Friday, November 16, 2007

Baby Blankets And Bestest Friends

Josh had made good on his word, he was shifting the blame of the kiss from me and working on his issues with trust and my friendship with Jordan. Since that morning he had made it a weekly ritual to spend Saturday mornings with Jordan while Jess and Jenna played together. Some mornings I got to go along with them, other mornings I was working so I got the run down on their day when I met up with Josh after work.

Everything seemed to be going wonderful in my life once again as June was coming to an end. I was looking forward to the next month, not only would I have more time with Josh because he wouldn’t be working but I also was starting my new position at work so my nights and weekends would be available for us to go out and do ‘couple’ things together – the first real ‘couple’ time we had since we started dating.

“You took your holidays for this coming week right?” Josh asked one night as we strolled hand in hand around the lake, we had just finished a delicious meal at Oasis, a ‘down home, home cooking’ ma and pa restaurant that was quickly becoming ‘our’ place.

“That’s right,” I nodded, “I’m not sure what I’m doing, I just had to take them now or lose them.” My anniversary date at work was the middle of July.

“Oh ok,” he smiled.

I waited a few minutes but he didn’t say anything else about it. “Josh?” I slowed down as I looked up at him. He raised a brow, still smiling. “Was there a reason you asked? Or were you just curious?”

“I was just curious,” he said and I, according to him, pouted. “Hey now,” he released my hand to curl his arm around my waist. “No pouting honey.”

“I didn’t realize I was,” I flashed him a smile.

“That’s better.” He nudged me forward as he changed the subject. “So how far along are you with the blanket you were making for Nick and Amy’s baby?”

“Oh I finished that one the other day, I was so excited, I wanted to run over and give it to them right away!”

Josh laughed, “Did you?”

I shook my head, “No, instead I called Jordan and talked for about forty minutes about how cute it was!”

“Better him than me,” he joked before asking me if he could see the finished product after our walk.

“Of course,” I told him. “But it’s at Zack’s; we’ll have to go there.”

“No problem,” he gave me a gentle squeeze. “There’s something I need to speak with Zack about anyway.”

“Ok,” I grinned. “Then I can show you the blanket I started for Chad’s baby!”

Josh thought for a moment before nodding. “Did they find out what they were having after? You said they have been flip flopping on that for a while now.”

“No they haven’t. Chad wants to know but Susan wants to wait until she can see with her own eyes, their son or daughter.” I chuckled, “Zack told Chad if he had another boy, he would kick him.”

“Oh God,” Josh laughed.

“Personally,” I continued. “I hope they have a boy, Conner can’t be the only boy in our family, he’s lonely enough as it is!”

“But he’s not the only boy,” Josh jumped in as soon as I finished. “Don’t forget about Jess, he’s a boy – the last time I checked anyway.”

“You check often, do you?” I poked him in the ribs. “I don’t believe it’ll change just like that Josh.”

“Ha ha,” Josh rolled his eyes as he chuckled. “You know what I meant!”

I did know what he meant but it kind of threw me a little when he said it, or at least it threw my heart for moment – it leapt at the thought that he thinks of my family as his. “Conner is excited about this weekend,” I told him. “He just can’t wait to have a ‘sleepover’ with Jess! He asked me just this morning how many sleeps it was before Jess would play with him – he said it was almost more fun than Christmas!”

“Jess is the same way,” Josh informed me. “Last night when I was one the phone with him, all he wanted to talk about was playing cars with his ‘bestest friend in the whole wide world’.” I snickered as Josh glanced at me from the corner of his eye, his lip twitched as he tried not to smile. “He said you said ‘bestest’ was the only way to describe friends, that it’s what you called Jordy and ‘if Baby’s daddy is Ama’s bestest friend, Conner can be Jesse’s bestest friend’.”

I rested my head back against his shoulder as I gazed up at him. “I’m so happy that Jesse has bestest friends,” I giggled.

Josh chuckled and shook his head, “What am I going to do with you?” He pressed his lips against my temple for a moment. “Ok,” he nudged me forward again. “Let’s head back to the car while we still have daylight.”

A half hour later Josh helped me into his car before running around the front and jumping in his side, “I love you,” he said quickly as he leaned over to plant a kiss on my cheek.

“I love you too,” I turned to him hoping to get a little more kissing in but he had already moved back into his seat and started the car.

