Tuesday, February 26, 2008

After The Baby

“Ok guys,” Nick let out a big yawn as he stood next to Amy’s hospital bed. “It was nice that you all stayed around until Amy had little Nicky –”

“Nick,” Amy cut him off. “Our son’s name is Bradley.”

“I know, I know,” Nick smiled at her and then turned, catching my eye. “Little Nicky,” he whispered.

“Nick!” Amy glared at him as she slapped his arm.

“”You hit me!” He gasped his surprise. “Did you all see that? Our son isn’t even a day old and she’s already beating me in front of him!”

With a chuckle, I tilted my head down to gaze adoringly at the sleeping little boy in my arms; his parents’ voices fading into the background as I gently stroked his soft cheek with my finger. “Hey little guy,” I whispered softly. I was the last one to get a chance to hold him; I let everyone else go first so that there wouldn’t be anyone rushing me to give him up. “I’m your Aunt Anna – your Godmother. I’m not really sure what being a Godmother means but I can’t wait to find out.”

The moment I gave him a kiss on the forehead, I felt something inside me shift and suddenly I felt very sad and alone; tears burned my eyes, blurring my vision. I was so happy for Nick and Amy but I couldn’t help but hate them at the same time for having everything I desired. Knock it off, I scolded myself, it’s not like you’ll never have this. One day you’ll be holding your very own baby. It’s just a matter of time – and finding the right guy.

Right guy? My eyes jumped to Jordan who was standing a couple feet away from me, watching me as he held a sleepy Jenna in his arms. He was smiling slightly but when my eyes locked with his, his smile turned into a frown. “What’s wrong?” He mouthed.

Shaking my head, I shrugged slightly and turned my gaze back to Bradley as he moved in my arms. I know it’s bad but I was really hoping that he was waking up so I could look into those big innocent eyes again.

“What are you thinking?”

Turning my head, I grinned at Jordan as he squat down beside the chair I was sitting him. “I was thinking that it was a good time to go.”

“Yeah,” he chuckled. “Nick thinks that too; he just told us all to get out.”

“Oh,” I exclaimed. “I didn’t hear that I was…”

“Busy plotting ways to kidnap my nephew?”

“Shhhh,” I held up my finger to my lips. “Don’t tell anyone. I figure I could make it to the door before anyone notices.”

“Ha!” Jordan scoffed, causing Jenna to jump and she started to whine. “Nooo,” he groaned. “Daddy’s sorry Jellyroll,” he bounced her gently in his arms but she wasn’t happy; her whines were getting louder.

Reaching out my hand, I stroked her blonde curls. “I think someone is very tired.”

“Yeah, I should have taken her home a long time ago but…” he glanced towards the hospital bed where Nick was sitting.

“Ok guys, seriously,” Nick slipped off the bed and came over to Jordan and me. “I love guys, really, but Amy is getting cranky and wants me all to herself.”

“Yeah, you wish,” Amy chuckled. “I just want to get some sleep.”

Slowly, we all made our way out of the room and down the hallway. I tried to sneak Bradley out but Nick damn near ripped my shirt off my back when he grabbed it to stop me. “I believe that’s my little boy Anna,” he said proudly as he reached for Bradley. “Say good night Aunt Anna.”

I pouted. Nick laughed.

“Fine,” I leaned in and gave Bradley a kiss on the cheek. “I love you Bradley and remember what we talked about; I’m here for you anytime, especially when your daddy is being mean and unfair.”

“Ha ha ha,” Nick rolled his eyes. “Get outta here!”

“I’m going,” I gave him a hug. And I’ll be damned if I didn’t get all misty eyed. “Take care of yourself and you family Nicky.”

“You can count on it,” he assured me with a tight, one armed squeeze. “Take care of my brother,” he threw in just before he returned to Amy’s side.

I turned to see what Jordan was up to, only to find him about to slip the strap of Jenna’s pack over his shoulder. Hurrying, I made my way over to him. “I can take that,” I told him as I stopped his hand from completing the task. “I have to go that way,” I offered when he raised a questioning brow in my direction.

