Friday, December 7, 2007

Mid-Night Meeting

The drive into town, from Zack’s, normally takes about a half hour. At least it does when it’s not 3 in the morning. You would think that it would’ve been enough time to come up with some idea of how to say what I needed to say but it didn’t seem like enough. I didn’t know what I was going to say.

I was nervous. I knew I had to do this. I needed to talk to him about everything that was going on. I wanted to be completely honest with him because he deserved it. I hadn’t been that honest with him, in fact I hadn’t been completely honest with myself. I knew that, deep down.


I came to a stop in front of his place about twenty minutes after I left home. I thought I would have a minute or two to get the beating of my heart under control before I saw him but I didn’t. He was sitting out on the front steps in a white t-shirt and black shorts with his head in his hands.


“Hey,” I plopped down beside him, nudging him with my shoulder.

“Imagine running into you at this hour on your steps.”

He laughed, “Yeah, what are the odds of that happening?”

“Pretty good, I guess.” I smiled at him. “I did call you but…” I frowned. “Why are you sitting out here?”

“I fell asleep,” he said sheepishly. “After you called.”

“Oh,”

“Yeah, so I figured that I should get up. I went out on my couch and started to drift off again. I figured that it would be best to get out into the cool night.” He paused to look upwards for a moment as his hand slipped onto my knee, giving it a gentle squeeze before resting it there. “The stars are so bright tonight.”

“Yeah,” I sighed as I stared upwards with him. “Do you see either of the dippers?”

“Mmm,” he leaned in close to me, his hand lifted from my knee to slip it around my shoulders. “I believe that’s one there,” he said as he leaned into me, his breath drifted across my cheek as he pointed skywards. Then a second later his face was buried against the curve of my neck as he took a deep but shaky breath. “Oh God baby, you smell so good tonight.”

“Josh,” I grinned as I tilted my head to give him better access. “You are very intoxicating tonight as well honey.”

“You don’t think…” he nipped at my skin. “Do you want to go inside?” He gazed at me hopefully. “We could curl up together, cuddle….”

“I would love to Josh but -”

He groaned, “But that’s not why you came here tonight.” He slipped his arm from my shoulders and sighed, “You want to talk.”

I wanted to tell him that I wanted to run upstairs with him and crawl into bed but he was right, I did need to talk. “Maybe we could go for a walk?”
He took a moment. “Sure,” he said finally as he stood up. “Let’s go for a walk,” he held out hand to me.

We headed down towards the lake near his apartment building. On our way down, he tucked my hand into the crook of his arm. We walked along the paved path for a good ten minutes, neither one of us spoke, we just walked arm in arm along the path.

“So?” He turned to me when we approached the lookout. “What’s on your mind honey?”

I was having second thoughts, I didn’t know if this was really what I needed to do. Sure, I wanted to talk about it but now that I had the chance, I wasn’t sure what it was that I wanted to say.

“Does this have something to do with why I wanted to talk to your brother tonight?” He lifted my chin upwards. “I’m sure he told you want I asked him.”

I nodded. “Yes, he did. He told me that you asked him for his permission to marry me?” I shot him a questioning look as he dropped his hand. "Why would you do that Josh? I thought we were trying to work through our issues.”

“We were - are! We are,” he sighed. “I guess I just wanted things to go faster than they were going. I thought that it would be one thing out of the way when we finally worked through everything. I mean -” he ran a hand through his hair. “I thought he would…well…”

“Well what?” My hands found their way to his waist on their own; my fingers curled around his shirt as I stood in front of him.

“I thought that he was my friend, I thought that he was on our side. I thought he wanted us to be happy but apparently I was wrong.”

“Because he told you that he didn’t think we were ready for marriage right now?” I asked him. “You think that Zack is against us because he knows we are having problems and he wants us to work through them before he take the next step?”

“No Anna,” Josh pushed my hands away. “He’s against us because I’m not the 24 year old green eyed jerk who keeps interfering in our relationship!”

“Zack doesn’t-”

“Don’t!” Josh turned from me and pressed his hands against the railing.

“Josh come on,” I went to him, stood beside him, my hip rested against the railing at his hand. “You know that’s not true, Zack doesn’t -”

“He does Anna.”

“No,” I shook my head.

“Yes,” Josh looked at me. “He does. He told me so tonight.” I stared up at him in disbelief. “Yeah sweetheart, your oh so sweet brother told me that he didn’t think I was right for you, that that little prick was more of your type.”

“Josh,” I gasped. “What the heck? What’s with all the…anger?”

He rolled his eyes. “I’m sick and tired of all this crap Anna.”

