Monday, April 28, 2008

Has Enough Time Passed?

Harriet rambled on and on as I sat with her in Jordan’s living room that morning. There was a moment or two when I was almost wished that John was still being a jerk to Jordan so that I could be in the kitchen with him. I loved it when I had a chance to be that close to him, there was nothing like spending little moments at his side. I loved being with him, whatever he was doing – whether it was standing in the garage, handing him tools whenever he asked or in the kitchen with him as he cooking up something delicious or even sitting on the couch in his arms, just relaxing, while watching a movie. I was so comfortable with him; it seemed that there was nothing outside of the world that we created when we were together. It was perfect.

“So I told John that it would be great having Mike and Eric in town now – it’s been way too long since all my boys were home.”

“Mmhmm,” I nodded but I wasn’t really listening to Harriet. The low voices coming from the kitchen were taunting me; I wanted to know what was going on in there. I wanted to know if this was for real. “Excuse me,” I blurted out as I jumped up.

I left Harriet in a sputter on the couch while I went into the kitchen. “Hey sexy,” I walked up to Jordan and wrapped my arms around his waist. I took a deep breath as I buried my face in the back of his shirt. I love you. My heart soared as I thought those words; I did love him – very much.

“Hey Babe,” his hand closed over mine. “I thought you were hanging out with mom?”

“Yeah,” I sighed and let him go as I noticed his dad trying to pretend he wasn’t watching us. When Jordan turned towards me, I flashed him a smile. “I just wanted to see how breakfast is coming – I’m hungry!” I rubbed my belly for added conviction.

“You are always hungry,” he chuckled as he reached out and placed his hands on my belly. “I can feel the growling!”

“Oh shush!” I slapped playfully at his hands. “You can’t feel anything.”

“No?” He raised a brow. “I can feel –” Jordan stopped short as Jenna’s voice came over the baby monitor resting on top o the fridge.

“I’ll get her!” I spun around and took off for her room.

“The hell you will!” Jordan called out after me before he turned to his dad and told him he’d be back. “Get back here woman!”

“Don’t call me ‘woman’!” I called back at him as I came to a stop outside Jenna’s door.

Jordan came skidding to a stop just in front of me. Before I could move, he wrapped his strong arms around me and pulled me to him. “I’ll call you whatever I like,” he growled against my neck. “You’re my wench.”

“Wench!?!” I stared up at him in shock. “I’m not a wench!”

His deep chuckle vibrated against my neck as he pressed his face back there again. “But you don’t deny being mine.”

“Of course not,” I replied immediately. “How can I deny what I know in my heart?”

“Your heart.” He pulled back and I turned my face upwards until our eyes met. I bit my lip as his eyes darkened. “Would you –” his finger travelled down over my chest and stopped over my heart. “Tattoo my name here?”

“Why?”

He shrugged. “Because…”

“Ok,” I laughed. He raised a brow. “As soon as you get a tattoo that says, ‘Property of Anna Christenson. No trespassing. All trespassers will be shot on site.’

He stuck out his bottom lip as he slipped his arms around me again. He stared up at the ceiling, not saying a word; he was thinking. “Ok,” he said finally. “I’ll do it.” Slipping on hand down between us, he cupped himself. “There should be enough room to tattoo that a couple times.”

“Ha ha!” I rolled my eyes. He laughed. “Come on you freak,” I turned to push Jenna’s door open. “There’s a little girl in here who wants out of her wooden prison cell.”

Even though I wanted to be the one to go to Jenna and get her out, I was able to control myself long enough to let Jordan pass in front of me and make his way over there.

“Good morning Sleepyhead!” He exclaimed happily as he bent over the railing to pick her up. “How is Daddy’s little –” his nose crinkled. “Ewwww, what did you do?” He held her out at arm’s length. “Did you poop in your diaper Jenna?”

Jenna stared at him for a moment and then turned to me with a sly smile on her face.

“Oh no,” Jordan chuckled. “I know Anna didn’t poop in your diaper, Stinky Bum!”

Pressing her fist against her mouth, Jenna giggled at the grossed out faces Jordan made as he walked over to her change table. While he started to change her, I slid over to where they were and leaned against the edge of the table. I got a chuckle or two out of the faces he was making and the running commentary on how stinky Jenna’s bum was.

“Remind me not to feed her anything green,” he gagged at one point when he pulled the dirty diaper down over her bum and got a load of what she was packing around. Leaning down, he kissed Jenna’s forehead. “Daddy didn’t need any stinky presents J-Roll. You gave me plenty last weekend!”

She just thought he was the funniest thing going. The entire time he was changing her, she giggled like her life depended on it. I couldn’t help but think that Jordan was a fun dad. This led me to wonder if he could be a serious dad when the situation required.

Of course he could, I thought. Just because he doesn’t like being serious, doesn’t mean that he can’t be. There had been plenty of times that he was required to be serious and he did it well.

Thinking about the kind of father Jordan was led me to wonder if he would be the father of my children. I found that the most I thought about it, the more I really wanted it to happen. I started to wish that we were alone and I was able to talk him into crawling back into bed.

