Monday, August 13, 2007

There Was Always Love

Josh and I walked hand in hand into the kitchen. I don’t think anyone was expecting to see Josh with me, let alone see his hand wrapped around mine or the protective look he had on his face.

Both my brothers and their wives were sitting around the kitchen table, the remains of their breakfast sat in front of them as they stared at us. “What’s going on?” I asked as I glanced from one surprised face to another until Zack cleared his throat and then my gaze rested on him but he was looking at Josh. I couldn’t tell what was going through his head but he didn’t look too happy to see Josh with me.

“Thank you for seeing Anna home,” Zack said almost dismissively to Josh, as if he wanted him to leave.

“No problem,” Josh replied but he didn’t move; he stood firm at my side.

“What’s going on?” I repeated. “Why is everyone here?”

“We’ll get to that in a minute,” Zack said before turning to Josh. “Don’t you have to get to work?”

Josh shrugged, “Eventually.”

Zack took a sip of his orange juice, glanced at Mary and then stood up slowly to make his way over to where Josh and I stood. “I think now would be a good time to head off to work,” he stood a mere foot away from Josh when he said that.

“Do you?” Josh raised a brow at Zack. “Funny, I don’t think this would be a good time to do that, in fact, I think I should stick around for a while; my first class isn’t until 10, I have lots of time.”

I started to get this strange feeling in the pit of my stomach. Are you kidding me? Is Zack really pulling his crap today? What the hell is going on? And whoa! What’s with the attitude from Josh? I thought they were friends?

“What are you trying to pull?” Zack snapped at Josh. “You think you can be a complete ass? Put my sister through the spin cycle for the last couple months and we are supposed to just sit back and say nothing? No fucking way!” Zack grabbed hold of Josh’s jacket and got in his face. “It doesn’t work that way!”

“Zack!” I went to move towards them but Zack shot me a look that made me freeze in mid motion.

“I’m not trying to pull anything,” Josh replied calmly as he shook free from Zack’s grip. “Do you think I’ve enjoyed these last couple months? Do you think it was my idea?”

“Why yes I do!” Zack glared at him. “I don’t recall hearing Anna say once that she wanted to be ‘friends’ with you! Friends? What the hell was that?”
That,” Josh snapped. “Was me trying to deal with the fact that…” Josh sighed. “You know what? I don’t have to explain myself to you! The only one who has any right to question me is Anna.”

“Oh?” Zack step back with a comical expression on his face. “You think I have no right to question your intentions towards my sister?”

“I never said that,” Josh snapped.

“No?” Zack glanced over his shoulder towards the table. “That is what he just said, isn’t it? I’m not going crazy, am I?” There was a chorus of no’s so Zack turned back to Josh. “Everyone heard the same thing I did. So how is it that you didn’t say it?”

“You know damn well what I meant!”

“Do I?”

Josh didn’t reply he was glaring at Zack; his jaw was clenched so tight, I thought he would break a tooth or two.

“Why are you doing this Zack?” My voice broke as I asked, I was really upset.

Zack took his time breaking off from the glaring contest that he was having with Josh. Slowly he turned his head to look at me. “Because I can,” he told me.

“What?” I stared at him. “Because you can? Are you out of your mind?” I flew at him and punched him in the chest. “This was a good morning!” I cried. “Josh and I got back together, I was on cloud nine! I couldn’t wait to tell all of you and you have to pull this crap? Why do you always have to crap all over my happiness? I hate you!” I turned away from Zack, I wanted to get out of there but Josh wouldn’t let me. “I want to go,” I told him but he wasn’t looking at me.

I turned to see what he was looking at and immediately felt like the world’s worst two year old when I say the hurt look on Zack’s face. “Zack I…” I went to reach out and touch him but he shrugged me off.

“No it’s ok.” He didn’t even look at me. “Hate me. It’s not like I have your best interests in mind or anything. It’s not like I was there when you were crying your heart out because he wasn’t around anymore. It’s not like my heart wasn’t breaking for you these last couple months.”

“Zack please…”

“No,” Zack turned away from me. “Hate me Anna,” he continued as he went over to give Mary a kiss on the cheek and grab his jacket. He came towards me and finally he looked at me. “All I ever do is crap all over your happiness anyway, what does it matter if you hate me or not?”

