Thursday, February 28, 2008

Talking To Jenna

Despite the fact that I was super tired, I found that I couldn’t fall asleep once Jordan had left me alone in the guest room. I spent the remainder of the night tossing and turning as I begged for sleep to come take me away. But it never did. So in the end I just laid in bed and waited for some sign that Jordan was awake and up for the day.

It was shortly after 9 when I heard him moving around in the kitchen. I gave him a few minutes by himself before I jumped out of bed and went to join him. “Good morning,” I cheerfully as I entered the kitchen.

“Hey,” he replied as he stood at the counter playing with his griddle.

“So?” I slid up beside him. “What are you doing?”

“Making pancakes,” he turned from the griddle now that it was on and walked over to the fridge for eggs and milk. Stopping at a couple cupboards on his way back from the fridge, he pulled out a big bowl, a glass, spoon, whisk, pancake mix and a measuring cup; the entire time, he never even looked at me once.

I tried not to let it get to me. “Can I help with anything?” I asked with great enthusiasm.

“Nope.”

“Oh,” I frowned. “Are you sure?” Normally he would let me measure out the mix or the water or something.

“I have everything under control,” he informed me. “Why don’t you go watch TV or something?”

“But I don’t want to watch TV, I want to help you.”

“I got this,” he said firmly.

“Oh,” my shoulders slumped. “I guess I’ll just –”

“Yeah,” he cut me off. “Just do that.”

Feeling very hurt, I turned around and headed towards the living room, only to change direct and run into the room I slept in as tears threatened to spill down my cheeks. Jordan was upset with me, that was clear and I hated it. As I sat on the bed, I wondered if maybe I should just grab my clothes from the dryer and go home, he obviously didn’t want to be around me at the moment.

After debating it for a while - arguing that he wasn’t upset with me just with the situation and the fact that I wasn’t making it any easier on him – I decided that it would be best if I didn’t take it to heart and leave. My reasoning for staying was that he didn’t ask me to leave, just to do something else instead of helping him.

So with a smile on my face and some confidence restored, I opened the guest bedroom door and walked out into the hallway. I was on my way to the living room when I heard Jenna crying out in her room. I can go get her, I thought. It may not be what Jordan suggested but it keeps me out of the kitchen with him.

Turning around, I made my way to her room. Pushing the door opened, I couldn’t help but grin when Jenna looked up and smiled at me. “Hey Sweetie,” I tucked a strand of hair behind my ear as I walked over to her crib. “How are you doing this morning? Did you have a good sleep?”

Jenna stood up in the crib and held her hands out to me.

“You want out of that little prison, don’t you?” She grinned and I laughed. “Yeah,” I glanced over my shoulder and listened but I didn’t hear Jordan coming down the hall. “Well since daddy is making breakfast, he shouldn’t mind if I take you out, right?”

Picking her up, I brought her to my chest and slipped a hand down to support her from the bottom. “Ewww!” I made a face that she laughed at. “You peed through your diaper! You got your jammies all wet!” Holding her out at arms length, pretending that the thought of pee all over her grossed me out, I took her to the change table and sat her down.

“Now,” I looked around, grabbed the wipes and a diaper, and then looked down at her. “Oh,” I bit my lip, looking towards the door again, not sure what to do. “Umm,” I turned back to her; she was giving me a funny look, like she wanted to know what was taking me so long. “Ok,” I sighed. “So here’s the deal. Your daddy, you know the funny, good looking green eyed man that keeps calling you ‘Jelly roll’?”

Jenna tilted her head to the side and gazed up at me.

I chuckled, “Yeah, you know who your daddy is. Anyway, so last night I think I did something to make your daddy upset with me.” She looked away and I groaned. “Ok, I know why he’s upset with me, I don’t really blame him, I – wait, I really shouldn’t be telling you this, should I?”

She didn’t say anything, obviously.

I shook my head and wondered if I was losing it. “Anyway, you daddy is upset with me and you are wet but I don’t know if it would upset him more if I changed you or if I went and got him to do it. I mean,” I frowned. “It’s not that I can’t do it, I’ve changed many diapers before, I just don’t want to do something that would upset him anymore. Does that make sense?”

Jenna shook her head and I laughed.

“Of course it doesn’t make sense, why should I be worried about if he would be upset that I changed your pissy diaper when he has many more reasons to be upset with me. Like me being stupid and asking him to give me a month.” I started to undo the snaps on Jenna’s jimmies. “What the heck do I think a month will do? It’s not like it’s going to change how I feel about your daddy.”

