Friday, October 12, 2007

Underneath The Facade

I was hoping that Mike would smarten up, go after Eric or at least call him but he didn’t. He was being a jerk, as far as I was concerned and nothing like the man I thought I loved a long time ago. It’s funny how things work out, I always held on to the hope that Mike really wasn’t gay and that he would come back to sweep me off my feet but if that happened, I wouldn’t be where I was with Josh, I wouldn’t be as happy as I was.

Mike came in the living room where the three of us were sitting, trying to ignore him because we weren’t happy with the way he left things with Eric. “Come on guys,” he sat on the coffee table in front of the sofa. “Is this what you came here for? To be mad at me all day?”

When neither one of us answered, he sighed. “You don’t know what’s going on with us and –”

“Well tell us,” I cut him off.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he snapped at me. “It’s between Eric and me,” he groaned. “We’ll work it out, but for now can the four of us have a little fun? And maybe a little breakfast?” He leaned back, rubbing his stomach. “I’m starving.”

The mention of breakfast got the boys attention, soon the three of them were tossing around places we could go but Jordan was still a little cranky, he didn’t want to drive anywhere. Even Mike and Nick’s offers to drive his truck were shot down with, ‘like hell I’m letting either of you drive my truck’, so they changed their conversation to what Mike had in the apartment to eat.

While the three of them argued about what they wanted, I sat there, not saying a word. At first I think I was still a little upset about Eric that I didn’t feel all that hungry but soon my stomach was growling and there was only one thing I wanted.

“Jordy?” I turned sideways towards him, drawing my feet up under me as I did so. He turned his head in my direction when I said his name, his eyes meeting mine, he didn’t say a word but the upward arc of his brow asked the question for him.

“Do you know what I’m hungry for?” I asked him. “Do you know what I’m craving right now?” I don’t know if he realized that he did it but the moment I stopped speaking, his eyes slid to my lips for a brief second, so brief, I would’ve missed it if I blinked.

“No,” he frowned. “I don’t know what you want Anna.”

A smile spread across my face as I wrapped my hands around his bicep and leaned into him, “You know when we were still living together and I got really sick? I couldn’t eat a damn thing for days?” He nodded slowly. “Well do you remember the first thing you made for me when I could eat again?”

“Yeah,” he laughed, “Jordy’s extra special, make Anna feel better, French toast.” I told him that was it. “Is that what you want?”

I nodded, “Yes, if you don’t mind making them, I think it’ll be great to have them again.”

In no time at all, the guys agreed that French toast sounded good. “If it’s ok, I’ll fry some bacon to go along with them,” Nick said to Mike as they all headed off to the kitchen.

A few minutes later, Mike returned to the living room. “There’s nothing for me to do,” he told me as he plopped down next to me, turning to me. “I was wondering - what was so ‘extra special’ about Jordan’s French toast?”

I made a show of looking around to make sure no one was around to hear what I was about to tell him and then I leaned into him. “Nothing,” I whispered. “I believe they were just normal French toast but it was the only thing I was able to keep down and Jordan was so happy; I called them ‘extra special’.”

Mike shook his head, laughing. “You know,” he said when he stopped. “I don’t know why you two didn’t get together; you two are good for each other.”

“Mike,” my smile disappeared when he said that.

“I know,” he held up his hands. “You are with Josh, who you love but…” he pulled his feet up on the couch, leaning his shoulder into the back of the sofa. “Between you and me, have you ever thought about Jordan like that? Being more than just your friend?”

I closed my eyes, sighing. “Mike you know all about the drama at the beginning of this year, why do you even have to bring all this back up? I’m with Josh and I love him, there’s nothing more to say on the matter.”

“Ahh,” Mike sighed, “I can hope, can’t I?”

“Hope for what?”

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “That my little brother finds a woman who he can be himself with, to live the rest of his life as happy as possible?”

“He has Bella Mike, it’s not like…” Mike gave me this look that made me stop. “He does, doesn’t he?” He shook his head. “What?” I jumped up straighter on the sofa, my brows drawn down in confusion. “There must be some mistake.”

Again Mike shook his head, “No Anna there isn’t. Jordan and Bella broke up…” he paused, he seemed to be thinking. “…about two weeks ago.”

“No friggin’ way!” I exclaimed. “But how…why…” I sunk back into the sofa. “Why didn’t he tell me?”

According to Mike, the only reason he knew was because he was razzing him about Bella. “He was getting mad, I thought it was all due to what I was saying but suddenly he snapped told me that Bella broke up with him before hanging up on me.”

I was shocked, I thought for sure that they were doing fine; Bella hadn’t given me any indication that there was anything wrong between them. In fact, it was only a couple days ago, before she left to go back to visit her brother, to help him pack his stuff so he could move down here, that I spoke to her, and she didn’t say anything when I mentioned getting together with her and Jordan when she got back.

“Did he say why?”

“No, I tried to get him to tell me what happened but he refused; told me to mind my own business.”

Nick called out to Mike at that point, so I didn’t get to ask him if Jordan said anything else, gave any hints as to what was going on.

I got off the sofa, wandered out to the kitchen where the boys where. I stood back, watching them as they joked around and I couldn’t help but wonder why he never told me.

And why I never knew until that day that there was something wrong with him. Wondering that made me curious if he was keeping anything else from me.

In the middle of my wondering, Jordan turned towards me, a plate piled high with French toast in his hand and a smile on his face.

“Come on babe, breakfast is ready.”

12 comments:

Anna said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

I hope your Friday is going great and that the weekend ahead treats you well!