“What?” I took a step back, there was something in his eyes that scared me. “What are you saying Josh?”

“I’m saying,” he grabbed me by the shoulders and stared into my eyes. “I’m sick and tired of being played for a fool. I hear the whispers, I see the looks. And tonight your brother was nice enough to spell it out. No one thinks that I’m worthy of their precious little angel!” He shoved me away. “Well I’m sick of it! I’m done with this crap! If you want that little bastard, have at him!”

22 comments:

Anna said...

Good Afternoon Everyone!

Sorry that posts have been few this week, I've been trying to recover from working as much as I have and dealing with what could very well be the worse head cold I've had in a while. I've spent most of my spare time laying around, drinking liquids and trying to stop the headache.

I hope you all have a great weekend.

Angela

Anonymous said...

Whoa!! Great post!! Definitely about time Josh's true colors are shown! Controlling, manipulative jerk. Now she can go be with Jordy!! Yay!! Team Jordy all the way!

Anonymous said...

Josh just proved to Anna the man he really is. He is not working through the "Jordan" issue and trying to accept him. I think he's irrational and immature for a man his age. I hope Anna sees this and realizes that this relationship will never work out.

Anonymous said...

If he's reacting this way to this little problem, what's going to happen later if they stay together, I hope anna realizes this and gets out of there as soon as possible. Goes home takes some time off and then finally is ready for jordan...and we get to see how that relationship goes?!?!?! Maybe????????

Btw Angela I hope you feel better and get some rest this weekend.

-B

Anonymous said...

feel better:D
what the hell is josh's problem...jeezzz! does he think that threatening her that way is going to make her more inclined to marry him or something?! wonder if his anger ever got to jesse in that way...josh suddenly just flips out on her! WTF!?! one minute he's trying to get her in bed then next he's grabbing her by the shoulders and dissing her best friend? i thought he was supposed to be mature and an adult! guess not...i love josh even though ive been team jordy..and i dont want anna's and josh's relationship to end this way! they should do it like adults and remain friends! but guess u cant get what you always want *sigh* wonder what explanation josh will have for his little outburst!

Anonymous said...

Feel better!
It really seems like everyone is against Josh...I feel sorry for him. It isn't easy to be in his shoes.
L

Mehreen said...

Temper temper! I can understand being frustrated because everyone in Anna's life seems to be on Jordan's side, but hello, he has proven his friendship through her throughout the years, who the hell is Josh? He's a guy she's been seeing on and off for a few months with extreme highs and lows. It really does seem like the only two things they do is have sex and fight...and right now they're doing a lot more of the latter! I think Anna should go to her green-eyed devil!

Lady said...

Okay, I was really trying to stay out of the Josh/Anna/Jordan triangle, but its hard not to now. I really don't think that Josh and Anna are right for one another. I say that because I was in a similar situation. The relationship was fine as far as "having fun" went, but it wasn't something that I looked at as being a long-term thing.

My thing with Anna is that she is trying to force something because of a crush she developed when she was younger. Now is the time to really look at everything from all its angles and see what it is you really NEED first, then want. Hopefully they turn out to be the same things.

I want to tell Anna to just not rush and take her time. It seems like the one that might be really right for her is willing to let her take whatever time she needs.

Anonymous said...

I agree with "L". I feel sorry for Josh. He has put up with alot. Also, it does seem that he may have overreacted, but in real life, we all have situations where we say things that we don't mean in the heat of the moment-especially to people that we love. And I think that Josh has tried very hard with the Jordan situation, even trying to befriend him, and Jordan hasn't tried at all. Zach had some good points, as far as rushing into marriage, but I don't think it was his place to ever throw it in Josh's face that he thought Jordan was better for Anna. In fact, Zach had not right to give an opinion to begin with. I guess all I am trying to say after that long "speech" is that it is 3 in the morning, he is half asleep, he loves Anna and everyone is trying to sabotage their relationship, and he is rightfully frustrated. He took it out on the wrong person, but he is not a bad guy. Team Josh :)

Anonymous said...

So its Anna's fault that everyone else thinks she's better off with Jordan? I can understand Josh being frustrated but he's definitely directing his anger at the wrong person. With the exception of Jordan, no one was sabotaging their relationship. Josh went to Zack and Zack told him what he honestly felt. He didn't forbid Josh from seeing Anna and he hasn't done anything to interfere with their relationship. Instead of getting mad at Anna, maybe Josh should take some time to figure out why people don't think he's a good match for Anna. Maybe he should cool down and try to have a rational talk with Zack to try to understand where he's coming from. This is a problem that Josh and Anna should work on as a team but they never seem to do that. They each try to tackle the whole problem on their own and it doesn't end working out. They need to learn how to talk things out and work together to fix them.

