Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Beached

It was late afternoon - probably about nearing 6 - most of the people that were at the lake when I arrived with the girls and Conner were packing up and heading out for dinner. My nieces had just taken Conner down to the water to attempt to make a sand town - something they’ve been trying every single day since summer began.

Since I was alone, I laid back on my beach blanket and closed my eyes. Taking a couple deep breathes, I listened to the excited squeal of kids and adults alike as we all enjoyed one of the warmest days of the year. It was surprisingly relaxing, the warm sun on my skin, soon I barely heard the chatter that surrounded me while I thought about everything from Jordan, work, my family, and Josh.

Yes, Josh. It had been over a month since we broke up and I still thought about him. It was hard not too, he was very important to me for a while, we were pretty intense - I was bound to think about him.

And Jesse. I missed Jesse probably more than I missed Josh. Although, I don’t really know if that was true or if I was just trying to convince myself of it because I didn’t want to doubt the feelings I had for Jordan. I hated to admit it but even though I loved Jordan, Josh was on my mind a lot.

That afternoon I was thinking about the last night I saw either one of them. Canada Day, the party. The night that I found out that Josh wasn’t really about to become a dad again and the same night we really called it quits. Like many times since that night, I thought about Josh’s request to be friends. At first I didn’t even want to think about possibly being his friend, I was hurting and I didn’t want to go down that whole ‘are we friends? Or something more’ path with him again; the feelings were still pretty strong.

Now, I found myself wondering how he was and what he’s been up too all summer now that he had Jesse with him. I worried that he wouldn’t want to give Jess back to Carol when the summer ended and I wondered how the custody battle was going now. There were many times that I attempted to ask Zack about Josh but I didn’t want to hear the lecture that would go along with him telling me.

Maybe I’ll call him tonight, I thought but knew in my heart that I didn’t have the courage to pick up the phone because I didn’t want to hear the indifference in his voice. I didn’t want to know that he could care less if he ever heard from me again.

That’s crazy, I told myself. He was the one who wanted to be friends in the first place, why wouldn’t he want to hear from you?

If he wanted to talk to you, my inner voice spoke up. He would’ve picked up the phone and called you.

Sighing, I admitted that it was true; he could’ve called me just as much as I could’ve called him.

And besides, my inner voice continued. Do you really think Josh would want to be your friend when he finds out that you are dating Jordan? Then there’s Jordan. Do you think it’s fair to him to actively seek a connection to your ex? Doesn’t he deserve better than that?

“Oh for the love of God,” I sighed and opened my eyes. “It’s not like -”

“Hi Anna!”

I jumped, blinked a few times in rapid succession at Jesse as he grinned and squatted at me side with his blue plastic bucket and yellow shovel.

“You weren’t sleeping,” he giggled. “Daddy said you weren’t but I no believe him! Whoa!” He exclaimed in surprise as he fell onto his bum. “I falled,” he laughed.

“Yes, you did.” I replied as my gaze nervously jumped to the 6’2 man standing just behind him, blocking the sun. “Hello Josh,” I even sounded nervous when I spoke. I hated that.

Before Josh could reply, Jesse was tugging on my hand. “Anna play with me?”

Turning my attention back to Jess, I smiled. “Of course I will Jesse.” I watched him kneel up and then stand in front of me as he gripped the white plastic handle of the bucket. “I really missed playing with you.”

“We make a sand castle Anna. Daddy said so.”

“Sand castle?” I sat up quickly and scanned the beach until I spotted my nieces and nephew.

“What doing?” Jesse peered at me. When I explained to him that I was just checking to see if Conner and the girls were alright, his eyes lit up. “Conner is here?” He tilted his head all the way back and stared up at his dad. “I play with Conner Daddy?”

Josh nodded, “Yes you can play with Conner.”

With Jesse having Josh’s permission, I scrambled off the blanket and held out my hand. “I’ll just take him down there,” I mumbled as Jesse wrapped his hand around my fingers.

I didn’t know if I was imagining it or not but I was sure I could feel Josh’s gaze on me as we walked down the beach towards my family - I felt totally self conscious and naked. I shouldn’t have though, it wasn’t like the swimwear I was sporting was overly sexy or anything. In fact, the black racer back tankini top and matching mid-scoop bottoms I picked out received a eye roll and dig at my fashion sense from my oldest nieces. Only Natalie thought that my outfit was ‘cool’.

Once we reached my family, Jesse insisted that I help him scoop a bucketful of sand, pack it and dump it. “We made a tower,” he exclaimed when we lifted the bucket and the sand stayed together.

“Good for you,” Lindsay said cheerfully as she moved over to where we were. “Why don’t I help you with the next tower Jesse?”

“But I want Anna to play with me,” Jesse pouted.

