Friday, August 24, 2007

Making Out Is Better Than Falling Asleep

“We watch Cars Linny!” Jesse exclaimed the second Lindsay finished her fries. “Daddy can you play Cars?” He asked as he slipped from his chair onto the floor. “Come Linny!”

The moment Jesse mentioned Cars, Lindsay turned to stare at me. I knew by the look on her face she was thinking about all those months ago when I hit rock bottom and lost it on Natalie when she was watching ‘Cars’. “It’s ok,” I told her softly.

I sat all alone at the table while Josh went to put in the movie for Jesse. I started to think back over everything that had happened between Josh and me since we first saw each other again in December. “I can’t believe it’s been six months,” I thought out loud. With a smile on my face, I stood up and started to collect the dirty dishes.

I was filling the sink with hot, soapy water when Josh came back out to join me. “So Cars will keep the two of them busy for at least an hour and a half,” he told me. “What are we going to do in that time? Hmmm?” Josh wrapped his arms around my waist as he pulled me back against him.

“I’ve been waiting to do this all evening,” his lips were soft as he kissed a trail up my neck to my ear. “When you first got here,” his tongue traced along my earlobe. “In the car on the way to the park,” his teeth gently nipped at my lobe. “And certainly when you landed on me by the slides,” his lips closed around my lobe and I let loose the groan I was holding in.

“I love you,” he whispered hotly against my ear.

Slowly, I turned to face him. “I love you too.”

That night was probably the first time in my whole life that it took me almost an hour and a half to do four plates, glasses and forks. I guess you can say Josh had so many other things on his mind than the cleanliness of his kitchen; we made out like we were horny teenagers again.

I was sitting on his counter with my legs and arms wrapped around his body when Jesse came running out to tell Josh that ‘Cars’ was over. “Daddy what doing Ama?”

“Umm…well Jesse, it’s like this –” I gave Josh a kiss as he stumbled over his words, sometimes he was so cute when he turned all red. “Like I was saying,” Josh licked his lips and went to finish what he was going to say when Jesse’s eyes went wide and he gasped. “What’s wrong Jesse?”

Jess shook his head, “No wrong daddy.” He frowned and then asked his dad, “Daddy and Ama have baby?”

“What?” Josh seemed surprised that Jesse would pull that out of the air. “Why do you say that?”

“Ama love daddy. Daddy love Ama. Mommy say baby need love to grow!”

Josh turned to look at me and I grinned, “I mean it’s an obvious conclusion Josh.” And then to bug him a little, I asked him if kissing was all it took, “I was sure there was a little more to it.”

But Josh wasn’t about to be out done. Leaning in close to me, he told me if I wanted he would give me a step by step lesson later on the ins and outs of baby making. “I may not be an expert,” he added. “But I did get it right, once!”

With that he moved to scoop Jesse up in his arms, “I think it’s time for you to go to sleep mister!” Holding Jess in his right arm, Josh turned back on to the counter and stood at my right, slipping his arm around my waist once again. Only this time, he held me tight. “Down you go,” he said as he helped me off the counter.

While Josh made his way to the bathroom to give Jess a bath, I headed to the living room to see what Lindsay was up too.

“Did you have fun today?” I crushed onto the couch next to her.

She nodded, gave a little yawn and laughed. “I had so much fun Aunt Anna! Jess is so full of energy; I don’t know how you managed to keep up with him all evening! I wanted to lie down half way through!”

“I had years of practice,” I told her. “You and your sisters kept me on my toes whenever we went to the park.”

Lindsay and I sat there just smiling, not saying anything for a while. I started to poke her in the side and soon she was poking me back.

Then suddenly she turned and gave me a hug. “Thank you so much for being the coolest aunt!”

I was sort of sad when Zack came by to pick Lindsay up, I wanted to tell him that he couldn’t have her but Lindsay was so sleepy, Zack had asked her if she wanted him to carry her down the steps.

“OH!” She clapped her hands excitedly. “Would you dad?”

Zack screwed up his face. “No! I’m not your personal chauffeur! Now get going before your mom wonders where we are.”

As Zack and Lindsay made their way to the stairs, Zack linked Lindsay’s arm in his. “Did you have fun sweetie? Was Aunt Anna mean to you at all? I can taser her you know, if she was mean!”

“Daddy!” Lindsay’s laughter echoed through the stairwell as they disappeared out of sight. “Aunt Anna was great! Even Co-,” she paused. “I mean, Josh was cool! And Jesse is so cute! He loves Aunt Anna, did you know that daddy?”

I felt Josh move up behind me as Zack asked, “Who? Josh or Jesse?”, as the front door closed.

There wasn’t a need for words as Josh led me back into his apartment, down the hall and into his room.

We didn’t make love that night, we were seriously too beat to do more than make out. I wasn’t disappointed, even though I really wanted to be with him again. I knew that when the moment came for us, I wanted it to be as close to perfect as it could be. I didn’t want either one of us to be half falling asleep.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just love this story!!!

Nicole

Anonymous said...

I REALLY needed this 'feel good' story today! Tomorrow's my birthday, and though I usually go all out for friends' birthdays, today NOBODY has said a word. I'm really bummed, but glad I got to smile about Jessie and "Ama."

Lady said...

Great chapter. "Ama" will make a great mother for Jesse and other kids to come. *hint, hint*

And Catrina, don't count your friends out. They may be wanting to *surprise* you!

Vikki said...

Happy early birthday Catrina! I hope your day is great (and better than mine started)!!

Great post. Jess is soooo cute! I love him!

Mehreen said...

Wow, that is a lot of drama for six months! I've been so busy, it's nice to check back in for a story. Everytime I read about canada and french fries, I miss poutin!

The Middle Child said...

Very nice.. and with you not posting on the weekends I won't feel like I am missing out on anything!

The Middle Child said...

And Happy Birthday to Catrina!!!