Anonymous said...

I think that becmig is right. I have blown up at people lots of times and said things that I didn't mean in the heat of the moment. Thats all that happened to josh. TEAM JOSH 2!

Melissa Robinson said...

that outburst from Josh is warrented based on Zacks interference, but not at anna. Josh needs to control his temper!

Anonymous said...

I should clarify- I don't mean that it was ok that Josh had that outburt directed at Anna. He was in the wrong, but I think that since this blog is supposed to be based off of real life, not a fairy tale, we all have said things in a moment of anger to the wrong person. Maybe we had a bad day at work and we take it out on our friends instead of keeping it at work. Or we have a fight with our parents and end up taking it out on our b.f's because we sometimes keep emotions bottled up too long, and they end up coming out at a bad time. He shouldn't have yelled at Anna. I wasn't justifying that, but he was wronged by both Zach and Jordan. I just don't think that ONE UNJUSTIFIED outburst in the whole time they have known eachother means that he really is some crazy, mean, abusive guy. Or that he is wrong for Anna. Sorry if I offended anyone by making them think that I was saying that it was Anna's fault or that he should have lost his temper. Thats not what I meant. :)

KBear said...

it just seems that, yes, while people get angry and say things they dont mean, josh.. thats ALL he does.

he gets angry, and just says whatever is the most hurtful thing he can. which to me, is a little manipulative...he ALWAYS does this. gets mad at something, and directs it at anna.. all the time

and zack did have a right. he's been like a father to her since she was young. and JOSH went to zack and asked!

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'd be interested to know, Angela, did we read the tone correctly? Was Josh as angry as it seemed?!

Stacey

Anonymous said...

He's being an A-hole...what a jerk...I hope she opens her eyes now...I mean really how many more examples does she really need?

Anonymous said...

I'm so for Jordan. Josh is pulling too much crap lately. And he shoved her? so not cool, I'm so in the Jordan camp. its not like she can forget about her best friends of her entire life, and that will always be hanging over her and joshs heads. plus she loves jordan shes just too stubborn to admit it.

Vikki said...

Josh is warranted in his frustration, but he's taking it out on the wrong person. As a devout Team Josh member, I beginning to wonder if their relationship is too far gone for them to ever be okay. I think I'm going to go with Team Neither.

Anonymous said...

Great post! I can't wait for the next one! Get well soon,

J

Anonymous said...

I'm putting myself in Josh's shoes and man they feel tight! I've just told one of my best friends that I love his sister and want to marry her he tells me I'm not good emough and that this other guy is my heart is hurt. I feel down on myself I walk out of the room and there said girl and said guy are. MY HEART is HURT. then she calls me at 3am to talk... thats never a good sign I feel like I am pulled in so many directions and all I want to do is love this girl.

I don't think Joshs anger was directed at Anna at all it was the frusteration of the situation talking.

Angela, I hope that you know where the story is going without all the comments directing it... I can't wait to see what YOU have planned for the story! :) Thank you for the time and effort you put into this I hope your headache is gone and that you are feeling all better!

Everyone else I hope you have a wonderful weekend.

The Middle Child said...

Men are such idiots!!! But maybe it's what she needs, to figure things out. Time away from Josh. I love Josh, I want them to be together, but not if he is going to bring up Jordy and 'the kiss' everytime they get into an argument like he has been doing.

MonkeySpeak said...

Mai - I can totally see your point.
Personally I don't know who she needs to be with and this isn't easy for her either, but at the same time, I feel for Josh.
He is being played by the family, yanked around unintentionally by Anna because her head is being filled with everything and she isn't strong enough to just say Yes or No. Her family are jerks because they shoulda stayed the EFF outta it. I know my family may not be 100% about my guy, but they respect MY FEELINGS for him and aren't pushing me on someone else. Zack was in the wrong. It's one thing to tell your friend you think they need to wait for marriage, but another to tell him no because you want your sister with someone else!

We gotta remember, both guys have their faults:
Josh has a temper and has a tough time letting things go.

Jordan kept Anna around while he had his fun knowing she would "always be there" when he was ready! And her friend told her that, that isn't something I am inferring.

Last thought: Jordan suddely has a child. Before she was SO SURE josh was the one. He had Jesse. Now Jordan has Jenna and Anna is confused again and dreaming about being a mom.

Anyone else think Anna just wants a pre-made family because she lost her own?