Friday, March 7, 2008

It Has To Be Bad News - You Can't Just Be Happy

It would’ve been easy right then and there to just tell Zack about Jordan and the change in our relationship but I didn’t. It’s not that I didn’t want him to know about us, quite the opposite actually, I wanted everyone to know now. I just wanted to have Jordan at my side when I did.

“Zack,” I sighed. “I know that you are worried and you think that something bad is happening but I promise you - everything is ok.”

“Then tell me what’s going on Anna.”

“Nothing is going on Zack. I’m just really happy right now and there’s nothing wrong with it.”

“No?” Zack crossed his arms over his chest and stared down at me.

“No.”

“Damnit Anna! Do you have any idea why I’m worried?”

I shrugged, “Because you are a cop and think only bad things happen?”

“No,” he snapped. “A month ago you blackout for a few days and since then you’ve been secretive, unusually happy and you disappear for hours at a time. It wouldn’t be so bad but you refuse to tell anyone what’s going on!”

“I have a right to privacy Zack!” I snapped. “I don’t have to tell you every little thing I do!”

“You do when you live under my roof!” He yelled at me. “I have three other daughters I have to think about as well - I can’t have you doing something that could negatively affect them and you!”

“I’m not your daughter,” I said quietly, even though I felt like screaming it at him. He flinched as if I hit him. “I’m your sister Zack and I’m 23 years old. I know that you are worried about me and that you feel the need to protect me because I’ve been under your guardianship for so long but you have to realize that some times I need to have a little space. You have to trust that I won’t do anything to hurt myself, the girls or you and Mary. You mean the world to me and I hate that you don’t feel that you can trust me right now.”

He opened and closed his mouth a few times but nothing came out. Finally his arms dropped from his chest and he sighed, “I know you are old enough to take care of yourself Anna but you passed out -”

“A month ago,” I cut him off. “I know you think it was drug related but you know me better than that. I don’t use drugs. I barely even take an Advil if I have a headache. I’ve been listening to your lectures all these years Zack and I’ve heard the stories of people who use drugs. I don’t think it wouldn’t happen to me, if I were to be stupid enough to use. The idea of not being in control of myself and hurting those I love scares me Zack.
That’s why I don’t do them.”

From experience, I knew the look Zack was giving me was him trying to determine if I was telling the truth or not.

“I have nothing to hide Zack.”

He shook his head. “I don’t believe that Anna, there’s something you aren’t telling me and I don’t like it one bit.”

“Ok,” I chuckled. “There is something that I haven’t told you but it’s not bad at all. I promise. It’s great and when you find out, you’ll be happy for me -”

“Ok then tell me, I’m listening.”

I groaned, “I don’t want to tell you yet.”

“Why not?” He demanded. “If it’s so great and I’ll be happy about it, why not tell me?”

“Oh daddy!” Cassie exclaimed excitedly. “It’s the best news ever!”

Zack’s head snapped to the side as he stared at his oldest daughter. “You know what it is?”

“Yes,” she said confidently as I groaned. “Aunt Anna told me just before you came stomping out here. And it’s not drugs daddy! It’s -”

“Cassie!” I cut her off. “You promised me you would keep quiet until I told them!”

Cassie immediately shut her mouth and stepped back from us.

“You asked my daughter to keep secrets from me?” Zack looked outraged.

“No, I told her what was going on and I asked that she would let me be the one to tell everyone! It’s happening to me! I should be the one to let everyone in on the good news!”

“Good news?” Zack repeated as he went pale under his tan. Closing his eyes, he cursed and said something about thinking that Mary was wrong but he was wrong, she was right.

“Right?” I frowned. “Right about what?”

Zack opened his eyes and stared at me. What he would say next shocked me more than his whole ‘me on drugs’ theory.

19 comments:

The Middle Child said...

They think she's pregnant! Hahahaha! I bet they do!

Anonymous said...

hahaha he thinks she is pregnant............ but in any case Zack is starting to annoy the heck out of me he is way to pushy he needs to back off. I know he is worried but Anna is old enough to make her own decisions.

