Thursday, December 13, 2007

Facing The Devil

Before I could open the passenger side door, Josh was standing beside me with his hand over the handle like he was going to open it for me but he didn’t. “It’s a simple concept,” I said without looking at him. “You lift the handle and the door will open.”

“I know how the door works Anna,” his words came out soft and low.

“Why won’t you look at me?”

“Why should I?” I asked him. “Are you suddenly going to sprout horns to match the person you’ve become?”

“I’m not a bad guy,” he told me. “I made a mistake and I hurt you. I know you hate me Anna and to be honest, I don’t really blame you.”

“Stop it!” I snapped as I glared up at him. “You don’t get to be all apologetic and understanding here. It doesn’t change what you did.”

“You’re right, it doesn’t.” He opened the door for me and then asked me something I had been asking myself for the last couple minutes. “If you are so mad with me and don’t wish to see me, why did you call me? And why did you agree to go to Carol’s with me?”

I crossed my arms over my chest and looked at him. I mean really looked at him. He looked tired, which, if he spent the night tossing and turning like I did, made total sense. “Not everything has to revolve around you Josh.”

He frowned. “What is that supposed to mean?”

Yeah, what did I mean? How does this not revolve around him? You could’ve easily told Chad that you two broke up and that’s why he was being a jerk and not letting Jess and Conner play together. But no, you had to call him and tell him to come over. Why?

“I don’t know,” I told him honestly. “I just…well…”

He closed the car door, “Look Anna just say whatever it is you are thinking. It’ll make you feel better if you do.”

“Ok,” I dropped my arms to my side and took a deep breath. “I think you are a class one jerk. What the hell are you thinking?” I swear he took a step back as I spoke. He didn’t look too happy and I didn’t care, I was upset and he did say to say what was on my mind. “It’s bad enough that you’ve screwed yourself over but do you really have to do it to everyone else? What makes you think you can mess around with everyone’s life like that? Who the hell do you think you are, God?”

He’s jaw had dropped open at some point in my little rant; I guess I surprised him a little but I wasn’t done. “You know it was bad enough that you tried to make me get rid of my best friend but to purposely destroy a friendship between two lonely little boys because you made the biggest mistake of you life? Where the hell do you get off?” I jabbed my finger into his chest. “I never thought you could be that cold and heartless. They are only four and three! They were really looking forward to tomorrow and you just had to go ruin that, didn’t you? Well buddy, I have news for you! I’m not going to let you!” I stood with my hands on my hips, glaring at him as I finished my little tirade.

Josh stared at me, unblinkingly, for what seemed like a good five minutes. And then he shook his head and chuckled. “You called me because you wanted to talk about Conner and Jesse?” I nodded and he snorted. “Of course you did, what the hell was I thinking? That you actually wanted to hear what went on? God, I’m such a fool!”

He turned away from me to rest his elbows on the roof of his car as he stared off into space. “I called Chad to tell him that Jess couldn’t play with Conner because I didn’t want Jesse to have to deal with the hatred your family would have for me because of what’s going on with the baby.”

“They don’t even know about the baby Josh.”

“What?” He looked at me. “You didn’t tell them why we broke up?”

I shook my head, “No, I didn’t even tell them that we broke up. They don’t know, and I would like to keep it that way for now.”

He turned to me, confusion written all over his face. “How…? What…?” He shook his head. “Why don’t you want them to know Anna? It’s not like they won’t put two and two together when they hear about the baby.”

“Yeah, the baby,” I muttered as I kicked at the ground. “You would tell everyone about that.”

“I’m not about to deny my child Anna!”

“Well if you could keep it in your pants, there wouldn’t be a baby!” I grumbled as I turned from him. “But no, you had to go spreading yourself around like it…” I sighed heavily. I needed to know. “Who is she?”

“You don’t know her,” he replied and I rolled my eyes and sighed again. “I’m serious Anna, you don’t. I only know her through work, she’s a coach for the girls’ team in River Valley.”

“Oh,” I wrapped my arms around myself. “So she has a lot of the same interests you do, with the teaching and the sports. That’s nice. I hope you are happy.”

He growled. “No Anna,” he came up behind me and wrapped his hands around my shoulders. “How can I be happy when she’s not the woman I imagined would be carrying my second child? Anna, I made a huge mistake four months ago and yes, I know that’s my fault but I never ever expected this.”

“Well,” I pulled out of his grasp. “Maybe you should’ve been a little more faithful or hey! Maybe use a freaking condom! Now there’s an idea!”

