Thursday, December 21, 2006

Life's Like That

Everything was black, then slowly the blackness was gone. I could hear low murmurs of voices, they weren't that far away but not close enough for me to hear what was being said. There was a light coming from...beneath me?? I felt like I was trying to wake from a deep sleep; disoriented and groggy. I laid there for a while, my eyes closed.

I fainted! I can't believe I fainted! One look into those amazingly blue eyes of his, one glimpse of his handsome face and you are worst than jello! What is wrong with you? I lectured myself, feeling the embarrassment creep up. You always read in romance novels about women swooning and fainting; about how graceful it is. But in reality, it's down right embarrassing. How embarrassing? I think it rates right up there with accidentally flashing your cleavage in public. Or maybe I just embarrass easily.

"Ama open eyes tay?" I smiled at the almost commanding tone in Jessse's voice. He was kneeling by my side on the bed in the first aid room when I peeked at him. He giggled, "You wake."

"Hey Sweety," I lifted my hand to brush the hair out of his face, knocking his bear from its resting place against my arm. Catching the bear before it hit the floor, I handed him back to Jesse, who promptly hugged him tight. "So who's this little guy?"

"That's Mister Bear." Somewhere in the conversation with Jess, his dad had appeared in the room. "They go back a long way, right kiddo?" He sat on the edge of the bed and ruffled Jesse's hair.

Crawling onto his dad's lap, Jesse replied. "Yes daddy, Mis'er Bear Jesse's."

Wrapping his arms around Jesse, he kissed the top of his son's head and looked at me. "Hello Beautiful."

My chest tightened as he called me that. I had to look away, I had to close my eyes, I didn't want him to see the effect that had on me after all these years. Taking a deep breath, I looked back at him, smiled. "Hello Josh, it's - "

"Well, Anna it's about time you came too!" Barb, the assistant manager on duty, burst in the door. I always liked Barb, she's one of those people who are forever cheerful that you wonder if they are doing anything illegal substances at work. At 30 she's been with the company for 10 years. She started out as a cashier, worked her way up the ladder. She has seen it all and still gets excited everyday to get out there to greet the customers. Working with Barb is always fun and she's not afraid to get her hands dirty, so to speak. "How are we doing?" She looked back and forth between Josh and I; catching my eye, she gave me this knowing smile and winked! Winked? Who does that?

I sat up slowly. "We are doing fine. Ready to get back to work."

Josh's hand came down on my arm as I started to get up. "Do you think you should do that? Maybe I could take you home?"

Shaking off his hand, I made my way to the door. "I'm fine. I'm tough. I can handle anything." He lowered his eyes. I left the room, turned left and headed towards the receiving doors to the front.

"Hey Anna." Josh called out from the first aid room.

I looked over my shoulder at him. He had followed me to the doors, he was right behind me. He leaned against the door jamb as I waited for him to say what he wanted too. "It's great to see you again. I was hoping I'd run into you." Picking up Jesse, he pushed through the swinging doors. "Come on Kiddo, Nana's gonna be worried."

"Bye Bye Ama." Jesse waved at me over Josh's shoulder, Mister Bear dangling from his tiny hand.

I wanted to follow him. I wanted to go back to that moment five years ago when things got so messed up. I wanted that, but I watched him walk away, thinking the one thing I always thought the many times I watched him do so. Damn! He makes a great exit.

"Associate in or around infants call 105 or come to till 6 for customer service." I looked up at the ceiling, sighing as the page repeated. "Associate in or around infants call 105 or come to till 6 for customer service."

No comments: