Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Asking For Trouble

I didn’t realize what I was doing, how rashly I was acting, until the second ring sounded in my ear. I had just formed the thought that I should just hang up and forget about it. It’s not like this will be the first time Conner will lose a friend, I tried to tell myself but that didn’t seem to convince me. I didn’t want to be the reason my nephew lost his friend. I didn’t want my failed relationship to hurt anyone else.

Just when I thought that he wasn’t going to answer his cell I heard his hesitant ‘hello’.


“What are you doing?” I asked him without so much as a hello on my end. I didn’t want to waste time with pleasantries.

“Anna?” He sounded really surprised to hear my voice.

“Yeah,” I rolled my eyes. “What do you think you are doing?”

“I…umm well hon -” he sighed, stopping himself. “I’m on my way to pick up Jesse from Carol’s for the summer.” He paused and then threw in a hopeful, “did you want to come with me?”

“No,” I scoffed at his hopefulness. “Why the hell would I…” I turned to see Zack watching me curiously. Damn it! I didn’t want anyone to know what happened with Josh yet, not until I had all the answers I needed to understand it myself. With all the positive energy I could muster, I smiled at Zack and cheerfully told Josh that sounded good.

“What does?” He asked and needlessly added that he was confused. When I told him to swing by and pick me up shocked silence followed.

“Are you still there?” I asked a little impatiently.

“I think there’s something wrong with my hearing,” he told me. “I swear I just heard you say to pick you up but that’s not possible since you told me last -”

I shrugged, “Well if you don’t want too…”

“No!” He exclaimed. “I never said that! I just - well I’m surprised that’s all. I can be there in ten minutes, is that ok?”

I hung up the phone without giving him an answer, I didn’t even realize it until after I was down stairs cleaning up and changing out of my sweats so I didn’t look like crap when he saw me. It’s not like I care, I told myself. I just don’t want him to think that without him I’m a mess.

Ten minutes later, I made my way upstairs as Zack was in the process of inviting Josh in. “Don’t bother,” I mumbled as I walked towards them. “He’s not staying.” I ignored Zack’s raised brow and questioning look as I walked out into the bright sunshine.

On my way to Josh’s car, I couldn’t believe that I was doing this. Why did I make plans to see the man who I told, only a few hours ago, I didn’t want to see ever again?

21 comments:

Anna said...

A short double post ~g~ see you all later

Angela

DDgirl said...

thanx Angela!!!

but, this was a bit weird...

Take care!

Anonymous said...

She better not fall for his lame sorry ass excuses! But I would be curious if I were her to hear his explaination though.

Anonymous said...

Awesome double post- that's special. we havent had a double post in a while.

Wow--- what the hell is she doing???

i think the car ride is going to be majorly awkward, but at least mayble we'll find out who he slept with.

~T

Carmel Beauty said...

Answers are a coming can't wait

Anonymous said...

Thanks Angela for the double post!! I know when I speak for most of your readers when I say we LOVE double post! :-)

I could have happened and Shar's blog has gone private. I'm new to the blog world. Can anyone help me to be invited to these blogs?

Revee said...

Yea for a double post. I'm glad Anna's being strong and standing up to Josh. She needs to hear him out. There's more to this story than she knows.

But the fact of the matter is if he's going to have another child that should be a dealbreaker especially for a girl Anna's age. One that wasn't yours was more than enough!

Anonymous said...

A double post!! Angela is the best. I am so addicted to this story. I know we all think we can guess what is going on but really this time I am stumped. Exceptional writing.

Karen

Anonymous said...

Wee thanks for the double!

Interested to see where Anna is going with this. I understand she doesn't want to look like a wreck, but I fear her stubborn natures is going to get her into trouble once again... =P

Anonymous said...

This is starting to get very interesting....

I wonder if Anna will be able to put this behind her like she wanted Josh to and move on. Of course, Anna didn't sleep with someone so that is a WHOLE different situation. I wonder who it was!
~M

Melissa Robinson said...

OMG ANGELA YOU ARE A ROCKSTAR!

Anonymous said...

I think she's a bit crazy for agreeing to meet him but that's her choice. JUST DON"T GO BACK WITH HIM. That's all. And I hope she sets him straight about Jesse. She needs to stay away from him. Period.

Anonymous said...

I hope Josh doesn't go really nuts and try to hurt her.....

Anonymous said...

Yay! Thanks so much! Ahh, can't wait to hear their conversation in the car!!!

Vikki said...

OMG!!!!! I just read the last three posts...WHOA!!!!

I can't believe Josh would do such a thing. I am SOOOO disappointed in him!! But, you know what they say, when someone is doing something wrong, they'll accuse you to throw you off track.

I can't wait til the next post. I wonder who the harlot is...What if it was Bella?!?!? Just my imagination going wild :^)

Anonymous said...

Yaaaaaaaay for the double post! I didn't even know there was one until I checked your blog this morning! Happy suprise! Thanks Angela!

Mehreen said...

Anna should just tell Zach, but I understand she wants to wait a bit. She shouldn't let it put her in these awkward situations though! She should not see Jesse again, Josh should be the one to tell him she will no longer be in his life. The Conner conversation should have been had on the phone, in the privacy of her bedroom, what has she gotten herself into!

ctiger said...

Hopefully she will get the answers we are waiting to hear. LOL. Can't wait for the other half. Thanks Angela!!

Chris

Anonymous said...

No, I think Anna should definitely talk to Josh face to face. Hopefully, that would make it harder for him to lie to her. You can tell alot about people by seeing how they react to is being said and how they present themselves.

Anonymous said...

The suspense is killing me!! Please post today!!

Davidljds said...

impression on a company arises at the first personal interview. Teaching ESL in Korea isn't just a great career option for English language graduates virtually ANY degree can help you land a life-changing job teaching English overseas. And while ESL jobs in America may have more strident regulations for example, you have to take a standardized test to gain your ESL qualification teaching English in foreign countries only requires a bachelor's degree, the ability to speak English as a first language and a sense of adventure. Avoid writing a resume that feels and looks like a novel. Your resume format should be arranged to ensure that you will have at most two pages. Come on. Employers are busy individuals. You won't really expect them to spend their whole time reading your resume. Even if you've a great deal of other stuff you want to consist of, focus on putting only the experiences and abilities that will apply to the position you're seeking. Improve Your Interpersonal Skills: Career Advancement Profilers are particular criminologists that build profiles of specific crimes by reviewing patterns of behavior. They look at particular groups of people that commit specific crimes and build a sort of meta-profile, a combination of the behaviors of those involved in commission of these crimes. Profilers can pinpoint an average age range and other demographics and psychological characteristics for an "average criminal" involved in a particular crime.