“I don’t have unprotected sex Anna!”

“Yeah right!” I scoffed. “The baby tells me otherwise.” I turned to him. “That and the fact that you’ve never used one with me!”

“You and I didn’t have sex Anna…”

“Oh really Josh? I swear all the experts -”

“We made love damn it!” He yelled at me. “What we did together was never sex, it was making love and I refuse to stand here and listen to you belittle the most beautiful moments in my life!”

That tugged on my heart strings, I closed my eyes to help get a handle on my emotions, I didn’t want to cry in front of him. “Could’ve have been all that beautiful,” I managed to say without my voice cracking too much.
“You threw it all away for what? A one night stand?”

“Anna…” Josh moved towards me.

“No,” I took a step back. “You can’t just say things like that and expect me to forget that you cheated on me Josh!”

“I …” He rubbed his face with his hand. “I didn’t think you would care.”

“You didn’t think…” I punched him in the chest. “How the hell could you think that? I loved you, you stupid jerk! Why wouldn’t I care if you were out boning some other chick?”

“It’s complicated,” he said.

“That’s not an answer,” I replied.

He leaned back against his car and motioned for me to come closer. I did so without thinking. “Anna,” he took my hands in his as he gazed into my eyes. “I was angry and I thought I lost you for good. I had to go out of town for work but all I wanted to do was stay home and drink away the image I had of you and Jordan on his bed.”

“Are you saying this is my fault Josh? Because if you are -” He leaned forward and kissed me softly on the lips.

“No Anna, it’s not your fault, it’s mine. I’m the one who overreacted when I saw you two, I’m the one who went to the hotel bar that night and got pissed out of my tree and I’m the one who slept with Tracy because I was so damn stupid to think that it would make the hurting go away.” He paused for a moment to take a deep breath. “It didn’t help at all, if anything, it only made things worse.”

His fingers laced through mine as we stood under the warmth of the June sun. “I don’t expect you to ever forgive me for what I did Anna, it’s too much to hope for. I just don’t want you to hate me for it.”

With another soft kiss to my lips, he released my hands. “I have to go pick up Jesse,” he told me. “I wish that we were picking him up together but I know that’s a lot to ask given the circumstances.” He went to turn away from me but stopped. “If you really think having Jesse play with Conner won’t be a problem for you, I will bring him over there tomorrow like your brother and I planned weeks ago.”

“I would never get in the way of their friendship Josh.”

He glanced at me and nodded. “I know Anna.” I watched him walk around the front of the car and open his door. He hesitated and looked up at me.

“I don’t hate you,” I told him and I meant it, I didn’t hate him. “I love you.” He raised a brow and I continued. “But I’m not in love with you, I can’t be, it isn’t right between us and I don’t believe it ever was.”

He lowered his head and closed his eyes for a fraction of a second before he looked at me again. “I understand,” he said quietly and then lowered his body into the driver’s seat.

I felt strangely at peace at I stood in the dust that stirred the moment he shifted his car into drive and rolled out of the driveway. I stood there for just a couple minutes before I realized that I wasn’t alone anymore. I turned to see Zack on the porch, leaning over the railing as he watched me.

“Care to talk about it?” He asked as I walked up the steps to join him.

“What’s to talk about?” I asked him. “Josh and I decided that it would be best for the both of us if we were just friends.”

His brow arched, showing his surprise. “Can I ask why?”

I smiled and shrugged, “He wouldn’t understand the smiley face chore on a ‘honey do’ list.”

Zack burst out laughing and threw his arm around my shoulders. “You’ll be ok, won’t you sis?” I hugged him and told him that I’d be fine as long as I have him and the rest of my family loving and supporting me.

45 comments:

Anna said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

So some answers...and some sort of closure. Wouldn't it be nice if it were that easy to get both?

Well I hope you all have a great day, I'll see you tomorrow if everything goes ok ~s~

Angela

EJ said...

wow.... that was crazy.

Good stuff :)

Anonymous said...

good for you Anna. Great post.

Revee said...

So it was while they were broken up so it wasn't cheating. That's good to know. But damn he must have some good swimmers.

I hope this isn't the end. I just love Josh so much and him and Anna are pretty good together and cute little Jesse...

Great post!

Anonymous said...

It kind of feels like I just lost a friend :( He didn't cheat on her though. He thought things were over between them when he "boned" the other girl.

