Sunday, February 4, 2007

Meet And Greet

“Come on, come in.” Josh nudged my arm as we sat in the car in front of his nephew’s house. In the hour since we finished breakfast, Josh had managed to do the dished, give Jess a bath and talk me into dropping them off at his nephew’s. There was no reason why he couldn’t drive himself; he said he just wanted an excuse to see me later. “Anna?”

I shook my head, taking my eyes of the house, which I had been staring at since he first asked me to come in, and turned to him. “I don’t Josh, I wouldn’t want to intrude.”

He scoffed at that idea, “Honey, trust me they wouldn’t mind. In fact Kerri would probably enjoy having someone new to talk too, someone who is over three feet tall.” He smiled, and it was hard to look at that smile and say no. It didn’t help that he had Jesse sitting on his lap looking at me expectantly; he had taken him out of the back seat before he asked me to come in.

“Ok,” I sighed, taking one more look at the house before I opened my door. By the time I had gotten out of the car and closed the door Josh had made his way around to my door. “Ready?” He asked, slipping his gloved hand in mine. I shook my head but followed him up the drive anyway.

It wasn’t that I didn’t want to meet his family, I was just nervous about meeting them. Not only do I worry that they won’t like me, but the difference in our ages could be an issue for them. Josh squeezed my hand and then let go so he could open the door.

A blast of warm air and the scent of apple cinnamon hit us the moment he opened the door. I glanced at Josh; he had a hugh smile on his face which made me smile. I stood there watching him as he put Jesse down and then crouched down to help him take off his jacket and shoes.

“Uncle Josh?” A tiny voice called out from just beyond the hall, “Daddy! Papa! Uncle Josh is here!” The voice called out as she rounded the corner and spotted us. She started to run towards us when someone swooped out from one of the rooms to the left, scooping her up in both of his arms and proceeded to nuzzle her belly. “Papa no!” She exclaimed in between the giggling and squirming.

“No?” He pulled back to look at her, “Who’s going to stop me? Uncle J…” He was turning around to face us as he spoke, his eyes slid over me and his words trailed off.

“Hello,” I smiled.

He looked at the little girl in his arms, coughed and then put her down. “Hello…?” He glanced at Josh as he held out his hand to me. When Josh told him my name, he grinned and nodded. “Hello Anna, I’ve heard so much about you, it’s nice to meet you.”

Josh didn’t need to tell me his name, if I had seem him on the street I would’ve known who he was, there was no trouble to see a family resemblance. “Nice to meet you too Tim,” I replied, shaking his hand. “You’ve heard about me?” I glanced sideways at Josh, he was pretending he didn’t hear his brother as he hung up his jacket but I could see the color rush to his cheeks.

Tim nodded, “You are all he ever talks about, well besides this little guy here.” He reached out and ruffled Jesse’s hair. “If Matt and Rob didn’t know you, I’d think he made you up, no one is that prefect.”

“Tim!” Josh glared at his older brother, who just laughed.

“What did he do now?” Matt asked as he came up behind his father. “I’m glad you’re here Uncle Josh, now maybe he’ll stop picking on me.” He picked up Megan and smiled at me. “Hey Anna, good to see you again.” Matt was only a year older than me, we hung around the same crowd when we were in high school, although we never really talked that much.

We moved from the hallway to the living room and soon Matt’s wife joined us. I never met Kerri before; Matt had met her after he graduated high school. She seemed nice enough when we were introduced but there seemed to be something going on with her because she didn’t seem to want me there. Or maybe I was paranoid.

“Uncle Josh, I didn’t know you had Jesse today.” Matt said out of the blue as he watched Megan and Jesse playing in one corner of the room.

“I wasn’t supposed to.” Josh stated and then told them about Carol’s visit. “It’s not a problem, is it? I thought Jess could play with Megan while we cleaned out the back yard.”

Matt looked at Kerri, “See the thing is, one of Kerri’s friends is having a party for her daughter, and Megan was going to that.”

"Ten excitable little girls," Tim cringed, "Should be lots of fun."

“I see.” Josh ran a hand through his hair, “Well I guess I could call mom and see if she’d watch Jess for a couple hours.”

“Can’t,” Tim shook his head, “Mom and dad are gone this weekend; visiting Aunt Louise and her family, remember?”