And I will,” I reassured him.

“Yeah,” Lindsay leaned in and whispered in Jesse’s ear. As she spoke, Jesse’s eyes lit up and he started to nod excitedly.

“You go,” Jesse said to me when Lindsay stopped whispering.

“But you wanted -”

“Anna you go,” he repeated as he handed his bucket to Lindsay. “Linny make tower with me. You go play with Daddy, Linny said so.”

I shot Lindsay a dirty look as she started to laugh. “Don’t look at me,” she chuckled. “I just said that you should talk to Josh.”

“Lindsay,” I gave her a warning look but she ignored it.

“I don’t think that you gave Josh a real chance,” she told me seriously. “Don’t get me wrong, I love Uncle Jordan but Aunt Anna, Josh is…” she shrugged. “I just want you to talk to him. Please?”

33 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let the drama begin!!!!

Anonymous said...

I don't like where this is heading... so team Jordan. Come on Anna, make up your mind before you tear your own life apart.

Anonymous said...

Who's the adult here? Sheesh! LOL
Talk about destructive behavior. Sometimes ties must be cut in order to move on in a healthy way so she doesn't get hurt and the people who care about her don't get hurt anymore.
Hopefully Anna's learned from her previous situation at the beginning of her relationship with Josh that adding a male friendship into the mix at such a critical stage does more harm than good.
Think first, Anna, think! If you don't you could lose your current boyfriend AND your best friend. But, besides being a Jordy fan, we haven't read about one crazy conflict/argument/road block/temper tantrum between her and Jordy since they started dating. There was a lot of that with Josh.

Anonymous said...

WOW.. She needs to be the adult and not let the kids tell her what she should do. Only Anna knows best but even then I don't think she does know.. Come on the chapter of Josh is over and closed.. Jordy is the one for you.. he is the new chapter!

PCS said...

And here comes the trouble!

Anonymous said...

hello, can we control that neice?! my gosh...she's just stirring up issues...what a brat!

Anonymous said...

i love me some jordy but bring on the josh drama!

lindsey can't decide what or who she wants for anna

Anonymous said...

Anna doesn't deserve Jordan.

Anonymous said...

I've really enjoyed reading these blogs for awhile now. But I'm not feeling them so much anymore. The story lines are getting tired and old (for example - we had three posts of jordan and anna and now josh is back? ...stretching much?)

I'll give it a little longer, but this may be removed from my blog list.

Anonymous said...

Not liking this.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Wow lindsays annoying.
live your own life.

Anonymous said...

Good story but she needs to forget Josh. We all have that lost romance, great passion, but really, they weren't compatible and she needs to a)forget thinking about him as much as is possible and focus on her present and b) tell the kids that. Too much back and forth is unhealthy.

Anonymous said...

And we haven't even got a steamy sex entry with Jordan yet! If she keeps this up we'll never see one.

DDgirl said...

I enjoyed this post.
C'mon people, in real life, the exes pop in from time to time, and we all have to deal with that, so I like that Angela keeps the story up this way!

Take care Angela!

Anonymous said...

Anna doesnt deserve Jordan.

Anonymous said...

I love Josh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Team Josh forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EJ said...

I LOVE IT!!

You can't just have someone who was huge in your life and just expect her to forget about him. YEESH.

And a little drama never hurt anyone. I love this story because it's true to life! Anna isn't perfect and neither is any one of us!!

Anonymous said...

DDgirl is right, ex's do show up and we have to deal with them.

Is it wrong that Anna thinks about Josh? They have been only broken up for a month and they were pretty serious. The possiblity that she may not have completely moved on from him is the main reason she didn't want to jump into anything with Jordan. It doesn't mean that she's going to do anything stupid and it doesn't mean that she won't.

Is it wrong that she misses Jesse? We all know that she loves kids. Isn't it normal for her to miss one kid who touched her heart from the moment she say him wandering around Layaway with Mister Bear wrapped up tight in his arms?

We know that she has done some stupid things in the past but will this really be one of them?

Of course, I have the luxury of knowing where this story is going - even if I didn't already have tomorrow's post written before I posted today's ~l~

I don't really think that thinking about an ex means that you don't deserve the man you are with. Some times it helps to remember what went wrong in order to try to not repeat the same mistakes.

Also, I feel that if you are bored with the story, then you have every right to stop reading. I don't really want that to happen but I do understand because I've been there with many other blogs that I used to read. All I can say is thank's for coming along this far on Anna's journey.

I hope you are all having a great day. I'll see you tomorrow ~s~

Angela

Lynn said...