MonkeySpeak said...

how has anna never gotten pregnant if they don't use protection?

meh - im sorry, i have friends who think because they "love" their boyfriends that it's ok not to use protection. but look what happened in fiction and it happens more often in real life. i think its RIDICULOUS when people don't use any sort of protection.

Anonymous said...

sad but I'm glad Anna dealt with it the way she did.

Anonymous said...

This post made me sad. I thought that it was weird that Josh cheated because he seemed like such a nice guy, and he didn't really. If it was four months ago when they were broken up- I don't really blame him for sleeping with someone else. He didn't know if Anna was sleeping with Jordan or if he and Anna would ever have another chance, so why wouldn't he try and move on- dull the pain. Now I feel sorry for Josh all over again. I think that Anna is in love with Josh, but Jordan and Zach have both convinced her differently.

Anonymous said...

So, Angela, maybe you can clear this up... were they or weren't they together when Josh cheated?

I thought they got back together six months ago...

Amie said...

I'm glad this happened. Josh didn't know if Anna had slept with Jordan, but he also did wait to find out before he jumped in bed with someone else. What a jerk.

Anonymous said...

WOW, I can't believe it's really over, I loved the story, I'm just not happy that it's over between them, I am so sad right now, I think that I need to stay away for a couple of days, oh....I hate feeling like this...hopefully they will find their way back to each other. I can only hope!!!

GG

Anonymous said...

if i were josh and i used protection, i would want to get a dna test done to make sure the baby isn't mine. who knows, maybe josh isn't going to be a father again. i do agree with anna that they were possibly never right together. just remember that this doesn't mean her and jordan are right together.

amy

Carmel Beauty said...

I am confused I thought they have been back together for 6 months.

Anonymous said...

The way the thought the timeline of their relationship went was: Christmas they reconnected, New Years they flirted, and basically got together, beginning of Febuary she made out with Jordan and they broke up, End of April they got back together, June they broke up again. Meaning they were broken up when he slept with someone else. And who cares who he slept with during that time? They weren't together. She never asked him if he got with anyone else. Maybe he could have waited a little longer- but it wasn't even a girl he dated. It was a drunken one night stand. And Anna assumed he was dating, when she saw him at the resturant with another girl, it made her sad but she expected he would date. I don't think he did anything wrong-except not being more careful with the whole protection aspect.

Anonymous said...

I kinda feel like GG. I am totally sad right now, and I don't really want to read what happens next because in my mind I want Josh and Anna together, so I don't really want to read about Anna moving on- but the story is so good, I can't stay away! Hopefully she can forgive Josh or something... :( very sad post today. But even if I'm the minority- I'm still team Josh

Janie said...

Anna and Josh did meet up again mid December. They were together in January but at the end of January Anna kissed Jordan and Josh flipped. For the month of February they weren't together, and this is when Josh got drunk and slept with Tracy. They reconnected around Jesse's birthday at the beginning of March. From March to June, they were together. The end of June, where we are in the story now, they break up.

Their relationship lasted over a six month period. Anna counted the time they were apart as time in the relationship.

Hope that clears some stuff up.

Angela

Anonymous said...

even if they were broken up, it's still wrong. josh was "apparently" really broken up about this, but he still jumped into bed with someone else rather quickly. did he really think sex was going to make it better? typical dude. if he was the lonely and horny, he has hands. go hog wild.

Anonymous said...

So, what I don't understand is how they never were right together. In the beginning, Josh was Mr. Perfect, and I honestly don't see what the issues between them are apart from him not trusting her AFTER she kissed Jordan. Other than that, I think they fit perfectly together. I just don't feel at ease like I did when they were together.

And the difference between the kiss she and Jordan shared and Josh sleeping with someone else is the fact that Anna did that WHILE her and Josh were together. Josh didn't cheat on her, he slept with someone because he was trying to forget about her cheating on him.

Bottom line is that you do an amazing job at bringing the characters to life, Angela! For me to feel this emotionally involved in the story says a lot!!

Anonymous said...

I think that Anna's kissing Jordan while her and Josh were still together is SOOOOOO much worse than Josh having a drunken one night stand when Anna and him had broken up. I mean, how long was he supposed to wait? They didn't say they were taking a break. He said I never want to see you again. Thats pretty final. The whole reason he was drunk was because he was sad that their relationship had ended. But it had ended at that time. There isn't a waiting period after you break up with someone before you can sleep with someone else. Its called rebound sex. He was totally within his rights to sleep with someone else. He just should have made sure they used a condom. Oh and definitely get a DNA test like Amy said! I am Team Josh. I had waivered on that for couple of days but now I just feel bad for him.

