Friday, March 28, 2008

Closer

When we arrived at Jordan’s home, he quickly turned off the engine and came around to help me out of his truck before opening the back door to remove Jenna’s sleeping body from the car seat. “Can you open the door for me?” He held out his keys to me as he closed the truck door with his foot.

Before I got even two feet from him, he called out and asked me to lock his truck. “I forgot,” he said when I turned around.

“Which was is it?” I stared at the well worn remote in my hand, all the writing was long gone and the buttons looked the same.

“It’s the one on the right,” he stood next to me - the masculine scent of him combining with the powdery softness from Jenna was enough to make my body ache for his touch and my heart to ache for a baby of my own. I started to wonder if things would’ve been different for us if we had gotten our act together years before. Would we be together and have a family? Or would we have split up and gone our separate ways?

“Babe?” Jordan called out from the front door. “Are you coming?” He chuckled, “Or did you change your mind about spending the night?”

“No,” I started up the driveway. “I’ve been looking forward to this night for a whole month!”

His arm wrapped around my waist. “I feel like I’ve been waiting my whole life.”

“Sweet talker,” I joked as I moved to unlock the door for him. “I’m already spending the night, you know.”

“I know,” he motioned me inside and then followed me. “I don’t think I’ll ever stop sweet talking you though,” leaning in, he whispered, “I’ll need to stay ahead of the other guys.”

“Other guys?” I laughed. “There’s no one else but you Babe.” Closing the door, I leaned back against it and grinned.

“Whatcha grinning for?” He shifted Jenna higher in his arms.

Instead of saying anything, I shoved off the door and went to him. Tilting my head, I gazed up at him and slid my hand over his chest. My hand continued to move until my fingers buried themselves deep in his hair. “You make me happy.”

“Babe,” he groaned, taking a step to bring him as close as he could get with Jenna in his arms. “Have I told you…” his eyes dropped from my eyes to my neck and then came to rest on my chest. “You in that dress…” he bit his lip.

Jenna suddenly moved in Jordan’s arms, she didn’t wake up but it was enough to snap me out of the little spell I was under. I dropped my hand to his on my shoulder, before I spoke, I wet my lips.

“Ahha,” he moved to kiss me but I turned my head so he caught my cheek. “Babe why -?”

With a smile, I stroked Jenna’s blonde curls, “I think we should put this little girl to bed and then…” I rocked up on my toes, my hand pressing against his chest. “Then we can talk about me and my dress.”

“Deal!” He kissed my cheek before kicking off his shoes. I chuckled to myself as he hurried down the hallway.

A few minutes later, I walked down the same hallway on my way to his room to grab my bag and start washing the make up off my face. When a search of his room didn’t turn up my bag, I wandered to the bathroom where Jordy was attempting to clean Jenna up before putting her to bed; he was struggling.

Leaning against the doorframe, I asked him how he was doing; he told me that Jenna wasn’t cooperating. “She’s sleeping,” I said with a chuckle. “Here,” I made my way over to them. “Why don’t I remove her clothes, take her and then you can do whatever it is you were trying to do here.”

“That would be great,” he flashed me a grateful smile.

I reached to undo the bottom on the back of her dress and then started to remove it. “Wow,” I chuckled as I held her arm in my hand. “She really got into her ice cream, didn’t she? She’s all sticky.”

“Yeah,” he kissed the top of Jenna’s head. “I didn’t have the heart to stop her, she was having so much fun and I figured I would clean her up after - I guess I didn’t clean her very well.”

“Oh it’s ok,” I placed the dress of the counter and motioned for him to lift her so I could finish. “Jenna didn’t mind, that’s all that mattered.”

Once Jenna was ready, Jordan handed her to me and turned to get a washcloth for her. It probably wouldn’t seem like a big deal to anyone else but this moment, helping Jordan with Jenna was probably the best moment of my life - I don’t think I could’ve ever been closer to him than I felt at that moment.

“There we go,” Jordan said with finality as he set the dirty washcloth on the vanity. “Come to dad-” he stopped when I held her close to my chest. “Oh,” he chuckled and crossed his arms over his chest. “That’s my daughter, you know.”

I turned away from him, “I know,” I threw over my shoulder as I watched out of the bathroom.

“Wait, wait!” Jordan came after me. “Where are you going?”

Instead of replying, I turned into Jenna’s room and headed over to the dresser; once there I waited for Jordan to join us. “I thought I would hold her while you started to slip her pjs on her and then you’d take her and I’ll do her up. What do you think?”

