Friday, May 2, 2008

Summer Faded Into The Fall

And Jordan was like a missing person – I barely saw him at all.

It didn’t bug me at first, not seeing Jordan all the time. I knew he had lots of stuff going on with his daughter, his brother moving back into town and his dad finally spending the time with him that he should have years ago.

In fact, all the last minute cancellations on our ‘dates’ didn’t even faze me because I knew he wasn’t out banging some other chick or running around on me. I trusted Jordan more than I ever trusted anyone else and I knew that was due to the fact that we were best friends before we started to date.

While Jordan was spending time with Jenna, or helping Mike get settled, or bonding with his dad over some old car or new woodworking project – I wasn’t sitting around staring at the walls waiting for him to call me out of the blue and want to hang out. No, I was actually out making new friends and helping out the community.

The end of August was a busy week for me at work, along with all the MOD changes I had to do, the district manager was visiting and all the management in the store was in a panic. The last time the DM came to visit, he wasn’t too impressed with a lot of little things and this time we were hoping he was in a better mood.

“You haven’t seen Linda, have you?” I asked Barb as she ran through my department checking to make sure everything was prefect for the DM’s visit.

“No, sorry Anna, I haven’t seen her yet.” Barb started to walk away and as she went she told me that she would check to see is Linda called in.

Linda was a hard worker and she was very friendly towards all the customers, no matter how bitchy they were to her. If I wasn’t feeling that great, she would do something to cheer me up. When Josh and I broke up, Linda gathered all the books and magazines from stationary that featured some activity that you could do on our own, or some club that you could join to make friends and have a good time. When I told her that Jordan and I were giving it a shot, she gave me the biggest hug and, through her tears, she told me that she was happy for me.

“It’s almost like this is happening to me,” she bawled. “I remember feeling the same way when my Randy asked me out for the first time.”

When Barb paged me a few minutes later to come to the front office immediately, I was very worried. I ran towards the front, if there it wasn’t something important Barb would’ve called my phone in Infants or paged me to call her. I knew this wasn’t a good sign.

“What’s going on?”

With a grim look on her face, Barb handed me her manger phone and told me Linda was on the phone. I wanted to ask what was going on but Barb walked out of the office and closed the door behind her.

I stood there in the quite office, staring at the phone in my hand as everyone went about her business outside the door. I took a deep breath and brought the phone to my ear. “Hello?”

All I heard were tears.

“Linda?” I grabbed a chair and sat down. “What’s wrong?”

A couple heart wrenching sobs came over the line before she tried to speak. It took her a while and as she spoke it felt like my whole world was falling apart along with hers as she told me how the father of her kids, the main bread winner, fell thirty feet to his death on a construction site. She asked what she should tell her kids, she asked how she was supposed to give them everything they needed. She told me that Randy was her heart and soul, she didn’t know if she could go on without him.

It was the hardest call I ever received. There wasn’t a damn thing I could’ve said to her to help her through this so I did all I could do – I cried along with her and promised her that everything will be ok. “If you need me to do anything, just let me know, I’ll do whatever I can.”

She asked me if I could come and sit with her. Then, in the next breath, she mentioned the DM visit and said it was ok.

I knew I couldn’t leave work, but for a moment, I really didn’t care what happened if I did. She needed someone, she was all alone at the house – her family only moved to the community a couple months before and they didn’t have any family around.

“I’ll call someone,” I told her but she told me she would be fine.

When we hung up, I immediately dialed Chad’s number; Mary and Susan were spending the day together. “I need a huge favor,” I told Susan as soon as I got the ‘how are you’ out of the way.

I don’t think Susan was too thrilled that I was asking for something until I told her what was going on. “Oh my God!” She gasped. “That poor woman, of course we’ll stop by and see how she’s doing.”

After thanking her, I told her I would call Linda and tell her – to see if she would mind someone coming over for her. She didn’t mind, in fact, she cried and thanked me. “I didn’t want to sit here alone,” she told me before asking for Susan’s number.

I sat in the office for a long time after I hung up from talking to Linda again. It was in that time that I came up with some ideas of how I could help her out. I walked out of the office and at the morning meeting, I shared with everyone (Linda had asked me to let everyone know) what was going on and my plans to help her out.

This was the start of what would become a drive for me, to help those who needed it as much as I could. And I managed to get my family and the people in the community that I knew involved with my project.

My charity work kept me pretty busy when I wasn’t doing my day job but I still managed to hang out with my friend and family, and go on dates with Jordan when he was free.

It was great. Life was good but I was tired all the time. Getting up early for work and not getting to bed until midnight or later most nights was taking its toll on my system. Something had to change. I knew it but I didn’t make any steps to change it.