“Anna?” Jordan’s voice was full of concern as he gave me a gentle shake. When I gave him a questioning look, he told me that he had asked a couple times if I was going to come with them to the living room. “Are you ok Babe?”

“Yes,” I smiled, falling into step next to him. “I was just thinking about how much I love you.”

“Really?” He grinned before continuing teasingly. “I suppose I love you too.”

The rest of our visit with his parent’s went really well. While Jordan and John finished breakfast, Jenna and Harriet played with Jenna’s toys on the couch. When we all sat down to eat, John insisted that Jenna sit by him and he proceeded to feed her before he even touched a forkful from his own plate.

Just before his parent’s were about to leave, Jordan decided to tell them how much it meant to him that they came by and visited.

“You say it like it has never happened before,” John commented.

“Well,” Jordan glanced at me. “It hasn’t.”

“Yes it has,” John argued. “I’m pretty damn certain that your mother and I have been over here on more than one occasion to visit you.”

“Then I must not have been home at the time,” Jordan muttered.

“What is that supposed to mean?”

Jordan groaned. “Nothing dad, just forget it.”

“No,” John took a step closer to Jordy. “If you got something to say to me son, then you damn well better spit it out.”

I could tell he really wanted too but at the same time he didn’t.

But in the end, he did.

“As far as you’ve been concerned, dad, I’ve been nothing but a disappointment. You’ve never come over to visit me and you barely let mom come see me.” Jordan crossed his arms over his chest and stuck out his chin. “I know damn well if I wasn’t dating Anna, I wouldn’t have spent the morning with you today.”

“That’s not true,” John snapped. “Coming over this morning had nothing to do with Anna!”

“Bullshit!” Jordan bit out. “You never had time for me before. Never!”

“Jordan that’s not true,” his mom cut in.

“No, no,” John waved her off. “Let the boy think whatever he wants Harriet.” John turned to go. “Come on, let go.”

Jordan wasn’t done. “Why didn’t you ever love me dad?”

John stopped.

“You told Anna that bullshit story about blaming me for Nick almost drowning but that was over 20 years ago dad! Why the hell don’t you care about me?” Jordan reached out and spun his dad around. “Why did you hate me? What did I do?”

“I don’t hate you Jordan.”

“Bullshit!”

“I don’t!” You could see that John was becoming more and more frustrated like Jordan was. I wanted to tell Jordan to just leave it but Harriet caught my eye and shook her head. She wanted me to leave it alone and let them do this.

“You do! You’ve always hated me and I don’t know –”

“You never needed me, you son of a bitch!” John yelled at him before spinning around and stomping out the door.

Silence settled over Jordan’s house as the front door slammed shut. I slowly turned to look at Jordan and found him staring at the spot his dad just stood; he was utterly confused.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay!! what a GREAT post!!

KBear said...

oh boy! can i relate to this one. matt calls me his "wench" all the time!

It's so conflicting: jordan always thought his dad didnt love him, cause he wouldn't help him out and he thought he had to do it all on his own, but now, it seems like john thought jordan never needed HIM.

Im glad that they are soon going to get to the bottom of it all hopefully and start off fresh between them

good post angela! hows your back?

Dido said...

I agree Yay! Thanks for the post & I just found the one on Janie's blog today too - SCORE!

Anonymous said...

thank you angela! that was a great post! i too hope their relationship problems soon come to an end.... thansk again!!


`a*

MonkeySpeak said...

i love the father son twist.
question: isn't a critism on the blog so don't jump on me! its an observation on a character.
am i the only one who finds that anna has a tendency to 100% lose herself in relationships. To be honest, I don't know much about the character. She falls in love quickly (I get the whole Jordan thing) but even with Josh, within months or less shes questioning whether she is gonna have kids with them, she doesn't like hanging out with anyone but boyfriends when she has them. i just think she gets so over involved. i know its new and fresh but she never pulled out of it with Josh - im curious as to how she acts with Jordan. Especially since she was really rude to his Mom.

Anonymous said...

1) Why did anna go into the kitchen?! Seriously why does she have to be so nosy, can't she just sit there and let her boyfriend do something on his own? It's so pathetic!!!

2) Jordan should have dropped the subject and brought it up at a more appropriate time without ruining a perfectly good morning. He could have sat down and had a conversation with his father at some point in the near future. It's like he's hell bent on having his father 'ruin his life' the guy doesn't sound all that great, but Jordan certainly doesn't help the situation.

Anonymous said...

My Mantra - I totally agree! She loses herself in a relationship. Plus, I think they are over the top with the sappy, touchy feely crap all the time. They are apart for ten minutes and all she can think of is seeing/touching him again. I don't think it's very realistic. At least not to that extreme. Love the story, but I'm just sayin'....

Anonymous said...

I totally think that Angela is an amazing writer, so please don't take what I am going to say as "bashing the story"! I think that Anna has some serious issues! She is only what- 23 or 24 and all she thinks about is having children! And just becuase she isn't with Jordan- she can't even have 1 conversation with his mom? And like one month ago she was in love with Josh (team Josh by the way!) and now she is competely in love with Jordan? I don't think she even know what love is! She confuses lust with love. Just to reiterate- this is an amazing blog- but Anna is a little immature, Josh is awsome, and Jordan is cool too, but I miss Josh!

becmig

Mehreen said...