Anonymous said...

My heart hurts.

I think I'm sadder than Anna at the ending of her realtionship with Josh!

However, I just don't think we've heard the last of him yet.

Y'know, at first I was amazed at how emotionally invested I was in this story and it's characters. But how could we not be when they are so real? Not only that, but does everyone realize that we've been following these characters for ALMOST A YEAR??!! And with updates almost everyday, how could we NOT feel like we really know these people?!

So here's a heads up to all those who are Team Angela: her 1 year anniversary of keeping this blog is coming up! I think it's December 18th, so be extra nice to her and maybe she'll double post for us that day ;-)!!!

Melissa Robinson said...

they didnt really break up though during that time, they were working on their friendship and the kiss, but i didnt think it was really a break up and so i think josh is still a lying cheating bastard!

Anonymous said...

i don't get how we still have people on team josh. let's look at the examples:
-he's dangled the kiss over anna every time they get in a fight
-he fucked another women [i don't care about the break]
-he never told her, even with the kiss
-he knocked the girl up
-he put his hands on anna in inappropriate ways during a fight
-he tried to make her give up her best friend
-he asked for her hand in marriage and probably wasn't going to tell her about the baby until it was too late


those aren't small little things, they're pretty big and all in the last relative 6 months. i don't get how people can still like him. he's obviously not mr. perfect, and thankfully anna figured that out. he might be a good guy, but not for anna.

Hadley said...

Yup, Josh is too much drama!

I still can't believe he asked for Anna's hand while keeping something so important from her.

Onward and upward...I hope good things are in store for Anna now that she has accepted the fact that good relationships don'e involve so much BS, and Josh is just not the man for her!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it ended the way it did. Anna's not going to be low and depressed this time. I feel like this is going to empower her and maybe she can focus on other things right now, like getting that promotion.

Anonymous said...

i thought that josh found out that he was going to be a dad AFTER he got home from zach's house...isnt that what happened?
he learned about the baby AFTER he asked for anna's hand in marriage?

Anonymous said...

I thought he found out after also.

Anonymous said...

The way I see this is-
Josh really liked Anna, moved a little fast but really loved her.
He had been devestated by his wife first, then Anna, who assured him that there was nothing between her and Jordan (which he believed even though she repeatedly told him stories or her and Jordan flirting, sleeping in the same bed together, him kissing her).
He is understandably angry and breaks up with her.
He ends up having a one night stand with someone else during their break up. Also as a side note: at this point they had only been together for one month, and were broken up for a month also.
He misses Anna, and decides to give her another chance- but considering all that has happened- he has a hard time working past the kiss.
When he realizes he is ruining the relationship, he tries to work past it, even trying to become friends with Jordan.
Things start to seem good, then he is told by his friend and Anna's brother that not only is he not good enough for Anna, but that Jordan would be better.
Then he gets home, and finds out that a one night stand that he regrets has had the worst possible outcome.
Then Anna shows up and he thinks that she is going to break up with her. At this point it is also 3 am and he is half asleep. He way overreacts and get angry. The anger is justified, but taken out on the wrong person. I don't see through any of this why he is a bad guy! Team Josh

Anonymous said...

I wish Josh was real because I would date him! Great writing as always angela!!!

Anonymous said...

Even if Josh technically didn't cheat on Anna, its an awful lot for her to deal with. I mean she's 23 right? If she stayed with Josh she would be a stepmother to two children and have to deal with all of the drama from two different mothers. That's quite a burden on the relationship.

And even if Josh didn't cheat, it still hurts knowing that he had a one night stand and kept it a secret. Anna has the right to know who he has been with. If he had unprotected sex with that woman and then unprotected sex with Anna he could be putting her health in serious jeopardy.

Vikki said...

Good job Anna!! Josh is out of there. I am Team Alone time, then someone new!!!

Good post!

Anonymous said...

Great post and story. I love how you can get sucked into the characters and feel what they feel. Even get upset at choices they make.

I think if they both really did love each other, neither one of them would have done anything with any other person. But jealousy was in the relationship from the beginning with Josh about Jordan, and I think that pushed Anna to kiss Jordan. That and Jordan pushing her to kiss him as well.

On another note, does anyone know the email to get invited to read the blog coulda happened? I've been trying to find out for a while now to get back to reading it. I'm sad that it is invite only now.

Anonymous said...

Great Great post Angela! I'm so glad you didn't let Anna fall for any lame excuses. I hope now she can move on, not necessarily w/Jordan, but a new love interest in the future will be great. I'd love to see Josh get all jealous when he sees her w/another man.

