Tuesday, December 18, 2007

A Personal Favour

Nick was in a panic when he called. He tried to butter me up by telling me how much he appreciates our friendship and how I’ve always been there for him whenever he needed me. It was so funny, I had to stop him.

“Ummm, Nick hon,” I chuckled. “You know it’s always a good idea to try the buttering up before telling me you need a favour, right?

“Sorry,” he replied. “I didn’t mean to come out with it like that, I meant to ask how you were and then -”

“It’s ok Nick. What’s up?”

“Anna, see it’s like this. I’ve been picking up all these extra shifts so I’ll have some extra money to take a few weeks off work when the baby comes.” Nick went on to tell me that he had picked up an extra shift at work for that evening, “Normally Amy’s parents would be at home with her while I work but when I called Amy just now, to tell her about my last minute shift, she told me that her parents were heading to a friend’s place for a party tonight.”

“Oh, I see.”

“Yeah, I know it doesn’t seem like a big deal Anna but with Amy so close to popping, I don’t really want to leave her at home alone. I tried to get out of the shift but I…”

“You can’t really afford to give up the extra hours with the baby coming,” I finished for him.

“Yeah,” he sighed. “Tonight is the best night to take the extra shift too being Friday and all.” I was quite for a while; I guess that made him worry a little. “Anna, I know it’s not what you planned on doing tonight and I wouldn’t ask you if I had another choice but I -”

“Nick,” I cut him off without really thinking about it. “Do you think that Amy would like to go out for dinner tonight? I feel like going out for dinner.”

“Amy would love that!” Nick exclaimed. “Not only does she get to spend time with you but she also gets out of the house.”

I laughed, “Are you sure she really wants to spend time with me Nick? We really aren’t that close.”

Nick chuckled, “Anna, Amy asked me if I would call you, to see if you were free.”

I couldn’t believe it and I told him that. He reassured me that it was Amy’s idea to call me and see if I wouldn’t mind hanging out with her. “Ok,” I told him. “I’ll take your wife out on the town, wine and dine her and then I’ll take her home and -”

“Hey now!” He cut in with a laugh. “None of that! She’s my wife, get your own!”

I just might end up having too, I thought as I told him that I would be delighted to spend the evening with Amy - I figured there was a reason she suggested me and I was hoping it had nothing to do with sleeping with Nick again.

After a quick shower, I ran upstairs to tell Mary that I wouldn’t be home for dinner. I was about to turn to leave when Mary called me back and asked me to sit for a moment. “Zack wanted to talk to you about this earlier,” she started. “But I guess he forgot or just didn’t wish to get into it because God forbid if your brother does wha -” she stopped short and sighed. “That’s neither here nor there. Zack called me and asked me to talk to you about this because he ‘forgot’.”

“Did I do something wrong? He didn’t change his mind, did he?” I asked, thinking that whatever it was Mary was rambling about had to do with the girls and our trip to the city.

“No, no,” Mary shook her head. “This has to do with tomorrow.” She paused, I frowned. “As you know your brother is having a party here tomorrow for Canada Day - BBQ, drinks, the whole shebang.” I nodded, Zack had a party for every occasion he could. “It seems that your brother is a little concerned about possible tension at the party tomorrow because…”

“Because what?” I played dumb. I was pretty certain that it had to do with Josh and me no longer seeing each other but I wanted to hear what she had to say.

“You know Anna,” Mary played with the tea towel she was using when I first walked into the kitchen. “You and Josh.”

“What about us?” I asked innocently.

“You are worse than your brother,” Mary told me before asking me if I would have a problem if Josh was at the party. “Zack has no problem calling him up and telling him he can’t come if it’s going to be a problem,” she jumped in before I could answer.

“Listen Mary,” I leaned forward and looked her dead in the eyes. “I have no problem seeing Josh, or talking to him or anything. I don’t mind if he’s here tomorrow or any other day for that matter. He’s Zack’s friend, they were friends before we got together and they shouldn’t let what happened between us get in the way.”

Mary took in everything I said, she sat there staring at me for the longest time before finally nodding. “That’s what I told Zack but he wanted to be sure.” She got up to head back to the sink but turned back half way. “I’m so happy that you are taking the break up better this time around Anna but I still worry that you may be putting on a brave face for…well, I don’t know who for, I guess I just want you to know I’m here if you need to talk about it.”

“I know Mary,” I got up and gave her a hug. “But right now, I’m doing ok.” She didn’t seem to believe me but she didn’t say anything besides telling me to have fun with Amy.

