Friday, August 22, 2008

Setting Up Time To Talk

I was driving along, thinking about what was on the agenda for Josh and my second meeting with the kids, when I heard something that pulled me out of my trance. Glancing in the rear view mirror, I couldn’t help but chuckle. Sitting comfortably in her car seat, Jenna held her Dora doll in her tiny hands and, with gutso that would put her daddy to shame, she ‘sang’ her little heart out. It as the cutest thing I ever saw, even if you couldn’t understand a word she was singing.

“We’re almost at the high school,” I told her. “You know, your daddy and I went to this high school when we were younger; we had such great times too.” As I took a walk down memory lane, Jenna stopped singing and seemed to be hanging on every word I said. When I would stop, she gave me a questioning look. When I chuckled, she laughed as if she was copying me.

We were laughing about the time Jordan went to school dressed and acting like a woman for Halloween, when I turned into the parking lot of the drama building. “Oh perfect,” I exclaimed when I saw who was waiting for us.

My door flew open without me even touching it. “I’m so glad you are here!”

“I’m happy to see you too,” I smiled and slipped my hand into his out stretched one.

Motioning towards the backseat, he grinned. “I see you have precious cargo in the back. I bet Jordan is excited to have her…” he trailed off, a frown forming on his handsome face. “Wait, I thought Mike said Jordan only had her on the weekends? Did something change?”

Shaking my head, I told Eric that Jenna being with me was a surprise to me and to Jordan. “Hank’s grandmother is dying and Heather thought it would be a good time for Jordan to get more ‘daddy’ time with Jenna.” I went on to explain that she couldn’t get a hold of Jordan at work, so she asked me to help her out.

“Need a hand?” He asked as I swung Jenna’s bag and then mine onto my shoulder. When I nodded, Eric relieved me of the bags and told me to see to Jenna. “What do you have in here?”

Glancing over my shoulder, I shrugged, “Hopefully everything I’ll need for the show. You know, Jordan and I were up late last night talking tossing some ideas back and forth. It was great, having him listen to my ideas and share his own with me. I don’t think I’ve ever had a boyfriend who matched me as well as Jordan does – mentally and physically.”

Eric was nodding when I turned with Jenna in my arms. “I know exactly what you mean Anna.”

“Mike?”

His eyes lit up at the mention of Mike’s name. “Mike may drive me insane sometimes – being so stubborn and everything – but when he relaxes…”

It was my turn to nod knowingly. “Must be a Pollett trait, Jordy’s the same way.” Reaching for the door handle, I paused to look up at Eric. “But I wouldn’t trade him for any of my exs.”

“Speaking of exs…” Eric motioned towards the closed door. “How is it working with Josh?”

With a sigh, I told him that it will be a lot better when I talk to him. “He thinks he still loves me, and he seems to think grabbing and kissing me will change my mind.” I snorted. “I’m happy with Jordan, really happy.”

“That’s wonderful.”

Wide eyed, I turned to see Josh leaning out the other door. Figures, I thought. “Hey Josh,” I flashed him my best smile. “How are you doing today?”

“Super.”

“Great,” I held my smile. “We,” I motioned between Eric and I. “Are cold but ready to get to work.” Without waiting for him to say anything else, I pulled open my side of the double doors and walked through.

The moment I put Jenna down, she took off for the stage with her arm outstretched, pointing at something. Walking over to her, I asked what she was pointing at. It wasn’t until I crouched down to her level that I saw what she saw – a drawing of her favourite cartoon character, the only, the only, Dora the Explorer.

“Wow,” I gasped as my eyes met hers. “It’s Dora!” She held up her doll for me to see. “Yeah,” I tapped Dora on the nose. “Want to go see her?” She nodded and held out her arms to me.

Jenna was babbling about Dora while she went back and forth from the drawing to her doll when I noticed that the room was awfully quiet. And it seemed a little chillier. With a sigh, I told Jenna we had to go back and sit down. “There are going to be lots of kids in here in a few minutes. Cassie and Lindsay will be here.”

I walked up to the cold front with Jenna in my arms. “Josh, I have some stuff I would like to go over with you before the kids show up.” Handing Jenna to Eric, I asked him to remove her jacket and settle her down with the snack Heather packed in her bag. “This way.” I led Josh off to the far chairs, away from Eric and Jenna.

“What is he doing here?” Josh asked the moment we were out of earshot. “Making this a family production?”

Shaking my head, I just laughed, “I guess you could say that seeing my niece, Cassie, thought of this show. My other niece, Lindsay, is working on the advertising side of things and I’m –”

“You want his dad to help with the set and now you have…” he motioned towards Eric. “What’s he doing here?”

“Josh, I don’t want John to help; John is helping, he’ll be here for Friday’s meeting to see what the kids have for ideas.”

“No,” Josh shook his head. “I already asked dad to help and he’s going to help the kids – not his father.”

“Oh for the love of God!” I wanted to shake him. “Well, I guess they’ll have to work together.”