Slipping her out of the pjs, I sighed. “Jenna you have no idea how lucky you are to have Jordan for a daddy. He’s the kindest, gentlest man I know. He’s smart, he’s funny and he would do anything for those that he cares for.” I smiled, “And you know what? He doesn’t even realize what a great guy he is – or at least he didn’t, I don’t know if he has finally realized it yet or not.”

Jenna was chewing on the corner of the travel baby wipes container, totally ignoring me but I didn’t care, I needed to just talk. “Do you know that he never thought that he would be a good daddy?” I leaned down and kissed her cheek. “But you love him and enjoy being with him, don’t you Sweetie?” She giggled. “Yeah,” I sighed. “You know he misses you when you aren’t around? You can see it in his eyes when someone mentions your name or he sees a little kid with their dad. It’s so great to see too.”

Whipping the pissy diaper out from under her, I rolled it up and tossed it in the garbage before taking the wipes away from her. “Your daddy has changed so much you know. Before he found out about you he was always down on himself and saying how he would never be a dad because he was afraid of being like his dad, your grandpa.” Jenna looked up at me when I said ‘grandpa’.

“Yeah, I know it’s hard to believe it now but there was a time when daddy didn’t talk to your grandpa much but things have changed, they’ve grown closer since you’ve come along and I couldn’t be happier. It tore your daddy apart thinking that his own daddy didn’t love him and that he wasn’t good enough. And I have to tell you, it really hurt to see your daddy hurting like that, I tried to make him see that it wasn’t like that but he didn’t need that from me, he needed to find that out for himself and you helped with that. You managed to open up the lines of communication between your daddy and your grandpa and I, for one, am very grateful for that.”

I went quiet as I cleaned Jenna and fastened a new diaper around her waist. It wasn’t until I went to pick her up so I could go get a new pair of pjs for her, that I realized she was looking at me curiously. “What?” I stared down at her. “Are you wondering what your daddy wanted from me? Or are you just wondering why I stopped talking?”

“I don’t know what to tell you Jenna.” Picking her up, I sighed. “No, that’s not right. I know what he wants from me; he wants me to give him a chance.” Walking over to her dresser, I held her on my hip as I opened the top drawer. “Your daddy told me about six months ago that he loved me but I was just starting a new relationship with Josh so I thought he was lying to me because Josh was taking up a lot of my time; time I would normally spend with your daddy.”

“Long story short, I told her daddy that it was too bad, I was in love with Josh and I wasn’t ever going to look at him as anything more than a friend, so give it up.” Jenna screwed up her face, I wasn’t sure if it was directed at what I said or the frugly red and purple pjs I held up. “I know,” I groaned. “It was so mean of me. Your daddy was my best friend and to say something like that to him? Argh, I felt so bad but at the time I thought it was the right thing to do, I didn’t think I felt that way for him.” I rammed the frugly pjs into the back corner of the drawer and stared down at Jenna. “But then your daddy kissed me.” She stared back at me. “Yeah, he kissed me and it shattered the box that I had long ago locked any feelings for your daddy that weren’t ‘friendship’ related in. And things just got messy. I was so confused. My heart and mind were telling me that I loved Josh but at the same time they were telling me that I always loved your daddy. I didn’t know what to do and the fact that Josh was here that morning and sort of caught your daddy and me, well that didn’t help at all.”

Shaking my head, I started poking around in her drawer again. “So Josh broke up with me, I pushed your daddy away and life became so miserable. For the longest time, I convinced myself that I was miserable because Josh dumped me but looking back over it, I wonder if it was really that, or if it had something to do with not seeing Jesse.”

“’Esss!” Jenna exclaimed with a giggle and I shook my head.

“Oh no, you are way too young to giggle over boys!” I pulled out a pair of white pjs and started to put them on her. “I love children,” I told her. “Ever since I can remember, kids have always been my downfall and sometimes I wonder if the fact that Josh had Jesse, who is so adorable, was the main reason I loved him? I’m not saying that was the only reason I felt something for him, I know that I had feelings when I first met him but I wonder if the fact that he was a daddy influenced my decision to be with him?”

