Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Patching Things Up With Zack

Neither one of us said anything at first. He was sitting on my bed, with one leg curled under him, staring down at me, wearing the pjs that I gave him a couple years ago for his birthday. Even in the early morning light I could tell there were no emotions showing on his face; he didn’t smile but he wasn’t frowning either. He was just sitting there watching me. “Zack?” I pressed my hands flat against my mattress and pushed myself up into a sitting position. Rubbing my eyes, I asked him if everything was ok.

But instead of answering my question he asks me one. “Do you know how often I watched you sleep when you were younger?”

“No,” I shook my head. “I didn’t know you watched me at all; I know you watched the girls sometimes when they were not feeling good.” I gave him a weary smile and he returned it, sort of. “When did you watch me Zack?”

“The first couple months after mom and dad died, you were always having nightmares and calling out for them,” he shifted his position on my bed, bringing his other leg up and resting his foot flat against my mattress. “You would always end up in bed with Mary and me; either we’d bring you out because you were scared or I would wake up to find that you snuck in while we were sleeping. Those nights I often laid there watching you sleep, you looked so peaceful but I knew it would only be a matter of time before you started calling out in your sleep.”

It was true, I did have horrible nightmares just after my parents died, a lot of them were of my parents leaving and never coming back, so they were true to life. Some were that I had a real hand in my parents’ death but the worst ones were when I dreamt that Zack and Mary decided that they didn’t want me anymore and I was sent away; those dreams still scare the crap out of me to this day.

“I didn’t sleep that well for the longest time,” he told me. “I didn’t know what I was doing, I didn’t know if I could handle being your guardian when I didn’t even know how to help you through the pain you felt.” He reached out and took my hand in his. “You were blaming yourself for their death and you wouldn’t listen to me or Mary when we told you that it wasn’t your fault. You withdrew from everyone, you weren’t the happy little girl that I knew and it scared the shit out of me Anna.”

“So I stay awake watching you sleep wondering how I was going to help you be a happy little girl again.” Zack sighed and then laughed. “I bet you are wondering why I’m telling you this.”

“Well yes,” I said hesitantly. “I don’t really know what this has to do with…”

“Me being mad at you?” He finished for me and I nodded. “I know it doesn’t make sense Anna, you don’t see why I got upset. Hell! Even Mary doesn’t see why I acted the way I did but I couldn’t help it.”

“Care to explain it?”

Zack nodded, “I think I should.”

“Ok but before you do, I want you to know I really didn’t mean what I said. I was just…well.” I sighed. “I didn’t expect all of you to be waiting for me when I got there, I wasn’t expecting you to be mad and I certainly wasn’t expecting the tension between you and Josh. What the heck was that? I thought you guys were friends?”

Once again, Zack nodded. “We are Anna, nothing had changed there. I don’t have anything against him, I don’t mind that you are dating him but I have to tell you,” Zack shook his head angrily. “This morning I wanted to rip his head off.”

“But why? If you are ok with Josh, why would you act that way?”

“Because I’m your brother?” He offered. “Because I’ve been the guy who was given the job to watch over you? Or maybe just because I watched you go from being really happy when you first started dating him, to withdrawing into that same state you were in after our parents died. I was so worried about you Anna. You have no idea how much I wanted to kick his ass for that.”

“It wasn’t his fault Zack!” I sat forward and stared at him. “I was the one who caused it! I was the one who hurt him by kissing Jordan. What did you expect him to do? Pretend it didn’t happen? Look past the fact that he was hurting because I betrayed his trust?”

“I think he should’ve given you a chance to explain when it happened!” Zack snapped at me. “I think he could’ve told you that he needed a couple days to deal with it and then let you know if he could work past it or not. I don’t like the fact that he just walked out, telling you he would ‘erase you’ if he could! That was low Anna! You don’t say shit like that to someone you love, no matter what they did.” Zack was fuming when he reached the end of that sentence. “Erase you? I can’t believe he said that and seeing him walk in the kitchen with you this morning, with that smile on his face, all I could think about what that comment. I didn’t want to see you go through that again.”

“But we were working it out,” I told him. “You knew we were seeing each other and trying to make it back to where we were. I told you that he wanted to start over again, he wanted to be with me.”

“Yes,” Zack sighed. “You did say that but how do I know that he isn’t going to pull that shit again? When you first started talking to him again, you were on cloud nine, you thought he was taking you back and then he started with the starting over crap again. You were crushed and I could see it Anna, no matter how hard you tried to hide it.”

“But things are better now,” I smiled at him. “Josh and I are back together.”

“Yeah,” Zack glanced away for a second. “Mary told me what happened after I left.”

“Zack please be happy for me, this is what I want. I hated not being with him.”