All most everyone thinks about a past love...you wouldn't be human if you didn't. I think about all kinds of stuff that I rather I wouldn't because it is my personality. Whats wrong with thinking about what might have been!, should have been, would have been, could have been. At times you can't control your thoughts.
I think Anna's personality is a caretaker, so it is very insightful for Angela to write that she thinks about Josh and Jesse. It doesn't mean she wants to get back with Josh, (and I am Team Josh) Sometimes it is good to talk to someone and get the closure that what you thought was great about them doesn't look so great in the light of day.
I think you are a good writer Angela.

Carmel Beauty said...

I'll admit I am a little frustrated with the switching but she can talk with Josh and it may help her control her "thinking" about him. I think it is more of a what if situation. Like what if that girl hadn't have lied about being preggers, would they still be together? There will always be drama that girl jordan was messing with from the states could end up coming back or heather could have a problem with them dating, anything so bring it on angela.

Anonymous said...

Angela, I love your writing! This is not a romance novel, it is supposed to reflect real life. And in real life, you run across your exes from time to time and you have thoughts about them and maybe even how different things would be if the course of life had been changed. That does not make Anna not deserve Jordan, nor does it make Lindsay an annoying brat. She's a kid, you can't control kids, she's just being young. Great writing!

Linds said...

I was hoping that Josh would bump into Anna! I am excited that they might be able to settle some of the problems...maybe not getting back to gether although I wish that was the case. THey need to leave the relationship behind them with no "what ifs". They are adults but sometimes got to emotional to really hear what the other person was saying when they hard disagreements.
Still Team Josh!!!

KBear said...

lindsay is what? 8-10 years old?

she's stating her mind: like ALL children THAT age do! doesnt mean anna is going to do it. we havent read anna's response to it yet.

doesnt mean she doesnt deserve jordy either. it means she has to be polite and civil because well, she has actual manners.

that and the fact josh is zach's friend too. she should maintain at least some sort of level of civility.

good post!

kmorales4 said...

OH $#!+

I smell trouble.

Anonymous said...

I have always been Team Josh- so, I am happy to see his name back in the blog. I wish they could work out their problems. I just can't seem to get into the story as much with Jordan and Anna together. It's still really well written; I'm just so Team Josh! The other thing is, I feel that Jordan still has a lot of loose ends. Whatever happened to the girl in California? What happened with Bella? What happened with the other two guys that Anna talked to at the BBQ- Wade and the cop? Jordan and Anna have way too many variables for me to switch to Team Jordan. Or...I could have not been reading the posts as closely since Jordan became a BF and I could have missed the answers to my questions! I am a little slow on the uptake sometimes!

Melissa Robinson said...

Um Lindsay is like 16, not 8-10! And she has been fairly insightful thus far so I agree, it would be good for her to talk to Josh but in public (which they are) and it would be best to be open and honest about it with Jordan.

Anonymous said...

I think people are confusing the nieces. Cassie is the oldest, Lindsey middle and Natalie the youngest. Although I don't recall exact ages, I think kbear is closest with the 8-10 guess on Lindsey. I think mlg6504 is thinking of Cassie.

Anonymous said...

Yea I agree with Anon 9:43... Anna seems to be looking to start drama and she will end up tearing her life apart again. Seriously, when she was with josh her thoughts were all about jordan and missing out on what could be the love of her life. And now, even after breaking up with josh and the shi**y way he treated her since their break, she is still thinking about him and having him in her life.

Sidenote: I also think Lindsey is trying to start drama, telling anna to go play or talk with Josh.

~T~

If this is how anna really is, trying to cause drama in her life, then I think Jordy deserves better.

Anonymous said...

It is fine to run into an ex and act amicably towards them that is an adult thing to do - the danger is if Anna takes it further than that, which I hope she will be smart enough to avoid.

Anonymous said...

actually mlg6504 is closer... Lindsay is 14

ctiger said...

I love this blog because it is true to life. It is a great story and i can't wait to read more. Although i do see trouble. I hope it all works out with Jordy. I really hope Anna doesn't do anything stupid. It is much too soon for her and josh to be friends and i think Jordy will be crushed. Oh i can't wait for more.

Chris

The Middle Child said...

Will Jordan be able to handle it if he sees her talking to Josh? I hope he can be a big man and see it for what it is, just two people talking.... cause we all know he's going to find out.. one way or another!

Anonymous said...

What I didn't like about the post, and what had my panties in a wad was her thinking about having Josh in her life. In the past, it seemed as though they said they were through and she had him in her life it was more than that. To me it seemed as if she were holding onto more than just hopes for a friendship. I don't think it's wrong of her to think of her ex. I still think of my ex and I've been married to my husband for 8 years now. (My ex did die last year of cancer, but I'm still very close with his family.) But it seemed the way her thinking was leading that she was wanting more. I'm happy to read that's not the case.