“Ok,” he let me have the bag. Once he said his good byes to his twin, we followed Mike, Eric and his parents’ out the door; leaving Nick and Amy alone with Bradley for the first time since he was born.

It was late. I didn’t even realize it until we were walking down the nearly deserted hallway; the only other people besides Jordan and I were his family who were about a good ten feet ahead of us.

“What are you doing now?” I glanced up at Jordan.

“Gonna go home, put this little one to bed and then go crawl into mine.” He looked at me, “Why do you ask?”

“No reason,” I shrugged. “I guess I should go home and sleep as well.”

After he said it would probably be a good idea, silence settled over us. It was weird but not in a bad way. It seemed like there was something he wanted to say or ask me but he didn’t.

When we left the hospital that morning it was pouring down rain. As quickly as we could, we hurried to his truck trying to keep Jenna as dry as possible as we went. Once she was settled into her car seat and her pack was resting on the floor at her feet, Jordan turned towards me. “Thank you for being here tonight Anna, I really don’t think I could’ve handled it without you.”

“No problem,” I blushed. It was a silly thing to do. “I should really get going,” I said quickly and turned to get out of there before I did or say anything really silly.

“Anna,” Jordan’s fingers grazed my arm.

“Yes?” I gazed up at him, trying hard not to shiver from the warm tingly feeling spreading slowly up my arm as his hand slipped down until he was holding my hand.

“I really don’t like the idea of you driving home this late at night when it’s raining this badly.”

Glancing to the right, I watched the big fat rain drops bounce of the ground. “I should be ok Jordy.”

“Yeah,” he gave my hand a little tug that I wasn’t even sure he realized he did. “But still, I would feel a lot better if you stayed in town tonight.”

“I’ll be fine Jordy; I’ve driven this road numerous times when it’s been worse than this.” I really didn’t want to drive home, I was feeling a little tired but I wanted to hear him say that he wanted me to stay at his place – if he didn’t, Chad had told me that I could stay at his place when I called him just after Mike had called me that evening.

“I know Anna,” his other hand came down and engulfed my free one. “I just think it would be smarter to stay in town,” he paused briefly. “I think you should come home with me.”

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

If Anna stays at his house her old room became Jennas...will that mean that they will share a bed?!?
L

Anonymous said...

Angela you devil! I NEED to know what's going to happen!!!!!!! You, Queen of Cliff Hangers, are killing me!

J

Melissa Robinson said...

ANGELA!!!!!!! First of all, thanks for the post and second of all, DAMN CLIFF HANGERS!!! GRRR!! Do you ever get them in your head when you are trying to figure out the story for yourself? or do you already have a neat and tidy ending?

Anonymous said...

yay! stay at jordy's...maybe for a little bit of late night action;)...
damn these cliff hangers:P

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the post. =)

Carmel Beauty said...

Good post!!

Anonymous said...

I really like the dynamics in the last couple of posts. Yea Jordy and Anna!

-Karen

waggsgirl3022 said...

Love this post (as always) can't wait for the next post! =)

Anonymous said...

Awwww...I loved this post. It made me all warm and fuzzy inside. :)

Vikki said...

Oooooooo!!! I just got caught up...been having interweb issues lately. Darn stormy weather!!

I CANNOT WAIT UNTIL THE NEXT POST!!!!

Anonymous said...

Just to let you all know, like yesterday, today's post won't be up until this evening sometime. I hope you are all haveing a great day.

Angela

Anonymous said...

AWWWWW. I'm such a sucker for babies lately. Apparently Anna is too, LOL. No doubt she will go home with him, but the question is, will they share a bed? And will anything happen? I say they share a bed, but nothing happens. That's just my guess.

Don't forget to check out my blog if you're bored. Nothing as cool as what we got going on over here, but I love to have some readers and commentors.

Mehreen said...

Oh come on, the best thing to do in the rain is get in bed and cuddle! They've done it before, for now, maybe closeness is all Anna needs. Can't wait to see what happens next! Hope Anna doesn't drive in the weather, the last thing we need is a car accident!

Anonymous said...

I miss Josh! She should go home and call Josh. Jordan Bad. Josh Good. Team Josh