In a way I was dreading the visit to Nick’s, mainly because I didn’t know what Amy wanted with me, but for the most part I was looking forward to spending some time with her. I needed some time with someone who wasn’t a guy or related to me and who wasn’t afraid to tell me what they were thinking. Amy was prefect; she never bit her tongue at all when it came to me. We didn’t exactly have a love-hate relationship but we hadn’t always been on speaking terms either. Most of the time I think she tolerated me just because of my friendship with Nick.

I know Nick was the only reason I tolerated her for the longest time. I think it took seeing Nick being a nervous wreck, worrying about whether Amy would stand him up at the alter on their wedding day, for me to finally realize that she wasn’t going anywhere if he had anything to say about it. I’ll admit that we still had our differences but for the most part, we got along.

With that said, this was the first time I was actually going to be spending an extended period of time with her alone. I pulled up in front of her parents’ house and parked. I sat there for a moment, looking at the two story house and wondering how they could stand sharing such a tiny place with her parents. I tried to picture being married and expecting a baby while living at Zack’s but I couldn’t stop shaking my head long enough to get past being cramped in his space. It was then, more than ever, I wished I would’ve been able to help them out more before they moved from their apartment.

“Nick never would’ve let you,” I told myself. “Amy would’ve killed him if he did.” I gave the house one last look before I opened my door to get out. I was in awe of them; I didn’t think I could do what they were doing if I was in their position. Sure, I lived with my brother now but if I was married and with a baby? I think I would have some serious reservations. “Reservations?” I scoffed. “I’d be freaking out because life wasn’t going the way I planned it.”

Before I could make my way up the sidewalk, the front door opened and a belly poked its way out. A huge belly.

“Holy shit!” I exclaimed, my eyes were glued on Amy’s belly, “What the hell did Nicky do to you?”

15 comments:

Dido said...

I think I'm first! Read the post too early - nothing to look for later on in the day!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

LOL! That's a great reaction!

By the by: Happy 1 year anniversary in the story of Anna! The first post on this blog was December 18 of 2006!

Thanks so much for all the work you put into this, Angela, your devoted readers certainly appreciate it!

Carolyn

The Middle Child said...

Can't wait to see where this is going! Great post!

And I'll second the happy anniversary, you do a great job!!!

EJ said...

wow. i can't believe its been a year! congrats!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary!..omg its been a year already! hoping that next year will be just as good as this one was:D!
i wonder how josh and anna are going to react around each other as the Canada Day party...oh these cliff hangers!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO MY FAVORITE BLOG!

Carmel Beauty said...

Happy Anniversary!! Great Post!

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Josh will bring his pregnant "mama" to the party.

Revee said...

Anna's kind of boring without her boy drama! I can't wait until the party to see what happens between her and Josh. It'd be fun to see them hook up or for Jordan and Anna to make Josh jealous.

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!!!
Happy belated birthday!!!
Can't wait for amys reaction, she's prob having the nine month itch where u feel like a giant excercise ball and u can't wait for the baby to get out of u.....
I bet anna wants a baby too...

-B

Hadley said...

Anna seems so ambivalent about Amy. I'm interested to get to know Amy a bit more since she hasn't been in the story so much, and curious about what happened between them that left them not speaking to one another in the past.

Maybe it is my age, but there is so much more to life than boy drama--I think Anna is interesting without it!

Anonymous said...

"I have to say that I am still sad that her and Josh broke up. I think that I liked Josh more than Anna. I hope that there is a chance for them still somewhere along the line, because right now it makes me sad to read the blog knowing that Josh and Anna are not together. Angela, you write so great that this feels like its my friends that this happened to, not fictional characters. I dread reading each day though since I know that her and Josh are through, but I can't stop coming back because I'm addicted"
Someone wrote this on the last post, and I agree! I wish I could stop checking the blog everyday because I am so sad about Josh and Anna, and I want to pretend that they are still together but the blog is so good that I can't stop reading. That's how great this blog is- it isn't even real and it affects me that much! Crazy! You are an amazing writer Angela

Anonymous said...

http://thinlinetowalk.blogspot.com/

Amie said...

This was a great post. Although, Anna's reaction to Amy may not have gone over very well.

On another note, does anyone know what happened to It Could Have Happened? I can't read it anymore and I would love to know what is going on. I miss it!

Dido said...

Aime - I have been missing "It could Happen" as well! I am crossing my fingers & hoping that she is just having problems with the blog, like Shar did and eventually we will all be let back in! I don't really see her making it private.

Happy belated Anniversary, Angela.

Stacey