“I know but I don’t want you to get your hopes up and rush into this, only to end up right back where you started from. I told you in the beginning that it was going to be difficult to have a relationship with Josh because of his work commitments and Jesse. I just don’t want to see you stuck in a situation where you don’t think you can be yourself or get out if you need too.”

“I won’t be stuck,” I told him confidently.

“No?” He raised a brow in my direction. “Why’s that?”

I smiled. “Because I know that you’ll always be there to help me, I don’t even have to ask most times.”

Finally Zack gave me an honest to goodness, ear to ear smile. “Come here you pain in the ass.”

I leaped up on my knees and threw my arms around his neck. “I love you Zacky.”

“Anna!” Zack groaned, he hated it when I called him that. “I love you too sis.”

I felt a million times better as he hugged me tight.

“I guess I should go see if I can get a couple hours of sleep before my other little monsters are awake,” Zack told me when he moved off my bed. “I’m supposed to spend the day with them so Mary can clean more.”

“Don’t remind me,” I groaned and fell back against my bed, I was still sore from the day before. “Mary wants to tackle the garage today, did you know that?”

Zack just laughed, “I offered to help but she told me I would just get in the way.” I told him I wouldn’t laugh too hard; Mary cleaning normally meant she would find some stuff for the ‘honey-do’ list. He pointed his finger at me and gave me a stern look, “Don’t go giving her any ideas!”

I just laughed as he headed for the door. When he went to pass through the doorway, I called out to him. “Zack?” I pushed back my blankets and jumped out of bed as he turned and said what. “You know when you stormed out of Chad’s yesterday?” He nodded, of course he knew. “Well I know this is going to sound crazy but,” I frowned as I stared up at him, searching for the words to explain what I felt. “I had the same feeling at that moment as I did when I finally realized that mom and dad weren’t coming home.” He started to say something but I continued. “I never ever want to feel that way again, I don’t know how I would handle it if you never came home and the last words I said to you were, ‘I hate you’.”

“Oh God Anna,” Zack grabbed me by the shoulders and pulled me into his arms. “You can’t think like that, if you do you’ll drive yourself crazy.”

“I just meant that I…” I took a breath in hopes to calm myself enough to say what I was thinking without crying. “You are more than just a brother to me Zack, losing you would hurt just as much as losing mom and dad.”

“Damn Anna,” Zack hugged me tighter as he closed his eyes to hide his emotions from me. “You’ll never lose me,” his voice was a little shaky as he spoke. “I’ll be here to walk you down the aisle, I’ll be here to see the joy on your face when you hold your first baby, and I’ll be here for all the other important life events Anna. Don’t worry about that.”

“You are a great dad Zack, to the girls and to me. I’m really glad that you stepped up and took me in when I needed you. I don’t know where I’d be if you weren’t there for me my whole life.”

Zack was too choked up to say anything; he just hugged me even tighter, which I didn’t think was even possible.

I was very happy that I got to say what I was thinking to him that morning; it needed to be said. I made a promise to myself as he squeezed the bejesus out of me that I would try to never say or do anything stupid to hurt him again. He gave me so much and I for that I was very grateful.

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW...that was awesome, I am so choked up right now, it's not even funny!! You are an awesome writer!!

GG

Anonymous said...

MAN GIRL YOU GOT ME CRYING AND IM AT WRK..:) THT WAS REALLY GOOD, YOU ARE SUCH A TALENTED WRITER, KEEP IT UP....I LOVE YOUR BLOGS!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that post made me cry, and I am at work too :-)

That was awesome. I am glad that they made up.

Anonymous said...

Great entry. I too almost cried. I'm glad they made up. Its a difficult situation when you have to consider the loss of both parents at the same time, and then for him to become both brother and father for her.

Lynn said...

I'm still wiping the tears. You are an awsome writer.

Anonymous said...

I'm also at work and crying! I can't believe how this post got to me!

The Middle Child said...

I'm in kind of a melancholy mood today and have already cried once or twice over personal stuff... Now I read this and am fighting back the tears.
Nice post!

MonkeySpeak said...

so sad!!! poor zack. that was awesome that he explained things to her. helped her understand! and that he is trying to understand her side. and how protective he is being, and not as a father figure but as a brother... cuz that is something a brother would do, not a father.

heck, my brother is younger, and totally quiet and introverted but i brought this guy home that he didnt like and apparently they almost got into a fist fight because he told him hed never be good enough for me!!! i was pissed at the time but my bro was right. :) gotta love brothers. no matter how much they piss you off

ctiger said...

again i am emotional. I cried too. Great post. Thank you for sharing your writing with us.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I am crying at work too!! Great post.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

you got me too!!!! beautiful post!!

PCS said...

aaww soooooo sweet! it got me all choked up!!!

PCS said...

Apparently you got to everyone's emotions today!!

Vikki said...