Jenna squirmed as I tried to do up her last snaps and I groaned. “And if that’s the case,” I picked her up in my arms. “If Jesse was a reason that I felt so strongly for Josh, where does that leave me with your daddy? Do I love your daddy for the man he is? The man who’s always been around when I needed him and even when I didn’t? Do I really love the guy who can make me squirt milk out of my nose without trying? Or am I feeling this way because he’s the daddy of a pretty, blonde haired little girl who couldn’t be more like her daddy if she tried?”

Turning from the dresser, I shrugged. “I really don’t know Jenna. I know that I thought I loved your daddy when I was still in high school but was that real love? Or was that loving a guy who’s always been my friend? If I don’t really love him, what will happen if we get together and it doesn’t work out? Can your daddy and I still be friends? Or will I lose the most import –” I stopped dead in my tracks. “Oh my God!” I exclaimed, scaring Jenna. “Do you hear me?” I asked her. “Do you hear what I’m saying?”

She stared blankly up at me.

“I’m doubting my feelings for your daddy because I’m afraid, yet what am I afraid of? Losing him!” I shook my head in disbelief. “All my doubts circle around the fact that I’m afraid that by dating your daddy, loving him, I’ll lose him. But what the hell have I been doing for the past 23 years, if it hasn’t been loving him? He’s always been the most important person in my life, outside my brothers and their families. Sure I’ve been friends with your uncle Nick just as long as your daddy but it was always your daddy I went too when I needed someone. It was always your daddy I shared the deepest parts of my soul with. Your daddy knows what makes me tick, your daddy knows how I think, and your daddy knows…me. And he loves me despite all of that.”

I started for her door, “And I asked him to give me a month? What the hell for? To torture the both of us?”

With a newfound understanding of how I was truly feeling, I marched down the hallway towards the kitchen, determined to tell Jordan that the whole month thing was not going to work for me. When I turned the corner and entered the kitchen, I gasped in surprise as I came up solid against Jordan’s chest. “Jordy!” I exclaimed. “I…”

Not a word was spoken by him but he managed to shut me up with one movement – the rising of his hand to reveal the baby monitor. Before I could even respond to the image of the baby monitor and get use to the fact that he heard every word I spoke to Jenna, his arm slipped around my waist to draw me to him as he lowered his head, blocking out everything except for the feelings that exploded in me as his lips captured mine.

66 comments:

Melissa Robinson said...

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY FRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOODDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I have always LOVED jordan! From day one and I think he is amazing! OH yay!!! Anglea if I knew where you lived I would buy you dinner!

Anonymous said...

Double post pleeeeease!!!! I don't think I can wait until tomorrow to hear what happens next!

Tina said...

YAY!!! Awesome, awesome post!

Anonymous said...

This was one of the best posts...EVER. Thank you so much for this wonderful story-I've always hoped that Jordan and Anna would get together. Can't wait for the next post.

Revee said...

This was sooo amazing. I can't believe what a talented writer you are. Please do not end this story. I am so in love with the characters. Yea for Jordy and Anna!

Anonymous said...

YAY!! YAY!! Loved this post. Very insightful into the whole Anna/Josh/Jordan story. Angela, you totally rock. Can we have a double post?? Please?

-Karen

EJ said...

even though I'm not Team Jordy, that was a freaking awesome post.

and mlg6504- LOL you crack me up!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela! I know I haven't commented in a long time, but I'm definitely still a completely devoted reader!

You have accomplished a MAJOR feat...I have been on Team Josh since day 1, but over the past few posts I have been converted to TEAM JORDAN!!!

Loved, loved, loved this post and am totally rooting for Anna and Jordy!

rosecheeks18 said...

BEST.
POST.
EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ctiger said...

Oh yes yes yes, doing a happy dance here. LOL. This was a totally fabulous post. I wasn't on team Jordan but over that last few posts i have really come to see they should be together. As she was talking i was just waiting and waiting for Jordan to come over hear what she was saying and to find out he heard it ALL!! That was great. I so love this blog. Can't wait for the new posts and check so very often. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with all of us.

Chris

diana said...

your absolutely killing us!!! we waited this long for something substantial to happen between Jordan and Anna and now we have until tomorrow to find out what happens next:( please please please double post

Anonymous said...

that has to be the besttt post ever!!! I LOVE JORDYYYY

Anonymous said...

O.M.G. That was one of the best posts ever. I just love the way you did the story to reflect her talking to Jenna. Sometimes you need to talk things out, out loud to figure out what you're feeling. I can't wait to find out what happens.