Josh sighed, “Right, I forgot about that.” He thought for a moment then sighed again. “Sorry Matt, I guess I can’t help you after all.”

I watched Kerri as she shot Matt a look that said, ‘too bad, you still have to do it’ and I got the feeling that this was part of some punishment for Matt. “Well, I’ll still be here to help.” Tim said, slapping Matt playfully on the back.

“Oh great,” Matt rolled his eyes, jokingly.

My attention turned to Jesse as he played, I knew that he loved spending time with his dad but as I watched how happy he was as he played with Megan, I was reminded of how lonely Conner got sometimes. Quickly, I turned back to Josh, “I’ll watch him.”

“But you have to go help your niece.” There was a hint of confusion in Josh’s voice.

I nodded, “Yes, I do. But I know that once I get there, I’ll have one lonely 4 year old wanting me to play with him.” I looked at Jess again. “Wouldn’t it be nice if that lonely four year old had an equally lonely two year old to play with?” Turing back to Josh, I smiled. “We know they get along and they do want to play together again.”

Josh looked over at his son, his hand went through his hair again, “I don’t know Anna.” His hand came down on my arm, “It’s not that I don’t trust you with him, it’s just that…” He sighed, “I’ve never left him with anyone before.”

“Well,” I slipped my hand over his which was gently stroking my arm. “Tell you what, if you ask him and he says he doesn’t want to then we'll forget I mentioned it. If he wants too and changes his mind after we get to my brother’s then I’ll bring him right back, no ands ifs or buts about it.” Josh hesitated still; one part of me was telling myself that it had nothing to do with me, while the other part was a little offended that he didn’t trust me with Jess. Slipping my arms around his waist, I stared up at him. “Josh, I’ll take good care of him, I promise.”

Wrapping his arms around me, he pressed his lips against my forehead, “I don’t doubt that you would honey.” He took a deep breath and slowly let it out. “Ok, if he says yes when you ask him, you can take him to your brother’s.”

“Umm, Josh?” I bit my lip nervously. Frowning, he asked what was wrong. “Could you, ummm…ask him?” I glanced over my shoulder at Jess before looking back into Josh’s confused eyes. “If he says no, I don’t…” My lip twitched as I tried not to laugh, “I don’t handle rejection that well.”

Josh stared at me in disbelief for a moment, his eyes searching my face and then he busted out laughing. “Well I don’t want you to be traumatized if he says no.” He brushed his lips against my cheek, “Silly girl.” He whispered in my ear.

“You like it.” I whispered back, kissing his cheek.

“Yes, I do.” Turning his head, he brushed his lips against mine. “I like it a lot.” I sighed at his slightest touch; he smiled and did it again.

Groaning, I wrapped my arms around his neck, “Don’t be a tease.” I whispered.

His lips grazed my cheek, “I wouldn’t dare,” he whispered as he nipped at the sensitive skin beneath my ear.

“Ooohhhh,” I moaned, tilting my head to give him more area to work with.

“Get a room, man.” Matt laughed. Josh and I broke apart quickly, although his arms remained around me. I could feel my cheeks burning as I remembered that his family was standing right there. I pressed my face against his chest and held him tight, knowing that he was feeling the same way I was. I stayed like that; listening to his heart beat for a few more minutes before I stared adoringly up at him and thought I love you.

5 comments:

Anna said...

I'm really sorry that I didn't get to post this yesterday...but I didn't have the time to actually sit here and spend the three hours it normally takes me to write one of these entries ~s~

Like always, I welcome all comments ~g~

Anonymous said...

Great Entry as always! I read every entry again since the beginning yesterday and then I couldn't wait for the new entry. LoL! This is now one of my fave blogs to read.

Anonymous said...

I'm sooo glad you were able to write today. I was going through withdrawals!! LOL!!

GREAT POST!!! Anna & Josh are soooo sweet together. I LOVE IT!!

Keep it coming. I LOVE, LOVE, THIS BLOG!!

Vikki ~yay me being the first post (besides anna of course)~

Anonymous said...

Ok, well I almost had the first post :-(

Vikki

Anonymous said...

oh thank god there was a post today! i don't know what i would have done without one...this post seems too perfect, too calm...there must be drama ahead...i wonder what jordan is going to say about all of this