I'm so glad they told eachother how they REALLY felt. You never know when you might lose a family member, as they have already learned. And I'm glad Anna is going to try not to say hurtful things out of anger. Yay for the teaching moment!

Good post, no GREAT post!

Anonymous said...

awww fantastic post...and not being one out of the ordinary..i teared up too:D...love the relationship that zach and anna have! its so sweet!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

My good news---the waterproof mascara I bought last week really IS waterproof (thank goodnes, cuz I'm at work, too!). I feel the need to call my lil brother right now and tell him how important he is to me.....GREAT POST!!!

Anonymous said...

Great post and unbelievable emotion that you conveyed. Loved it and it really shows the depth of your talent.
L

Anonymous said...

Sniff, Sniff - I am too teary eyed to talk.

~M

Thanks Anna...

Anonymous said...

Awwww, so sweet it makes your teeth hurt!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm just catching up with the last couple of posts. This one is so simple but probably one of my favorites.

Another one bites the dust, Angela...I'm at work and teary!

Amber said...

Wow I totally meant to make you all cry! ~l~ I'm happy it worked because otherwise I would think I suck at this writing thing...~g~

So the last anoymous comment - the one at 8:43 this morning - makes me wonder, so I have a question or two for all my favorite readers - meaning every single one of you who take the time to read my blogs!

What are your favorite entries from either of my blogs? What entry brought you to tears? Made you mad? Or make you happy? Do you go back and read any entries over and over again? Favorites people, that's what I would like to know...please share! I'll be writing and checking back to see what you are all saying!

Angela

Jaiden said...

That was a great post. I got all teary eyed. Keep up the great writing!

Lynn said...

Amber,
I couldn't pick a favorite post, I definately go back and reread prior post, especially if I am waiting on a new post - plus sometimes I read too fast and miss things or inject things, so it is always good to go back and reread once my emotions settle. I can't pick a favorite character it changes daily with what is going on at that time, and what is happening in my life.

Along this path said...

I don't think I have ever gone back and re-read a post (Just like I won't read a book twice), but one that stuck out in my mind as I was reading your questions was the Post from Jesse's birthday party...so sweet. You know Josh has to be thinking "Mommy material" when he sees Anna with kids. Thank you for posting so regularly - I love it!

MH

The Middle Child said...

Definitely the post from Jesse's birthday, that one rocked... and on the other blog I would have to say most recently it was the one where she told him she was moving in, I liked that one...

I actually printed out the first few months of this blog so I could read it at home.... I do go back and re read posts... although I did today... even before I saw your comment.... but normally I don't. I have checked back here like 50 times today to see if anything new was up yet.

MonkeySpeak said...

weird as it might be i liked the post where penny freaks out!

i loved how she freaked hahahaha

im evil i guess

MonkeySpeak said...

weird as it might be i liked the post where penny freaks out!

i loved how she freaked hahahaha

im evil i guess

ctiger said...

I definatly have to say that this one tops my list. I love the realationship Zach and Anna have. The one to make me mad was the one where anna kissed Jordan and Josh said "i would earse you if i could". The hot and steamy ones are great two. Sometimes i go back and re-read something after i have read comments and thought i missed something. And if i am waiting for a new post. Thank you for sharing.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I think my favorite entries on both of your blogs are the entries that capture my heart and make my heart beat a bit faster with anticipation and emotion all wrapped up in one CRAZY emotion, there are so many good things in both of your blogs that I am truly addicted I to both of them, like many of your readers are. I check both of your blogs constantly at least 50 times a day, and it's harder on me since I get to work by 7am Houston time and your just getting off from work at that time. I am also very fortunate that I get to read you on the weekends as well.

I love both the blogs equally, one day I love one more than the other it just depends on where the story is. I think that you know by now, that I love both of your main characters and their significant others, I've even offered myself to them a time or two (no takers, DARN). I especially love the double post days, you ROCK!!

Thanks for the great blogs and I hope that you continue to write for many, many years to come!!

YOUR DEVOTED BLOG READER
GG

Anonymous said...

I agree with Gator - the one where Penny freaks out. I think I'm evil too cuz I like the drama-suspense filled entries on both. I guess that matches my reading style tho, for every 4-5 Suspense/Thrillers I read, all read a romancy-ish one.

Stacey

Anna said...

Hey Everyone!

Just letting you know that the post for this blog won't be up until later...maybe tonight sometime. I have a family thing I have to go to today that I sorta forgot about...oops!

Hope you are all having a great day! I'll see you all later!

Anonymous said...

thanks for the heads up ...now i dont have to check every 2 minutes lol

Anonymous said...

I like one of the posts from the beginning that tells how Anna and Josh met and he started calling her Beautiful. I love any posts with Jesse.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

I love the post where Josh and Anna run into each other at the chinese place, and she runs into the mens washroom!