Unknown said...

two words....

FREAKIN AMAZING!

oh....and pleeeeeeease double post!!! Pretty please with sugar on top? I'll be your best friend!!

Carmel Beauty said...

OH MY GOD!!! That was amazing! I did have a feeling that he was in the doorway, but I didn't think about the baby monitor. I loved that post!!!

KBear said...

i have the biggest, stupidest grin on my face.

promise me if you ever end this, you'll give me notice so i can print out the pages to reread again sometime!!!:)this is my all time favourite blog of yours. i just love the characters.

Anonymous said...

I also thought he was in the doorway and never thought about the baby monitor!!!
Unbelievable post...you are amazing!
I am not Team Jordy yet this was awesome.
L

Anonymous said...

This was the best post ever written. I'm still smiling. Please double post today, I don't think I can wait until tomorrow.
Your the best writer ever!!!

Anonymous said...

mlg6504... LOL! I had the same reaction. OMG!!! Gotta love those baby monitors! Hahaha. Awesome, I just love Jordy.

Fantastic post, Angela! I think I have to go re-read the post - it's the most exciting thing to happen today! Yay!

Lynn said...

Well Angela, you are slowing reeling me over to Jordan's side of the fence. Dang it you are an awsome writer!

Loved the post, I never thought about a baby monitor, just thought he would be listening at the door.

Anonymous said...

Oh my god, love love love this post. Angela you are amazing.

Along this path said...

Hi Angela!

It has been a really long time since I have commented, but after that post, I knew I had too. Excellent!!!!!! I loved this post. You are such a great writer.

MH

Vikki said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!!!

OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!! YESSSSSSSS!!!!!

Awesome Awesome Post. I thought he was gonna be in the doorway when she turned around!! But this was so much better!!! I am so excited. I'm at work just about to cry I'm so happy. And to think I was on Team Josh for so long, but ths just seems ike the way things are suposed to be.

PLEASE PLEASE PELASE double post!!!!!! PLEASE!! PLEASE!!!

Anonymous said...

This post brought tears to my eyes!
I loved it, it was your best one ever!!!!!!
I hope now they will stay together! They are so right for one another.

Anonymous said...

Ohhh, I have goose bumps! I kept expecting him to be in the doorway as well. Awesome post. It is about time Anna figured out what she was feeling.
Newit

Unknown said...

All I can say is I LOVED THAT post! Not that I don't love all of them but you get the picture!

The Middle Child said...

YAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYAYA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! YEAH BABY!!!

Anonymous said...

omg omg omg omg omg omg that was absolutely amazing!!!!!!

Lady said...

Okay, I can't stop smiling for some reason. I feel like this happened to me! I, too, want to print this out and make a book for my collection. I love this blog!!!

Keep it going, Angela!!!

Lady

Anonymous said...

double post!!!!!!

waggsgirl3022 said...

OMG I am so happy!! I have always been team Jordy =) I cant wait for tomorrows post....


Seriously Girl, I keep thinking there is no way you can top your last post and you ALWAYS do! My goodness have you got TALENT =)

LOVED THIS POST

Anonymous said...

I have to say I have never posted a comment and have ALWAYS been team Josh. You just made him seem so real and passionate and sexy. I was so anti-Jordan all the way...until now. You have such a gorgeous way of describing a character and making people fall completely in love with them! Your use of timing is incredible! Thank you so much for a little escape from my daily reality.

Oh, and I have to say, I have a 1 year-old and having already been caught several times by it, I was so thinking baby monitor!

kmorales4 said...

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It's finally happened. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehaw!

Mehreen said...

mlg said it best. I thought it was so sweet and sometimes, you just need to talk to someone who will listen and not talk back! I'm glad Jordan wasn't just listening at the door, can't control the baby monitor! Omg, I LOVE THEM AND I LOVE THIS POST AND I LOVE YOU FOR WRITING!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this post was amazing. I can't wait for more!!

Wow, that's all I can say and also can't stop smiling :-)

Anonymous said...

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can't wait for the next post!!
Great Job Angela!!

Sandy

Anonymous said...

That was great Angela.

It always seems to help to talk to someone who can't comment back. It really helps sort out your feelings and make a decision the way Anna did.

Great Job!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

wow! that was freakin' awesome......seriously like the BEST. POST. EVER! ...well so far, cause we'll have to see what happens after that kiss;)...
i can't wait to hear what happens! you are truly talented at writing, angela!
anna and jordy all the way!

