Thursday, November 22, 2007

Family Moments

Zack was standing at the counter when I walked into the kitchen. “Would you like something to drink?” He asked me as he got a glass of juice for himself. I told him that I was ok. “Good,” he turned from the counter and took his normal place at the head of the table - I sat to his left, Natalie’s usual place to sit during meals.

“So Zack, why is it my turn?”

“Well,” he paused to take a sip from his glass. “I thought that you might have something to talk to you about too since your best friend and boyfriend have both needed something from me tonight.” He chuckled, “And here I thought I was going to have a nice relaxing evening with my wife.”

“I’m sorry,” I gave him a smile. “I didn’t know that Jordan was going to be here or that Josh would decide that he needed to talk to you tonight.” I sighed, “I don’t even know why either of them needed you.”

Zack nodded, he opened his mouth to speak when the kitchen door swung open and Natalie came flying into the room. “Mommy said to come kiss you good night daddy.” She exclaimed as she launched herself at my brother. “Mommy said that you’ll come up and tuck me in too!” She looked glanced shyly at me. “Aunt Anna can daddy come tuck me in now? I’m very sleepy.” For dramatic effect, Nat rubbed her eyes and yawned.

“Of course he can Nat but first,” I stood up and went to her. “I want kisses and loves!” Natalie wrapped her arms around my neck, giggling as I lifted her off Zack’s lap, hugging her tight before kissing her cheek.

“I love you Aunt Anna,” she whispered as I started to place her on the floor.

“Ohhh,” I sighed and squeezed her tight. “I love you too Natalie. So very much.”

Zack got to his feet, “I’m going to go do my daddy duties,” he told me as he swung Nat up in his arms. “Don’t go anywhere, I have some stuff I wish to say to you.” When I told him that I wasn’t going anywhere, Nat asked him if I was in trouble. Zack laughed, “Daddy doesn’t just talk to those who are in trouble Little Miss.”

“Ok daddy,” Natalie dropped her head onto Zack’s shoulder.

I was still smiling at the image of my brother and his little girl long after the kitchen door stopped swinging. I remembered being that little girl, all sleepy and safe in his arms as he carried me to my room to tuck me in. I envied my nieces, to know the love of their parents. I envied my sister in laws, to have the love of men who would walk through fire for them. But most of all I envied my brothers for having everything they could possibly want in life - a wonderful family.

I jumped as a hand dropped onto my shoulder. “Hey Babe,” Jordan sat down next to me. “I saw Zack leave with Nat, I thought I would check and see how you are doing.” He slipped his arm around my shoulders. “What did he want? Is he mad at something?” Jordan paused, looking at me as a crease appeared on his forehead as he frowned. “Babe are you ok? You look like you lost your best friend.” I chuckled and he poked my side. “I’m right here Anna, I’ll always be here.”

Tilting my head in his direction, my head let his and I sighed. “I know you’ll be there Jordy and no, I’m not in trouble, I don’t even know what it was Zack wanted. Nat came in wanting to be tucked in so he went to be daddy.”

Beside me Jordy chuckled. “What’s so funny?” I turned to him.

“Nothing,” he smiled. “I was just thinking, I know how that feels, to tuck your little girl in. God Anna!” If he was a chick, I swear he would’ve squealed. “I still can’t believe I have a daughter,” he slapped his hand against his chest. “I, Jordan Pollett, am a daddy, something I never thought would ever happen.”

Jordan was telling how he took Jenna to the zoo and how the monkies scared her when Zack came through the kitchen door. “SO Anna…” he stopped short when he saw us sitting together.
“Oh, Jordan, I thought you left a while ago.”

“I thought it would be ok if I hung out,” Jordan stood up and pushed in his chair. “I can disappear for a few minutes if you need to talk?”

Zack gave a quick nod as he sat down. When Jordan left the room, Zack shook his head. “I don’t get it Anna, I really don’t.”

“What don’t you get?”

“I don’t get why you two dance around this -”

“Zack! Don’t! I know what you are going to say and I don’t want to hear it. It’s not going to happen, I love Josh.”

“Yeeah about that.” Zack pulled his chair into the table and gazed thoughtfully at me for a moment.

“What are you thinking?”

“I’m wondering if I should tell you what Josh came to me for.”

I wanted to know, I really did but I wasn’t sure I wanted him to tell me. “I…ummm…hmmm…”

He raised a brow, “So you knew what he wanted to talk about?”

“No,” I shook my head. “I didn’t know. Jordan thinks he was asking for your permission to marry me or something. But I told him that…” I trailed off as Zack turned his head. “Zack?”

11 comments:

Mehreen said...

Anna I'm going to kill you! What did Jordy & Josh want, I NEED TO KNOW! (Happy American Thanksgiving!)

DDgirl said...

aaaaaaaaahhh Angela, you're going to kill me one of this days!!!!!!

Take care!

MonkeySpeak said...

I sort of understand how Anna feels. It's a little different for me but Im with an amazing guy who spoils me but at the same time brings my normally silver spooned butt down to earth, which i love (who really wants to be naive!). but suddenly, two weeks before my parents are set to meet him my mother keeps going off on some "i have the perfect guy for you" thing. drives me up a wall bc no matter how many times i tell her im not interested and i love who im with she keeps saying well lets keep him on the backburner (this other guy). it's annoying and makes me nervous to introduce them (i guess they have a small bias because he's from a different "world").

now bc i write long comments ;). i have one SMALL critique. Please know ang, i love your writing, i love these stories, i check back constantly for updates and i love the comment section too! this is literally just what i hope to be a constructive critism that the editor (i know you cant tell right now w/ my comments hahahaha) in me noticed. sometimes you use language and syntax that isn't natural... maybe it's just me. but i've never had anyone say "id wish to speak to you" (whatever it was...). it'd be, "i want to talk to you," or "i need to..." or maybe this is just one of those language barrier things? you use very romantic language that sometimes just doesnt seem realistic. PLEASE KNOW this was just an observation. love your writing. i know as a writer i had to take those little comments in stride and they helped me improve. dont be mad !!! :) i could care less about those rare spelling/grammar mistakes ;) thats just nit picky.

Anonymous said...

I wanna know! I wanna know! I wanna know! I wanna know!

(there)

Have a lovely weekend all!

Anonymous said...

WHAT IS IT?!?!? ..IM DYING OVER HERE!!LOL

Revee said...

I'm so torn...Josh or Jordan? I'm not sure who I'm rooting for. I'd like to see Anna give Jordan a chance but at the same time her and Josh are good for each other.

I just started reading and I love your blog. Can't wait for the next post!

Melissa Robinson said...

still team jordy! I dont like josh, I think he is the one who is immature, not anna!

Anonymous said...

Josh is the perfect guy! Jordy has done nothing but play with anna's mind! He had 23 years or something like that to tell her how he felt, but he waited till she was with someone she loved to tell her. He is a jerk who doesn't even deserve her friendship. If anna chooses jordy over josh she is stupid.

Nic said...

argh! What is it? I wanna know!!!!

Melissa Robinson said...

you should post today cause its my birthday!!!! WOOOOO

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY mlg6504!!!