Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Working

“How did it go?” Linda asked me when I joined her bright and early Tuesday morning.

“Hmm?” I frowned; I was still half asleep despite being up for almost two hours already. “How did what go?” Before I left work the day before, I had filled Linda in on what had happened over the weekend with Jordan and I had told her about having to work with Josh for Cassie’s school show.

“The house hunting!” She exclaimed with a laugh. “Did you find what you were looking for?”

I sighed. “No.”

After a couple hours of house hunting, Jordan, my nieces and I crawled up into Jordan’s truck without having found something even close to what we were looking for.

“That last one was nice,” Cassie attempted but when I glanced back at her, she shrugged. “I’m just trying to help.”

“No worries,” Jordan sighed, then with a tired smile on his face; he turned to me and said, “Do you know what I feel like right now?”

Shaking my head, I told him I hadn’t a clue. “But,” I gave him a hopeful look. “Going home sounds great if you ask me.”

He nodded thoughtfully. “Yes, going home sounds great but –”

We waited but he didn’t finish his statement, so I asked him.

“I feel like having a BBQ.”

“A BBQ?” I raised a brow. “Jordan it’s the middle of winter.” I motioned outside the windshield to the snow covered grounds. “There’s snow everywhere and it’s below 0 – it’s too cold.”

“Nonsense,” he righted himself in his seat and started his truck. “It’s never too cold to BBQ and that’s what I feel like having.” Slipping the truck into drive, he merged into traffic while informing me that we would have to stop at the store to pick up some steaks and wieners. “Oh,” he grinned at me. “Can you make that….” He snapped his fingers as if the words were on the tip of his tongue and that would make them jump out of his mouth. “You know, the stuff with the peppers, onions –”

“Mang,” Cassie piped up. “That’s what we call it Uncle Jordy.”

“Ahhh, yes,” he looked at me. “What do you say?”

I was too tired to really argue with him and just mentioning BBQ was making my tummy growl. “Sounds good Jordy.”

“You didn’t find anything?” Linda sounded just as disappointed as I was the night before. “Nothing at all?”

“Nothing at all.” I confirmed. “We must’ve looked at five or six houses but they all were lacking.” I shrugged. “I don’t know, am I being too picky? Wanting a house that ‘speaks’ to me? One that is everything I want – one that I can see Jordan and I raising a family in.”

“Of course not,” she reassured me. “It’s only natural. I’m sure that you’ll find it.”

“I hope so, Jordan already put his house on the market and there’s been a few serious inquires just yesterday alone!”

As we talked in detail about the houses Jordan and I looked at the day before, Linda and I walked the department to see if there was anything that needed our immediate attention. There was nothing – as usual – Sara had worked the night before.

“Sara’s awesome,” Linda exclaimed as we returned to the horseshoe. “I love coming in after she has worked.” I agreed completely with Linda, Sara was wonderful; I never had anything to worry about when she was working.

“Have you talked to her lately?”

“Briefly, this morning, she seemed to be in a bug hurry to leave though.”

“Running off to see Tanner was she?” Linda chuckled. “She’s so cute when she gushes about him, I just wish they would get together already – he seems like a nice boy.”

I just had time to nod before a customer came up to us and that started the continuous stream of customers for the next couple hours. I was so wrapped up in my work that I was really surprised when Cheryl, the department manager of Electronics, showed up at my side. “It’s lunchtime Anna.”

Since I became department manager, Cheryl, Jamie (Pets department manager) and I have always had lunch together since we all had the same scheduled lunchtime. It was nice because it gave me a chance to make a few new ‘friends’ and catch up on the gossip around work and town.

“Just give me a minute; I need to finish ordering this for a customer.”

Cheryl told me she’d see me in the lunchroom before she disappeared again. A minute later, I finished with the order and as I stood up, I called out to Linda. “I’m going for lunch.” She came around the corner as I dropped my gun and printer on the horseshoe counter.

“No problem,” she told me after I gave her a couple things I wished for her to do while I was on lunch. “Enjoy,” she called after me.

I planned on it. I had leftover pork steak, mang and potato in my lunch.
But as we all know, sometimes life has other plans for you.

I was walking along by the car/booster seat displays, making a list in my head of the seats I would need to stock when I got back from lunch when I came up solid against someone.

