Monday, November 12, 2007

Don't Forget Your Bags

A sound I had never heard in my life came from Josh when I threw, ‘Maybe that’s where I should be’, over my shoulder at him. His hand fell away from my arm within seconds and the realization that I was being a complete bitch settled over me.

This isn’t how tonight was supposed to go, I mentally kicked myself. We were supposed to be cuddling on the couch or in his bed now, not fighting about something that happened months ago – something that won’t happen again. I turned to look at him; he was staring at the floor in front of him, his arms over his chest as if he was trying to put up a wall around him.

“I have no desire to go see Jordan,” I told him as I moved towards him. “Josh I only told you the sleeping arrangements last night because I knew if I didn’t - and you found out from someone else - you would be really pissed. If I had a choice, if there was anywhere else I could’ve slept, that’s where I would’ve been.”

“You had a choice,” he said to the carpet at my feet.

I frowned, “How did I have a choice? The only other place I could’ve slept last night was in the bed with Mike and Eric, but that wasn’t an option.”

He finally lifted his head, the hurt and confused look in his eyes made me feel ten times worse than I did. ““You could’ve stayed home,” he told me.

“What?” I stared at him. “Stay home? You told me it was ok if I went!” I turned from him, upset that he was turning this around on me once again. “It’s not a crime to want to hang out with my friends! I’m tired of you making me feel guilty for wanting too. I’m going home,” I threw over my shoulder as I headed for the front door. “You know how to reach me when you want to see me.”

Josh remained in the living room the whole time it took me to pull my sneakers on and grab my jacket. With one hand on the dead bolt to unlock it, I turned to him. “Are you really going to let me walk out of here like this?” I didn’t want to leave; I wanted him to stop me. I wanted things to be good between us again, I hated arguing with him.

But he just stood there, watching me and inside my heart felt like it would explode from the pressure and the pain.

“I guess I’ll see you around,” I didn’t really feel that I would see him again if he let me walk out his door at that moment. I hesitated for a while longer, hoping he would make a move.

He didn’t.

I took a deep breath, wiped the tear that started to fall away from my cheek and turned, unlocking the dead bolt as I did.

“Don’t forget your bags,” he said when I opened his door. I turned to tell him I would get them later but he wasn’t standing in sight anymore.

Instead of quietly going to get the bags that I brought into his apartment with me earlier, I reacted like I always did. I don’t know why but it’s always been that way. “Did you want me to leave my key too?” I snapped at him as I stomped towards the living room where he had crossed over and now stood back on to me as he stared out the window. “And maybe your grandmother’s jewelry too so you can give them to someone you actually love and trust?”

Of course, I didn’t wait for his reply; I made my way to his room, cursing him and his lack of trust. But most of all, I was cursing myself for not being the woman he thought I was. The woman he wanted me to be.

“I can’t be someone I’m not!” I muttered as I grabbed at the stuff Jesse had pulled from the bags early. “I’m not perfect, I screw up but damn it I love you, you jerk.” I wanted to cry, frustration does that to me. “Go to Jordan? Oh please!” I continued my rant. “If I was the least bit interested in Jordan there would be nothing stopping me from being with him.” I shook my head, wiping away the angry tears that rolled down my cheeks as I rammed the last of my shopping back into the bag. “But no! I’m here and all he thinks is that I want to be else where? Grrrrr! Men!” I pushed off my knees and spun around to leave only to stumble backwards when I blindly walked into Josh’s hard body. “I’m going!” I snapped while moving to go around him.

He stopped me. Not by touching me, or by saying anything. No all it took for him to stop me was one look - one look that caused me to freeze in my tracks and stare up at him with a sense of hope.

He moved towards me, his hand sliding down my arm until his fingers grasped the handles of the shopping bags I just scooped up. He took then from me, dropping them onto the floor, spilling some of the items out once again. He didn’t say a word as he moved forward, the unreadable expression in his blue eyes made me back up until the back of my knees came up solid against his bed. He took another step forward, his hands on my shoulders as he forced me to sit down on his bed while he sunk to the floor in front of me and dropped his head in my lap.