He stood there staring at me for a few minutes and then finally, he laughed. “I think you wanted to be a part of our bedtime routine.” Opening the top drawer, he pulled out a pair of pink pjs with little white ducks on them. “All you had to do was ask,” he smiled at me. “I would’ve let you - I want you to be a part of this - a part of everything Babe?”

“Really?” I couldn’t hide my surprise.

“Of course,” he kissed me. “Even if you weren’t my girlfriend Anna, I would want you to be a part of this.”

“Why is that Jordy? If I was just your best friend, why would you want me involved with some of the most intimate moments between you and Jenna?”

“Why?” He laughed, a deep one that shook his body. “I don’t think you realize just how bad I have it for you Anna. You are the only person in my life who’s ever been there for me. You loved me, cared about me and have watched my back from the moment you were able to talk back.” He paused, gave me a look, as if daring me to argue that last point. I didn’t. “Babe….” I finished buttoning Jenna up and he moved towards her crib.

Holding Jenna up, Jordan kissed her and then carefully placed her in her crib. When he finished covering her up, he spun around with a look in his eyes that excited me. Even more so when he charged towards me, pausing only long enough to grab me by the hand and drag me out of the room.

The moment we got outside Jenna’s room, Jordan backed me up against the wall.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Angela! Ur evil!!
What a cliff hanger!
I think the anticipation will kill me before mondays post

B

Anonymous said...

Wow, Angela! That's just MEAN!! You are officially the queen of cliffhangers! I can't wait until Monday!!

But what a great post!

-Julianne

MonkeySpeak said...

anna is REALLY young to be so obsessed with being a mom. IMOH..

MonkeySpeak said...

sorry i mean IMHO lol

Anonymous said...

AHHHHHHH! monday needs to come a lot sooner! this is the post i have been waiting for! hopefully nothing interrrupts them ...cause that would be just evil!:D

Anonymous said...

I think Anna is a little young to be obsessed with having a baby, but at the same time, she is about my age, and I know what its like to have everyone around you starting a family and know that you are ready for that yourself but your life isn't ready for it. It does put some pressure on you, even if its not real pressure from anyone but yourself.

Anonymous said...

Broken, its a tough call. My sister always wanted kids from the time she was still in school. She's a great mom too. Some people have more of a maternal instinct than others do. It could be from her childhood too.

In the meantime I want to read the next one and Spare NO details. (evil grin)

MonkeySpeak said...

I mean anon has a point... im a year older than anna i think... maybe a little more.. and my friends are a bit older than myself and while a few of them are getting married and we are all on that path most of us are more concerned with making sure our careers are secure and we are on the right path financially before we even think about kids.

that is one thing that i don't get though. im not saying there is anything wrong with the characters jobs, but it does seem like jordy is the only one in a real trade... (aside from zack and josh) anna seems to have some ambition in terms of becoming a manager... but none of the other characters ever seem to want to start a career... they all want jobs... but no career? or am i the only one who feels that way... (when i say career i mean a position in a specific trade or profession... no one seems to concerned with a school degree or anything). Why doesn't Nick consider getting a degree and finding ONE career that he could be happy with instead of working 2-3 jobs to support his family. Wouldnt that seem like the best option? It may take time but it would be the most beneficial in the long run...

it just seems like the characters are more concerned with making babies and being in relationships, not in their careers or living their individual lives. (it just seems like a very codependent world to me).

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the point made about careers. It's my belief that before starting a family- especially if you are so concerned with making plans for one- one should be in a secure relationship and financially secure. I get that Anna's managerial job may make enough money for her to survive comfortably, but kids are expensive, especially when they grow up. She should think about that before having kids, because once a child is in the picture, it becomes 100 times harder to pursue school or anything else.

Anonymous said...

I have to agree with the point made about careers. It's my belief that before starting a family- especially if you are so concerned with making plans for one- one should be in a secure relationship and financially secure. I get that Anna's managerial job may make enough money for her to survive comfortably on her own(of course she is currently living with her brother), but kids are expensive especially when they grow up. She should think about that before having kids because once a child is in the picture it becomes 100 times harder to pursue school or anything else.

Anonymous said...

I hear what you guys are saying about a career, but not everyone goes that direction and yet they still survive and have good lives. I have several family members that work in non-trade, no formal education jobs that support them and their families as well as or greater than my "career" after 4 years of college. Really depends on the job that each person is doing. I know that Walmart is rated as #2 on the list of best employers here in my town.