Lifting my head, I opened my mouth to apologize for not watching where I was going but that’s not what came out of me at all.

“What are you doing here?”

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why won't he just leave her be. And he'd better be there to apologize. (Assuming it's Josh.)

Anonymous said...

ok this blog is getting a tad boring and with the large amounts of time in between posting I would say that it is time to wrap this one up and move one.

kmorales4 said...

Dearest Anon @ 7:58am,

OH SHUT UP. Ever hear the term constructive critisism? What you're doing with comments such as yours is disencouraging Angela to write, which btw, is a FREE read, if you needed to be reminded. No one is expecting you to like each and every entry, but you are not entitled to bring her down by telling her how to do her writing or if/when she should wrap the story up. Her style is unique and only she should decide if/when her story should wrap up, twist, turn or end. If you or anyone has stopped enjoying this story, feel free to leave, but don't complain. Your opinion, even if it's a critisism, should ALWAYS be constructive and encouranging. If you're still not having fun when you read here, don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU kmorales4!! Anon 7:58, if you aren't enjoying it why are you still checking it? Does Angela work for you? Are you her momma? Why are people so rude? Angela has a wonderful writing style, and while she has a LIFE, I still enjoy whatever she posts. Even the posts I don't agree with, I'm happy she's given me something to disagree with. That's the point of someone's writing. Don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.

mum said...

I don't know what happened, so if my post duplicates, I'm sorry.

Anyway, what if it isn't Josh? It could be Hank and Jenna. She used to always run into them. It seems like a long time since we heard about them. Just a thought.

mum

Anonymous said...

I have personally loved all of Angela's recent postings (THANK YOU ANGELA) but I don't have a problem with Anon 7:58 saying that they find the post boring. I mean part of the reason for posting comments is to hear back from the readers, so if a particular reader thinks something is lacking then they should say so. I just don't understand why everyone is freaking out

Unknown said...

While I agree with kmorales4 about comments being constructive, I also think that the person who said this was getting boring wasn't being rude or mean at all.

It's not like the person freaked out and said something like "OMG! This blog is so damn boring! Just end it already!"(not my opinion...i love this blog! hehe) See, THAT would be rude. But the person was just stating their opinion about the blog, which they have every right to do.

A comment like anon's shouldn't get the responses that it did. I honestly think that the people who said shut up to them were more on the rude side than anon.

Not trying to start drama yall, just saying that whenever someone actually says something that's not positive...rude or not...they get jumped on for it and that's not fair.

Just my two cents*

kmorales4 said...

Dear Anonymous @ 10:45am and Just Me

I understand both of your points, but the reason why I freak out is the ungratefulness of some people. Angela writes this blog for free, FOR FREE YA'LL, as a Gift to all of us. She doesn't have to do squat for us if she doesn't feel like it. In fact, with her talent she may as well write for a magazine that charges $7 an issue (uhum cosmo cough cough)but she doesn't. To top it all off, she's probably had moments in which she feels that she "HAS TO" write in order to not let us down when we don't even pay her. We don't have to buy or donate anything in exchange for some entertainment. Heck, we don't even have to click on any ads so that she can receive a itty bitty check in the mail. Anon @ 7:58am remarks, while they aren't rude, they are ungrateful. I know it's probably impossible to like every single post, but the fact still remains that this is at no cost to us, and we should just be grateful that she continues to write.

BTW, that Shut up comment was definitely rude of me and I'm sorry Anon @7:58am. Thank you Just Me for pointing that out.

Anonymous said...

I gotta agree 100% with Just Me!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Angela,

I have been reading your stories for some time now but have never posted a comment before. I just have to tell you that I love your writing and look forward to new posts. I understand when you can't post--everyone has a life--and I give you credit for writing as often as you do. I paint children's artwork and I know how hard it is to try to be creative on a regular basis. You do an awesome job.

I do wish that people would keep their "boring" comments to themselves. They are entitled to their opinion but I wonder if they would ever tell you that to your face--I doubt it. Being anonymous gives people power which they often abuse.

Please continue to write and I and many others will continue to read.

Thank you for all of your time and creative thoughts.

Joanne

Anonymous said...

I think it's Tanner!