Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Taking It Easy

It’s needless to say that I was floating on cloud nine all while I was at work. Normally, I wouldn’t sleep with a guy that I just started to get to know but there is something about Josh that makes me feel so comfortable, I feel like I’ve known him forever. During my shift, I kept remembering what had happened earlier and I’d blush something fierce just thinking about it. I didn’t know how I would ever be able to look at Josh again, without wanting to jump his bones.

The only thing that made my day a little sucky was Jordan’s attitude with me. How am I going to live with him, if he keeps getting mad at me for wanting Josh? How can I be a friend to someone who is making my life difficult right now? I can’t just stop being his friend, he’s too important to me for that. And the main thing I wondered is why the hell did he wait until now to tell me he thought he loved me? He’s known me forever! Why couldn’t he have been in love with me back in high school when I wanted to date him?

I was sitting in the lunchroom, asking myself those questions when my cell phone rang. “Hello?” I answered it on the second ring, hoping it was Josh but it was the other man in my life, one who doesn’t make me want to scream.

“Hi Aunt Anna, what are you doing?” Conner’s call was a welcomed interruption of my thoughts.

“I’m taking a break from work. What are you doing?” I took a sip if my juice as I waited for him to reply, one of the girls had come up to him and was telling him he wasn’t supposed to be on the phone. When he finally came back on the line he told me that he wanted to come over to my house and play. I ended up talking to Chad and offered to take Conner after I got off work and let him spend the night with me, before he had to leave tomorrow. My brother was hesitant but in the end he agreed. When I asked Conner if he wanted to spend the night at my house, he got really happy and asked if I was coming to get him right now. God, don’t you love how easy it is to make a kid happy? I do.

After I got off work at 2, I went directly to my brother’s house. When I walked in the front door Conner was sitting in the hallway with his backpack and his jacket, his shoes were already on his feet. He jumped up and ran to me when I closed the door, dragging his bad behind him. “We go now Aunt Anna.” He struggled to get his hand into his jacket; I knelt down and straightened it out for him. A shadow fell over us, I glanced up and saw his dad standing there, laughing. “Not even going to say bye to your mom and me?”

Conner looked up at Chad and grinned. He ran over to him and hugged his legs, “Bye Daddy.” He looked in the living room, the called out “Mommy, I going with Aunt Anna, bye!” He turned on his heel and ran back to me. “Ok I’m ready.” He held his arms up to me and waited for me to pick him up but Chad scooped him up first.

Chad rested his forehead against Conner’s. “Be good for Aunt Anna, do whatever she tells you too. I don’t want to have to come get you because you were bad. Understand?” Conner nodded. “Good now,” Chad looked over his shoulder as Susan came up behind him, turning to her, he held Conner out and Susan took him in her arms, hugging him tight and whispered something in his ear. She handed him back to Chad, who had gotten on his boots and Jacket. “Ok, let’s roll.” He picked up Conner’s bag and followed me out to my car giving me last minute instructions, like I never watched a child before.

As we were driving into town, I told Conner that I had to stop at the store to pick up some groceries and that I would be making lasagna for supper, then asked if he wanted to help. He seemed really excited about my plans, he told me that he didn’t get to go with his mom when she went shopping, “I have to stay with Daddy.” He asked me if we’d play trucks and I told him we would.

At the grocery store, I got a cart and he wanted to get in. I told him he was too big for the child seat and he pouted saying he didn’t want to walk, so I picked him up and put him in the basket. He sat down and played with the truck that I let him bring in.

I was picking through the peppers when arms came around my waist, “Hey Beautiful.” I turned my head, smiling as I went to say ‘hello’ but Josh’s lips captured mine for a brief toe-curling kiss instead. Pulling back from him, I heard snickering, I looked around and there sat Jesse, his gloved hands over his mouth as he laughed.

“Ama!” His face lit up and he threw his arms out to me.

I leaned down to give him a hug. “Hey Jesse it’s good to see you. And you.” I said, looking Josh over as I straightened up.

I felt a tug on my sleeve. “Ama, who that?” Jesse pointed at Conner. I introduced Conner to Jesse; they looked at each other, almost like they were sizing the other up. Oh lord, I thought, what is it with guys lately?

Conner glanced up at me, “Aunt Anna can Jesse come over and play?”

“Can I daddy?” Jesse begged.

I glanced at Josh; he ran a hand through his hair. “Jess I don’t know.” He gave me a questioning look. I smiled then proceeded to tell him what Conner and I had planned, when I got to making lasagna for supper they both looked at each other. “What?” I asked cautiously.

“Oh I just think that it would be a good idea for Jess and Conner to play tonight, around suppertime, you know.” Josh grinned and shrugged his shoulders.

Laughing, I wrapped my arms around his waist, “Would you like to come over for supper?” He nodded, saying that he’d love too. We made plans for them to come over around 4; that way I could finish the running around I had to do. When we were on our way to my house Conner asked me if Jesse’s dad was my boyfriend. I glanced in the rearview mirror at him, smiled and told him that he was.

I was extremely excited about the night ahead; I couldn’t wait for Josh to come over. Pulling into my driveway, my mood dipped a little as I stared at Jordan’s truck. What is he doing home? I glanced at the time, it was only 3:30, and he normally worked until 6. Jumping out of my car and quickly grabbing Conner, I ran inside hoping that nothing was wrong.

8 comments:

Anna said...

So today's post is a lot tamer than anything else so far, not much happens...but I hope you don't get discouraged or worst bored...I figured everyone still needed to cool down after yesterday's overly explict post...~g~

Anonymous said...

Lol, yesterday's post was awesome, but I like this one too. It's nice to show that they have lives seperate of eachother and I love that Anna is so good with kids; which would also be important to Josh if something were to come outta the hot romp they had. I just hope that Jordan gets over it bc that's really going to get in the way of her new relationship.

Anonymous said...

not bored at all! just even more eager for your next post! It is great that you post daily. Love this blog!

Anonymous said...

come on dont leave us hanging, what going to happen????

Anonymous said...

I didn't think yesterday's post was 'overly explicit'! :) It was real...not raunchy. Just like today's post seems real. I'm not sure where real and fiction meet here, but it really is a great blog. It's become one of my favorites! You are a great writer. I don't get to check it daily, like I'd like and rarely have a sec to read the comments, but I just wanted you to know it's GREAT~keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good as always! But I hope nothing's wrong with Jordan. Maybe he was just bumming around feeling sorry for himself all day instead of working. Can't wait for tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

how is it he just shows up at the same grocery store?! it must be a small town.. like wasilla (alaska.) theres three main grocery stores.. that's it. i feel bad for anna if that's the case, and if it is, she's getting a taste of that ex wife pretty soon, i should say.

Anonymous said...

Yay!! Play date...LOL!! I love the cliff hangers, but I love new posts even more!!! Keep it coming! I can't wait to see what's going on with Jordan...

Vikki