Carol isn't pregnant with Josh's baby, it doesn't make it ok for him to not have told Anna about it. I can't wait for the next one!

Anonymous said...

wow. i'm totally with K on this one. that was totally wrong of josh. i'm glad that anna didn't do anything to carol because she is pregnant and that would have looked horrible in court, especially since carol is such an evil whore that she would resort to that. you do have to look at it from carols point of view though [say she WASN'T cheating.. if that's the case.] she's happily married to the world's most gorgeous guy and they have a beautiful son and all of a sudden.. he's with some chick that works at walmart? so i don't know. i feel bad for carol, but suck it up.. if he doesn't want you, he doesn't want you. i'm TOTALLY rooting for jordan now. GO JORDAN! WOO!

Anonymous said...

I feel bad for Anna in a way, but honestly...she never really asked Josh if he wasn't with Carol and she was sleeping with a married man. Maybe she didn't deserve to be treated the way Carol handled it, but she deserved to be shown how she was hurting someone else in the process of this affair.
Love the Blog.

RowStang said...

another thing I've been curious about this whole time-- how has Anna's brother not noticed what's going on with her and Josh? I would assume he has and if he really were still happily married (or just plain married) to Carol then wouldn't he have said something to Anna? Just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Ok just a thought...maybe Josh and Carol are separated. Josh knows that the relationship is irrepareable, but Carol is determined to stay together. She's threatening Anna now so that Anna won't be competition. As for the pregnancy...I have no idea??

Anonymous said...

You took the words right out of my head ambre!! I think Carol is trying to start trouble because she either wants Josh back, or wants him miserable because he doesn't want her anymore. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE NeXT ENTRY!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

wow.. GO JORDAN!!! After all that, he is still willing to be at her side and comfort her? PERFECT GUY there. but, we still dont have the answer to if josh is married or not. i dont think he would have spent so many nights at Annas if they were together. just my opinion. i think you guys are right, Carol is just pissed becuase Josh doesnt want her and he does want Anna. She cheated on him and feels bad that he left her. becuase no respectable man, and he seems like one, would be out with another chick when his wife is home pregnant. ok, well, my man wouldnt. :) But Yea, GO JORDAN!! I love him more and more every day!!