I went after him as he stalked towards the front door but he ignored me. I tried to get him to stop and talk to me but he wouldn’t.

When he opened the front door, he turned for a second to look at me and I thought he would say something to me but he stepped through the doorway and slammed the door behind him.

I know it sounds crazy but Zack leaving that morning left me with the same feeling I had the day I realized that my dad wasn’t coming home again.

25 comments:

Anna said...

Good Morning Everyone!

I don't know if I'm getting mushy in my 'old' age (I know I'm not old but anyway) or if the combination of writing the end of this post and listening to the song 'Daddy's Hands' by Holly Dunn just got to me enough to make me want to cry...~l~ Or maybe I'm just going crazy!

Sorry about the no post yesterday, I just couldn't get in the mood to post...nothing sounded good at all.

As always, I can't wait to hear from you all and wish you have a great day!

The Middle Child said...

DAMNIT! I wish Anna would just think about what she says before she says it!!!

Carmel Beauty said...

I agree middle child she needs to realize that words hurt.

Anonymous said...

I keep telling myself this is fiction, but Anna needs to start behaving like an adult! Saying "I hate you" to your brother is something a 10-year-old would say.

Anonymous said...

Something just doesn't make sense to me. They clearly had something they were planning on saying to Anna based on the fact that they called her by her full name the minute she entered the door. How did having Josh with her change the entire conversation to a stare down with Josh? What was it that they had intended to say to her before they knew that Josh was there?

Anonymous said...

I think Anna needs to say that last line to Zack :that when he left, it was the same feeling as when she knew her dad wasn't coming home.

Nobody knows how to hurt each other quite like family does. Why were they all so pissed in the first place? Is it because she didn't call to say she wasn't coming home?

Maybe it's time for Anna to get her own place. If she could afford to split rent on a HOUSE, surely she can afford an apartment by herself. That way she doesn't have to answer for her whereabouts to her family. She and Josh can have some privacy. And nothing forces growing up like having to live completely on your own.

Anonymous said...

I agree that Anna shouldn't have said what she said but her family is being a little rediculous. Why did her whole family have to be there? That's only going to make her feel trapped and ganged up on. They may think they have her best interests in mind but she is an adult now. She is fully capable of figuring out what she wants and needs.

As for Josh stringing her along, I don't think he did. I have been cheated on and it is a long, hard process to forgiving the person. Some days you feel like everything is back to normal and your relationship is great again. Other times you can't get what they did out of your head and you can't see how you would ever get back into a relationship with them. Its not a fun process for anyone involved but most people don't do it to try to hurt the other person. Its just the way they genuinely feel.

Vikki said...

I agree with Anon 11:18 and Ashley. Yes she hurt Zach, but yelling at the man she loves hurt her too. Sometimes family can do you worse than strangers. They may not mean it, but it happens. Maybe Anna does need her own place.

GREAT POST!!

Vikki said...

And as Anon 11:14 asked, what was with the family meeting??

Anonymous said...

okay here is my take:

maybe Josh and Zach have to put up a front with eachother because of the investigation with his ex-wife and her husband. Just a thought. If that is the case, it makes the whole blowup with Zach that much worse. They may have been putting on a show so that everyone won't suspect something. Still, Anna should go and apologize to Zach immediately. She should let him what it felt like when he walked away.

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

Oh! what an awful thing to say to zack!
i remember a post where zack wanted to give anna everything for christmas , so he got her a car and a computer and got in to a fight with mary for it because they couldn't really afford both......

but hmm.. did zack really need to act like that??

Anonymous said...

Ouch.

Anna should not have said "I hate you" to Zack, but he on the other hand should have knonw that she would feel ganged up on and ESPECIALLY that she would be really defensive where Josh is concerned.

Both of them owe apologies all around.

Anonymous said...

I really don't understand why Zach was so angry with Josh? I mean he has to realize that Josh was going through a lot after Anna cheated on him - him and Mary even said that Anna would have to be understanding of that. I want to know what else that was about!!!

Anonymous said...

Also why did Josh have an attitude...I mean if it really was a family meeting and personal and Zach asked him to leave then he didn't really have a right to stay like that.

Anonymous said...

What is the song Daddy's Hands? I don't think I could listen to it either without crying.

Great posts. I can totally see where Zach is coming from. He's trying to be protective, but he went around it the wrong way. He should not have gotten up in Josh's face, and Josh should have left to let them talk alone.

