Friday, February 8, 2008

Things People Say

The girls and I walked into the hotel lobby the next afternoon loaded down with bags from our mini shopping trip. We were deep in conversation about our plans for the evening, we were going to drive over to Mike and Eric’s to visit for a few minutes before they took us out to Autumn’s for a late supper.

“Hey!” We heard someone call out as we waited for the elevator but neither one of us turned to see what was going on because we didn’t think it was directed at us. The elevator’s doors opened and we were about to step onto it when the voice called out again. “Hey! Don’t get on that elevator.”

The girls jumped back and in unison we all turned to see Scott walking towards us with the entire lobby watching him - including a tall, bald, older man in a suit who didn’t look too happy.

“You stood me up,” he said with a laugh as he stopped in front of us. “I waited and waited, saved the table all night but you never showed.”
“Awww,” I pretended to feel sorry for him.

“Yeah,” he lowered his head, “it was pretty sad, the regulars were laughing and pointing, calling me names and everything.”

“Well,” I reached out and patted his arm. “Next time a girl says ‘maybe’, don’t get too excited.” I turned to move towards the elevator but he stopped me.

“Do you think you’ll take pity on me and meet me tonight?” He turned to the girls. “What does it take to convince her?”

Cassie and Lindsay looked at each other and shrugged, “Flowers are a good start. Jewerly is nice too.”

“And chocolate!” Natalie piped up. “I like chocolate.”

I couldn’t help but laugh at them before telling Scott that none of those were necessary. To which, he smiled until I told him that tonight wasn’t possible. “I already have plans for tonight and,” I held up my hand before he could say anything. “Just so you know, we, the girls and I, have plans for most every moment of our stay here. I’m sorry,” I reached over and pressed the ‘up’ button on the elevator panel. “But the whole purpose of this trip is to spend time with my nieces.”

Scott stared at me for a while, his face unreadable. I was getting a little uncomfortable under his gaze when he slowly started to nod his head, “I understand,” he said. “Family is important to you.”

“Yes,” I smiled. “My family is very important to me, without them, I wouldn’t be where I am today.”

“Where? Standing in the lobby of this hotel?” He grinned, “You know, I think your family has just become very important to me too.”

“Oh my God,” I laughed as I rolled my eyes. “That was…”

“Cute?” He raised a brow. “Cute enough that one time I ask you out, you’ll pause long enough to make me think you are gonna say ‘yes’?”

Behind me, I heard the girls snickering and I decided that it was time to get a move on before Mike started calling to see where we were. “See you later Scott.”

“Ok,” he replied. “You ladies have a great evening.”

We got on the elevator and Natalie pressed the button for our floor. Just as the doors were closing, Cassie stepped forward, pressed the open doors button and called out to Scott. When he turned around, she told him that breakfast could be convincing too. “We’ll be in the restaurant around 8 tomorrow morning.” Releasing the button, she stepped back as the door closed on Scott’s smiling face.

As the elevator started its lift, she turned towards us with a satisfied look on her face. “What?” She asked when I shot her a dirty look. “We have to eat, he has to eat. It’s not like anything can happen when we are there.”

Ok, I’ll give her that, having the three of them ‘chaperoning’ would be the same as having Zack looking over my shoulder. To tell the truth, I was glad that I wouldn’t have to be with him alone, I wasn’t sure what I would do. He was really cute.

In our room, the girls and I quickly cleaned up and got dressed to head over to Mike’s. As we were walking out of the room, the telephone on the nightstand rang but the door closed before I could stop it. “Oh well,” I shrugged and looked at the girls. “Whoever it was, if it was important, they have my cell number.”

The girls have never been to Mike’s place before. In fact, they hadn’t really seen him since he moved to the city, so going there was a special treat for them because they considered him family just like Jordan and Nick. He was Uncle Mike.

On the walk to his door, Natalie stopped me. “Aunt Anna what do I call Uncle Mike’s boyfriend?”

“Aunt?” Cassie joked and I slapped her arm. “Ow!” She rubbed it. “I was just kidding.”

“Well it’s not funny Cass. Eric deserves the same amount of respect that you would give anyone else. He’s a great guy and he loves Mike.” I knelt down in front of Natalie. “Honey what do you want to call him?”

She thought about it for a minute and then told me she wanted to call him ‘uncle’ too but wasn’t sure that he would be ok with that. “Daddy says we call Uncle Mike ‘uncle’ cause he’s basically family so if Eric is dating with Uncle Mike, would he be family too?”

I loved how easily she accepted the non traditional lifestyle that Mike lived but I didn’t know what to say to that. “Well Natalie, why don’t you ask Uncle Mike how you should address Eric? He’ll be able to tell you better than I could.”

