Wednesday, November 21, 2007

My Turn

“You needed to speak to a cop?” I repeated, an utterly confused look on my face. “Why? Are you in trouble? What happened?”

Jordan started to laugh, “Why do you automatically assume that there is something wrong Anna?”

I crossed my arms as I stared him in the eyes. “Because,” I said slowly. “The only time you ever keep stuff from me is when there is something wrong. Please don’t do that Jordan, I hate it when you do.”

He lifted one hand up to his chin, stroking his stubble thoughtfully as he gazed at me. Even though he’s looked at me that way before, many times over the years, this time it seemed a little different. I don’t know what it was though.

“Jordan,” I shifted uncomfortably under his gaze. “Just tell me what’s going on with you, please?”

Dropping his hand to his side, he looked away. “Nothing is going on Anna. I’m not sick, I’m not broke and I’m not about to be arrested. Everything is great.”

“Ok,” I gave in. “I believe you and I won’t ask about it again.” I went to make my way into the living room but Jordan’s hand on my arm stopped me.

“Just like that?”

“Yes, just like that.”

“No begging? No pleading?” I shook my head. “No threats of bodily harm? No promises of good things that are revoked when I spill?”

“No,” I smiled at him. “None of that, you can keep your secret.” I removed his hand from my arm before going to the couch to sit down. “I figure you’ll tell me later if you wish for me to know. If not…” I shrugged and picked up the copy of a tabloid that was sitting on the coffee table.

“Riight!” Jordan chuckled as he plopped down next to me. “You can pretend you aren’t dying to know, I’m still not going to tell you.”

“Suit yourself,” I flipped through the magazine nonchalantly. I really was dying to know what he was doing there but one of the things I decided to change about me was my obsessive need to know everything. I figured that way, I wouldn’t get into trouble because I wouldn’t be butting into situations that I shouldn’t be involved in, in the first place. So far this moment with Jordan was the first test of this new found nonchalance. It was killing me!

The seconds ticked away, each one marked by the clock that hung on the wall near the couch. I could feel Jordan’s eyes on me, I knew he was trying to break me down, make me growl in frustration, toss down the magazine and plead with him to tell me. It’s a dance we did for years, one that I was determined not to slide into at that moment. I don’t even know why, I just knew that I shouldn’t.

The clock chimed the hour – it was nine o’clock. It would be after the last chime when he spoke again. “Anna!” He ripped the magazine from my hands. “What is going on with you? Why are you acting different?”

I frowned at him as I grabbed the magazine back. “Everyone has told me for years that I should mind my own business, so that’s what I’m doing.” I flipped through the pages until I came to the ‘who wore it best’ section I was looking at when he pulled it from me.

“Screw that!” Jordan snapped as he, once again, ripped the magazine from me. “Screw Josh too if he thinks that you need to change. I like you the way you are!”

“This change isn’t for Josh or because of him either Jordan. You, yourself, have told me many times to mind my own business. I’m just taking everyone’s advice.” I smiled sweetly at him and held out my hand. “Can I please read that now? I want to see if Kate or Kelly wore that fugly green dress ‘best’. Although,” I chuckled. “If it were me, I would’ve burnt the damn thing and picked something nicer. Screw spending big bucks to look like a bag lady cave woman!”

When I turned my attention back to the magazine after he handed it back to me, he sighed loudly and sat back hard enough against the couch to make me move from the ‘after shock’. But I ignored him.

Then he started to hum. When that didn’t work, he started to whistle. I smiled at him and turned the page.

I was in the middle of an article about Brad and Angelina - shaking my head at the stuff that those two were reportedly doing (I don’t know what it is, but I really don’t like either one of them, I never did) – when Jordan started to poke me in the side. At first it was soft and I could ignore it but soon he was jabbing me hard.

“Stop that!” I swatted him with the magazine. “That hurts!” I turned to glare at him but I laughed instead, he was pouting. “What do you want?”

He whined like a little puppy for a couple seconds before rubbing his cheek against my shoulder.

“Jordy,” I laughed as I pushed him away. “What do you want?” I repeated.

One more whimper escaped from him before he rested his head against my shoulder and gazed up at me. “I want you to want to know,” he said. “I don’t want you to change because I love you just the way you are.”