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree with DG.

KBear said...

i agree. they think she's pregnant

she's gonna have to call jordy and put him on speaker..lol...

Anonymous said...

I think he thinks she's pregnant and Josh is the father.

Anonymous said...

I agree they think she is pregnant. lol...



April

Anonymous said...

Yeah he definately thinks she is pregnant. She passed out, she has been happy. I would probably think that too.

Anonymous said...

Either they think she's pregnant or back with Josh.

Anonymous said...

I wish she was back with Josh.:( Also, the anon comment from a couple of posts ago about a Josh Blog- I totallly agree with you!! I wish there was one because I love Josh and wish that we heard about him more.

Mehreen said...

They definitely think she's pregnant. While I want to be annoyed with Zack, I KNOW I do the same thing with my siblings because I feel like I'm entitled to know everything they do JUST IN CASE...so I can't hold a grudge. She should just tell Jordan to come over and tell everyone already!

Vikki said...

Zach needs to chill out or maybe Anna needs to get her own place. He may not be able to see her as his adult sister while she's still living in his house. But, he's starting to get on my nerves now. I love the relationship Cassie and Anna have.

Great Post!!

Nic said...

Like everyone else commenting here, I think that they think Anna's pregnant.

Can't wait what will be happening next.

Anonymous said...

i think that zack definately has a right to know what anna is doing more than anyone else because she IS living under his room and he was nice enough to let her, a 23 year old adult, come live with him, his wife, and his family. zack has managed to grow up and provide for himself and four other people, why can't anna do the same? i mean anna is an adult and she is mature and what not, but she doesn't see that she's living under his roof so she needs to respect him more and tell him what's going on. it's not like ZACK would go around telling people what was going on, he'd keep it a secret much much more than cassie would.

MonkeySpeak said...

zack has classic cop syndrome - overbearing, controlling, im right you are wrong.

i know his heart is in the right place but i actually have never really liked him.

and i actually do wonder if she is pregs. the pass out thing was never really explained?

MonkeySpeak said...

And I disagree with the anon above me. I mean its just my opinion but...
im 24 - i happen to live with my parents while i am saving money because rent is atrocious living in a large city and with the market crashing in the states.

here is the thing. as an ADULT, your family needs to TRUST YOU. anna has never done a thing to lead them to not trust her. as an ADULT zack NEEDS to give her the space to tell him whats going on on her own time. She has told him multiple times she will speak to him on her own when she is ready.

She shouldnt HAVE TO TELL HIM a thing. She should want to. The bottom line is. ZACK DOES NOT RESPECT ANNA.

im sorry but he doesn't. the fact that he isn't trusting her enough to say look i am worried, if you wont tell me this minute i woudl like us to sit down and talk about it at this time on this day. or let anna say ok zack, we will talk and this is when. hes backing her into a corner and hes pushing and controling. huge sign of DISRESPECT.

i tell my family what is going on in my life because they trust and respect my judgement, not because i HAVE to tell them anything. they never ask me and its not because they don't care, its because they know ill open up when i want to, which is actually quite often.

Anonymous said...

Can you say OVERBEARING??.......geez I know he raised her practically and loves her and is concerned about his own daughters but lets get off the drug kick and stop being so instrusive!! Brother or not I wouldn't be living there much longer

Anonymous said...

I think he's worried that she's happy because she's back w/Josh. He probably assumes the secrecy is because she doesn't want him to know about it because he didn't really approve of their relationship.

Anonymous said...

I agree... they think she is pregnant. It will be fun to see what happens and their reaction.

As far as Zack... that is just the way their relationship has always been. He is the big bro/father figure and has concerns. He sees stuff through his cop eyes but he is also looking out for his whole family including her. He was the one she ran to when she was upset knowing that he would be there. It is all part of their family dynamic.

However it is time share about her and jordy!

~Cathy

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Anna were a 23 year old guy living in her brothers families basement would you feel the same way? or because he is a guy would he be "creepy"