Anonymous said...

To each his or her own. Some women are career minded and some are maternal minded.

I don't like to hear that women SHOULD start a career first before thinking about children. There's never a right way or wrong way. But, I do like to hear women standing up and saying that we have a CHOICE. Because, back in the day, women didn't get to make these choices of their own. It just shows that we are moving up with the times.

Oooooo weeee! We're finally gonna get some Anna and Jordy lovin'!

Anonymous said...

I definitely think there is a right way and a wrong way to start a family. Children should be brought into this world without first providing them with opportunities they would not have had otherwise. In theory it may not be right that people require a certain amount of stability but in reality it is the child who suffers.

Love the cliffhanger!

Lynn said...

I disagree with the above poster. There is no "right" way or "wrong" way to start a family. Look around at financially stable families and families living pay check to paycheck, both share in having problem children, and also have really great children.
Children just need stability, love, discipline and a parent to be their parent instead of trying to be their friend. That's just my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Oh right Anon, because this is a perfect world. No one ever suffers.

In reality, you provide the best you can with what you have available. Pain and suffering is a big part of life... such as death, break-ups, losing a baseball game, etc. You learn, build character, and learn how to be a strong person from experiences like this.

I'm not saying a crack addicted woman without a husband should spew out babies just because she wants them. I'm saying some people are more priviledged than others. A younger lower class couple should be allowed to procreate just as a middle aged upper class couple should be able to. Yes, definitely the children from each couple will have enormously different lives, but it doesn't mean they would be lacking in love or experiences.

Anonymous said...

There is no need for sarcasm or defensiveness, Anon. I was trying to point out the fact that when a relationship is unstable or just beginning, throwing a child into the mix would only hurt the child. And while certain life experiences do shape an individuals character, struggling through instability that could have been avoided leaves lasting damage and resentment. Of course love and experiences are extremely important, but they aren't everything and a character such as the one we are referring to would prefer that her child have a solid foundation.

Anonymous said...

"I don't like to hear that women SHOULD start a career first before thinking about children."

Every woman should at least have something to fall back on. How many stories do you hear about the SAHM who's husband fucks off and leaves her with nothing? Without a back up plan and resources to pull through on that the child(ren) will end up struggling along with their mother.
Having a career or skill to fall back on is one of the most important things you can have because nothing is guaranteed. It's like a prenup, you don't want to think that the relationship will ever end but it's certainly important.

Anonymous said...

Personally, I agree with Lynn. When to have a child has always been one of those big debates and will continue to be. Everyone can give examples of good/bad experiences.

Anna & Jordy... the wait is kiling me! ;o>
~katiesue

Anonymous said...

I do hope we ALL realize that this is a FICTIONAL BLOG. In reality we need to think of careers, financial and relationship stability, however this little world here is MADE UP. Just shush and enjoy it or at least let the rest of us do it.

Anonymous said...

Well I have not posted in a while but this debate is interesting. I must say I agree with the fact that a family has to have financial stability. Love and experiences do shape a child but we have to be realists now.

Forget about Anna for now. If you had the decision of raising a child while having money or not having it at all what would you choose. I personally found myself choosing to have the means so I can give my child everything I was given and everything he needs. This doesn't mean spoiling him. My parents belong to the middle class and I have two other siblings. Both of my parents graduated from college and got their masters. So each one of us has always had what we needed and wanted in life plus education, vacations, etc. Moreover, even though both my parents worked they never missed any of our games, recitals, school activities, they even helped us with homework whenever they got back from work.

We were also taught to value the things we had and always be there for each other. My dad lost his job for a while ago, and at the same time my parents got a divorce. At this point each one of us did what we could to help our family. I was torn between the two because I loved them both, but since my sisters had to stay with my mom due to their age. I decided to stay with my dad got a job and started helping him by paying my college education among other things. My other siblings however, because they were little helped in other ways.

In any case, I want to give my children everything I was given including the love, attention, culture, education, etc. both our parents gave me and my siblings.

At the same time, I'm a very independent person and I know for a fact that marriages now a days may not last. I'm not being pessimistic, its just that no matter what I don't want to be maintained by my husband I have my own ambitions like med school.

In any case, back to the whole money thing. Yes I know there are people out there without a degree making money. But life is so unpredictable that I rather play it safe get my degree and make sure my children will not be deprived of anything they need including the love and attention from both of their parents.

-------------------------------
Angela please post today I'm going crazy here lol...