The first Friday of November finally rolled around. It was one I was looking forward too for a long time, Jordan didn’t have Jenna that weekend and he made some mention about us going out of town for the weekend. It would be the first time we got to spend any real time together in months.

I was in the lunch room, packing up my stuff so I could go home when Nick come waltzing in for his shift. “Hey Trouble,” he greeted me like always. It was fun to have him working as an unloader at the store. I got to see him everyday I worked and for a moment or two, it was nice to be around him without his family.

He walked into the locker room as I was saying ‘hello’. “Don’t go anywhere,” he called out. “I wanted to thank you for tomorrow night; I’ve been looking forward to it all week.”

“What?” I wandered back into the locker room. “What about tomorrow night?”

“You know,” he pulled his locker door open and dropped his keys into it. “The guy’s night that we are having tomorrow night; Jordan said you were ok with giving him up for the night.”

It was probably a good thing Nick wasn’t looking at me; my look would’ve struck him down.

“Anna?” Nick turned slowly to look over his shoulder at me. “Jordan did talk to you about it, right?”

I forced a smile. “Sure,” I shrugged. “I must’ve forgotten.”

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

anna apparently needs to make it clear to jordan that he doesn't get to just toss her aside whenever he finds something better to do. he should have told his friends he was finally spending a weekend with her, or he should have let her know as soon as the offer came up and made sure it was okay with her if he just totally bailed on her for the weekend. i understand he's busy, there is no need to be a jerk!

Anonymous said...

does anyone feel like she tried to make this post sound like she isn't completely absorbed into relationships only because we all said something about it?? I am starting to really not be interested.

kmorales4 said...

Anonymous at 1:41 PM

Shut up. If you don't like it, just stop reading. This is free remember. Stop being so ungrateful.

Dido said...

I think Angela is catching us up timeline-wise again, at least that is the way it seems to me! :)

Lynn said...

I am hoping that Jordan has a surprise planned for Anna, and Nick is just helping. Otherwise he is a jerk.

Anon 1:41 that was really uncalled for.

mum said...

I'm glad Anna has found a "mission" so to speak. I hope I never receive a call like that.

I'm wondering if Jordan isn't planning getaway for Anna and Nick just said that to throw her off. Anyone else have that suspicion? I hope that's the case or Jordan is in for it!

EJ said...

Thank you kmorales!! Well said... I think the point is to get us absorbed into her relationships... Nothing exciting went on so she skipped some time...

Anonymous said...

why of course that's why I wrote this entry...I mean it would have nothing to do with the storyline as I've been planning it for the last year or so that I've been writing this blog ~l~

Dido, yes, I am moving the story along timeline-wise. I need to get to a certain point before I blow things somewhere else ~l~

I hope you are all having a great day! I'm in the middle of getting things ready for a BBQ tonight! Yes, that's right a BBQ, it's that warm out. It's hard to believe that only a week ago there was a blizzard in this area!

Angela

Anonymous said...

I think nick is lying so that anna will be that much more surprised..

and can we keep the snooty little comments to ourselves unless we feel like owning up to it. honestly its really chicken shit the way some people use anon. if u have something to say own up to it or just go back to pre school and learn ur manners.

B

Anonymous said...

I wonder if moving the timeline along is part of how she plans to bring the story lines together and mix the characters.
I am excited to see where that goes:)

Anonymous said...

Suuuuurrrreeee Angela had this 'planned' it had nothing to do with the fact that everyone was commenting on it in the last entry then all of a sudden VOILA all our concerns were blown apart by the very next entry. I used to really like this blog, now I think that it's just getting ridiculous. It's hard to keep a storyline going for so long, and Angela unfortunately you're not very good at it...
I would like to see a lot of short stories as opposed to this one never ending one.

Anonymous said...

I'm gunna have to agree with Anon 4:21pm.

No offense Angela because you're stories are great but just like a wonderful tv show sometimes writers just run out of things for the characters and it starts to get out of hand.

But I will continue to read whatever you write!

DDgirl said...

I still really enjoy this story, and hope you'll go on with it for a long time angela!!

Mehreen said...

Wow, way to be harsh. I kind of agree that my first thought reading about how busy Anna suddently got was a response to everyone's comments about her being obsessive in relationships. I still like the story though, and I do hope Jordan didn't blow her off w/o even saying anything, Nick better be setting her up for a surprise!

Unknown said...

I wonder if some parent's never taught their kids "if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all" or maybe that was just mine.

I don't care where the story line is going I just love reading it. Thanks Angela :)

Anonymous said...