He shifted the car into drive and stepped on the gas, spinning the tires in the dirt for a second before they took hold and propelled us forward.

“What’s the hurry?” I asked him as we jerked onto the road.

“I really want to see those blankets,” he said with a laugh.

20 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

I hope you are all having a great day!

I know that I haven't been 'grown up' or 'adult' every single moment of my past relationships and seriously, I don't believe that you can be that way all the time because people have feelings, things get misunderstood and when there is old hurts, it's even worse. Of course, I have 'grown' after each one of my past relationships and I think that's what matters - to learn from your mistakes.

I hope that everyone has a great weekend ~s~

Angela

Hadley said...

What does Josh have to speak to Anna's brother about? Could it be that Josh wants to ask for his blessing? I think a proposal is on the horizon now that the Jordan issue is worked out!

Anonymous said...

Angela,

That was a very "grown up" comment to make. Too bad more people don't think that way...

I don't comment all the time but I just wanted to say I love all your blogs!
Nicole

Anonymous said...

I completely agree that no one can be grown up all the time in any relationship. And most of us have "old hurts" from either ourselves or our significant others that we deal with. But I think that despite everything, Josh is a great guy. He is completely loving towards Anna, and he is an amazing father but he is as balanced as he can be about not letting either the father side or the relationship side dominate too much. Good post!
becmig

Anonymous said...

NO!!! He's going to propose! I heart Jordy!

Anonymous said...

I can't wait till the next post! Team Josh

Mehreen said...

Shoot, I see a proposal coming on as well and he asked about vacation for the honeymoon. I may be getting ahead of myself, I'm glad you gave us a month in the blog because I get confused since it's not in real time. I'm glad Josh worked out his Jordan issues, I'm just sad because I was team Jordan. If it's been a few weeks, are we going to learn about the results of Jordan's biopsy?

Anonymous said...

I don't think they are going to be getting married or having a honeymoon that quickly, but definitly I think he is going to take her on the trip that he was supposed to take her on a couple of months ago- was it around easter maybe? plus they are already kinda engaged already. She still has his grandma's ring that he gave her when he proposed sort of the first time. But I think a romantic weekend getaway would be good for them. Team Josh!

Vikki said...

I think Josh has something up his sleeves. What does he need to talk about with Zach? I can't wait to find out!!!

Melissa Robinson said...

i am still team jordy but I think Josh is good for anna. As dumb as it sounds, it Jordan I would want to date!

Anonymous said...

I'm not going to assume that all the issues are worked out with Jordan yet. We don't really know do we?

Anonymous said...

Did I miss something? What ever happened to Jordan's test result on the mole on his back? Does he have cancer or not? I assume by the time line of the last post that weeks have gone by, results should have been in by now. It would be nice to put some closure to this.

Anonymous said...

I think Angela's foreshadowing a car accident with Josh & Anna. Josh is in such a hurry and things have apparently been going well, so now we need some new conflict!

Just don't kill these characters off please, I love them like I know them!!

The Middle Child said...

Ha, he really wants to see those blankets? Or he really wants to get home and get anna on his blankets?

:)

Great post.

The Middle Child said...

Ohhhhhhhhh and I hope Hadley is right about what Josh is talking to her brother about... that would be SO SWEET!

Anonymous said...

i hope hadley's wrong. the worst thing anna and josh could do is get married. they can't make it through a month without an earth shattering fight that nearly ruins them. i can't really say they're rushing things, but they don't even really seem to know each other. anna knows that she thinks josh is good looking and sweet...but really, what else is there in their relationship then attraction and puppy love?

Sal said...

If he does propose I hope she has the common sense to say No. Was it not just 2 or 3 posts ago that they realized he was not ready to forget about the 'incident.' Yes he is going to talk to Jordan but he is still along way from being completely ok with it.

Maybe he just wants to talk to Zack about Carol & her husband or soemthing along those lines.

Anonymous said...

Am I missing something, a POST?

GG

Anonymous said...

...?

it's TUESDAY. i miss my posts!

amy said...

okay totally different subject - sorry to change it. does anyone know why tales of a transplanted bostonian went to invitation only? i see that even angela has it on her list of blogs she reads. i loved reading it, and don't think i ever posted and now it sucks not to be able to read anymore stories. she had a good style of writing.