Anonymous said...

I also thought this had something to do with the investigation. Although Josh doesn't know anything about Carol possibly working with Zack. A is always leaving us guessing, and I love how the comment section gets going.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Considering they lost their parents at a young age, I think they all just panick (sp?) when Anna did show up at either's house or call to let them know she was okay, after she moved out of Jordans she's never not let them know where she was and they might have jumped to conclusions thinking she was hurt somewhere. When she got home happy as a clam, emotions just got the best of Zack... but I don't get why Josh was so defensive, he should have left when asked, or at least went to the other room he would be really worried/furious if/when Jesse does something like that (of course when he's WAY older)!

Anonymous said...

I can't see the whole family being there just because Anna didn't come home that night. She has a cell phone, they knew she was with Josh, why didn't they try calling her? Maybe there is something else going on? Maybe Carols husband (whats his name) did something crazy like murder her or burn down their house, or they were involved in an accident and since the bodies maybe haven't been identified yet they may have thought it was Anna and Josh?? But then again, why didn't they call her cell or even to Joshs house? Long shot, but who know? Thats what I love about fiction - it can go just about anywhere.

Anonymous said...

Josh's attitude was WAY uncalled for. What right does he have to stay in a family meeting? Because he's with Anna? That's a pretty weak reason.. They JUST got back together, so it's not like he's "part of the family." Anna siding with Josh wasn't so great either... Sometimes those two (as good as they are together) need to realize they have relationships outside of theirs.

MonkeySpeak said...

I think it was fine for Josh to stay. I think he knew what was going on and Anna was basically attacked. Her family two faced her.

I guess I just understand Anna's situation. It isn't easy to be excited about something and then have the people you love jump down your throat. You need people to be there for you sometimes when you are hurting but to jump down your throat and lecture you and treat you like you are 12 is unacceptable. Especially when you are in your mid 20s. And it is inappropriate for them to call a FAMILY MEETING to discuss Anna's love life. It is great that it tore Zack up to watch her hurt, and it's sad that she said what she said - she wasn't thinking and ACTED like a 12-year-old, but she was put in that position at the same time.

If Zack was nervous, he should have spoken with her one-to-one and he should not have told her to "get in here now" as if she were his daughter. He acted like a jerk and making everyone gang up on her was even worse. Especially when they ALLLLLL told her it woul dbe ok and that they knew she would get back wtih Josh

Anonymous said...

i think that, although zach isn't anna's dad, she pretty much puts him in the position to be. he buys her all those things when she was a teenager and takes care of her all this time; she comes and stays at his house when she has no where to go and idolizes him like a girl would her father.. and then gets all kinds of bent out of shape when zack acts like a father. if anna wants to be respected, she needs to issue some respect out first. if i was anna's family i definately wouldn't have called a FAMILY MEETING and GANGED UP ON HER but i'm pretty sure that her just going out all night, not telling anyone when she was coming back and just not showing up with no calls or anything the next morning hand in hand with this man who we've seen tear her in pieces [whether or not it was her own fault..] on more than one occasion would have gotten quite a reaction out of me, too.

Anonymous said...

i forgot to mention this! if anna was acting responsibly, she would have called zack the minute she didn't call the cab and just said 'i'm staying the night at joshs' because 1. he's been drinking and 2. because it's very late anyways.' and then maybe she could have pulled the cab story on zack too.. haha =]

ctiger said...

Wow that was intense. There has to be something more then her just not coming home that night to have all the family there waiting on her. What is up with that. But i don't think that Zach or Josh should have acted like that. And Anna shouldn't have said that to Zach. What if something bad happens to him out in the field? She wouldn't have the chance to take it back. Never leave family mad.

Chris

Anonymous said...

Grow up, Anna.
I agree with Donna, she puts him in the position of a parent when she feels like it, and retreats from it when she feels like it too.

Anonymous said...

good post:D..
i feel so bad for zach:( ..to hear that someone who u care so much for 'hates you' will hurt no matter if she meant it or not ...and anna should have realized that...she owes him an apology and i wanna noe what the original 'family meeting' was for...
maybe if it wasnt such a big deal why didnt josh just leave....i mean shes around family...y couldnt he just leave?... not that i dont like josh but i mean if its such a big deal to zach why not back off?!?!