Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Men!

Jordan went after his dad despite his mother’s request for him to just leave it alone. “I can’t mom,” he told her. “I know you don’t understand but I need this to be over with. I need dad to care about me.”

“Oh Jordan,” his mother rolled her eyes. “Your father has cared about you from the moment I told him I was pregnant.”

“Then he has a funny way of showing it,” Jordan replied as he headed for the door.

Once the front door closed behind him, his mom turned to me. “Why didn’t you stop him?” She demanded. “You are always jumping, why didn’t you do it this time?”

I was floored. “You indicated for me to stay out of it Harriet. And besides, I think it’s time they had it out over this; it’s been eating away at Jordan for years.”

“You just don’t like to see them getting along!”

“Are you kidding me?” I snorted. “I’ve wanted them to get along for years. I want Jordan to be happy but he can’t be if he feels like he has to prove something to John all the time. He doesn’t need to prove anything; he’s a good man and a good father.”

“Do you think we don’t know that Anna?” Crossing her arms over her chest, she asked me if I thought they were stupid. “He’s my son, I know what’s going on with him and I know what kind of man he is.”

I sighed; I really didn’t want to argue with Harriet. “Let’s just let Jordan and John work this out between them,” I offered and motioned towards the living room. “Why don’t we go see what Jenna is doing?”

With the mention of her granddaughter, Harriet’s frown disappeared and she smiled. “Isn’t Jenna just the most adorable little girl you’ve ever seen?” She inquired. “I had to get some pictures of her, the girls at the bingo hall want to see how big she’s getting.”

Jenna had us sitting at her little pink princess table holding tiny plastic princess cups when Jordan and John came back into the house. “Oh my God!” I dropped the cup when I saw Jordan. “What the heck happened to you?” I was on my feet and over to him before he could even reply.

“Nothing,” he pulled away from the hand that I had brought up to his face.

“What do you mean ‘nothing’? You’re bleeding!” I went to touch him again but he pulled back.

“It’s nothing,” he insisted.

“Nothing,” I repeated as I glanced over my shoulder to Harriet. “He says it was ‘nothing’.”

Harriet turned to John; he was sporting a bloody nose to go along with Jordan’s split lip. “Don’t look at me like that woman,” John spoke before she could. “The boy said it was nothing and that’s what it is.”

She seemed as shocked as I was. “You hit him?”

John went to reply but Jordan stopped him. “No mom, we talked.”

With a chuckle, John reached out and slapped Jordan on the back. “That’s right. We talked.”

19 comments:

Unknown said...

hahaha I think that is priceless! That is SUCH a guy thing to do!

Loving it! =^)

Anonymous said...

ahhh men! confusing species...must be all the testosterone! must be the only way for them to resolve a problem is to fight..

Mehreen said...

Haha, loved it! Especially when John called Harriet woman...too funny! Looks like J&J worked out their issues, I'm so glad!

Anonymous said...

I hate being called woman, this john guy is getting on my nerves. Buts its good the got it all out...finally!

Anonymous said...

Ah that's good, a son and a father hitting each other, what a good example, talk about disfunctional!

Dido said...

I liked! True story about how some men "talk" it out that way! Great post.

KBear said...

my hubby calls me woman all the time.

i look at him and say "that's enough boy!"

:) he stops calling me woman then

great post.

Anonymous said...

Well that's mature...

Anonymous said...

KBear that is so funny!

Anon 2:50 is just hater!

mum said...

I don't think I'm a hater, but I'm inclined to agree w/Anon 2:50. It actually disturbed me. Maybe by not having brothers I can't appreciate the dynamics of that kind of relationship. When a father and son come to blows - which obviously I am assuming because it doesn't actually say that - that's seems a bit much. Can anyone shed light on this?

mum

Lynn said...

I have three brothers and was also a little disturbed that Jordan and his father got violent. I guess it depends on the family dynamic one has in their own house. Just because it is different than what I do, it doesn't necessarily make it wrong.
At least it must be "normal" for Jordan because neither he nor his father seemed fazed by it.
I was also disturbed by the way Anna talked to Harriet - but again, Harriet didn't seem fazed by it, so it must be "normal" for them.

MonkeySpeak said...

I was kinda "woah" too. some people on here didn't seem bothered so i would assume that its not totally unusual. my dad and brother had issues but would never raise a fist to each other. its really unhealthy. i get that its years of pent up aggression but um, what a horrible way to express emotion.

And I think Anna just has a issue with respecting others period. She's kinda selfish and has a lack of respect for superiors. I just think that is who she is.

Anonymous said...

I have been reading all of her blogs from the beginning and I have to wonder if some of Angela comes thru in her blogs. You have to wonder if she is like this with guys... and other things... I hope not.

The Middle Child said...

Remind me never to have a "talk" with those two!!

Anonymous said...

It might not be normal, but it does happen. "Normal" to some is weird/different/disturbing to others. My family dynamics are not this way. But, I certainly have friends who have had similar situations. Different strokes for different folks, ya'll. Er, or communication processes.

I liked this post, Angela! It's nice that J & J seem to have worked out their issues. One way or another.

C

Anonymous said...

I don't think that it is a normal for Jordan's family either. It seems like his mom was a bit shocked by it. His dad was just taking his direction from Jordan. Glad to see they worked it out - doesn't matter how.
~Katiesue

Anonymous said...

I think it happens with guys sometimes... They cant express their emotions too well, and after a good punch up, it all seems to be sorted, the agression and testosterone is spent, and the feelings have kinda been thrashed out, they understand each other.. All is resolved and all is ok... I don't think it happens frequently though... Not that I condone violence or this kind of behaviour at all... I guess girls on the other hand express their feelings more and are more verbal and scream and cry... Stereotypical? Yea, I guess, but true in the most part, I feel...

Xee

Dido said...

I agree with C. My family is certainly not like that and my Dad was always anti-violence, but I do know people like that. And this does not seem to be a regular occurance - just years and years of pent up frustration on both of their parts. JMO!

MonkeySpeak said...

Anon - I don't know if A is like this with guys but very often you see a bit of someone in their writing and very many women ARE like this with their men.

They get very wrapped up in relationships early on and lose themselves in it. They easily drop everything, including friends and family, for men and relationships that may or may not work. Im sure all of us have done it once or twice - many grow out of it, and unfortunately many don't. This character hasn't. She is young. She obsesses still and comes across as very immature. There are a lot of people in the world who are more interested in marriage than themselves. If that is their MO then that is their MO. To each is own.

It's codependency that you have to look outfor and this character is VERY co dependent. She can't do things on her own and has to be involved in every little thing because I don't think she can allow herself to focus on HER. Even when she tries to she winds up being a busy body or involved with someone. Notice, even the "month she was single" she wasn't even really single. She can't let people live their own lives. Has to be involved in everything. Even other characters IN THE STORY see this about her. (again, comment on character... sign of good writing that we get this involved).