After reading this post and the comments I went back and read the comments from the other posts in the past week or so and I have to say I agree with a lot of the comments. I think that the amount of PDA in the presence of his parents was over the top and I think that Anna was rude in the way she spoke to his mother. (but a couple of his mom's comments were rude, so I dunno.. maybe it evens out.)

Hamsa- I do agree that Anna seems very self-obssessed and obssessive in her relationships. That kind of obsessiveness is really pitiful and pathetic. I have a friend sho is like this and she cannot fathom why I'd be annoyed when I havent heard from her in 3 weeks or more. So yes it's over the top, but it happens in real life so it's realistic. Also I just want to point out that the only time (aside from what's talked about in this entry) Anna spends with her family or neices & nephews is when Jordan is busy or at work. And she frequently talks about or is thinking about Jordan. There is more to life than that relationship.

I also see the similarities in her actions now and her behavior when she dated Josh.

Also, Wasnt really a fan of how fast this entry seemed to pass time. Nothing happened in 6 months, that's a little hard to grasp, especially when she was conteplating and imagining having children with Jordan. This entry just didnt seem to jive with the tone and pace of the story. Like back when Anna visited Mike in the city with NIck & Jordan- that one visit took a whole month to post about (and the story seemed to be stalling) and then the posts all the sudden jumped weeks ahead. I think the mushy-gushy stuff was going to get repetitive and stall the story so A jumped ahead. A bit too far of a jump "flow-wise" in my opinion, but still a fairly decent post. And Latsly- I do notice the coicidence of the comments this past week or so and the sudden jump in the story (along with the different tone and feel to this entry). It all seemed a bit too explainatory and as if it was a justification. (ie- to prove she does have a life outside of Jordan) Also a little weird that the work people she's supposedly close to are only mentioned now.

Note- None of this is meant as mean or hurtful criticism. Angela- I really like and enjoy your writing and I admire the quality of your work and your ability to keep it going for so long and keep it interesting.

~T~

Anonymous said...

The jump was only from the first two weeks in August to the beginning of November.

The story hasn't changed, it's just setting up to go into the next part of the story that I've laid the groundwork for eariler.

If you read Tanner's blog, you would understand why the jump was necessary at this time.

Anonymous said...

i read tanner's blog! i'm happy those catty girls got fired :) just thought i'd say that! also, i'm kind of mixed up in what everyone is saying. although the stories do seem to start out awesomely strong and then filter off a little.. i think that they always come back with a vengance. i think that if everyone keeps posting negative comments like this then angela really is going to cut off the anna blog and then everyone will ruin it for the people who do enjoy reading it, and they should just shut their mouths. honestly, this is a fictional story. let anna be obsessed with jordan if she wants to! hasn't she been in love with him since oh, i don't know, HIGH SCHOOL? sheesh!

Anonymous said...

It is a fictional story, but it has to take on a bit of reality. Think about your life, I know during the winter months my life doesn't stop. By the time the kids are out of school for the summer life has slowed down, nothing happens. Of course it was the opposite when I single, nothing in the winter and all kinds of stuff going on in the summer. I like the way Angela summarized things up and moved on a few months. She did say she wanted to bring the time lines together and intertwine them. Good job.

Anonymous said...

GREAT story. I am glad you are catching us up since I know there was quite a lag behind. Hopefully soon you can do that again to catch us up.

I know Anna's been busy so maybe Jordan said something to her, or he is taking her for granted. Maybe he's just trying to be nice and giving her a night to relax too bc she's been so busy.

As for the nay-sayers, if you really don't like it and aren't interested just stop reading. The rest of us still enjoy it!

Vikki said...

I just got caught up on the blog, so I haven't read any of the other posted comments, but GEEZ people chill out.

This is a fictional blog. Angela is the author. It's her prerogative to do what she wants with the storyline. Whether you belivev or not that she has planned out the story, oh well. It's her story to tell.

Bottom line here folks: IF YOU DON"T LIKE IT DON"T READ IT.

I'm tired of people $#!tting on the writers of these blogs when things don't go the way they expect or want. If you're one of the people who made a comment, you should be glad that she took it to heart and did something different.

Vikki said...

Now, about the post. I REALLY hope Jordan is not taking Anna for granted. Maybe he is trying to surprise her for the weekend. But part of me feels like it's going to end in disappointment.

Can't wait to see what happens...

Dido said...

I agree with Vicki and I'm glad that Angela does not take the negative comments to heart. I know many of us have seen the same thing happen and the blogger completely quits and disappears forever. And then NOBODY ever gets to know the end of the story. Thanks for your patience Angela! :)