I want to thank everyone for sharing your opinions and comments yesterday. I know no one is really interested in seeing the blogs end and honestly, I don't know if I'm ready to end them either. I just needed to share with all of you just how conflicted I am about things lately because if any one were to understand, it would be all of you.

I love Anna and Josh, Reed and Amber, Janie and Devon, and my little pervert Tanner and messed up Sara...their stories are always running around in my head, I couldn't stop if I wanted too ~l~

But with that being said, there are days that I hate them because their stories don't come out the way I want them too.

I guess, like everyone, I have off days and I think I needed - and this is going to sound stupid - reasurance from all of you that it's ok if I don't post everyday or if I need a break some time.

I started with the idea that they wouldn't end...like life, they would continue...like a journal, the thoughts would always occur. I know that was very unrealistic of me...I don't know how things are going to go...right now, I'm still posting as usual and I will give you all fair warning if I decide to wrap up a blog.

Thank you all for your kind words, thought provoking comments and great discussion.

The best readers ever, that's what you are all to me. And I'd hug every single one of you, if it wouldn't seem strange to have some chick you didn't even know come up and hug you ~l~

Have a great weekend everyone!

Oh! And I really want to know who called me 'sweetheart' ~l~

Anonymous said...

I just want to say "thank you" for taking the time to do these blogs. I look forward to them everyday. You are a very talented writer. As far as the stories not going the way you want all the time, I think that's a good thing. Life doesn't always go the way we want either, so it makes it more realistic.

That being said, I have only one complaint on these blogs....the darn cliffhangers everyday!! lol...I love them but hate them because I have absolutely no patience and I want to know what will happen next!! Seriously, you are rated an A++++ writer in my book.

Thanks so much again!!

Anonymous said...

Angela!

Of course it's okay if you don't post every day!! And if you decide to write one day, and you look at the post on Word, and decide, I'm not sure it's the way I want it, then don't post it, and come back to it another time! We'll all be around, and we won't leave you! You've got us all addicted to these blogs. We love Anna, Josh, Reed, Amber, Janie, Devon, pervert Tanner, and screwed up Sara probably close to as much as you do. Or, I do at least.

I comment once in a while, but not very often. Most of the time I just enjoy reading your blogs and thinking about them. But I felt maybe this would be a good time to just say thank you for giving me something to look forward to on the bad days, and something to make the bright days that much brighter. (I just noticed someone beat me to it, but I'm going to say it anyway!)

I wouldn't feel strange getting a hug from you, because in a way, I feel maybe we've gotten to know you through your blogs in a way you may not have expected.

Have a great weekend Angela!

D

Anonymous said...

I haven't commented in a while and just wanted to say that i still love all your blogs. You are very talented and I hope that the day never has to come that you stop writing. But that is totally unrealistic! At any rate I just want to say thank you so much for doing what you do.
Have a fantastic weekend:)
L

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure how your writing process works but maybe instead of trying to write a new post everyday you could keep some back up ones on hand for those days you don't feel like writing. Say, for example, you are on a hot streak one day and write a huge post. Maybe instead of posting all of that you could save part of it for the next day and not have to write if you don't feel like it. I think trying to come up with new posts 5 days a week is too much. Next time when you're feeling extra creative/motivated write as much as you can and then only post a portion of it. It may take some of the pressure off you so that writing becomes enjoyable again.

Anonymous said...

I must say that you have totally spoiled us with the every day posts! I know that is a very ambitious goal...and we can probably adjust (if we have to!) to not getting them every day or every other day! Whatever works for you! Thanks,

Stacey

Vikki said...

Hmmm, I wonder what's going on!! This should be good!! Can't wait to read the next post.

I must say, I agree with everyone before me. We'll adjust, I won't even do the jedi mind trick on you anymore ~s~

Anonymous said...

It's completely understandable if you need to wrap up a blog. It can't go on forever, indefinetely. Writing 3 blogs has got to be very time consuming and there will be others. Mady is gone and of course What My Heart Desires is finished so dont feel bad if you want to wrap something up. It's been great reading tho and good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

Sorry if i weirded you out by calling you sweetheart lol ...
I just apply it to people who I feel are nice, sweet, kind-hearted, like urself who give generously and selflessly (all 3 blogs!!!almost everyday!) who dont expect anything else in return...a remarkable person who is one of a kind...and thats why I called you sweetheart:)

from a fellow canadian,
J

Anna said...

J - well you are a little mistaken, I do expect something...lots of comments, good or bad ~g~

~l~ thanks for that Vikki, the Jedi mind trick should only be used in emergencies

Stacey, I like to spoil people who have been so good to me all this time ~s~

Ashley that's a great idea - I've done it before - the only problem was, I got too excited to share with everyone, I ended up double posting and had to start over again ~l~

L - it's good to hear from you whenever you have time to comment...I'll always be here to read what is said ~s~

I'm so hugging 'D' whenever I find out who they are and happen to be in that neck of the woods...consider this a warning ~l~

Anonymous (10-12-07 1:24pm) repeat after me...'cliffhangers are good, patience is a virtue, cliffhangers are our friends' ~l~ Ok, so maybe they aren't our friends but they do have their uses ~g~

Hmmm...Anonymous (10-13-07 8:36pm)...is it just me, or was that a farewell comment?

Anonymous said...

i don't think mady has gone, i think she just lost her page by accident. is tgis the one your talking about?

thatlittleblondgirl-krissi81.blogspot.com

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth or(Anon 10:15, 5:40 AM)Mady posted a comment over in Redbook Diary of E blog that she is quitting for a while. She didn't know when she would be back.