Anonymous said...

This is one of your best posts. I love all your blogs but this is my all time fav. You are very talented..This one gave me chills. Cannot wait for the next.
Heater

Anonymous said...

this was a great post!!! i am SUPER excited to hear what happens next! i am soooo happy for both of them! you are a great story teller... hurry with the next post PLEASE!

The Middle Child said...

What more will there be to write once these two get together? It will be like the end ... or seem like it, the happy end!

DDgirl said...

W.O.W.!!!!!

thank-you so much Angela!

Dido said...

He grabs her at the waist....and She wakes up in a cold sweat!
Just kidding! But with Angela, you never know!

Awesome post, amazing how the simple ones, her chattin with Jenna, are the most powerful!

Stacey

Unknown said...

COOOOOOOOOMMMMEE OOOOONNNNN! Please post today! It's already the afternoon....and I really want to see what's gonna happen!

Pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty plllleeeeaaassseee????

Vikki said...

Alright stacey, Don't go giving her any ideas!! LOL!! I can't wait for the next post, but the comments are sometimes just as entertaining!! We're great readers!! :^ )

KBear said...

once they get together, it wont be the end. those two can get into some serious trouble together. lol

like, oops, im pregnant now what?
or, josh tries to get her back and they have to deal with that.

and dont forget her newest niece/nephew coming!

Anonymous said...

~back is killing me~

~pain killers aren't helping~

~very tired~

~can't think~

~writing sucks~

~wanting to cry~

~giving up for today~

~sorry...so sorry~

angela

Anonymous said...

Oh Angela,
Don't be sorry. You need to take care of yourself. Hope you find something to ease your pain.

waggsgirl3022 said...

Hunny,

never apologize for not feeling well!!! We will patiently wait till you get yourself better!!!

Feel better =)

Anonymous said...

You don't need to apologize for being sick. Get better soon. I've read this one a few times, I can keep re-reading it because it is so so good.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

I'm a long time reader of all your blogs but have never commented. Simply put - you are AMAZING. Your writing is great, you interact with your readers, and top of all that you just seem to be a very caring person - it shows through! Even your last entry - to let us know about what is happening was eloquent.

I even love the community of readers that you have created. Wish we could do more than just send warm positive thoughts & prayers your way.
As always... you are awesome & I appreciate all that you do for us. Take care of yourself...
~Cathy

Anonymous said...

Karen, I've read it 4 times already and it's just as good as the first time. I love this blog. Angela you are a great writer. I hope you feel better.

D

Anonymous said...

Awww... poor thing... your back hurts... i hope you feel better...

Anonymous said...

Angela,
I've been a reader for FOREVER and this is your best writing! I've also been team Jordy since the beginning and I am SO glad to see them get together!

So sorry you're not feeling well, hopefully some rest will help.

I can't wait to read more!

Julianne

Anonymous said...

GREAT POST!!!
Take your time and get better.
Your faithful readers will be here when you are feeling better.
Or better yet...
any doctors or chiropractors in the house???

Nic said...

YESSSSSSSSSS! Finally! :D

Hadn't thought about the baby monitor either. But I knew Jordy was hearing this somehow.

Love love love this post (well all of 'em actually).

Melissa Robinson said...

ohhh poor angela! Feel better you!

Anonymous said...

sigh this sucks
good post though

KBear said...

feel better soon. the anticipation is killing me, but i would rather have you at your best than something quickly put together.

get well. i understand about pain killers not working. but for my uterus, not my back. so i feel your pain (sort of)

get well soon!

Unknown said...

I can't wait until tomorrow!!!

KBear said...

in answer to your poll: I'll be 26 this May coming:)

Unknown said...

Grrrr!

Are you feeling any better? I don't know how much longer I can wait for an update with Anna and Jordan! I have been wanting them together ever since the beginning!

I need my VFTC fix! I am a pure addict.

The first step is admitting you have a problem right??

Anonymous said...

I hope we are getting an update today!! I cannot wait to see what happens next with Anna and Jordan

-Karen

Carmel Beauty said...

Okay I will take that first step with you Just Me My name is Carmel Beauty and I am a Book Junkie! I hope you are feeling better Angela ;-)

Anonymous said...

~s~ Yes, I'm feeling better and yes, there will be a post today...I'm working on it at the moment. Should be done soon...I think ~s~

Angela