MonkeySpeak said...

I think anna put it the best - they love each other they just arent IN love with each other.

it had a lot to do with infatuation, josh looking for someone he could count on after a rocky marriage, and he didnt give himself time to learn how to trust or heal again AFTER all that happened. i even think Zack warned anna about that in the very begining.

and i dont know if this is her family's fault. your family can often see things you can't when you are totally blinded by a relationship. they shouldnt always step in and meddle like hers does but they are tehre for her and not judging right now which is the most important! shes a big girl and said she wasn't going right to jordan just because she was single now, which shows they dont have THAT much of an influence on her - she still makes her own decisions right? i mean they COULD wind up together, they may not. funny enough i always said i wouldnt go back to my best friend and thats where i am, and even that isnt easy breazy. no relationships are finger snapping easy - hers and joshs was just too much. i liked it, but i think it ended appripriately. and go anna for being adult and mature and allowing closure. shell feel better about it all bc of that!

TEAM ANNA!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sad at all, this was great. Josh was too needy and was never going to get over the whole thing with Jordan. Speaking of Jordan it would be great if they'd start a romance now!!!

The Middle Child said...

What a very mature way to handle things with her family. They don't need to know every detail, just that the aren't together.

Very good post!!!

Anonymous said...

I think Anna did the right thing and ended it appropriately. All of the drama ups and downs and moving too fast just meant they weren't right for each other. They care about each other, but you can't force something that is not right. I feel sorry for Josh for lots of reasons, but I can't feel too sorry for him. Anna always fessed up to anything she has done. Josh never told her about sleeping with another woman - accident or not, broken up/break or not. The only reason he told her was because the other woman got pregnant. And, the only reason he fessed up to kissing Carol was because Jesse said something to Anna first. I understand that Josh had a hard time trusting Anna, but obviously if they stay together how would Anna be able to trust Josh. If there is no trust then there is no relationship. It's definitely time for Anna AND Josh to move on. They're not bad people, they're just bad for each other.

Anonymous said...

Oh and to all the people saying he had unprotected sex, he didn't. He said that himself.

Anonymous said...

I don't know, I had rebound sex after a break up with an ex. And we got back together afterwards and neither one of us questioned what the other did while we were apart. Can't blame Josh for that, been there done that.

Mehreen said...

Ok, I think it changes things if they were on a break. They didn't speak for 4 weeks and he had a drunken one night stand? It's understandable. I'm still glad they're not together because I think Anna is right in that they are not good for each other. I can't believe in just 6 months of going out they had THAT MUCH drama! I mean, I beginning part is supposed to be good and I think a 6-month relationship is still in its infancy, even at 23! I hope they can be friends, but I think when Anna is ready, Jordan will be the man for her. Oh, and all the unprotected sex bothers me. I don't care who he is being unprotected with, I can't believe Anna didn't get pregnant! (Thank god though, the poor child who would have to deal with their highs/lows as parents!)

Anonymous said...

GOOD closure. I'm glad she realized they weren't good together. You've made a smart character.

Anna said...

Hey everyone! Just wanted to let you all know that tomorrow is my birthday! ~l~ I'm gonna be 27...

Just thought you all would like to know ~l~

Guess I better get to today's post ~g~

Angela

Melissa Robinson said...

WHOOOO TEAM ANGELA! HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOVE! YOU ARE SO AMAZING! its odd...i feel like i know you now...through your writing! :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Angela!! 27, wow. Hope you have a great day. You are the best writer and make all your fans happy every time you post.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Anna told him she loved him, but was not in love with him. That pretty much sums it up. What's the point in going over the timeline as to when he slept w/this other person, it's not an issue anymore, and it doesn't matter if he cheated on her or not, she's not in love with him, that's the bottom line. And as far as Anna not getting pregnant because Josh never used protection, maybe Anna cannot get pregnant, maybe she has a fertility problem and just doesn't know it yet because she has never tried to have a baby. People are infertile you know.

Anonymous said...

I am in shock at how this has turned. Josh and Anna were so good together in the beginning. To think of her with Jordan sort of creeps me out at this point. They are almost to close...
I am just sad that things went this way. Atleast discussing the break-up with Zack was mature...shows growth. I don't get why Zack stood there listening to what was going on. It should have become his business when Anna wanted to make it that way not because he sat and listened in on what they were saying. I know it is his house but there still should be boundaries for Anna...she is an adult.
L