She must’ve been happy with my response because she continued down the hallway, passing by Mike’s door and I had to call her back.

Mike answered the door looking deliciously handsome in his black dress pants and light green shirt. “Well hello there pretty ladies,” he stepped aside. “Come on in, make yourself at home.”

The girls all gave him a hug as they walked in and took off their shoes before continuing into the living room like Mike suggested. “Hey you,” Mike squeezed me tight when I gave him a hug.

“Watch the goods,” I joked as my breasts squished against his chest.

“Yes,” he released me just enough for me to stand comfortably with his arms still around my waist. “Jordan wouldn’t like it if I damaged those.”

“What?” I shot him a confused look.

“What do you mean, what?” His gaze narrowed as he looked down at me. “Did Jordan lie to me when he called me last night?”

“He called you last night?” Mike nodded. “What did he say?”

Mike’s arms dropped from my waist, “Well he told me that you broke up with the very hot Joshua Baker and admitted to him that you loved him.” He bent his knees until he was eye level with me. “Did you Anna?” He searched my expression. “Did you give my brother a glimmer of hope that his dreams will come true soon? Are you going to take a chance on love with Jordan?”

“Mike,” I sighed, shifting back and forth uncomfortably.

“Damn it!” He cursed as he straightened up. “I don’t know why I even believe Jordan when he tells me anything about you. I should’ve known he was just dreaming.”

“No,” I reached out my hands and rested them on his forearms. “Josh and I did break up, I did tell Jordan that I loved him and I do want to see what this thing is between us…”

“So what’s stopping you?” Mike wanted to know.

I dropped my head forward and sighed. “I don’t want him to be a rebound, he deserves better than that. I don’t want to mess up the friendship that we have and…” I looked up at Mike. “I’m just plain scared Mike. I love him, I do but the thought of taking the next step with him, scares the bejesus out of me.”

“Because you don’t want to ruin your friendship?” I nodded. “Ok, that makes sense Anna but what happens if you don’t go for it and there is weirdness between the two of you because of it?”

“I don’t know, I guess it could potentially ruin our relationship not to give it a chance. What should I do?”

“Oh no,” Mike shook his head as he backed off with his hand held out in front of him. “I’m not going to tell you what to do Anna, this is your decision and you are the only one who knows if it’s something you can do.”

My shoulders slumped. “Everyone thinks Jordan is my soul mate.”

Mike nodded thoughtfully, “What do you think?” He asked and then turned, “Come on, you don’t have to have all the answers tonight or even tomorrow. You told Jordan you needed some time so take that time and think it through carefully.” He threw his arm around me. “Oh and Anna? Forget what everyone else thinks.”

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

TO be completely honest, when I think of Anna and Jordan together it gives me the heeby jeebys and makes me want to be sick. He just seems like too much a brotherly friend. I want to see her with someone totally new! I love the blog keep it up!

amy said...

I could totally see Jordy and Anna together. And I don't think she should date other guys so Jordy isn't the rebound guy. That is so not fair to him if he had to watch her with other guys. If she loves him, I say go for it. And she needs to make her move soon because nobody waits forever.

Anonymous said...

I'm kinda agreeing with Amy. Before I thought maybe she should mess with other guys first but now I see if she loves Jordan just be with him already!!!! Dont let anything or anyone hold you back from being with the person you love!!

Team Jordan FOREVER!!!

Mehreen said...

While Mike is right, I think Anna's gut is telling her that everyone else is right and it's just her fear that's holding her back. She can have breakfast with Scott, but let him know she is done with men who are not named Jordan!

Anonymous said...

K, I have to agree with you, too. If they have spent that much time together that he is like family, doesn't it seem a little weird that they would get together??
~M

Anonymous said...

I really hope that Jordan doesn't show up to surprise her tomorrow and see her with Scott. He will be crushed. Love the story. Can't wait to see what happens next.

-Karen

Anonymous said...

scott is a cutie...but i still like jordan and anna together:) i can't wait to hear what happens at breakfast tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

What about the phone call as they were leaving the room?! I feel like that is going to come up again...
-Paula

Anonymous said...

Anna and Jordan have had a chemistry all their lives. "Something" has always been there---and the timing was never right. Well, it's right now! Anna and Jordan need to hook up NOW!

Anonymous said...

i think anna and jordan should DEF get together- they seem perfect for each other! although, i have been in that situation where someone you value as a close friend tells you they love you. it's not a good time and i can see why she might be scared. but i didn't give him a chance and now we haven't talked in months. so i say go for it or you will always be wondering "what if". can't wait for the next post!!!!