I didn’t know what was going on, it didn’t make any sense that one minute he was telling me to leave and the next he was kneeling before me with his head on my lap while his hands were linked together behind me on the bed. There was so much I wanted to say to him, to tell him that he really has nothing to worry about when it came to Jordan but as I stared down at his dark hair all thoughts disappeared. My hand was shaking as I lifted it to his head, my fingers stroking deep through his thick hair. I grinned, my fingers playing with the curls that were starting to form at the base of his neck. “Honey you really need a hair cut,” I started to giggle as I spoke the random thought that I was thinking.

Josh slowly lifted his head off my lap, “I’m here trying to figure out a way to make you understand how I feel and you are thinking about my hair?” He sounded serious but the light in his eyes told another story, he thought it was funny.

“Well,” I smiled, my fingers still on the back of his neck. “It’s not very often that I see the back of your neck honey, I’m way too short for that.”

He laughed, his arms tightened around me. “I think you are perfect.”

I lowered my head when he said the word ‘perfect’. “I’m far from perfect Josh.”

“Yeah,” he agreed and then laughed when my head shot up. “No one is perfect Anna, everyone has their problems.”

I nodded, “True but we seem to have the same one over and over again.”

Josh lowered his head, not far enough to rest it on my lap again though. He stayed that way for a moment, his shoulders moving with every deep breath he took. When he finally looked up at me again, he sighed. “I want you to stay here tonight,” he told me. I went to smile and say ok but there was something in his eyes that stopped me. “You can sleep in here,” he continued. “I’ll sleep on the couch.”

“What?” I frowned. “Why Josh? Why don’t you want to be in the same bed with me?”

“Because I can’t think when you are curled up next to me Anna.”

“You say that like it’s a bad thing…”

“It is,” he told me. “When I need to think about what I want and how important it is to me for things to be a certain way, not being about to think is a bad thing.” His arms slipped out from around me and he leaned back on his heels. “I don’t want you to leave,” he told me. “But I need some space to think tonight.”

With that he got up, kissed my forehead and bid me good night.

Despite not having gotten much sleep the night before, I found myself wide awake an couple hours later. He may need space to think, I thought to myself. But I need him here beside me. I wanted to go to him; I needed to go to him. Everything in my mind and body screamed for him.

Screw thinking! I shoved back the covers and hopped out of bed to go be with him. I hope he had enough thinking...

21 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope that you are all having a great day...

Anonymous said...

Great post!

I am with Anna, I can't stand the thinking....I want answers and I want them now.

~M

Lynn said...

Great Post. Sometimes I can see myself doing the same things that Anna does. I'm with Mookie...I want answers and I want them now too!

Anonymous said...

You know what big fight means?

Steamy, make-up sex!! Woohoo!

Anonymous said...

You know, at first I was for Josh, then Jordan, I thought Josh was being unreasonable, controlling, etc. but when I put myself in his shoes, I really am siding with Josh, I don't blame him at all for what he's feeling. If the kiss didn't happen, then maybe he wouldn't be so upset right now. I think Anna needs to grow up. She is in an adult relationship now, and playing snuggle bunny with Jordan is not acceptable anymore. If she wants to have a mature adult relationship, she has to understand and respect Josh. Anna would be upset if Josh spent the night w/Carol or another woman, just look at how she reacted a few days ago, when Jesse said daddy kissed mommy. She almost freaked out. I don't think Anna is mature enough for this kind of relationship.

Anonymous said...

I definitely think they should try to work this out. Too many people just give up on their relationships when the going gets tough without really fighting FOR each other.

Carolyn

Vikki said...

I'm with Carolyn! It's clear that they LOVE eachother. Anyone can see that. I don't think they should give up just yet.

Anonymous said...

I agree with both Carolyn and Cinnie1016- Anna is not acting like someone should in an adult relationship, but they should fight to make it work. They obviously love eachother, but to me it seems Josh is the only one making changes to make the relationship work. Josh has reason to feel the way he does- not just because of what Anna did with Josh, but also what happened to him with Carol. I had some stuff happen in a past relationship, and my now husband had to be understanding to that for us to work. It took some time too. Like over a year for me to be able to be completely off guard with him and trust him, and he hadn't even given me reason to feel that way- like how anna did. I know this is fiction, but it does mirror things that happen in real relationships.
Becmig

Amie said...

I'm sorry, I know that Josh is hurt over her kiss with Jordan, but come one...it has been months! How long would you let your boyfriend punish you for a mistake??? And, i don't like the fact that he is trying to controll her by making her feel guilty spending time with anyone but him. He's older and more set in his ways. She is younger and still trying to figure things out. He needs to relax and quickly decide what he wants.

