Friday, February 16, 2007

All Apologies

Jordan excused himself to go get something to drink. I took the moment that I was alone to think about what he must’ve felt earlier. Sure, it bothered me when he accused Josh of hitting Jesse but if I was in his position, would I think the same thing?

I was sitting with my knees drawn up to my chin, my back against the entrance to the kitchen, leaning back against the arm of the couch. I was lost in thought when I felt cool metal on my neck. I screamed; turning around quickly I glared at Jordan before taking the can of Pepsi he offered. “That wasn’t funny.”

He rounded the couch and plopped down in front of me, “Yes it was. You should’ve seen the look on your face.” He opened his can and took a sip. “What were you thinking about?” He paused, “Wait no. Don’t tell me, let me guess.” He sat forward and put his can on the coffee table before turning to me. “I’m betting it had something to do with Josh.” Squinting, he started to hum as he thought. “If it had anything to do with him naked, I don’t want to know.”

Shaking my head, I smiled. “Actually I wasn’t thinking about Josh, exactly.”

“What?” He feigned surprise. “What were you thinking about then?”

“I was wondering if I would have thought the same thing as you did, if I were you.”

Jordan frowned and shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know Anna. But at least you never have to find out.”

“Jordy, I’m sorry.” I reached out to touch his arm but he moved out of my reach.

“You know how I know when you are really mad at me?” he turned to me. I thought about it but I had no idea so I shook my head. “You don’t call me ‘Jordy’.” He smiled for a moment. “I’ve been such an ass lately.”

I raised my eyebrows and looked at him. I couldn’t deny what he said, it was true. “Aren’t you going to say something?” He asked. I shook my head and he sighed. “I hate to admit it but you were right. You were my fall back girl.”

I screwed up my nose when he said that, it’s not something that you ever want to be referred to as. “It was wrong of me to keep Josh’s marital status a secret. It was a mistake letting you know how I felt when I knew you were interested in him.” He paused, “And it was also wrong of my to try and make Josh believe that there was more going on with us than there was.” He sighed and then groaned as he turned to me. “How is it that you are still my friend? I don’t know that I would be.”

I poked him in the ribs, “Because I’m crazy?”

He laughed, nodding. “Yes you are.”

“So you have that out of your system?”

“I think so.”

“Good.” I poked him again, “I was so close to kicking your ass.”

He grabbed my hand, “Well you still might want to do that. I still believe that you are getting in too deep too quickly.”

“Jordan -”

He didn’t even let me get a word in, he spoke over me. “That doesn’t mean that I think he’s totally wrong for you, I just wish you’d take a step back.”

I pulled my hand out of his, “Jordan -”

“I mean,” he continued. “You’ve already slept with the guy. You’ve never let anyone stay over this early, let alone let them in your pants.”

“Jordan!” I gasped. “What I do with Josh is none of your business!” I poked him in the ribs with every word I spoke. Soon he was lying on his back and I was kneeling over him. And he was laughing.

“Only when you can’t contain yourself.” He said grabbing my hands with his, holding them with one while he tried to tickle me. “Then there’s no escaping the ‘oohhh Josh’.” My eyes damn near popped out of my head in shock when he started to mimic me. I struggled to free my hands from his but he held tight. “ ‘Yeah, oohhh yesss right there.’” He moaned through his laughter.

“Jordan stop it. It’s not funny!” I yelled at him as I turned ten shades of red.

“Yes, please stop, it’s going to give me nightmares.” A voice came from behind us.

Jordan immediately let go of my hands and sat up. “Nick! What are you doing here?”

Nick looked back and forth between the two of us. “Amy’s spending the afternoon with her mom so I thought I’d come hang out with you.” He grinned, “Unless I was interrupting something?”

Picking up a cushion I threw it at him. “Jordy’s being mean to me!”

Nick’s brow shot up. “Really?” He plopped on the couch next to me and looked pass me to his brother. “Without me? Man why do you get to have all the fun?” He whacked me with the cushion I threw at him.

Jordan ended up sharing what he was saying to Nick and I spent the next ten minutes listening to both of them moaning and groaning before I had enough and left the room. I didn’t get too far before they caught up to me. “Guys! Please stop it.”

They looked at each other and then shrugged, “It was getting kind of boring anyway.” Nicky said. “Hey! I have an idea. Let’s go shopping.”

Jordan raised a brow and glanced at me. “What happened to my brother? I swear he was just here but…” his words trailed off as he turned back to Nick. “Nicky no!” He tried to run from Nick but he was too slow, Nick grabbed him and put him in a headlock. “This is so not cool!” Jordan shouted.

Nick laughed, “Come on little bro take pity on me. You don’t know what it’s like to have a woman nagging you to go and look at all the baby stuff.” He let go of Jordan, “Amy sent me out to go through the infant department while she’s stuck at her mom’s. She expects me to know what all the crap she’s talking about is!”

Jordan looked at his brother, his face void of any expression. “So sorry man, I didn’t realize you had it so hard.” He slapped him on the back, and continued sarcastically. “Must be just horrible to be married to the woman you love and to be expecting a baby. Life just doesn’t get any tougher.”

7 comments:

Anna said...

There is nothing in the world quite like the understanding between friends. Most times they know what you are thinking long before you do...

My mind is blank...I can't think of anything more to say ~sigh~

Anonymous said...

Lol, well i'm pretty sure that you said enough already. I liked that post. Josh may need to get used to Anna having Jordan as a friend, especially after what he did, but if he loves her he'll try. I know what it's like to have all guy friends and it's wonderful!!!

Anonymous said...

I like that they are okay and I love that Jordan is FINALLY seeing the light. I was beginning to really wonder if she was really going to have to kill him.

And I can speak from personal experience about what Nick and his wife are going through. I talked to my husband about knowing the different baby things. I didn't think he was hearing me because he's that type to say "let's wait and then..." But we went out one night and he wouldn't tell me where we were going and we wound up going to Babies R Us so that he could look around and get familiar with all the big and small things a baby needs. I thought it was so sweet. That kinda showed me that he was ready for a little one. I appreciate Nick for actually doing what his wife suggested. I know how hard that is.

And as for Anna, I really do hope that she does slow down. I would hate for her to get pregnant right now. I remember how Josh didn't want to "do it" without a condom the first time, but this second time, there wasn't a worry of one. I hope they didn't make a mistake this soon in their relationship...

Great story, can't wait for more!

Anonymous said...

i know talking about work is boring.. but does anna ever go? or do we just.. not get that far each post? i know that a few posts is sometimes a few days or sometimes it's just one day.. it just seems like she NEVER goes to work, ever.

Anonymous said...

b/c of carol anna is excused from work for a week...its in the older posts.


anna i can't wait for what will happen tomorrow!!!

-B

Anonymous said...

It sounds like Jordan is still hurt about being treated like a second class citizen by his Dad.

Good post!! Can't wait to read tomorrow's entry!! Keep it up!!

Vikki

Anonymous said...

Job Search: Find a Job from Millions of Job Listings Online. Search job listings to find a job online. Use Monster?s job search or browse jobs to find relevant employment opportunities in you area. Any one with 1and1 Root or Managed hosting? - Web Hosting Talk. Location: Michigan. BEWARE: If you ever plan on cancelling the server, make sure you go to cancel.1and1. Speech-Language Pathology (SLP) Jobs, Audiology Jobs, and Career. American Speech-Language-Hearing Association Making effective communication, a human right, accessible and achievable for all.