Well, I'm 23 and I'm pretty obsessed with having children, but omg, Mantra & bearcat read my mind today! The sappy love stuff is a little over the top, especially since we've seen it all before with Josh. Granted this probably goes a little deeper, but Anna definitely throws herself into relationships wholeheartedly.

I was really glad we got the John/Jordan confrontation though because all the happy/touchy/I love you stuff was getting a little boring. I would probably never do that much PDA in front of my bf's parents!

MonkeySpeak said...

Yea - I mean, Im cool with a hug and a peck - I've even been "touchy" with just friends in front of my parents - I have VERY liberal parents and it takes a lot to phase us... but I have to agree, anna is very immature and I dont think girls our age (I'm 24/25) understand the responsibility of love. the guy im dating talked to me about kids and marriage and stuff the other day and its threw me off. it hasn't been long enough for us to consider it and here anna is drifting off into day dreams about him fathering her kids... SHE WAS JUST doing that with josh a month or two ago - NOT to mention she was FIGHTING jordan over taking care of HIS daughter? Anna needs a wake up call. shes co-dependent and definitely has some serious issues

MonkeySpeak said...

Lemme take that back - some girls our age DO UNDERSTAND the responsibilities of love - I don't think anna is one of those girls.

and a peck here and there - awesome - hugging is fine - but has anyone here ever seen adults maul each other in public? no. its like at the "coming out" dinner. all anna could think about was touching him. DUDE. get a GRIP.

KBear said...

lol@mantra!

it's good you rephrased that..lol.. cause i was just gonna say! i'm 26, and just got married 6 months ago, but I've been with my husband and very much in love since we were both 19! we were discussing marriage and kids at 23, but im from a small town, and i grew up with all my friends married and having their second by 22, so that's what is realistic to me. to him, he was thinking more in his 30s to start having kids, and that's too old for me, so we are trying to meet half way.

i think with anna, it's everyone around her too - they are all married, having kids, even if it's adults. im surrounded by that, and it gets to me that yes, while im still young, i don't want to be having my first in my 30s. that's more a preference than anything, but TO ME, it's too old.

What's too old to me, might be perfect for someone else though, so i think it depends on the person. I have been wanting to have kids of my own since i was 20, and i was ready by 23 to have a child. it just hasn't worked out yet. hopefully soon.

Anonymous said...

I think I'm going to do something a little different...

MonkeySpeak said...

Mom was 25 when she had me. It's actually really awesome because we are having our 25/50 party together soon. HUGE blow out. I want Hawaii or some HUGE party. My grandma turns 80 too so well throw that in too. We are all within a month of one another. bam bam bam. its great.

I agree with you kbear. To each is own. I find anna to be a bit overbearing with her obsessions regardless of age. I think if a 30 year old was acting the same way id sit her down and rub her back and say sweetheart - what about your career. What if it never happens for her ya know?

AND to what you are sayingw ith the boyfriend thing I do get it. I normally would have said 30 is PERFECT for me to start poppin out the clones but I date older guys. The guy im seeing is 7 years my sr (seeing not dating) and he mentioned not wanting to be an old dad. should this work out and we did want to spawn (yea its just how my family talks... hahaha spice are parents spawn are kids) then id have to consider his age and take all that into account. SO yes, everything is TOTALLY circumstantial! And I dated a guy for almsot two years from a small town (REALLY small town.. ever hear of Newberry FL? There is one light) all his friends were married w/ kids or even divorced at that point.

ps = anna dont take what we say as bad. the fact that we get so intense about the character just means that we are very into the story. its a good thing.

mum said...

whatcha thinking, Angela??

Anonymous said...

I have to agree a little with the fact that Anna and Jordan's groping is a little over the top almost bordering on inappropriate. I understand doing that in public, even amongst friends, but in front of parents I think that is just rude.

kmorales4 said...

Shoot, I'm utterly confused too. I don't get John, I don't think anyone does, but hey I love this story so much, I don't care if I'll ever understand him.

Anonymous said...

Well right now I'm thinking that wait times at the clinic here in town are crazy! I went there at 8:30 and just got home ~l~

Storywise, I'm thinking that I'm going to try something different soon...but I'm not going to say what because it might suck and I might end up not doing it ~l~

ctiger said...

Well i just have to say i don't get where everyone is getting the PDA in fromt of the parents in this post. For the most part they were in the hall..........in front of Jennas door. Not the living room where his mother was or the kitchen where his dad was. I didn't find the "her wrapping her arms around him" inapporperate. I would do that in front of my parents. As for Jordy grabbing himself and talking about the tatoo....they were again in the hall so not in front of his parents.

Sorry i just had to get that off my chest. LOL. Angela love the blog and the story and even the touchy feely part. Sorry but at 23 i was that way too and see nothing wrong with it. Keep the story coming.

Chris

Anonymous said...

I would never say to my boyfriend "Hey Sexy" in front of his or my parents - can you say innapropriate?!