I was about to tell him to give it up when I heard the kitchen door hit against the wall and saw Josh stomping along by the living room. “Josh?” I called out and he stopped short. He turned, about to say something but his mouth slammed shut when his eyes zeroed in on me and Jordan on the couch.

I didn’t know what to say, to explain to him that this wasn’t anything.

“Hey Josh,” Jordan seemed to think it was wise to speak. He grabbed the magazine I was holding and smiled at Josh. “Anna was reading me this story of fame, fortune and really stupid ideas and comments.”

Josh looked really upset, I thought he was going to snap but instead his lip twitched and a smile forced its way out. His features seemed to relax a little but his body still looked really tense. “That’s nice,” he said to Jordan and then looked at me. “I think I’m going to take a rain check on seeing those blankets Anna.”

“What?” I shoved Jordan away and jumped up. “Why?” I asked when I stood in front of him. “What’s wrong?”

He closed his eyes and sighed as a hand raked through his hair. “I just think it would be best if I went home right now, I have some stuff I apparently have to think about.”

“Stuff you have to think about?” I was confused. “Josh what went on in the kitchen just now?”

“I got to go honey,” he slipped his hands around my shoulders and kissed my forehead. “I’ll call you tomorrow. Good night.”

He was gone before I could stop him. I stood in the hallway, staring at the front door, wondering what the hell just happened. I even asked Jordan what happened.

“My guess,” Jordan now stood beside me. “Josh asked for Zack’s –“

“Jordan he didn’t ask Zack for my hand in marriage! Now drop it!”

“Anna?” My brother called out from the kitchen door. I turned to him, he motioned towards the kitchen. “I think it’s your turn.” He disappeared back into the kitchen.

I glanced at Jordan, he shrugged. “Only way to find out is to do see what he wants,” he told me. “I’ll be out here catching up on the story.” I watched him walk over to the couch and plop down on it, grabbing the magazine I had been reading just moments ago.

“Anna!” I jumped when Zack called out to me.

“Better get going,” Jordan chuckled.

As I made my way down the hall, I wondered if Jordan was right. Did Josh ask Zack for his permission? Could he have been that stupid considering the state of our relationship at the moment?

I wanted to believe that he didn’t. That there was something about Carol, Phil or Jesse that he wanted to talk to Zack about but that wasn’t the feeling I had.

9 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Faithful Readers! I hope that you are all having at great day.

So this past weekend I bought a laptop and spent most of the last couple days playing with it! Just thought I'd share that since I'm very excited about it.

I have a question for all of you. How many of you share your blog with everyone except the people you know outside the internet? Do your parents, siblings, relatives, other half read your blog? Or even know about it?

Have a good day!

Angela

PCS said...

OOOO the guess is killing me! What does he want to talk to anna about?????

As far as I know, nobody I know reads this, I never told anyone about my blog...

EJ said...

SO much drama!!

I'm the same as PCS... This is my get away from anyone who knows me...

Anonymous said...

I hate when it ends on a cliffhanger! :) And I won't be able to read it again until Monday since my computer at home is broken, and my company is closed Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun for Thanksgiving! Darn, I really want to know what's gonna happen...

Anonymous said...

I hate when it ends on a cliffhanger! :) And I won't be able to read it again until Monday since my computer at home is broken, and my company is closed Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun for Thanksgiving! Darn, I really want to know what's gonna happen...

The Middle Child said...

My mom knows I have a blog, she doesn't read it. My best friend here reads it, and so does my boyfriend and a few othe friends. My bosses don't.. thank heavens!

Anonymous said...

I don't have a blog, but I think that if I did, I probably wouldn't let other people that I know read it. I'd write it to get away from them. I feel like the people I know judge me enough by my actions, I don't need them to read my personal thoughts too! It would be much nicer to share those thoughts with lovely people like you, who love to give advice about what's going on :)

D

Vikki said...

I can't wait to see what happens next!!!

As for the blog question, I told some people about my blog.

DDgirl said...

Hey Angela,

loved this post (as always hahahah)

My blog, is only for people I've never met and I'll never meet, and I guess you can imagine why... how about you?