“Anna –”

“Josh would you stop trying to pick a fight with me? Do you really think acting this way is going to help you at all? You’re supposed to be the professional one, this is where you work.”

“Don’t tell me how to act.”

“Well stop acting like a baby!”

Thankfully the kids started to drift in before it could turn into an elementary school playground fight. Before I left him to start the meeting, I informed him that Eric was there because his radio station was going to do ads for us. “I thought it would be nice if the kids had the chance to work with an accomplished ad guy.”

Josh actually agreed with me on that one.

“Oh!” I smiled at him. “That talk you wanted to have?”

“Yeah?” His whole face lit up. “What about it?”

“You’ll get it.”

“Really? When?”

“Well…” I shrugged. “I don’t know, it was going to be today but now that I have Jenna, it’ll have to be –”

“Tomorrow?” He jumped in. “After school? In my office?” Before I could reply, he changed his mind. “No, not my office. A restaurant….” He thought for a moment. “Oh! The Grillhouse! I’m sure I can get a reservation, no problem.”

I hesitated. The Grillhouse was the first place we went when we got back together. It was where he told me that he was my mysterious caller. I thought about it, did it really matter where we had the talk? If I told him ‘no’, would be insist on something more imitate? I wanted the talk over with, and I wanted him in a good mood when it was all said and done, would letting him have the restaurant be that big of a deal?


“Ok.” I gave in. “See if you can get the Grillhouse Josh.”

12 comments:

mum said...

here we go. let's get to the talk. I can't believe how immature Josh is being. It does seem odd, though, how John and now Eric are wanting to help out. I had to think for a little bit to remember who Eric is.

mum

Lynn said...

I don't like the fact that Josh is so immature all of the sudden. I wonder what happened to the grown responsible man who is taking care of his son and seemed to have it all together. I think if he had been portrayed this way at the beginning I would wonder why Anna or any woman would have been attracted to him.

Vikki said...

Josh is such a brat! I'm beyond over him!! Jenna is so cute!! I love kids at that age.

Dido said...

I think Josh is a total A-HOLE! And Lynn, I think most of us have at one time known a guy who seemed totally together at the beginning and after so long the true colors come out. Just my opinion, but I think that is what happened. Where as Anna & Jordy have actually grown up, Josh was just faking it the whole time and will never change.

Anonymous said...

Angela, thanks for the great post. We appreciate it all!

The reason that John and Eric are getting involved is because Anna needed them. My family always does the same thing. I get started on a project, I pull in those with the skills to help me out fill in those gaps!

Josh is hurting and is trying to hold on. He doesn't see that he is being obsessive and exteme in this. I think many of us have done this at some point in our lives! I don't like it, but it IS human.

~katiesue

Anonymous said...

Angela: I'm not even sure how to begin....I've read many blogs for many years and NONE have even come close to yours. I'm new to your blog and I've gone back and have read the last 2 years worth of entries......OMG!!!! I have NEVER read a blog that actually made me cry and then laugh. I LOVE this blog!!! I loved it when Anna went through all the trials and tribulations with Josh and it made me cry.....BUT then Anna decided to give her best friend Jordy a go....WOW!!! What a better relationship than one with your best friend!!! I love the way this blog is going and can't wait for the happily ever after with Jordy and Anna.....I hope they find the house of their dreams and have many kids to fill their home with happiness!! Keep up the great work....this blog by far surpasses any other I've read!! One happy camper!! All the best...Kaboodall

Anonymous said...

Ok, so I am most definitely the minority here, but I miss Josh, and was completely Team Josh, so the blogs haven't been the same for me. I wish Josh and Anna could work things out, and am happy they are meeting, even though I am sure that Anna's MO is different from Josh's. I agree that Josh has acted immature and stupid, but I think he does love her and is sad that he lost her and that's why he is acting dumb. Also I think that Angela is a great writer, because this blog stirs up so many feelings, anger, happiness,etc which is crazy since it's all fiction!

Anonymous said...

I don't want to nag at all, but I think I may have missed something. Just curious what happened to the daily and almost daily posts? Could someone please let me know? Is there a certain day that we are getting posts noe? I love this blog but don't always have time to read all of the comments and I may have missed the part about the posts slowing down.

Melissa Robinson said...

angela, we miss you! I hope everything is ok and you are taking some time to do something that makes you happy!!

Anonymous said...

I get confused with the posting on one blog this week and another the next so I check them both. But what's happened to this week and this blog? Is it going to be updated or are we going to NHTKOW again next week? I even went and check Once in this life and I supose that's how it goes cause I don't know what's what. I hope everything is ok with the author and we hear something soon. Take care

Anonymous said...

Hey everyone

hoping to have a post later tonight...early tomorrow on this blog. This past week had gone from bad to worse so I didn't have time to sit and relax to post...hoping it'll be better soon.

Thanks for keeping check on my blogs and not giving up, I really appreciate it.

Angela

Anonymous said...

thanks for the update angela, hope everything is going ok!