We all know that they love each other, it all comes down to whether or not he is willing to forgive and forget.

Anonymous said...

Welp, it's gonna be gushy gushy bullshit from now on. I love this blog, but I'm sick of Anna being so dependent on Josh. The story line seems that same, they get back together for a while, Anna screws up and they fight and then they make up for another short amount of time. Anna needs to grow a backbone and realize that life will go on without a guy. Josh obviously isn't bringing out the best in her, much rather the worse. While they shouldn't give up over a fight, if they continue to have the same fight over and over again then they need to give it up.

Anonymous said...

Anna is acting like a child, she wants an adult relationship, but still wants to behave like she wasn't in one and expects Josh to be ok with it. You can't have it both ways girl! Jordan seems to have the same level of maturity, they should try getting together!

MonkeySpeak said...

I agree - Anna doesn't seem to have a backbone. Seriously, if you are fighting, then leave. Give each other some space to breath. And if you can't be apart for one day, then you have some co-dependency issues. It is great to miss someone and fine, talk to them everyday - it's called a phone! But they both act like they are in high school. Even Josh. Same age difference with my guy and myself and we NEVER fight like this and yes, there are similar issues... We both have trust issues, don't live in the same town, and there still aren't blow-ups like this. We communicate we don't scream. And we get through each day just fine without being attached at the hip.

Both are dependant. Both need to grow up. I like josh and I like anna but they are both kids. And Josh isn't that much older. Sorry. Anna is 23? Josh is 30? Im telling you realistically, the age difference is not as big as you think - she should be at a similar maturity level as he is.

It's starting to get to the point where it's not what she did or didn't do or him trusting her or not. Its the fact that they can't talk to each other. I think they are infatuated, not in love. They never sit and talk, they jsut oogle each other. They don't have real conversations... they don't discuss or comprimise. Its eitehr Im over the hills in love with you or im screaming at you. dys-func-tion-al!!

The Middle Child said...

YOU.GO.GIRL!

Anonymous said...

Great post, although I was kind of hoping to see Anna walk out to get her point across. I don't think that Josh has fully forgiven her, and even if he's able to can he ever forget? I was in a relationship once with a cheater and everytime I saw him flirting or even just talking with other girls I couldn't help but feel jealous and suspicious. It's hard to control those kind of feelings.

J

Anonymous said...

they need to break up because they have not found a way to adequately deal with Anna's kiss with Jordan and until they do they can never be in a true committing relationship

Melissa Robinson said...

this post made me cry. my boy and i got in a fight last night that ended with me walking out and almost sleeping at a friends. we are ok now but it hurt so bad. I think Anna is right and Josh needs to forgive her and forget it. I agree too with who ever said anna needs more family time and time with other friends. we havent seen bella in forever! Good job by the way Angela, anyone who can inspire this much debate over fictional people rocks my face off!

Anonymous said...

Well I was team Josh, but after the the first couple of paragraphs on todays entry I changed my vote. I could not be with someone so controlling. Anna has her own life and interests, Jordan was around long before he was. I understand that he is still upset about the kiss, but come on it was months ago. If he has not been able to get over it by now, he never will.

Anonymous said...

Well I was team Josh, but after the the first couple of paragraphs on todays entry I changed my vote. I could not be with someone so controlling. Anna has her own life and interests, Jordan was around long before he was. I understand that he is still upset about the kiss, but come on it was months ago. If he has not been able to get over it by now, he never will.

Anonymous said...

My Mantra....i agree with you that they don't communicate well. You're right, it's either over the moon in love or fighting. But there's something to be said for all that passion

I still think underneath all that dysfunction, they truly love each other and that kind of over the moon love is worth really working hard for. It's not easy and it's not always fun, but it's worth it in the end.

Mehreen said...

I'm kind of over the Anna/Josh roller coaster. I feel like they've been having the Jordan fight for their entire relationship and it's getting old. Anna is acting childish, she should have walked out and given Josh space. Their inability to be apart 24-hours is half sweet, half psycho. I think Anna and Jordan have a good relationship because they already have the trust and friendship...all Anna has with Josh is lust.

Anonymous said...

Why I'm Team Jordan:
Jordan and Anna have FUN together.
They can talk about anything without it turning into a big production.
Josh is too damned needy.
I have more reasons........